I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Figured I had to take a run at it....I rarely get to ride it on a short ride, and generally after a long death march.....PR's just ain't gonna happen. :cool:

Faust29, Cougar, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  3. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    IMAG0676.jpg
    Got a 1:30hr window to ride and of course I did !!! sunny and cool breeze almost the whole way up. Got my first pair of "over the glasses" goggles and the fit really good ! Just counting the days to go and visit SS

Danimal, Cisco Roots, Mikie and 13 others like this.
  4. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I rode my friend's bike today. No flags achieved. STT to high point before drop to Luge. Turned around and hit my (semi-stealth) berms, along with a couple jumps. Found a new one, too, and stayed upright throughout. Stasis found in old shoes, new shorts, perfect temps, reasonable climbing considering lack of fitness, riding reverse direction with no traffic whatsoever, and home by dark.

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Got out for a Tuesday afternoon stroll. Got stuck at work, so later start than usual.

Ended up running into my buddy Eron so it turned into a social ride. Been a few weeks since we had ridden together. Towards the end we ran into @H2oChick & Greg, so we continued the social ride. Knocked a quick Horseshoe to Puma loop just before dark.

A couple of bigger groups of riders at the Oaks, but was still pretty quiet. As usual....still a good day on the bike.

Screenshot (335).png Screenshot (336).png

6. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Bort
    Current Bike:
    Like electrical current bike?
    Got out for 9.8 miles and 1100' of climbing after work at Oaks. Not too many people out (that I saw) except for a few other riders... including a youngster (12-14 years old maybe?) who was cutting the trails hiking his bike up goat. :mad: He had an Over the Hump plate on his bike as well which made me think that he has to ride with a dad or friends dad that would hopefully teach him different. Anyways, I said "please do not cut trails dude" as I rode by but probably just sounded like another parent/teacher to him. I always cringe when I see riders doing what I ask the horse people and hikers not to do.

The air was hazy
    image.jpeg

Either what was in here broke free to a new life or fed something else lunch.
    image.jpeg

7. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    It's a slow week in my industry as there is a massive conference in LA this week that people not even working the conference go to attend (E3 Expo), and earlier in the week I had thought about playing hooky to go ride my bike. This seed took hold today, and with meetings getting canceled left and right and the office being tremendously slow, I embraced my Exempt status and took off at 3:30 to go ride my bike.

Headed to Aliso and did Main Lot -> Coyote -> Cholla -> Rock-It -> Mathis -> Meadows, a pretty routine '2 ups' ride in the park. For however routine it was, my legs felt really good. I've been struggling the past few times in Aliso and had to walk parts of Mathis and Cholla, today I had no such problems. I cleaned Mathis and only had to put my foot down once on Cholla. So I felt really good about that, and that in turn translated into good runs down Rock-It and Meadows. It's always a mixed bag bombing down those runes in off-peak times; yay it's off peak so you don't really have to worry about traffic, boo it's off peak so if you get into trouble the time for some assistance might be highly variable. But I put down my 2nd best run down Meadows, and a top 5 run down Rock-It. I hit a rock odd high up in the garden and sort yanked myself to the left which was unexpected, but I recovered in stride, and it was otherwise a solid run.

It's nice to get a chance to get out there mid week. Temps were great too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/610616883

8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Cardiff by the Sea. 7:20am. Nice!

2016-06-16 08.26.16.jpg 2016-06-16 08.26.41.jpg

9. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Got out for a quick spin last night. Had been over a month since I'd ridden with my usual ridding buddy. We made the mistake of meeting at Willow, forgetting that the lot closes at 5, even though it doesn't get dark until 830...finally scouted out a place to park (with the homeowner's permission, thanks dude!), and then had to get across rush hour Laguna Canyon.

Went up Willow, across Fenceline, down Lizard, up Laurel/Serrano, down Camarillo, down Stagecoach South.

PR'd lots of climbs, so that was nice. Definitely warmer than we had hoped for, but nothing like what's coming. Hit lots of new lines, was really feeling good on the bike. Had to wait for a chain of 20+ riders coming up Camarillo on their Wednesday night ride. We figured we watched about $140,000 worth of plastic bikes pass us by. :eek:

All in all, a nice mid week ride!

6 15 16 Ride.JPG

10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    If the kid is out there, and not home on the couch, there's hope that he'll learn... Eventually.

