I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Captain eagle eye.

DangerDirtyD, Mikie and rossage like this.
  2. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    And me, probably because I live in Acton, ride a 26" bike, with bar middles, and carry bear spray on my side, while sometimes wearing lycra on a 6" bike. :sneaky:

Cyclotourist, Oaken, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I went out to the Oaks this afternoon. Overcast and cool...I was looking forward to the colder temps today. On the way to Oaks...the clouds cleared and the temps went up. WTF? o_O
    Trails were dry, but you could see that they had received a little moisture. Plus the dirt had a nice crust on it.

I just kept going....once out in Weir Cyn the temps finally cooled back down. The park wasn't very crowded.

Legs felt good most of the time.

Screenshot (465).png Screenshot (466).png

4. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    ^^J, that route of yours looks like a one-horned caterpillar fly fishing whilst smoking a joint. Just sayin.'

5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    J's Strava map as a Rorschach test???

RS VR6, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  6. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    ^^Looking at it a 2nd time I'm seeing a mean-spirited, legless demon with a lobster claw morphed to Alfred Hitchcock's head, sipping from a lake with a long, crumpled straw. My rides are never that interesting.

Unfortunately, I don't have a graphic like that, but "I rode my (friend's) bike yesterday," and the route outline probably looks like a big slug. That's how I felt anyhow. A big slug leaving a slime trail of sweat and endorphins. In other words, I was slow but had a good time.

Late start, rolled down Concourse into Whiting. Still light enough to stay off the sidewalks on Portola, then up thru the sands of time to the base of Mustard. Made peace in the twilight for whatever fate had in store for me and endured the climb for the 1,000th time? Turned on a headlamp to descend Cactus, but it made things worse. Started hearing sounds through the trees like a galloping horse and figured it was the headless horseman. Perfect timing for my cruise thru Sleepy Hollow. Made it out OK but climbing home up Concourse I wondered if the ghost rider hadn't stolen my legs. An owl asked "Who?" and I said "me."

7. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Rode my Quick LCWP Loop today ...Felt like Fall and I had some extra Pep I guess because I PR'd the whole loop ...stopping for less than 1 min on whole ride probably helped. Knew it was going to be a good day when on early climbs I was a "gear up". Then you get 2/3rds through and just decide...well guess I need to push it to the end...see what happens.

Screenshot_20160913-221351.png

8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    A little bird showed me.

rossage and Mikie like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Was the potty stop at the beginning or the end of the ride, and did that count in your record?

I was tracing your route and trying to figure out where you went. Ridge Park, Coastal Peaks Park restroom, fireroad to Lizard, Laurel spur, top of Willow, missing link, fenceline and back to car?

pperrelle, Mikie and bvader like this.
  10. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    ^^LOL That is normal protocol but last night it was a quick elbow pad adjustment at the top of Willow IIR. Fluid levels were optimal as well and thus no relief required. Yup stop time included.

herzalot, pperrelle and Mikie like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Never noticed you had a rigid Highball... nice bike!

12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    The Highball was the bike of choice for the Cannell Plunge... There were 3 of them up there!

Mikie, rossage, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  13. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    They're taking over!!!

Mikie and rossage like this.
  14. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Yeah but you guys were not as fast as Yeties and Special Eds.
    You didn't even catch the Gost of Berni.

Mikie, Faust29 and rossage like this.
  15. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I was too busy writing a song.....got more verses too!

16. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I eased into it as a Cannell virgin, but I did beat Mikie's old slow time. That's a win in my book. I'm keeping that screenshot forever.

17. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Rode to work today and took the longer & funner Tapia route. The 40ish degree temps this morning were quite a surprise but I liked it. Been chasing some nasty creaking noises lately on my Ripley that were making me want to pitch it off a cliff. Swingarm pivot bearings were shot so I swapped them last week and it was silent for about 2 miles and then started creaking again. Last night I decided to just completely tear the bike down and clean/inspect/lube everything and put it back together. Not sure what fixed it but she was perfectly silent today. Only problem was I wasn’t able to shift to my 2 lowest gears and this route has a couple climbs that are doozies. Hmm I never adjusted the derailleur but didn’t have time for trailside repairs in the dark this morning so I just grunted out the climbs. Got to work and started fiddling with the derailleur when I realized hmm the chain sure is frikking tight when on the big gog. Then I realized hmm the bike sure is sitting low. That’s when I realized the unreliable and overly complicated POS DBinline shock was stuck over half way down in the travel (again). This is the second time in 6 months that I’ve had problems with it so I’m ditching it and have already ordered a new Fox DPS Evol with a Ripley specific tune that’ll be here on Friday so I’ll be able to use the dbinline as a paperweight or fishing lure or something.

scan, herzalot, bvader and 10 others like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Cane Creek will replace it for free. Do that. Then sell it. I love mine, but it's my second one.

