I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    Do you only have SRAM components? The other component manufacturer whose name begins with "S", and ends with an "o" also makes an e-bike system.

http://shimano-steps.com/e-bikes/europe/en/the-system

Danmtchl, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Put a chain tensioner on it so you can downshift in front with your toe :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and Faust29 like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I'm way too uncoordinated to try this... I'd either go over the bars, or lose all 5 toes in the attempt. Maybe both...

Danmtchl, mike and Cyclotourist like this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    @mike @Faust29 @herzalot You mean something like this:
    Cambio_corsa_campagnolo.jpg

Actually the hassle of shifting on that bike makes it much easier to decide on keeping it in one gear!

Grego, Danmtchl, Cisco Roots and 5 others like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Nice overnight outing at O'Neill Regional Park in Rancho Santa Margarita. Some friends were camping there, and invited me out. I came with two of my kids to do a quick over-nighter there. Dinner @ Rose Canyon, lunch up on the mesa, a quick ride on some local paths, then a visit to The Path. Back home 24 hours later! A quick visit with @Faust29 over coffee made it a perfect outing!
    A little of this:
    28279303626_32875a03ec_b.jpg

Some of this:
    28234686101_1342e87a0c_b.jpg

And checked out the latest in new bikes:
    28234687261_b7f7a36b9f_b.jpg

A great mid-week getaway!

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Suicide shifter, eh? I'll take the one-foot-off method! It's easier that it sounds, @Faust29 :)

7. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    It was nice to meet up with your group... Looks like you guys had fun. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Didn't ride yesterday, so I paid the price today.

Headed out to Sierra Peak. Right away the legs were tired and the HR was high. Temps were uncomfortably warm for the first 30 mins. We were pretty slow up to Beeks' and it continued out to Sierra Peak. Temps out there were really nice. Otherwise it was pretty uneventful.

Screenshot (382).png Screenshot (383).png

9. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Nice!! Looks like a fun time.

I still need to try that ride from Irvine train station up to oneill and down to San Juan Capistrano.

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    That wasn't my point. SRAM is responsible for fueling the 1 x11 trend and the elimination of the front derailleur. That's fine - lots of people think 1x11 is a better option than 2x10. But now they want us to need 1x12, to get back the range we had with a 2x10 system. They are also responsible for new shock sizing (metric) and other attempts to change standards just to get us addicts to think we need to upgrade. I love innovation, but I don't like snake oil. But it's business, and profit, sales and demand are all a part of business. They are not responsible for our gullibility and desire to part with our money.

I guess I just blew a gasket when SRAM introduced Eagle. It's like Single Speeders touting the simplicity of their bikes and then trying to find ways to add multiple gears to have options while on the trail - to overcome the inherent characteristic (no gearing options while riding) that they chose in the first place. In about a year we've gone from 142 to 148 to 152 rear end spacing, 100 to 110 front spacing, 27.5+ tire and compatible frames. 1x11, 1x12, electronic shifting, electric assist pedaling, metric shock sizing, rapidly expanding rim widths and probably more. Many of those "innovations" are just marketing gimmicks and planned obsolescence. Brilliant or manipulative - you decide. If being on the cutting edge motivates you, spend away my friends!

Oaken, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Yeah, do it! It's a fun full day ride, or a real easy over-nighter. We're kicking around ideas of using O'Neill as a base for multiple rides loops, as well as some overnighters up in the mountains.

Danmtchl, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  12. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I feel bad for lazy bike shop mechanics who just want to smoke weed and tinker.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Uhhhhhhh,
    I live, like less then 20 minutes from there...:eek:
    You neither got permission or invited me...:oops:
    I see this... as a problem?:cautious:

Hope you had an awesome day on my hill, ha hah! :laugh:

14. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Ohhhhh, THAT @Carson! The Carson from Ken Burton trail day. Welcome bud!
    Nice way to jump right in with "The Crew".

Cyclotourist and UPSed like this.
  15. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Yup THAT guy

16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    I did and am doing that, because I like trying new things, thinking for myself, doing what works for me, and having fun. So, I offer my sympathy for contributing to your resultant mental state. :laugh: BTW, I'm not a Single Speeder, I'm a bike rider.

Danmtchl, Faust29 and El Immigrante like this.
  17. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    ♡♡ Mr. Bff Carson, ! Hugs ♡
    thank you!
    FB_IMG_1468617348005.jpg

Danmtchl, El Immigrante and Luis like this.
  18. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    9 runs at Snow Summit today with @herzalot. We also had the good fortune of riding with (for a few runs) @ridinrox @doublewide and their friend Wilson(?). We met up with one of Herz's friends for one run late in the day (the aforementioned Scott in Herz's thread of woes) and we checked out Pirates outside of the park proper, but ended up breaking off down the fire road when they wanted to do Skyline. Herz was on his DH bike, and we were running out of time before the lifts closed.

Herz and I both had brake problems; his rear brake wouldn't completely release so there was always friction slowing him down. My soft/non-existent rear brake came back (I took it in for a bleed!), but as soon as I let it go out and gripped it again it had stopping power again. This didn't happen a ton, but enough that I wasn't on the gas for a good portion of the day.