Danimal, pperrelle and Cornholio like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    A nice easy spin up Blackstar and a little beyond... I climbed until my 9:00 cutoff time and then enjoyed the ride back down. :thumbsup:
    Temps in the 50s, all the sinkholes filled in, a quiet bike, and awesome views. Wait... Is that stasis? If you don't realize stasis at the time, is it still stasis? :confused:o_O

The Aliens landed down below:
    IMG_0819.JPG

Just one of those days when you stop and smell the flowers...
    IMG_0815.JPG Untitled 2.jpg

12. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    A "recovery" ride in Aliso this morning. Been having so much fun on Mentally Sensitive lately I passed Meadows for it again. Then I got the bright idea to climb Meadows so I could come back down it. Sufferage on tired legs. I did get to check out the winter/spring trailwork on Meadows, it's holding up well @kioti. And I got to be the hiker saying Hi to all the riders coming down :)
    Pic of sign at the top of Meadows:
    IMAG1834.jpg
    One gal riding down looked just like the one on the sign. She had a big smile on her face. I asked if she was having fun, she yelled "this trail is a blast!":inlove: At the top of Meadows, talked for awhile with a couple of elder bikers, and then a gentleman hiker probably in his 80s, still going strong. Fun morning out there. And yes, I did wear sensible shoes. :thumbsup:

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Looks like the rigid fork is still on there.....what's the holdup?

Danimal, pperrelle and Faust29 like this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    It's in and ready to go back on... It'll be there Saturday. :thumbsup: Graduation and in-laws can throw off any schedule. o_O

mike, pperrelle and mtnbikej like this.
  15. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley V4 & DV9
    Decided to swap the Tranny over to Single speed. Parts came in yesterday so I tossed it together last night and did a quick pre-work run to Peters Cyn from the garage this morning to test her out. Running 30-20 right now since I already had a 30t front chainring on the bike. Will probably eventually go to something slightly taller since this spun out pretty easily. It did feel good to grind up hills again! The bike is light and stiff set up this way. I'll run it SS for a while but may eventually toss the rear derailleur back on. We'll see.

image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I rode last night.

Thursdays are usually reserved for a casual social ride with my wife and a friend or 2 up Blackstar.

We headed out and the pace was quicker than usual.

By the time we got to the end of the canyon, Hugh and I had dropped my wife and friend. There were only about a minute or 2 behind. Regrouped and started the climb. Social pace...shooting the Sh!t. A few turns up, my wife started slipping off the back. Jeremy wasn't far ahead of her, and again Hugh and I started to pull away. One last regroup and Hugh takes off. I planned to just hang back with my wife. Then I hear her "go chase the rabbit". DAMMIT!!!!!! I was looking for a cruise. Now I was in chase mode. By the time I started to chase, he had already opened a pretty good lead.

I was able to see him above me at different points. Dropped into Hidden Ranch and kept pushing. Up towards the top, I could see he was about to reach the gate. He turned around and crossed paths on the last turn. Quick sprint to the gate for me and turned around. Descended back to my wife and Jeremy who were quite a ways back. From there back up, it was a social cruise...at least back up to the top.

Then it was the usual mad scramble back down.

Good times.

Screenshot (338).png Screenshot (339).png

17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    I snuck out on my FS, from HJ parking up Holy Jim to Upper Joplin, then descended UJ, Joplin, Cadillac and back.

San Gabes in the distance, Inland Empire and Coldwater Ridge – from Main Divide at top of Upper Holy Jim
    IMG_2877.jpg

San Gorgonio range left, San Jacinto right
    IMG_9273.jpg

Gravity was noted to be within the moderately-low to low range. All trails are overgrown, which requires care to avoid rocks, stumps, rut edges. I learned this on an initial easy section on Joplin where I wound up tangled in my bike as though I had never ridden one before. Otherwise gave up a dab and a do-over. Joplin is still fun and worth doing despite the overgrowth.

Few people out, a cool day with some black flies in the usual spots, worth a head net.

But, what's with the camera at the top of Holy Jim?

IMG_1265.jpg

18. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Good one @mike, way to beat the heat. Does it look like there's been more moto traffic on Joplin? It was kinda bad/loose last time. And what would be the point of a camera, is that at MD and HJ? Maybe to see who actually no dabs down the rocky drop from MD? :unsure:

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Wildlife camera.....

