I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Skinny tires will up the sketch factor..

2. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    I rode my bike on Saturday, Up Maple Springs to 4 corners, nice cruise up and I actually talked to a couple of dudes training for the VQ and a hiker. Haven't been up Maple Springs in years, forgot what a grind the first 3 miles of pavement are...
    Random Shots.
    20161001_092910.jpg 20161001_092916.jpg Motorway in the distance and the burn area 20161001_094600.jpg 20161001_095807.jpg 20161001_100154.jpg 20161001_095810.jpg

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    MS is always fun...but that's the last 3 miles of pavement. :geek::laugh:

Oaken, Mikie, Cornholio and 3 others like this.
  4. tortoise

Name:
    Tom
    Ha Ya I actually had to stop and rest about 4 times coming down, it just seems endless coming down.

Mikie, Cornholio, pperrelle and 4 others like this.
  5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    A quickie to the end of Bell View and back... With some playing on the Coto single tracks that parallel the Bell Trail.

I still hate these gates...
    IMG_1824.jpg

I actually jumped off the single track back onto the fire road when I saw this guy... He let me get pretty close before he ran.
    IMG_1826.jpg

Top of the HAB... Starr Ranch to the left, Coto de Caza to the right
    IMG_1828.jpg

You can actually see the fire road and the single track next to it...
    IMG_1829.jpg

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I can't see the road.....I am too drawn to the funny looking paddle thing next to your right grip. o_O

Mikie, mike, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I can't do a "quickie" on the Bell Trail on the single speed! Although I'm tempted to put a small cog on and give it a try.

That short stem took some getting used to...

Mikie, Cyclotourist, mike and 3 others like this.
  8. tortoise

Name:
    Tom
    He's coming back to the Light...
    2016-10-05-10-45-24-842137408.jpg

Cougar, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Only for flat trails! It seemed like I was always in the wrong gear!

Mikie, mike and pperrelle like this.
  10. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I rode Whiting Ranch yesterday for the first time since the Mtn Lion scare. Conditions dry and loose - we could REALLY use a rain, plus Whiting always suffers from traffic-related trail damage. Bulldozer's been through there recently as well... sometimes I wonder what those bulldozer operators think is going to happen to their work the first time it rains, since none of them seem to care about where they are channeling the water.

I wasn't worried about mountain lions. I was traveling incognito.

$_35.JPG

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I rode last night. First Tuesday back at the Oaks in a while.

Didn't feel that great from the start. Good thing I started running into friends....so it turned into a very social evening. Still got pushed for a couple of loops, even though my legs were MIA.

Cool temps were a nice surprise. Had tacos on my mind....so maybe that was the problem.

Rolled into the garage just after dark.

Screenshot (14).png Screenshot (15).png

12. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I've been fighting a chest cold the lazy man way with zinc/echinacea. I got on my bike today was able to clear out the lungs and hack up a pint of mucus. Feeling much better already.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Pics or it didn't....

Oh - uh, never mind!

Mikie, Cyclotourist and MrGreedom like this.
  14. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    After nearly 4 weeks off the bike I finally got out and rode my bike. I got home from work before 4pm and felt strong enough to give it a go. Pedaled to Oaks from home and went up B's to Yucca then just went up BB to Goat and that was enough. My legs were a little rusty but I took it slow and easy, even stopped going up B's to snap a pic of this little rattler.

IMG_5598.JPG

No PRs would be crushed on this ride and that's perfectly ok, not why I am out there and after my last flare up of arthritis all I care about is staying active in the short term.

IMG_0432.PNG

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    @Cornholio That's the most significant ride report on this thread in a long while. :thumbsup: Glad to hear you got out there. We are all hoping you find the right course of treatments that will hold off your PA and allow you to continue being active.

Cool little rattler too!

Cyclotourist, Cornholio, mike and 4 others like this.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    So there "IS" still hope for him...

17. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    @Cornholio, that you got out and did that ride is a "PR" that Strava and internet mapping systems may never understand. Well done, super impressed, and virtual high fives!

18. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Night ride with @Tom the Bomb and T2 at Marshall last night. Tom's bike is so blinged out it hurt to see it get dirty! Fun ride with these dudes, lot's of other riders out in force as well. One dude on a Foes fat tire pedal assist bike UGH! Made it up the hill like nothin, ay yay yay....:gag:

Adding 2 pics here, one from last night and the other from Monday's ride at Bonelli where the Moon and Venus paired up with each other....

IMG_2726[1].JPG

IMG_2721[1].JPG

19. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield!

20. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    7.5 miles and 1350 feet last night in LCWP/El Moro. Lizard, Old Emerald, Fenceline.

21. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    After seeing Tortoise's post earlier this week, I decided I had to go lose my Maple Springs virginity today. The last time I was planning to ride it, the fire broke out the day prior... so I had to postpone.

