I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I dunno....you do climb HJ on a semi regular basis....so it's good to know how you feel with the harder gearing...and by doing a hard ride really gives you perspective.

Faust29, pperrelle and Mikie like this.
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Got it! I read about your swapping it out, but was wondering what your front was. What's funny is today I was pushing the reciprocal, a 22X32 gear and wishing I had a 34 or 36 on the back! :)

herzalot, Faust29, pperrelle and 2 others like this.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    @bigringrider101 (Berni) I don't know why you are getting dragged into this...

@Faust29 , so you are saying you are going to take bike advice from the guy who had multiple flats and rides a frigid bike who went over the bars and hit the biggest rock on Cannell Trail Saturday? Brilliant! o_O

(Sorry Berni)

4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Uh.....make that little drunk! :whistling:

5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I even stopped to take pictures during that segment. :p:D

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    A guy hits one rock, and they harp on it forever...

I'm only arguing, because I'm not sure if I can get the big bike back together before then... It's lost some parts since I hung it back up after the Highball came. :whistling:

7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er

What, he keeps his bike in the freezer? Maybe that's his secret...

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  8. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Apologies not accepted. You crashed too but you're keeping it to yourself, looks like.
    Just for that reason I'm not doing Cannell next week. I'm doing Skyline "Full out and back" like a man.

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Which Skyline?

bigringrider101 and Mikie like this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Ha hah! What in the WORLD are you talking about?!?!?! I video'ed myself crashing, and left it in the video!!!!

C'mon man! Do Cannell with us. I promise @Faust29 will be good?

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Actually it showed up in the video. B

bigringrider101 and Mikie like this.
  12. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Berni Avila
    Current Bike:
    Jones Space Frame Ti truss for
    Big Bear Skyline

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Definitely the better of the two. Fun trail, and the full length out and back is no joke. There are lots of new(ish) sections on the west end. Have fun!

Mikie likes this.
  14. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Got to take my Ibis Mojo HD3 out for its maiden voyage. Started from the top of Mammoth at 11,053 ft!
    image.jpeg

We were supposed to be up on the mountain all weekend but a very sick wife and baby meant we had two hours to ride before we turned around and made the 6 hot trek back home (after driving up yesterday!). So my brother and I headed down Off the Top which is the easiest option from the top of the mountain. It's a relatively easy trail with some options that keep it interesting. The views aren't half bad either.
    image.jpeg
    Who can name that geologic feature way off the in the distance?

We then hit White Bark which is a black diamond run with some nice little jumps and lots of root and rock drops and chunk.

Next run we took Recoil and Twilight zone which are mostly a bunch of jumps and berms with a couple very chunky Mammoth rock sections thrown in for good measure.

Bike worked phenomenally, other than some front brake issues. Even did some climbing on the way back to the cabin!

Then it was back in the car for the second six hour drive in as many days. Luckily we broke up the drive.
    image.jpeg
    Not quite the full weekend I had hoped for but the mountain isn't going anywhere and I can't wait to test the bike out here at home.

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @littlewave sorry to hear about your sick family. Glad to hear about your sick bike!

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @Cougar @littlewave Scott and I hit LCWP from Ridge Park today, along with 10, 437 others.

I actually showed up 9 minutes before meet time. If you know me, this is rare, but I am trying to get better. But SOMEONE showed up 15 minutes after roll time. Now, you would think that someone with a brand new bike would be all amped to be out there riding. But Brett forgot something and had to return home to get it. I will let him tell you what he forgot. :oops:

Same route as last Sunday - Lizard, Upper Laurel, Camarillo, Stagecoach, Willow, ML/FL, Rattelsnake, ITIC, ML/FL and in. Last week that was 18.0 miles, this week it was 17.4. I think I recall returning to find @Cougar and his broken bike last week, which added the extra half mile. 2775' of climbing. Sunny and hot when we finished. Probably only low 80s, but bright sun and humid air when the wind wasn't blowing.

Some days climbing is a chore, other days, the legs just go. Today was one of the rare latter. I just went the speed my legs wanted to go, and it was pretty good for me. @littlewave had had enough after not being on a bike for a month (other than a few lift-assisted runs yesterday). He left us before we hit Red Tail and Rattelsnake.

I had a great run down Rattlesnake, although I had to dance between 8 septuagenarians hiking up (they may have been younger - I didn't stop to look). It was "excuse me, sorry, no - you're good, my bad, sorry, thank you" while I was forced to hit some questionable lines. Still a quick run. Super fun. I wish that trail had about 4 of those sections. :thumbsup::):cool:

I suggested an extra credit loop back down Lizard, but Craig was out of water, and Scott looked like he wanted to kill me.