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Dave, I didn't notice any moto damage. The downed tree where the ride-around has been mostly cut out of the trail. LOL...the dab monitor. Too bad it wasn't there when I yard saled on it back then :eek::Roflmao

Jz, the thought did cross my mind...saw some good-sized hoof prints high on HJ.

21. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Didn't add this earlier, but rode STT to old camp last Sunday. Another Jeep was stuck on STT. In the EXACT SAME SPOT as the other two.
    They need to go somewhere, and I guess I'm getting used to it, but if your vehicle isn't in good enough shape to make it out stay one the road and off the off road.

Hope no one pushed it over the side, Not because of the jeep, just be a shame to litter the side of the mountain with a 3rd vehicle.

22. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Was that above Cadillac, or below? Didn't see anything below Cady on Tues...

kioti likes this.
  23. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Right AT the spot where the other two went over the side. You know where they had the little orange flags a while ago.
    I'm guessing they got it out but there was obvious trail damage caused by.

How do you like the road to the top of the hill, where one didn't exist until the Jeeps used their winches to rip out bushes and drive up.
    So disappointed at the lack of respect. Although they do need somewhere to go, just like us Mtb's do.

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    This Jeep looked like a quite capable rig. It was facing up the trail and its winch was deployed. There was evidence of another vehicle that had backed in to try to tow it out. The Jeep was on flat, stable ground, with no obvious problems with suspension, tires or drivetrain. Not stuck.

Seems these guys start by going up Cadillac and just keep going until they get to a place they can go no further. I imagine all of the signage is missing and gates have been torn out, so, in their defense, there is no obvious warning that they are not allowed.

Faust29, Danimal, kioti and 2 others like this.
  25. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    The Forest Service took the last stuck 4WD owner to court, and also made him hire a helicopter service to pull his car out. They've got a plan to close Cadillac, but this will remain a potentially serious problem until they do that.

Faust29, Danimal, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    @Cougar and I set out for a nice little two-park tour this morning. Parked at Aliso a bit before 7am. It was pretty chilly along the creek and I was glad I was wearing my vest. A fair bit of traffic on the trail already. Lots of bike groups. We went "up" Coyote, up Cholla and hit the Stairs. Craig had never done Stairs before. It can be a little intimidating your first time down.

Across Laguna Canyon, up Willow, Fence Line... Dropped Lizard, climbed Laurel under the 73, dropped Camarillo. Craig has Camarillo dialed - including the sketchy rocky switchback that I usually dab. We ran into a huge herd of young riders in Orange TLD "Laguna Canyon Riders" jerseys, led by a few friends and acquaintances of mine (Mo, Patrick from Laguna Cyclery, Facundo). There must have been 20 or more kids ranging from 8-13 years in age. After a little socializing, off we went "down" Stagecoach. We got caught up in a conga line of 8 riders. I am sure they appreciated my ice-cream bell jingling behind them.

At the base of Willow, I ran into another friend on a turquoise and black Intense Spider 275. He can do that, since he's CEO of Intense. Then we did the slog up Phillips Road (I haven't done that in over a year, and it was definitely steeper than I remember it). It was painful, and it was getting hot. We then pushed up the chunk that is Stairs.

A nice quick, fun and rowdy run down Rock-It - perhaps a bit too rowdy for Cougar. He can tell you about that.

That's all we had time for, plus, I was feeling very anemic. My legs were fine, but I was just feeling very low on energy. Heat and no breakfast may have contributed to that, plus drinking wine at night and eating bags and bags of chips all week probably did not help.

Craig's Garmin said 2650' but I am calling BS. I know the climbs and the altitudes in those two parks and it seems like we might have done more like 3100', including our push up stairs. Can any of you Aliso/LCWP regulars like @StrandLeper chime in to see if our route was better than 2650? Although, come to think of it, my legs actually agree with the lower number.:whistling:

20 miles, 2650' and allegedly 91* at the finish line at 10:30am, according to my car - which is usually pretty accurate.

Bikes are fun - and thanks for the camaraderie, Craig!:thumbsup:

27. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Rock-It was awesome. Herz and I were flying down the trail (hell we were flying down lots of the downhills - stairsteps excluded :p), and at the very bottom of the last major rock garden I hugged the right line a little tooooo close and tagged the bush that is sticking out into the trail. That pushed me enough laterally that at 17mph in the rock garden there was no saving it. Bike went down on it's left (yay no drivetrain damage) and I went soaring through the air with enough time that I was able to rotate and land on my back (hydration pack protected!). My arms/leg armor did it's job, and aside from the pause to take stock of everything, I've got a few strawberries as a reminder of the epic crash. Epic in a fun way.