As far as personal growth for me; I wanted to work on jumping this time up there, and I was slowly gaining confidence in my bike as I wasn't squashing the jumps so hard and was getting ITTY BITTY air on my front wheel, then starting to get ITTY BITTY air under my rear wheel, etc etc. On the 2nd to last Westridge run, I actually jumped one (didn't clear - but who cares, I got airborne!) and landed it clean. On the final run there were two in a row that Herz and I had identified were likely the most forgiving jumps, so I ended up getting airborne on those two back to back.

I'm still not terribly comfortable with jumping, but I was getting MUCH more comfortable with how the bike was moving by the end there. So I was very pleased with my progression there, even if I was pussy footing it a bit due to my sporadic rear brake.

Thanks for the company Herz, and it was good to see everyone we did up on the mountain, no matter how brief! :)

Grego, Danmtchl, Postal Pat and 10 others like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Finally - a day with 10,000' of ascending! :whistling:

I had a great time up at Snow Summit today. The crew at Snow Summit has made the jumps a bit more forgiving this year than the past two-three years. That helps me enjoy the place much more. Thank you for listening, SS!

As Craig mentioned, I had brake problems all day, but my last three runs were just painful as my brakes were pretty much closed and I could do nothing to get them to open up enough to let the wheel spin freely. :( I imagine I toasted a set of pads and possibly a rotor - 'cuz I kept goin' at 'er despite the malfunction. :cool: Pedaling back from Pirates and Fern was a real hoot! :confused:

I was jumping better today too, despite the difficulty of gaining and keeping speed. I also had some nice clean and quick runs on the sometimes-chunky Miracle Mile. Yay me!!!!

My only regret on the day was not getting a chance to follow @doublewide on a run. I learn best by emulating. I cruised along behind Rox, Mark and Winston for the first warm up run, then jetted ahead of Mark (who was busy riding tandem with and/or humping a friend) and Rox on run #2 as they were waiting for Winston - who had aileron problems on a muscle beach jump.

Great weather, light crowds, no falls, better jumps, good company, decent food, a beer after riding and no traffic driving up or down (Craig drove down). Couldn't ask for anything more!

Thanks all! Bikes are fun (although more fun when they work as designed). :thumbsup:

Grego, Danmtchl, Postal Pat and 12 others like this.
  20. El Immigrante

El Immigrante Member

Name:
    Montalvo
    Current Bike:
    Ibis
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Thread of woes? How dare you! :eek: My tale of Scott's trail trials is a tale of trail stoke!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: See for yourself.

My rants above about SRAM may be a (partial) thread of woes. :cautious:

22. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson v2
    You need to clear 27.5! It's really easy but scary. Just let the brakes go, take off straight and balanced and BOOM!

Danmtchl, El Immigrante and Cougar like this.
  23. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson v2
    Awesome! I'm inviting myself next time!

El Immigrante and herzalot like this.
  24. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson v2
    I rode today! With my 13 old son Andrew. He said he was ready to try some "harder" trails other than the flat stuff at Stantiago Oaks. So, we went up and down Chutes. He killed it! It was the best 5.7 miles and 600' of climbing I have ever had.

Now I'm so frustrated with how to insert a photo without it being a f**king URL on the stupid iPad.

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I know after reading my Snow Summit report above, most of you were probably worried sick about the status of my brakes.

You're probably wondering, "What's he going to do? Isn't he leaving for Tahoe tomorrow? Isn't he planning to take his DH bike? How is he going to get them fixed when all the shops are weeks out with service? God knows he can't bleed brakes and replace pads himself!"

Stage 21 to the rescue. I texted Mike on the way down from SS yesterday to ask if I could barge in and get him to take a look. He said "sure, bring it by." New pads, bleed, some lever magic and throw in a derailleur adjustment. 20 mins while I wait, for a nominal fee. Whew! Good to go.

Oh, and I can actually replace pads. I don't bleed brakes though. With my mechanical aptitude, it would take me two hours and I would do more harm than good.

Mikie, Danmtchl, littlewave and 5 others like this.
  26. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I went for a little ride with @mtnbikej today...

Now I know why you guys like riding in Aliso... Naked photoshoots? Seriously? :thumbsup:

Untitled 2.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

Cisco Roots, Mikie, Grego and 9 others like this.
  27. El Immigrante

El Immigrante Member

Name:
    Montalvo
    Current Bike:
    Ibis
    I'll be ready to join you for a ride like this by Fall. My weekly ride was 38, 8,500 a couple of years ago. Hope to build back up to that endurance in the next 3-5 months.

Mikie, Danmtchl, pperrelle and 2 others like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I've never meant this more...Pics - or it didn't happen!

Mikie, Oaken, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  29. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Well... Naked is an exaggeration. She was only topless. We were getting water at the lot at the base of Willow (I believe), and we noticed a girl in bikini with a photographer. She did several gymnastics poses, including a sexy handstand. Then the top came off... She made no attempt to cover up when we rolled into Willow...

Is this the kind of show you beach guys get all the time???

Mikie, Danmtchl, pperrelle and 3 others like this.
  30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Oh, it happened....but y'all didn't miss anything. Yoga chick looked like a dude.

Danmtchl, UPSed, pperrelle and 2 others like this.