Fun little ride - probably very pretty in the Spring after a few rains had tamped everything down and brought out all the greenery. The paved section (3 miles) carries you up 1000 feet, so you only have another 1600 or so to go on Main Divide (4.4 miles). Very powdery conditions on Main Divide, but the ascent isn't really steep at all. I checked my rides this afternoon and was surprised to see I have been up Harding 22 times over the last year, so Maple Springs felt very comfortable. I have to admit I prefer Harding however - prettier trail, prettier views, and nowhere near as loose. That said, I didn't have the time to do the full loop today (Main Divide to the Motorway) so probably an out-and-back on Maple Springs isn't really what people ride it for...

I'll bet it is really nice when water is running in the creekbed.

22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

You are correct.....Maple Springs is a gateway trail. Use it to get to different places in the SA's. An honestly, it is in really nice shape right now. You haven't seen it when it's bad.

I too have been up Harding way too many times in the last 2 years, and yes, it does make the other climbs easier.

Maple Springs is the perfect rain ride.

23. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I hadn't really stopped to think about it, but this is what it looks like when it has only had three weeks of traffic on it! Yikes!

Cyclotourist likes this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Hmmm... 4.4 miles from the house to the kid's high school to watch a little baseball. But if I go through O'Neill, I can stretch it to 10 miles and 1,000 feet. Sounds like a plan! And with a little exploring, I found the path that goes from the neighborhood behind the school right to the baseball field. Win win! :thumbsup:

And the kid had a good outing, so that makes it even better...

25. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    That's awesome! My dad only used a NordicTrack when I was a kid so he always took a car to my games.

26. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    That's the way to bushwhack!! But don't they call them "innings" in baseball?

herzalot and Faust29 like this.
  27. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    A quick inning is a good outing for a pitcher! Never really thought of the word conundrum before... o_O

herzalot and Runs with Scissors like this.
  28. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I got out early this morning for a quick FLoop+ (not the SuperFLoop), on the bike at 0740. Temps were perfect - about 58 degrees when I started pedaling and no more than 75 when I finished. It's about 985,000 degrees now. Okay, only 95. But man it got hot in a hurry. Glad I went early.

upload_2016-10-7_12-58-44.png

29. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    A quick spin to the abandoned car on Trabuco... 16 miles and 1400 feet from the house. :thumbsup:

And I feel like a bonehead... Never knew that the little single track went from the top all the way to the bottom where Plano Trabuco descends into the canyon. I've dropped down the road many times- right past the fun little single track that dumps out at the end of the Trabuco Wash. :bang:

IMG_1831.jpg

Coming down from Trabuco towards the Holy Jim parking lot... Fire damage on the left.
    IMG_1834.jpg

About where the fire started?
    IMG_1835.jpg

Same spot...
    IMG_1836.jpg

30. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    I rode my bike(s) today. Sorta set this weekend aside for the family. Unfortunately for them I woke up early and since they(including Rusty) were still sleeping I took off without them. Since the Ripley is in a sad state of disarray and has parts strewn all across the garage I’ve been riding the Kona for the last couple of rides.

First ride was at o-dark thirty leaving from the garage. inspired by @Grego I threw some skinnies on the Kona to change things up a couple weeks back. This ride was a mixed bag of blacktop & fireroad & even a little single track and fence hopping and for the first time I actually liked these tires. I tried them before on my stiff as a brick aluminum hardtail and hated them but on the Kona with some squish they felt way better. Silent and fast and light they work good on the smooth stuff but don’t get me wrong they absolutely suck on dirt and especially sand which we seem to have a lot of now thanks to this drought. First ride was 22.5 & a little over 3k and I was home by 8:00am just in time for breakfast. Rusty was perched on the corner of the couch waiting for me to get home.

700 x 35c gravel tires look downright goofy on the Kona but I bought em so I gotta bern em up.
    IMG_4873.jpg

Rusty saying “you know you still gotta go out & ride some more with me right sucka?”
    IMG_4880.jpg

Second ride was after breakfast (man I’ve got a great wife). Rusty gave me just enough stink eye when I walked thru the door earlier that he guilted me in to going again. Naturally we took moms orange bike. This ride was only 7 miles but it was just what Rusty wanted. Considering how warm it was I was quite surprised to see as much wildlife as we did. We saw 5 deer(one with a nice rack), two coyote’s, a roadrunner and more rabbits than I could count.

This is what doggy stasis looks like
    IMG_4888.jpg

Rusty also made a new friend with his brother from another mother named “MoMo”. Vizsla’s are a rare breed so to run across another while we were out on a ride was a big deal.
    IMG_4890.jpg

That’s it & bikes are fun...

Marty657, Cisco Roots, Mikie and 17 others like this.