They say that you are less likely to get hurt when you are going 110% and more likely to get hurt when you start getting timid and let off the gas, and this was certainly a crash that (along with proper armor) absolutely speaks to that. Even after the adrenaline wore off, I still really enjoyed my run down Rock-It; crash included (since the damage is all superficial).

Stairsteps was interesting for my first time. Side note; Herz is my tech cherry popper. Take that for what you will. I was doing well following Chris' line up until we got to The Ledge. This really needs the capitalization for those of you that haven't ever seen the trail. After having HAB back up it later on, and watching a few other riders, I know what to do next time... but even following Chris there is just an instinctual reaction coming up to The Ledge for the very first time and having a decent amount of common sense. With some practice I could probably enjoy that, but damn it's steep.

We had really good runs down Fenceline and Lizards too. We got to the top of Fenceline and there were a dozen people milling about and Chris calls back, "ready?" and off we went ahead of the crowd. For as busy as the park was, we had relatively benign cross traffic, and that held true on Lizards too. We dropped into Lizards and we heard someone drop in behind us, but pretty quickly we dropped those guys as Chris and I blasted down the initial DH portion of Lizards. I even almost crashed in a new and interesting way; I was riding pretty aggressively and at one point my front tire drifted out on a turn on me. I was able to recover, but that was a first for me. Usually my rear tire gets squirrelly, not my front. But I was leaning my bike pretty hard in places.

It was a good day on the bike, and it's always fun to ride with Herz. It did get a wee bit hot in the sun today though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/613212073/overview

tech1.PNG

tech2.PNG

tech3.PNG
    This is a fun pic; can you see where I crashed? hehe. HR Spiked, speed to zero. Snicker :)

28. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Good ride @Cougar and @herzalot :thumbsup:! Glad your getoff wasn't too bad Craig, thank goodness for hydration packs, a great piece of safety gear imo. I used to do the stairsteps crossover quite a bit but haven't in awhile. Some great loops to put together, but that hike back up stairs, ugh, and it always seems to be towards the end of the ride when it's getting hot.

A couple times I did nearly the same route except added BVD and the Emerald canyon climb back to Bommer ridge. Was ~3100 per Garmin. I think the Emerald climb is 400-500, so that 2650 seems about right. Some steep climbs for sure.

29. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Love the data on the last shot. Says your using a 520, is the HR monitor a chest strap? Think the 520 is a good unit? worth getting?

Sorry for the derail...

30. BeckTrex

BeckTrex Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    2009 Giant Trance X3
    @SiriusStargazer and I tried to beat the heat and start a little earlier than usual and rid close to home to cut down on travel time. At our usual 7:00 meet up time we were already a couple of miles down the trail and it was still nice and cool. The plan was Chino Hills State Park but I wanted to show Jeff the infrequently visited Lilac trail and the Rabbit trail on the far west side of the park. We entered the park at the Discovery center on Carbon Canyon but when the road takes a right to Telegraph we turned left and followed an unnamed trail that sort of parallels Carbon Canyon but is mostly single track with a bit of climbing. You got to be careful on this trail there is an 8 foot wide, 5 foot deep stream bed that cuts across the trail at a spot that it would really easy to have too much speed before you see it. That trail lets out in to the trailer park at the top of Olinda. From there we followed Lilac lane to the Lilac Trail head and followed that trail to finish our 1,000 foot climb to the top. All the horse traffic has worn down much of the rough spots on Rabbit Run but it was still a fun trail down. It was only 9:00 by the time we made it back to the Discover center so we cruised up Telegraph to 4 corners and then made good use of the shade there before climbing Bolivian. It was getting pretty hot by the time we reached South Ridge but the fast ride down made me forget all about the heat, at least until we were climbing the hill after Rim Crest. Just one stop on the way down, we were flagged down by a couple of hikers that had no idea where they were and how to get back to their car. Hopefully we got some good karma for mountain bikers in general as we set them straight.

Strava Stats: 25.5mi , 3:18:08 , 2,958ft

Want to donate to imtbtrails?