Mikie, Cyclotourist and Voodoo Tom like this.
  19. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    OK well I rode it home and lets just say the shock didn't fix itself. Who knew you could have pedal strikes on flat ground? just checked and it's at 170psi just like always...

IMG_4816.jpg

IMG_4820.jpg

20. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    This was the replacement...

Mikie likes this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Yup, but they will do it again.

Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  22. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Low rider is a little lower...

Mikie, kioti, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  23. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Quick spin after work. Had my fastest run down Rattlesnake and almost ate it twice. Long slog back up El Moro Canyon and Slow and Easy, then a quick run over to the top of Fenceline and back to the car.

Dirt was perfect after yesterday's rain.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

24. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Really pretty bike there!

Mikie likes this.
  25. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Post work spin with 1.5 legged friend. Very social pace. Looped back on the climbs. PR'd Lynx which was cool. (On the pivot, no less). At bottom of Cholla met an e-biker on a speshy. Wasn't going to comment, 'til he bragged about how it doubles his mileage and makes his climbs easier. I simply said, "E-bikes are like candy, they make you fat." For some reason, he took offense. I followed with a polite, yet direct request that he get the "heck" out of Aliso with his motorcycle. He then made the strategic mistake of saying to a complete stranger that there was a "stick up his ass." Where I grew up, that statement to the wrong guy could actually get you very badly beaten. Yada Yada Yada, he then rode up Cholla at a brisk pace. I followed and passed him. He blocked me for a bit, then let me by. I am fairly certain that he allowed the pass as a goodwill gesture. At the top, I felt like an a@@hole, and when I turned around to cruise down Cholla to ride up with my friend, we did a friendly hand slap. He said "nice climb". I can't let e-bikes ruin my ride stoke.

https://www.strava.com/activities/712724831/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1473908069

Cornholio, Mikie, bvader and 8 others like this.
  26. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Wednesday is my early day, so get to do a little riding. I'm trying to do a little more mid-week so the weekends to work me over as much. So do the quick check: Kids okay? Great. Wife okay? Awesome. I'm outta' here! Two hours riding through the sand and up into the Mentone bench. Real fun loop, probably 75% dirt, another 10% MUT. Tires got bogged down a couple time and I had to HAB through the sand, but pretty minimally. Wouldn't mind having a B+ bike just for this! Felt great out there, and picked up a couple PRs without trying!

https://www.strava.com/activities/712669842

29576197962_99f99c0181_b.jpg

29576202932_b008fcbf39_b.jpg

29062670213_b1ec7ed870_b.jpg

27. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I forgot how much fun this loop and its variants can be with gears... No PRs climbing, that's for sure. But, I did set a few coming down the Vista DH and Waterworks. Both of which are in great shape right now. :thumbsup:

quick loop.jpg

Spare Parts Bikes are fun!

IMG_1700.jpg

28. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Few pics from Mammoth. Day one it rained off and on. Wet snow, hail, pouring rain. All in about 15 minutes:D. The wet dirt was pretty amazing. Day two was windy as heck. Got one ride up the gondola before it got shut down due to high winds. It was pretty scary riding up the gondola with the crazy high winds. Felt like it was getting blown sidewayso_O. Second day the dirt was plain dry and blown out. It was blowing sand like mad in the wide open areas like Midtown.

IMG_20160911_114035.jpg

IMG_20160911_183746.jpg

IMG_20160912_113526.jpg

IMG_20160911_143016.jpg

IMG_20160911_141917.jpg

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Got out this afternoon for a Blackstar cruise with the girls and Hugh. The girls took off early....Hugh showed up late, with some odd contraption....fatherhood must have his brain all scrambled:

IMG_0767.JPG

I think he took a book out of @Faust29 's library.

Well the girls had about a 20 min head start. I figured we would catch them at the gate, if they weren't already there. Well...we caught them about 1/4 mile from the top.

Got back down before it got dark....and the moon popped up just as we exited the gate.

Also had a @pperrelle sighting on the way up.

Good times.

Screenshot (467).png
    Screenshot (468).png

30. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley V4 & DV9
    Yep, and I had a @mtnbikej sighting on my way out. Busy afternoon on the hill today. I'm loving the cooler temps. The buddy I was riding with wanted to beat my gate to gate PR up the hill. He dropped me at the top, so he would have, but for some reason Strava didn't recognize that segment for him, so I'm still ahead. :sneaky:

Want to donate to imtbtrails?