I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Poignant post, J.J.

Mikie, LLPoolJ and pperrelle like this.
  2. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    24 and 3,000. Alternated between hammering and looping back to hang with my recovering buddy. Climbed and dropped stairs before I rode back to the house. That big bush on the left that gravity wants to push you through after the waterfall... don't fight it... just go through the edge of the bush... a super clean line going that way. Slowed down after that bush and almost dabbed... next time... more speedy. Humid. Then went for a paddle in the ocean. Life is good.

Mikie, Faust29, Cornholio and 7 others like this.
  3. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Looks like rain to me.....here at SS.IMAG0849.jpg

4. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    We rode this weekend really ? Hike a bike & riding up & down, back & fourth between the FS warehouse and trail to install a new Sign asked by our Boss & to remove the old sign that was broken , cracked with rusted bolts . . .and after 50yrs it was time :) Thank you! ♡ ANF Our boss is happy too

FB_IMG_1470091398594.jpg

FB_IMG_1470091405291.jpg

FB_IMG_1470091411641.jpg

FB_IMG_1470091423508.jpg

FB_IMG_1470091434141.jpg

Infamous, rossage, Mikie and 18 others like this.
  5. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Another ride today, had time off from work. Black Star solo. Started in the heat of the day at 12:15:gag:. No worries, Camelbak full of ice and water:cool:. Sunscreen, check. I can't remember the last time on B* but this time I noticed how flat and graded it is. So smooth and hard packed you can ride a road bike on it. There used to be a challenging rut or two somewhere, no-more. About 1/3 of the way up the rear wheel started making a creaking/grinding noise that became louder and louder. That explained the crows following, I think it was their mating call. Stopped to take the wheel off and check things out but couldn't find the corporate. The noise went away for a short time but came back. Didn't want to call off the ride so I continued on hoping for the best. Beeks or bust. No-one out in the heat but me. Sweat pouring out in my face along with sunscreen burning my eyes. Occasionally a slight breeze. Made it to Beeks, no other issues. First time on the Ti SS. The gearing felt a little too tall for my liking but can't change it, it's magic geared. A quick rest and headed down. Took a few optional single tracks to mix it up a bit. The rear wheel held together:thumbsup:. Nice way to start the week. Wish I could do this every Monday.

LSIBHOhTjuDYKDN8zrbQ8Q-gnyCxy6GcpaKvI_LUBw4-2048x1536.jpg

Mikie, PATKOUG, Cisco Roots and 14 others like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Nice ride @Grego ! What kind of frame is that?

Mikie and Grego like this.
  7. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Thanks David. I won the frame at an event and it has no brand name anywhere on it. Honestly I don't know what it is. I have been unable to find a match on the internet. I've come close with a Chinese titanium manufacturer called Titan. That would be my best guess but still not 100% sure. It rides strong and I like the straight basic triangle structure. The look of raw brushed titanium is in a class of its own and the welds are immaculate. I dig it :).

Mikie, Cougar, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  8. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Yeah, it's a good looking one! I rode with a guy Saturday that had a Ti SS, and they sure get my attention!!!

Mikie and Grego like this.
  9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    After six hours of driving to get to Bass Lake, I took a short (9.5 mile) ride around the two-lane roads up here. Had to get the legs moving and the blood pumping for Yosemite tomorrow, and Beasore Road Thursday.

Mikie, BeckTrex, pperrelle and 7 others like this.
  10. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
  11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I rode the Tuesday Night Black Star Social Ride... Henceforth known as the TNBSSR. Not exactly catchy... I am going to try and post this more often. It's a nice workout for the usual crowd, and a nice introduction to the Santa Anas for people who want to get a little higher than is possible in the county parks.

@mtnbikej , @pperrelle , @Torrent77 , @Andy , @Grego , and myself tackled the Black Star climb last night. Good ride... Nice social pace. Yes... Nobody hammered and the temps were nice and cool compared to the last few times I've ridden this.

The sunset was pretty amazing. I didn't get any pics, but I'm sure one of the others did. And there will probably be a few tarantula shots! We must have seen at least 20 last night.

IMG_1379.jpg

A little darker on the way down...

IMG_1383.jpg

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    As @Faust29 mentioned above, I mixed it up a little bit from my normal Tuesday "enjoy the Oaks while everyone is at OTH". Decided to join in on the TNBSR. However, we all know I couldn't just leave it at that....that is what my Thursday rides are about.

So I headed out early from home, went to the Oaks and did the old basic Oaks loop(3 B's-Barham-Chutes) then headed out to OTH for a couple of reasons. There is no cell reception out there, and hadn't told my wife I wasn't going to be in the Oaks all day. Plus I use it as a natural aid station....they always have cold water there. And I get to visit with some friends....Oh, yeah and the wife likes the surprise of me showing up.

After a quick stop and water refill, it was off to meet the others at Blackstar. Rolled in about 5:55 for the 6:00 ride. There were 6 of us....haven't done a ride out in B* with that many people in a very long time. Casual and social pace. @Grego , @pperrelle and myself would pull ahead from time to time(I made sure I was not the one out front :whistling: ). We would regroup from time to time.

Good job @Torrent77 for sticking it out and making it to the top.

Made it up to Beeks' just before sunset. Then on the way down, the social pace was gone....sort of. By the time we got most of the way down, it got dark...really dark. Easy spin back to the Tree Farm. I then had a road spin through the canyon and home.

Good to meet some of the other members here. Fun ride for sure.

Screenshot (409).png Screenshot (410).png

13. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    Guess I'll make it the trifecta for the TNBSSR posts. I was actually thinking yesterday morning that a Blackstar run was in order and then stumbled upon @Faust29 post and decided to join them. Glad I did. Good group and a fun ride. Was good to meet a few more people from the board. I left my IMTB jersey at home and felt left out as the majority of the group were sporting theirs. As stated above, it was Tarantula city last night. Good thing none of us had arachnaphobia. Thanks to @Faust29 for loaning me a light for the ride down. I went to grab a light on the way out of the house and none of mine had a charge. I only took a couple of pics below.

image.png

All dead
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

14. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Andy
    Great ride with @Faust29 @Grego @Torrent77 @mtnbikej @pperrelle last night - Cheers gents!

So many tarantulas! Unfortunately my spider pic is blurred - but you all know what they look like...

Heading out -

2.jpg

One of MANY -

1.jpg

A beautiful evening to ride -

3.jpg

Cyclotourist, mike, Mikie and 12 others like this.
  15. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Impromptu day off led to a desire to ride or is that a desire to ride led to an impromptu day off? Headed to Sycamore hoping to get some miles in. I went for quantity over quality. Fire road climbs and singletrack descents. I definitely felt this one when I was through but man did it feel good!20160803_114406-3200x2400.jpg Screenshot_20160803-144345.jpg

16. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Spent the day piddling around Yosemite Village with the wife. 17.7 miles in 4.5 hours!! Great day.

Yes it's paved. Kinda...sorta.
    20160803_111823.jpg

And Bridalveil Falls too.
    20160803_175114.jpg

17. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    I rode then broke my bike behind my house...:thumbsdown: today.
    That wasn't the plan. Cathy talked me in to going for a spin up the canyon, suggesting I could plan out my new secret trail (oh... that temptess!)
    Climbed up Oneil canyon feeling really saucy, then went over to work on my new secret trail "Agent 99". Not the one we've been talking about @Voodoo Tom .
    I was doing the rough route on bike through waist high weeds when a large stick took out my rear derailleur and hanger, snapped the hanger in half. Coasted home to swap them out and it turns out I have the wrong hanger in my Camelbak! what the f.....! Have to order it from Jenson's in the morning and have them ship it over night. Nice that I already have another derailleur sitting on the shelf ready from the Kokopelli trip...

Is this a bad thing? Ha hah!
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

18. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Nice... Have fun up there! Are there 3,000,000 others also enjoying Yosemite right now?

19. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Ouch... I'll refrain from the "This is really an opportunity in disguise" wisecracks. At least for the time being...

20. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Oh don't think I didn't see those coming. This small moment of despair is so overwhelmed by having gears on a daily basis.

21. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I rode my bike. Up Harding Truck Trail with @mtnbikej. He felt out of sorts on the first half, and I felt lousy the second half. But, we made it up and down with no issues... And no broken derailleurs! @Mikie :whistling:

IMG_1387.jpg

Looking back at Harding Truck Trail, and the Main Divide (upper). It's only a mile or so from 4 Corners to Modjeska Peak, but it's the rockiest section of trail I've ever ridden... Imagine riding on a nice bed of cantaloupe sized rocks... It was rough when I came down on July 4th, and neither of us even mentioned going on for extra credit.
    IMG_1386.jpg

22. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Closer to 5 million and most are from Europe...it is August. , We parked the car at 8 am. Had the trails mostly to ourselves until about 11 am.

23. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Actually this would be the perfect time for that spare hardtail! I'll even let you have gears on it... :whistling:
    Enjoy... Glad to see you're on the bike. :thumbsup:

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Hmmm.....can't say I have broken the derailluer off my SS....just sayin'. :sneaky: :whistling: :thumbsup:

25. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Well at least you picked a good spot to break it and find out you you're carrying the wrong parts. Could have been way worse. Hmmm Agent 99, I like it already...

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I got out today...... @Faust29 made me do it. I had to look back and see when the last time I only did Harding as an out and back. It has been several years. Normally I hit Harding with some warmup miles and elevation. Doing it just as an out and back means I use the first 5 miles to warm up the legs...which means I suffer for the first 5 miles. So my legs told me they were doing this ride under protest. Was really glad when we got to the mile 7.25 point of no return DH. Legs finally felt good the last push to 4 Corners. The ride down, was the ride down....quick as a 9 mile DH can be.

Temps were a bit warm at first, then cooled down really nice before warming back up towards 4 Corners.

Screenshot (411).png Screenshot (412).png

27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Sweet! Such a shame that riding off the blacktop anywhere in the park is illegal. I know the major trails do get poached occasionally. But on the valley floor, a bike is the only way to fly. Enjoy!

28. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Yeti hangers are like butter! Still have multiple spares from my 575.

Mikie and pperrelle like this.
  29. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
  30. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I got out and did a climb this morning that's been on my to-do list for several years now. Bass Lake to Cold Springs Summit via Beasore Road. 3,900 feet in 11.8 miles. It took me 2 hrs 3 min to climb but I did it nonstop. Fun!

Came back down in 26 minutes. Fun too!
    20160804_090533.jpg