I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I came up with these:

2.1 Tire
    Screenshot (403).png

2.20 Tire(Ikon)
    Screenshot (404).png

Faust29, El Immigrante and Mikie like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I went out early this morning. Wanted to be home before 11:00. Met up with my buddy Hugh. Warm and humid at 5:00. Pace was above social....ended up 1:01 to Beeks. Were waiting for some relief from the temps on Sierra Ridge...nope. Temps were great going down Coal Cyn. It has been recently graded so it was soft and sandy. Hugh washed out in one of the turns. No harm, no foul. Lots of 2 wheel drifting on the way down.

Decided to mix it up and come back through Deer Cyn Preserve. We were ahead of schedule, til Hugh"I still run tubes" got a flat. It was getting pretty toasty. Back into Weir and Oaks.

Plan for the ride was no extra credits...just the main loop. We ended up a bit behind schedule to do mechanical.

The 34 x 22 gearing is going to take some time to get used to. It is either going to make me stronger or kill me.

Also, at 5:00 while riding through the dark, I saw a bright flash of light...thought to myself "crap, lightning...that wasn't in the forecast" and looked up. Only to see a huge meteor flash across the sky. Pretty fricking cool.

Still a fun day on the bike.

Screenshot (405).png Screenshot (406).png

3. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Finally got out this morning for 15 miles and 2k' at Oaks/Weir. I was just looking at my Strava times and it's amazing how much you lose with just a few weeks off. Granted I was only riding once a week for several weeks before this as well. Just tough these days with the baby.

image.jpeg

There were some clouds blocking the sun so it was nice as far as weather goes.. My legs just suck right now.

image.jpeg

4. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Nothing better to lift the spirits and put a big grin on the face than a long, blazing romp down San Juan. TFPU :thumbsup: I've been fighting a summer cold/respiratory infection and haven't been able to get out :thumbsdown:, but reading about that kind of stoke is almost as good.

5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    'Nother fun morning on the San Clemente Single Tracks. Much cooler & overcast today, which let us go a lot faster. Actually, just about the same speed, but without taking breaks every 20 feet due to the heat & humidity! The place was really busy, but not overly crowded. Rode with internet friend Simon from Ladera Ranch who drove down to ride with me. Met him on an overnight bikepacking trip last year, and kept connected via the grams and 'avas. Nice of him to come down. Both the guys I've ridden with the last two days have a-typical mountain bikes. Yesterday Mike had a Ritchey Commando fat bike, and today Simon had a Salsa Ti Selma 29+ singlespeed. I made due with my outdated 29er on both occasions :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/658764471

Bikes are awesome!

28370546390_07f49abda9_b.jpg

28037763034_274bdb05b5_b.jpg

6. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    43 miles, I'm impressed!

7. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    52.3 miles... extra impressed!!!

8. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Planned to ride with Ken (trmn8r) up at Exploration trail (running springs)and explore a 5 mile loop (do it 2x)I learned about from a bike store near blue jay. Weeeeeell, Ken , who is a great guy who has lost around 40 lbs over the last several yrs, taken up racing and continues to get in great shape. He rides a hardtail cannondale FSi/lefty fork, race bike. He recently got a Spark 29r FS, thinking he would bring it today since I told him about some chunk at Exploration. He brings the FSi due to some work being done on the Spark.

As we get ready to ride, he adjusts his seat and strips the seat collar clamp!?!? Oh well he says, just have to make it work, so we take off. We climb up to Keller peak, beautiful morning. We descend and start down Exploration trail, little over 4 miles of scenic ST and chunk, more than I remember when I rode it about 4-5 yrs ago. With about a mile to go I stop for Ken and he doesn't answer me, so I get of my bike , walk back a little, and he has a sidewall tear, ugh!! He just changed out Stans too! And he mistakenly didn't bring a tube or CO2. So he walks out with me riding a little and waiting up for him several times. We talked about how the lightness of a race bike can be a trade off for durability.

So we're on a schedule to get home by a certain time, so we rush over to the blue jay bike store , get a tube put in and rush over to the Dogwood campground and try to cover as much as we could of the loop with the 20 minutes we had left (ended up with only 3 miles!). We had a great time and Ken had a great attitude through it all. The last 2 pics are of the Dogwood loop.

IMG_20160730_093051.jpg

IMG_20160730_094548.jpg

IMG_20160730_094900.jpg

IMG_20160730_094954.jpg

IMG_20160730_095718.jpg

IMG_20160730_095834.jpg

IMG_20160730_103418.jpg

IMG_20160730_115403.jpg

IMG_20160730_120936.jpg

9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    You're not going to like my approach... I know that 32 x 20 felt too hard on long rides. 32 X 22 is getting too "easy" in some. So... I just plugged in numbers until I spotted ratios in between. I can use ratios, gear inches, etc... the unit is irrelevant. Just look at what I know, and find one in between. :whistling:

Yeah... I know. Varaxis would have a heart attack with my methodology. :Roflmao

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I get it...just too many variables on any given day.

With that being said....you should be able to run a 32x21 without too much trouble....unless you you run the Ikon/Flow combo, then it'll feel pretty tough.

Faust29 likes this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I've been debating between the 32 x 21, or the smaller jump to 30 x 20... and keeping the 22 on the Flow for now.

mtnbikej likes this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I missed a good one... :thumbsdown:

At least I got to do some research in Oregon for our return in September. I found a local in the University bike shop and picked her brain for an hour. :thumbsup:

13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Not much riding in Dogwood CG is there??

14. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    pperrelle likes this.
  15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I'm a firm believer in bigger rings/cogs......they don't wear out as quick, plus i like the extra chain wrap.

Grego, mike and Faust29 like this.
  16. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
  17. saki

saki Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    bill sakatani
    Have you tried or are using an Absolute Black or Wolftooth oval 32 ? They do work for a lot of people.

Faust29 likes this.
  18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    20160731_122126.jpg
    Rode the road bike while the offspring was riding at the stables. PCH to Newport Coast and back to PCH on San Joaquin Hills and Jamboree. 30.4 miles and a whopping 1,020 feet of elevation gain. Perfect weather; nice occasional tailwind on the way back. Passed literally herds of other roadies. Bikes are awesome!

19. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    That is a very cool bike... :thumbsup:

Cyclotourist likes this.
  20. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Not yet, but I am tempted... :thumbsup:

21. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I got to ride a bike finally after a week off... It was road trip time to the University of Oregon, where I will be sending all of my money for the next 4 years. We rolled back into town at 2:30 this morning after driving straight through from Eugene. It's nice to have 4 drivers in the car! :thumbsup: My wife reminded me, though, that it won't last. This was probably our last road trip all together, as the boys are 16 and 18... :unsure:

Just a quick spin up Blackstar in the oven. It was 95 at the start, but I did not have my Garmin, so I can only guess at the temp on the exposed sections... 105 maybe? There was a breeze at the top, but that didn't last too long.

The only excitement, and the event that caused me to miss a PR... Running into a guy who was so drunk, he could barely stand. It was his birthday, and I'm guessing that he was headed back down from the party the night before at the water falls. In talking to me, he got so disoriented that he couldn't tell which direction to go to get to the parking lot. Thankfully, he didn't seem to be a smoker. We would have lost the canyon for sure... When I came back down, he was passed out in his car near the gate.

22. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    18lbs with a a 29+ tire on front! Pretty amazing build.

Faust29 likes this.
  23. saki

saki Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    bill sakatani
    If you have Shimano 104 and would like to try a32 or 34 Black Absolute Black oval I have both just say. I live in Lake Forest

Faust29 likes this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Thanks for the offer! I'll keep that in mind. I've only heard good things about the ovals... How did you find them to be?

25. saki

saki Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    bill sakatani
    PR 's up Harding and Blackstar! You should do better, singlespeed is a lot different than geared and is NOT biopace. Enjoy the journey it's fun and challenging.

Faust29 likes this.
  26. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    My time with my son being a kid is quickly ending. He heads off to Prescott in 3 weeks for college. I asked him if he wanted to ride today and he said yes. We headed up to our favorite place, Rim Nordic. We have made friends with the owners over the last couple years, so they treat us like VIP's. We put in 2 loops and Beverly(owner) shuttled us 2 more times to run the DH line which is very fun. Mtn weather was perfect and the T-storm yesterday firmed up the trails. 20 miles and a few thousand feet of climb. I am going to miss my riding buddy. It's time for him to fly and take out the world.

27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I rode today.....'nuff said :gag:

Actually had a guy at the top of Chutes ask me if I had a lighter. Told him there is no smoking of any kind in the park. He asked if it was a rule everywhere or just there. Told him "look around, can't you see how f*cking dry it is all around". He shrugged it off and continued on his walk. I guess smoking your dope does make you stupid.

Screenshot (407).png Screenshot (408).png

28. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I know the feeling... not sure who's taking it harder in my house, me or the Mrs. I still see the toddler who used to bring me book after book to read.

29. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Wait, wha!?

mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.
  30. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Rode Chino Hills w/ Vince, Stargazer and BeckTrex. Been riding the SS lately but opt for the WFO for this cruise. Damn I forgot how plush the WFO is :D. Early on we took some obscure trails I've never ridden on. Fire road up and loose single track down:thumbsup:. So obscure were all in the top 10 on Strava :whistling:. Then Telegraph, Raptor out and back, Bovinian, South Ridge and some chillen at the Yorba Linda Redwoods:cool:. Who knew YB has over 200 Tall Redwoods planted in 1975, so the sign says. Somewhere along the ride Vincent loses his valve/ mouth piece to his Camelbak. How that happens I don't know:bang:. I pulled mine off and installed it on his, I'd rather lose water than him and I would have but Mr. BechTrex had an idea to Macgyver the tube so water would not get pushed or syphoned out. Simply kink the tube and place a loose tie wrap around it. Genius! No other problems, just good riding. Was hoping to get at least 3000' climbing and we did. 3100'/26mi. Sorry no hanging bike pic.:confused:

btrdxrcy.jpg

goaertv.jpg

viewwqzxtv.jpg

macewzerxtrc.png

Mikie, PATKOUG, BeckTrex and 11 others like this.