I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Put a shout out when you're up there, I'd like to help!

Mikie likes this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    :cautious: Hmmmm, with Smokey out of the way, maybe, just maybe, I have a chance with BFF Robin. That bear is in the way, I've got to figure out how to get him out of the picture....permanently!!!:mad:...
    :eek:Oh! Smokey is going into hibernation soon?!?!:whistling: Oh, uh, had not noticed. Oh! Look at the time!?!?:whistling: Well... if you need anything Mrs. McG, don't even hesitate! :whistling:

3. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Rode at Oaks and finished through Irvine Park and then some random extra credit trail that goes above my house (Dakota View I think was the name?). Ended up with 15+ miles and 1675' of ups. Weather was great and it's always nice getting out mid-week when I'd normally be working.

View from new to me trail:
    image.jpeg

Oaks:
    image.jpeg

Bike pic:
    image.jpeg

Faust29, herzalot, Luis and 8 others like this.
  4. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    Is someone a little jealous ? Bff Mr. WATSON ♡ I will definitely keep you in mind :) OOPS I didn't mean to post this picture, but hibernation has not started yet..SoOOO
    20140528_194518.jpg
    Thank you, hugs

Postal Pat, Faust29, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  5. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Got in 5 miles in LCWP/El Moro before work. Lizard -> Laurel -> Fenceline. Saw two other people the entire ride, and both were on mountain bikes. Air was cold in the canyons and warm on the ridges, with lots of moisture with the marine layer coming in off the ocean. Dirt was very moist, no dust!

6. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Just so you know...
    Smokey has been double timing with Cindy Bear, Yogi's girlfriend...
    :eek:...and she runs around topless! The floozy!
    I just don't want you to get hurt.:sneaky:

Cindybear.jpg

7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail
    Oh, what is happening to this thread?

(It's getting whimsical)

Mikie likes this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    That's OK......I'll get it back on track. :thumbsup:

10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I commuted today...32 miles and a couple hundred feet of elevation gain. Always a good time. :thumbsup::geek:

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Two great rides today with my wonderful wife. One MTB and one road. 20160907_113356-1600x1200.jpg 20160907_113859-1600x1200.jpg 20160907_113903-1600x1200.jpg 20160907_185609.jpg Screenshot_20160907-205242.jpg Screenshot_20160907-205314.jpg

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I went out to visit an old friend tonight. We hadn't seen each other in over 2 years. She says she was "unavailable". Well today she was available.

Good news is although she went through a bit of a rough stretch...for the most part she is how I remember her. She has a few more scars than the last time I saw her.

Best part....Is I'm going back for another visit with @Cougar to introduce them....I think they will get along.

IMG_1921.JPG IMG_1922.JPG IMG_1923.JPG Screenshot (452).png Screenshot (453).png

bvader, Postal Pat, Luis and 13 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail
    Another tear in my eye for your re-acquaintance, @mtnbikej . I don't think I've seen her for over five years.

14. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Hey mtnbikej, I saw you on Maple Springs just past Motorway exit (I recognized your bike). I wanted to see an old friend too, wanted to get up Maple Springs to Four Corners. Got dark, my light started acting funky, so had call it off and turn around. Cool to be back up there though

Mikie, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    I picked the wrong week to kill the legs hiking... :thumbsdown:

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I had so much fun out at Blackstar - Motorway last night, I decided to hit it up again. Actually @Cougar had put it out for this morning, and since I wasn't working, I joined along.

7:00 start meant cool temps.

Low clouds loomed ahead:
    IMG_1924.JPG

This was Craig's ride...so he set the pace. He would be venturing into new dirt today, so it didn't matter how long it took us to climb Blackstar...to save legs for Main Divide climbs and Motorway.

The climb up wasn't bad at all. Sun came out quickly and the low clouds burned off early. Before we knew it we had reached the Doplar Ball. Felt like it was getting warm already...but that is just the constant exposure on the Main Divide.

Made the series of ups and down along the way. Walked a few...some due to effort vs. return, some because they were pretty loose. Thought about trying to talk Craig into bagging Pleasant's Peak....but decided will wait for another time.

We made good time across Main Divide and finally arrived at Motorway. Short break here, before we continued on. I have ridden the Motorway a lot, so I knew what was ahead. New dirt for Craig. Stopped to take some pics along the way.

The fire burned up and over the top of the Motorway. The manzanita bushes show the scars of the fire, but the brush is growing back in. Beyond the top, it looks like very little of the MW was actually affected by the fire.
    IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1926.JPG

@kioti the trail is in good shape for the most part. Definitely needs a good brushing. New ruts are minimal. However....there are a few really bad spots.

Some of the rain diverters that they put in shortly after the fire cause some big ruts. We ran into the Conservation Corps. out there doing some trailwork. She said the FS will be coming out to fix the big problems.

This one would swallow you and your bike if you didn't get it right...
    IMG_1927.JPG
    IMG_1928.JPG
    IMG_1929.JPG
    IMG_1930.JPG

The turn above the really chunky section survived a landslide....and the Corps. cleaned in a new line(wasn't there last night). The line on the chunky DH has shifted. Looks like a large rut was created, then the brush grew in....so the only rideable spot is high up on the right side where you ride the razorback covered with marbles on the exposed side.

Then down in the canyon there was a really large landslide that went through.....there is no line there. It's gonna take some effort to get it back and safe.
    IMG_1931.JPG
    IMG_1933.JPG
    IMG_1932.JPG

And when the trail picks back up.....it is a rutted mess
    IMG_1934.JPG

Below this, the trail is fine.

