I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Rode up at Chantry today with Kurt and Oscar. With Kurt we did the Zion Loop then since Kurt had to bail Oscar and I did the Hoagees Loop as Xtra Credit. Was a great ride. I love riding up there, the trails are one of a kind, one of the few places in the front range where most of the riding can be done in the shade. The hikers were very friendly today also!

upload_2016-9-9_14-38-23.png

Kurt cleaning the rock drop!
    IMG_2546[1].JPG
    Mules from the pack station resupplying the cabins.
    IMG_2547[1].JPG
    Killer scenery!
    IMG_2548[1].JPG

2. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom Zusag
    Finally having the funds to get my wheels built up, I played hooky today and finished the build, after two long months off the bike she is complete. Short jaunt around O'neil and so stoked I finally have her done...
    20160909_111540.jpg

3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Five runs down McGill. Close to 35 miles with no elevation. Perfect day.

herzalot, Cougar, Postal Pat and 10 others like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

***cough, cough*** Slacker......

but......... since it's yer birthday, you can get away with it....today. :thumbsup:

Cougar, Luis, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I justify it by riding over 70 miles since Monday. :thumbsup:

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    I like it! I hope to run into it out on the trails... :thumbsup:

Mikie likes this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    After flaking out on @Runs with Scissors this morning, I had some afternoon time. So I went up Maple Springs, as it seems everyone else on this board did today as well. I'm not even the only one to do it on a black Highball. @Andy. :D

I started from the parking lot, and just cruised... 15 miles round trip and 2700 feet. The Garmin said 90s the whole way up, and it felt it. :sick: The good thing is that there are more shady spots than some of the other climbs around here, and I was able to duck into the shadows every now and then. A couple motos and a couple Jeeps were out, but I bet it's packed tomorrow. There was also a Ford Ranger near the bottom riding out on a completely shredded rear tire and sparking wheel. :stop:

For you northerners, and you guys who are almost in Canada (@Mikie), this climb gets you to Four Corners under Modjeska Peak, not far from Joplin, but is quite a bit easier to climb than Harding.

Coming down...
    IMG_1672.jpg

8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Maybe you would have been fast if I was pushing you. :whistling: :rolleyes: :cautious:

10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    It's amazing how strong of a rider @Mikie is. When he's in the zone. And wearing shoes.:whistling:

11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Or if I could have stayed off Facebook while I was chasing him down!

12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Cyclotourist likes this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    They are still tight, but they hurt a lot less on the bike than they do walking down the stairs in the house. I should have enough in the tank to keep Herz in sight tomorrow through Whiting and up STT.

14. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Those are some awesome numbers Mikie!

Mikie likes this.
  15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I'd like to do that one as well, but I don't know yet what the wife has planned. I've done it before, but maybe someday I can do it again.

16. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Crazy Bear shuttles Pinos once or twice a month. He charges 10 per run or 30 for an all day pass from 8:30am to 4:30pm. He's going on Saturday, but I'll be on my way to Mammoth.:D

Mikie likes this.
  17. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Crap! I can't find the post for this...what time and where? On the off chance I can do this...but don't wait for me.

Mikie likes this.
  18. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
  19. Postal Pat

Postal Pat Member

Name:
    patrick
    Current Bike:
    kona hei hei
    Rode my bike Thursday in big bear with @scan for the cancelled @UPSed birthday celebration. Since we both were interested in doing that ride we decided to meet up and give skyline a spin. I totally spaced about how bad traffic would be and ended up being slightly late which I apologized for several times. It was all good and scan was a good tour guide and riding partner. That's a long way to drive but it was worth it, what a fun trail to ride, he might have some more pictures, and since it's scans birthday this weekend it was still a celebration ride. There was a couple more imtb guy's there, we ran into @Mr all is on and El immigrante who were riding the trail the opposite direction than us

IMG_20160908_180316.jpg

20. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Hmmmm, I don't see your name on the Leaderboard at all. Broken bike?:rolleyes:

mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Just like Golden Eagle.....I have only been down McGill once....and we didn't even get to bomb it.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  22. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Probably one of the best weather days thursday up in big bear!! It was cool to finally meet El Immigrante and All Is On coming in the other direction. They say Skyline is better to ride east to west.....what say you, those that have good experience with it??
    First time I've seen horses on skyline, 3 of them! They deliberately ride during the week to avoid crowds. It would be hard to let horses pass on some of the skinnier sections of skyline, so definitely a good idea to ride during the week.
    Great meeting and riding with PSM (the bearded one!!) . He was on my tail coming down Plumbers and Fern, haulin the Mail!!!

IMG_20160908_105402.jpg

IMG_20160908_104249.jpg

IMG_20160908_114502.jpg

23. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    @scan @psm great ride guys
    Also my first time up in skyline scan was the tour guide. Agood one I'll say :thumbsup:

24. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Was about to ask about the gnats on Maple but already answered...yeah they can be bad those first couple miles. Need on one cold night to put those critters down.

25. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    Got out this morning with a buddy to check out the conditions down the motorway. The crew working on it have about the bottom 1/3 done. The top half was a total mess but was expecting that.

I got back to the car and did some extra credit and climbed half of black star for a second time. Maybe should have eaten knowing I was going to be out for as long as a was.

image.jpeg

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
  27. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    At 1:00 this morning I was sitting at Disneyland waiting for my son and his friends to emerge. Apparently, they run some of the rides past closing time for people in line. And then a slow stroll through Downtown Disney... And Dad is still up at 2:00. I had planned to ride through O'Neill and Whiting before joining the group. That plan went out the window, and I threw the bike on the back and drove over. That was probably the smarter call, as the leg muscles aren't 100% yet.

We rode... And I think we IMTBers were pretty good tour guides. We started with @Cornholio, @littlewave, @Unbreakable, @Cougar, @herzalot, @Danimal, and myself. Fortunately, we finished with the same group! No injuries, no mechanicals, and only a small amount of barfing. And, when a guy goes down in the dirt and comes back up smiling, it's probably a really good ride. We may even have video... :thumbsup:

The Whiting-Luge-Whiting route has been described 100 times... But it's neat to see someone ride it for the first time. Unbreakable handled the climbs with no issue, and had a lot left in the tank when we finished. If he returns in November, I say we keep going to Old Camp and give him his money's worth for the bike rental. :thumbsup: Or maybe a ride by the beach? A mountain loop?

This was a fun group... A little larger than the usual recommended size for a county park, but it worked well. Most of the hikers were good natured today. The only exception was the wannabe Sierra Club videographer. I'm sure we'll all be part of an informational production on the dangers of allowing mountain bikes in county parks. I said hello, but that probably won't make the final cut...

15+ miles and 2400 feet... Wahoos afterwards. Life is great!

Entrance to STT
    IMG_1676.jpg

Regroup before the Luge
    IMG_1680.jpg

28. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Not doing your lengths BUT felt very strong at end of ride...buddy fading and I wanted more, that's always a good sign. Late Start Short 5 Parks Shady - Bommer Canyon - El Moro - LCWP - Quail - pleasant temps , applied some Whistler learned turn techniques on the switchbacks down turtle ridge
    Screenshot_20160910-175009.png

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I rode my bike....at least I got on and pedaled my bike....but I don't really consider it a ride.

Spent the morning doing trailwork that Santiago Oaks.....The jumps at the bottom of the Dam Hill.....are no longer there. The area is being rehabilitated. The old trail that has been there for decades is still there.

So I only had 2 pieces of toast for breakfast....then went out and spent 4 hrs swinging a pick, digging holes, and planting cactus. Then came home, had a small snack and a nap....probably should have had lunch instead. Headed out with my wife for a quick stretch the legs out ride. Got into the Oaks....No Legs. No Energy. Decided to do a quick flat spin over to Puma Ridge while she tended to the horses before heading home. Feel much better now that I had dinner.

Screenshot (461).png
    Screenshot (462).png
    Screenshot (457).png
    Screenshot (458).png

30. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Fun mixed terrain ride this morning. Well, mostly road, but I had some of my favorite trails interspersed. Rode my CX bike with 700C wheels back on (had 27.5 Thunder Burts for a while). Seems to roll faster this way for me, probably going to leave it like this for a bit. Ended up with nearly 35 miles. I was planning on some more, but the legs felt like lead. I took the first bail out option and avoided the extra climbing I had planned on.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/707461826

29588917205_99c3ba5fa7_b.jpg

29554971926_077247e712_b.jpg

29554965036_ac21cce48e_b.jpg

29298790280_17dd06b83b_b.jpg