I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    A flat quickie... I used to love this loop as my go-to workout, but it's just too flat without gears... And it was over 100 by the end. :gag:

I did see over a dozen other riders in O'Neill proper... I thought I wandered into Aliso for a second. I never see that many people there. :thumbsup:

Live Oak- Arroyo- Tijeras.jpg

2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    No ticks today! The fire was still smoldering, we could see it in the distance.

Grego, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Northstar today. Lazy morning with family, late breakfast in Truckee then on up to the slopes. N* runs lifts until 7pm on Fridays, so I was in no hurry. I rode from 1:30-4:30.

I've always been apprehensive at bike parks when I am riding alone. I signed up for a lesson just to have companions (yes, I have to pay for friends) and as luck would have it, there were no other students. Private guide with coaching for 2 hours. Well worth it. Got 6 runs in with him and did three more after. The highlight was Gypsy - lots of challenging features. Mostly visually challenging - easier to ride than it looked. I would have been very hesitant without my guide/coach leading the way and feeding my confidence. We did not do any double black diamonds like Boondocks, as my guide said they were all in horrible condition.

It was fun to hit jumps I could trust too. I did LiveWire twice and cleared about half of the jumps. That's pretty good for me. There were a few drops and jumps on the other runs like Playground, Speed trap, Pho Dog, Gypsy and such and I had fun hitting those trails and features. I will admit, as soon as my guide/coach was done, I felt very alone on the trails again - which is normally a good thing, but makes me nervous on the DH bike. I definitely like riding with friends or acquaintances at bike parks better than riding alone.

It was scorching hot today. I think it hit 78° :whistling:

9 runs in three hours. Not 2 bad! :thumbsup: Bikes are fun :) :cool:

Sorry, didn't take any photos today, other than my 6 yo Ruby on a rock climbing wall.
    RubyClimbs.JPG

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    It is Saturday, which means we ride....so we did.

Talked my wife into a dawn patrol ride. It was supposed to be hot, she was on call at work and we needed to get a ride in together.

I wanted to roll @ 5:30....but we didn't get moving til 5:40. Nice brisk cool temps, and dry.

About 1/3rd the way up the first B/Oak, the temps jumped up and all of a sudden you could really smell the smoke in the air. I followed my wife, let her set pace and route...I planned to stay out longer after she headed home. We did the original Oaks loop, then made a loop around IRP and Puma. We stopped by the barn to see the horses, and I headed off for more.

From here on it just kept getting warmer and warmer. Lots of people out early. I had planned to be home somewhat early before it got too hot. So I did a couple of more ups and downs, then started to head home. Was good to get out, but I am over the heat.

IMG_0621.JPG IMG_0622.JPG

Screenshot (392).png
    Screenshot (393).png

5. Danimal

Danimal MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Had a special treat today rolling through Whiting. A Bob cat ran across the trail and stopped about 10 ft into the brush. I slowed and we shared a nice long look at each other. Beautiful animal, great way to start the day.

Went out for a good ride, left at 7 intending 2 loops. It was nice until the climbing Cattle Pond in the sun. Already warming up, but not too bad. After a short while the soot in the air started to get to me, so called the ride short and headed home after the down. Good strong ride.

hiker count 1,328...thanks for the bell count 2, all but one very nice a friendly.

6. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Nice... I've only seen two in all my miles, and they were both very brief encounters.

7. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Just a short ride today. It was already too hot at 7:15. The smell of smoke was in the air and it only got worse. Hopefully better conditions tomorrow. 20160723_084558-1600x1200.jpg Screenshot_20160723-132442-1200x1460.jpg

8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    Yes, BUT only under the following conditions:
    -the temperature is over 100*
    -the trail is singletrack
    -good company participates
    -there are safety breaks along the way, lots of safety breaks
    -the temperature is under 100*

mike, Faust29, PATKOUG and 7 others like this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Well @Voodoo Tom and I rode our bikes today.
    We weren't sure how this was going to develop today so we really didn't announce it. We were looking for ways to add miles to McGill Trail...
    Mt.Pinos.Exploration.PNG

10. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Yes we did and I darn near bonked for no good reason and I'm not happy about that. Yes it was warmish but not too bad. Yes I had some beer(s) last night but I regulated. Yes the elevation hovers around 7K but that usually doesn't phase me. So who knows why but I was off today...Planned on some more but I pulled the plug before things got ugly. Thanks to @Mikie for understanding and giving me all the time I needed to try and gain some composure. On the bright side we did some exploring found some new dirt. Even though we ran in to numerous dead ends we both know there is a way to loop some more miles together and now just have to find out how. Views and company were great today...

11. Cougar

Cougar MTB Addict

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I raced in the Rim Nordic Enduro today, and placed 2nd out of my class. Now, there were only two of us, but seeing as how the last time I raced up here I beat two other guys, and this time I PR'd every run (but the changed 4th one), I think I earned that 2nd regardless if there was anyone behind me or not.

My Garmin showed 105 at one point, but that had to have been direct sunlight, because while it was warm, it wasn't that hot. For those of you who like pointing your bike downhill, you really should check out this race venue. Great vibe, good people, wonderful trails, and free lunch. It was nice to see @slomosapien up there again; he was the one that originally talked up this series, and he's right to do so. There is also an XC series for those of you who like that sort of thing.

Rim Nordic July 16_2.JPG
    My two steeds!

Rim Nordic July 16_1.JPG
    2nd place, woo.

12. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Road Idyllwild today. Idyllwild miles seem to be harder as I'm always reminded since I only get up there once or twice a year. A lot of ups and downs short Punchy climbs with roots and rocks thrown in. Some loose dirt here and there that will slow you down or grab your front wheel. Feels like I ride 5 miles and 500 to 1000 feet more than Strava tells me. Nice section also that's like Gooseberry or Guacamole in Utah!

IMG_20160723_101241.jpg

IMG_20160723_101502.jpg

IMG_20160723_091027.jpg

IMG_20160723_101227.jpg

IMG_20160723_090452.jpg

IMG_20160723_104636.jpg

IMG_20160723_101235.jpg

13. knucklebuster

knucklebuster MTB Addict

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Good Job in the heat Craig! Not sure I should even ask, but what the heck are you holding in your hand on the podium?

pperrelle and Mikie like this.
  14. knucklebuster

knucklebuster MTB Addict

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    That looks like good stuff @scan, I have to get out there sometime soon. I've been to nearby Romona but not the Idy trails, yet. Not too hot today?

15. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    When we finished, about the low 90s. Every Saturday they have a group ride at the hub bike store.

pperrelle, Mikie and knucklebuster like this.
  16. Cougar

Cougar MTB Addict

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Haha, that was my award for the best jump or near crash across all of the racers. It was a baggie of a bunch of different mini cliff bars.

On Stage 4, the end was a hairpin (270 degree) turn to the left that was covered in about 1-2 feet of kitty litter (the entire course was pretty soft). There was a guy standing at the outside of the turn waving you to the left where the finish line was 50 feet away... I pulled all of the brakes as you were bombing down a pretty steep fire road heading into that turn, and I started going left, then right, then left (or some combination of oh crap, oh crap, oh crap) and my legs were flailing something fierce, and my bike had a mind of it's own. I somehow managed to keep my bike under me, although it was far from graceful. When I came to a stop, I had finally planted my left foot, and then I quickly noticed my chain had come off my big ring in all of that mess. Since I was so close to the finish, I just said f'it and ran.

I lost that stage by 4 seconds. The scorers and the few people that were gasping ahead of me all had some appreciative laughs at me for actually managing to pull that off w/o crashing (and how comical it looked to them apparently). Would have been an awesome video, but there was none.

17. Grego

Grego MTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Hanging out in Big Bear . One way to beat the OC heat :cool:. Riding some trails today. Inhaled a gnat on Little Saigon trail, damn thing made me puke :gag:. My Enduro is a pita when it comes to climbing. Snow Summit tomorrow :thumbsup:.image.jpeg image.jpeg

18. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD MTB Addict

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    I rode my bike today. It might not be a good follow up to the likes of @Mikie @Voodoo Tom @Cougar @scan @et al. But the temperatures were over 100* at home, the single track was awesome, the company was perfect, safety brakes were had, and it was (or at least felt like) under 80* the entire ride. There was no Los Pinos, no Holy Jim or Joplin, no Cleveland National Forest. But @mike, Smeegies and @PATKOUG were there! image.jpeg 15 miles @ LCWP, 2,100', 3+hours, no lights.
    image.jpeg
    iMTBtrails.com reunited a friendship 15 years on hiatus. Awesome!

19. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    @DangerDirtyD ... NICE!
    That's the stuff I love to hear Bro!

20. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I FLooped today. It's not as bad as you might think. :):thumbsup:

Faust29, mtnbikej, mike and 5 others like this.
  21. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ MTB Addict

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    As Cougar mentioned I was up at Rim Nordic for 2 days of racing. Nice to see him again. We both did well in our classes on Saturday. Enduros are fun. Sunday is the XC series race which I dread but can't not race. I moved up to sport class this year and am having a hard time getting up to pace. Today I made some good progress, I moved up to 3rd place on the first lap, which I was very excited about. I fell back a couple spots on the 2nd lap, but now I know I can hang with some of my competitors. A little more training and a bit more confidence I can make the podium.
    This place is a great place to ride even if you don't race. Make a day of it. Ride 20ish miles then hit exploration on the way home, you wont be dissappointed.

22. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Cathy and I rode our bikes . . . . cuzzzzz we like bikes!
    Did our usual Tecuya Mountain Fire Road out and back...
    Cathy is starting to up shift taller gears on the climbs....... go Cathy!
    tecuya.mt.with.Cathy.PNG

23. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    I uhhh, have my doubts...

24. Cougar

Cougar MTB Addict

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I rode with my 2 eldest today (Almost 8, almost 6). Parked at Laguna Niguel park, then took the back way into Aliso. Got down to the turn off into Wood Canyons and back. Pretty good 5 mile ride for those two; the longest they've been on!

Drake and Griffin July 24th 2016_1.JPG

25. Danmtchl

Danmtchl MTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    Oats Peak Trail@ Montana De Oro. Heavy traffic out there today. Lots of fog and it was in the low 60's. Better than Bako image.jpeg

26. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I solemnly swear to Floop at least once before 2016 ends. Just not next weekend... I have to give the cat a perm. :whistling:

27. scan

scan MTB Addict

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Still 10 bucks just to ride there right? Exploration is free.

28. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Those SPD or Crank Bro sandals? :thumbsup:

herzalot, Cougar, pperrelle and 2 others like this.
  29. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    That's awesome, Cougar... You're bringing back memories!

herzalot, Mikie, Cougar and 1 other person like this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I didn't know you were @Cougar's son! ;)

(sorry, can't resist an opportunity for smartassity...) :sneaky:

Cougar and Faust29 like this.