The water diverters that they installed are tall and square.....kinda like riding over a 12-14" curb....and there are a lot of them.

All in all a good day on the bike.

mike, knucklebuster, bvader and 15 others like this.
  17. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Need @Mikie to move J's post above into mine :p Too many pictures for this 'simple ride thread'! hehe

Thanks again for coming out J, I appreciated the company and your experience/familiarity with the area.

Cyclotourist, herzalot, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  18. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Thanks for the shots and description, Jason. I gonna have to take a look, presumably on foot, and see how it looks. Glad it's open and hope the repair work is done soon!

herzalot, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

me too....we have VQ and CC going through here next month.....not safe to send the masses through the way it is.

Mikie, kioti and Faust29 like this.
  20. Makoto

Makoto Member

Name:
    Mike
    Snuck out of the office at a decent hour and was able to sneak in a quick spin. And who did I run into on my commute to the trailhead??? The one & only @bigringrider101 on his way to do some road intervals:eek::eek::eek:. I just did a quick climb up Cab & down Hectic. And who did I run into on my way home??? @bigringrider101 twice in one day. As a wise teen once said, "today was a good day". Hahaha.

21. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    Mcg & me took some time today for some TLC on the Arroyo Seco / Gabrielino Trail ANF to the dam that was built in 1942. 10 yrs before we were born :) just doing our chores20160908_142246.jpg 20160908_144321.jpg 20160908_131850.jpg before we leave for Tahoe. . Thank you !

22. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Good seeing you today Mike.

Cougar and Makoto like this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    After the Blackstar=Motorway ride this morning, I knew I had a bonus ride planned for this afternoon.

Joined in on the SS Thursday group ride, since it was local tonight at the Oaks...and my wife wanted to ride with the girls.

Pace was fast at the start....lots of people out in Oaks. Front brake went very mushy a few times.

Good times with friends.

Screenshot (454).png Screenshot (455).png

24. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Simple ride today. OTB club night ride from JPL up brown mt road to the saddle and bomb down through El Prieto.

El P is a totally different animal in the dark, but a total blast when you have about six to seven riders with lights-a-blazing.

14310359_10105234723773492_7656444182228541935_o.jpg

Photo credit to @Carson

25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Woohoo, riding!!!!!!!!
    Over 220 mi in the last three days. Dude, how many cow pies ya think I've seen in the last two weeks LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

image.jpeg

26. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I'm living vicariously through you! Keep up the badassness!

mike, rossage, Luis and 2 others like this.
  27. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I'm picturing you hunkered down and grinding into gale-force headwinds with cow pies sailing toward you like Jedi Starfighters.

mike, LLPoolJ, rossage and 5 others like this.
  28. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    I Rode My Bike Today... and I loved it so much I wanted to stay out and ride some more. But family obligations meant I had to head back home. I'd planned on riding Sitton Peak, but that was before it was announced that Maple springs was open again. And as time was a factor... Its hard to believe its been 2 years and 9 months since I last rode up.
    6:30am start with temps a chilly 54F. But by the end of the paved section things were warming up. The clouds I'd seen along Santiago Cyn Rd were nowhere to be seen on the climb, making for a glorious morning with amazing views. The Trail Gods® were indeed smiling down on me as I had an amazing ride that I didn't want to end. But all good things must come to an end. I had a leisurely descent, enjoying the warm, but not too hot sun and amazing vistas.
    Only an out 'n' back, but so glad MS is reopened and looking forward to looping it with Motorway again.
    Life is good.

View from on high...

2016-09-09 08.45.06.jpg

Obligatory bike pic

2016-09-09 08.58.12.jpg

the route

strava-MS.jpg

29. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I didn't take pictures, but it turns out I didn't need to...look up^^^

I started at Peltzer's and went up Silverado Canyon and Maple Springs today, with a vague plan of hitting Santiago Peak. I started later than @Andy - about 8:20 - and it got warm a few miles up the road. Shortly after the transition from pavement to dirt, the gnats were unbearable. But I bore them (man, do I bore them. Ha ha!). Once I hit 4 corners and turned right toward Modjeska Peak I figured what the heck, I've been to Santiago Peak but I've never actually been to Modjeska Peak. After riding up that "road/trail/railroad bed" toward Modjeska Peak, I know why I've never been there.

Gnats, heat, and generally poor conditions made me decide to throw in the towel before I hit Modjeska Peak. Think kitty litter mixed with gravel, overlain by railroad ballast. All of it loose. I was also dusted out by three SUVs with more horsepower than sense.

Maple Springs was exactly how I remember it from 2.5 years ago: Great fun, great ride, great workout. Past 4 Corners....meh. But I had a great day nonetheless!! I considered coming down Harding and looping back on Santiago Canyon Road, but had to check the clock. No dice.

All bike time is good bike time.

upload_2016-9-9_13-30-11.png

30. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Rode up at Chantry today with Kurt and Oscar. With Kurt we did the Zion Loop then since Kurt had to bail Oscar and I did the Hoagees Loop as Xtra Credit. Was a great ride. I love riding up there, the trails are one of a kind, one of the few places in the front range where most of the riding can be done in the shade. The hikers were very friendly today also!

upload_2016-9-9_14-38-23.png

Kurt cleaning the rock drop!
    IMG_2546[1].JPG
    Mules from the pack station resupplying the cabins.
    IMG_2547[1].JPG
    Killer scenery!
    IMG_2548[1].JPG

Want to donate to imtbtrails?