Great morning out there! Oh - and I found my watch which I accidentally left at the Willow lot while taking off my elbow pads.

Bikes are fun and we are fortunate. :thumbsup::)

mike, Faust29, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  17. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    My bike...I forgot my bike!! I also forgot my legs. And lungs. And bike handling skills.

Thanks for waiting for me. And for waiting for me again every time we had to climb! Fun morning but I was cooked and called it quits after Fenceline.

mike, Faust29, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  18. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    What Herz said. Usually 50oz of water is enough for our rides, but today started humid and ended up really hot. Thankfully I only ran out of water on the climb just before getting back to Fenceline, so it was almost perfect. Or less than perfect if you dock me points for not adding another Lizards run into it.

It was my first solid tech ride since I had all of my brakes warranty replaced. I felt a bit slower in places, as I'm still fighting the mental condition of the fear of grabbing brakes and getting nothing... and the new brakes don't feel like they engage as early as they used to. But I'm not sure if that is just my mental fear of how they were before the warranty, or if they do in fact engage a bit later than I'm used to.

The initial Lizards DH felt a bit slower, but in looking at the data after the fact, it was only 1s slower than my PR. This is neat, because it means that I'm getting used to that speed/flow on that trail.

The Rattlesnake DH was interesting due to all the traffic on the trail. By the time I got to the traffic, Herz had already Paul Revere'd them to the side of the trail, but they were still a dynamic obstacle that added some challenge. I had to dab in one spot to make sure I got the right line I wanted in one section (making sure I avoided the hikers), and took a challenging drop section in another that tried to buck me; but I kept Rubber Side Down and enjoyed the run down there.

It was nice to meet @littlewave, and no problem about waiting up for you. I'm usually the slowest climber in the bunch, and I have zero compunction in hanging out and waiting for other fellow slow climbers :).

Scott (of the Bronson) is a solid rider, and it was nice chatting with him up our climbs. He graciously matched his pace with mine, and I actually had someone to talk to on the climbs. On the opposite side of that coin, I had someone to talk to on the climbs which meant worse breathing control :p

Bikes are fun.

mike, Faust29, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  19. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Yeah yeah so I rode my bike today but who cares. The important thing is that Mrs VT rode her new bike today. Sunday is family day for me and today was just me & the wife & the dog since the kido is too cool for us and stayed the night at Nana’s.

So since wifey’s new bike & all my bikes are equipped with droppers I tried to get creative. Decided to machine up this custom billet clamp to attach the doggy walker contraption and clamp on the ultra smooth dropper post shafts. Lets just say it looks cool and it kinda worked but I will be sending on of my droppers back to KS Lev for repairs...
    IMG_4702.jpg

So here she is with that “haha my bike is nicer than yours" look on her face.
    IMG_4649.jpg

And here she is with the “no pictures please/ I frikking hate this hill” look
    IMG_4653.jpg

Truth be told I used to hate this darn hill also cuz it’s a 16% grade in some spots.
    IMG_4660.jpg

But after the stupid climb it’s all fun & games for a bit with some darn good views.
    IMG_4668.jpg

Rusty was thinking it was BS though that he was attached to the clapped out blue bike instead of the sexy new orange one.
    IMG_4673.jpg

New bike stoke. Look we’ve gone 8 miles.
    IMG_4678.jpg

Doesn’t always have to be gnarly chunky single track to be enjoyable.
    IMG_4684.jpg

We live in Castaic & it gets hot here. Lucky for me it’s all downhill back to the house and I can outrun her.
    IMG_4700.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

20. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    I really wanted to ride my mountain bike after getting the fork rebuilt and bumped it to 100mm from 80mm. Just in time for the current heat wave! Last minute decision to go ride Loch Leven/Old 38, and if feeling good, do the SART Post Office Loop.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/676268865
    The temp was 87F when I parked the car... what have I done!?!?!? Get out and pedal, damnit. Loch Leven/Old 38 is the decomissioned highway going up to Angelus Oaks. Bits of asphalt, singletrack, DG covered hardpack over six miles of climbing. I love it! But today had some serious rubber band legs. Really tired after a 40 miler yesterday and not sleeping good last night. Took LOTS of breaks in the shade to get up the hill.
    28366567174_3c8776842c_b.jpg
    Finally made it to the top, and what could I do, the SART beckoned with three of the best miles of downhill singletrack there are!
    28366582874_8a7234cfcd_b.jpg
    Followed of course by three miles of climbing out of the valley. Lots of down trees (I counted nine) afforded plenty of rest stops.
    28909341201_1e574a679a_b.jpg
    Finally made it out via Middle Control Rd (yuck). Only to find out that the store at Angeuls Oaks is closed once again and I should have noticed that on the way by, but obviously didn't and therefore the cold carbonated caffeinated beverage I had been looking forward to was now not available for consumption.
    28699848520_40bfa0e7ab_b.jpg
    So a great morning! Uneventful which is always the key adjective when mountain biking. And remember kids, always bring a bug net with you on the SART!
    28953356446_f323132b01_c.jpg

21. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    @Cougar nice to meet you too. Glad I could help out by making sure you weren't last on the climbs!

herzalot, Mikie, Cougar and 1 other person like this.
  22. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Got in a ride west of Wrightwood today. Started at Jackson Lake with no specific plan. I haven't done Blue Ridge in a while so I checked the lower TH to see how many hiker cars were there. Only 2 so that became the plan! Headed up through Mt High in the heat! Upper 70's but it always feels hotter! Blue Ridge is quite a bit rougher than the last time I rode it! Saw 2 20'somethings just driving up to the top to finish their shuttle of the trail so I guess that's the main reason. Still don't see why people shuttle a 2 1/2 mile trailo_O!

I felt pretty good after BR so I slogged up to Table Top! It's in great shape and was a blast! I did startle a couple of horses and their riders on the paved road to the trail. I was bombing down that fast downhill before reaching the trail, entered a blind, left hand turn and there they were:eek:! They must have heard me a bit ahead of time because they were on the inside of the turn so I quickly went to the outside to avoid a collision that I would have lost! Said a couple quick "sorry's" and rolled on by. Don't know where they started. No trailers anywhere near there!

Finished with Faultline. The upper part is a mess! Rutted out from what little rain fell last year and about 1/2 mile down, there's a huge hole in the middle of the trail big enough to bury Mikie's Mini! There's a big pipe through the hole so maybe it's a water or sewer :gag: pipe that needed some repairs. There is a section of crowd control fence in front of the hole so I didn't have to jump it :thumbsup: but I did have to HAB up and over to get by. There are signs of other dirt work until the FS gate to the road. The rest of the trail is excellent! Good ride to get out of the Lancaster heat! 20 miles.

23. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    The recovering Frau Faust slept in this morning, so I snuck out for a quickie on the Bell View Trail to Caspers. Down Starr rise, up Starr Rise, and then a little extra credit on the ridge above Coto de Caza. And for 2 days in a row, I've scared a hiker... Sorry to the lady who jumped into the bush yesterday in O'Neill, and a double apology to the little old lady I surprised on Starr Rise today! I'm usually better with the bell, but I hadn't seen anyone all morning, and I didn't give a ring on the blind curve... :unsure:

25 miles... Some up, some down, and almost entirely alone. :thumbsup: The only place that really hurt was the Starr Rise climb with the smaller cog in back. My left knee may not get on board with this plan. It's reminding me tonight that it's not as healthy as the right knee...

Tom the Bomb, Luis, mike and 9 others like this.
  24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Hey, at least you tried. Now you know. Secret to SS is to keep the knees happy.

Tom the Bomb, mike, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yes - the man with the new bike, forgot his bike! I find that unbelievably funny! :p:D

So glad you could join us today Brett. Seems like you had fun and enjoyed getting out on your beautiful new steed. No worries on waiting. Keep on riding! Let's surf next time there's a little swell (3-4'). You can show me how it's done.

26. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    @herzalot and @Cougar and their clan buzzed by me on my ride with my recovering bro yesterday. Exchanged a quick hello to @Cougar on Stagecoach when I realized that the dude that just flashed by on the green bike was probably @herzalot. ("Hey Strand... Wazzup Coug?") Did a run out to Nix and then to the junction with the Shady Canyon Trail... back via the three Bs then Laurel and Willow Spur. Wanted to reverse Lizards, but there was so much traffic on Stagecoach earlier that I figured a reverse Lizards to be a bad idea on a Sunday morning at 10:00. My buddy popped on Laurel, so we just went Bomber to Tennis Courts and home (the path of least resistance). That climb up to the pad on a hot and humid day at 11:00... POW! 16.8% grade at the beginning... 16.2% at the end. I figure that it is a good way to end a quick ride. 22 and 3,000, roughly. The nap in the backyard afterwards... priceless.

27. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Went to Sullivan (Sunday). Holy heck...it was hottt. My GF got to try out her new 6Fattie. It'll be going to Mammoth in a few more weeks.

IMG_20160814_152556.jpg

IMG_20160814_154434.jpg

28. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Thought that was you but wasn't sure! I was the 4th rider in that group, waited for you and your riding partner to get up to the "walk your bike" section. Next time I will have to say hello!

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    There's a "walk your bike" section? :whistling: Ooopsie.. My bad. :oops: :sneaky:

30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Only if you can't clean it. :thumbsup: