I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I had one of those WTF moments today... When you "discover" a network of trails less than a mile from your house. o_O I knew about Ding Dong, as I'd hiked down it quite a few years ago, and Knucklebuster has written about it a couple of times. But, I didn't remember a pretty good network of trails to go along with it. Even some cool partially overgrown single track that runs above the Trabuco wash.

Cadillac to the left, Santiago Peak in the distance, and Ding Dong to the right...

xploring-2.jpg

xploring.jpg

BeckTrex, Grego, Mikie and 14 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Your very own FLoop!!!:):thumbsup::whistling::p

Mikie, Danimal, pperrelle and 2 others like this.
  3. Marty657

Marty657 Member

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    yes way!!!! Surprised me too

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Got passed on I Think I Can last weekend by a d'bag on an e-bike. They're heeeerre

5. R Trujillo

R Trujillo Member

Name:
    Richard Trujllo
    Current Bike:
    2016 Santa Cruz Bronson
    Ditched work and took the wife and boy for a ride at Marshall Canyon. The boy is still struggling with the "Pay to Play" climbs but once we got a ways up, he forgot all about it. He had a blast coming down the trail and splashing through the crossings. The wifey did good too considering she was riding for her first time with a custom knee brace after having surgery on her knee about 6 weeks ago. Great to get out there and cruise with the fam.
    marshall-32516_zps9vfdkft0.jpg
    marshall2-32516_zpsmxgpliov.jpg
    marshall3-32516_zpssuqyun5x.jpg

BeckTrex, Grego, Mikie and 17 others like this.
  6. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    You planning on spending the night up there? Thought that was a sleeping bag. What is a feedbag?

Mikie, Faust29 and TheBennyHillSlow like this.
  7. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Ben if you like I am available Fridays. I can show you the goods on Itchy scratchy and webb. nice 11 mile loop.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson v2
    It kind of looks like Italy.......

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson v2
    I will assume most e bikers are extremely out of shape or think it looks cool sitting on the back of their Hummer that never sees dirt!

Can we all get behind the real annoyance that is getting worse and worse. BLUETOOTH SPEAKERS in backpacks or attached to handlebars! Some of us like the quiet! I don't need to listen to your crap music all the way up (insert name of hill here). I actually got so annoyed I stopped mid climb, let him catch up, pass me, then go on another good distance so I could enjoy myself once again.

10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Went up GMR - I was going to go to Mt Baldy Village, but breakfast decided something else had to happen. I boogied down Monroe Truck Trail and took care of bidness. :x3:

On the way home I did a gratuitous basic FLoop. Just because. Interestingly, only one bottle for both rides, combined. Didn't quite finish it, and never touched the second one. Weather was perfect.

GMR and MTT were a veritable rush hour freeway today. I saw at least a hundred roadies and several MTBs too going up GMR. At east 12 MTB climbing MTT as I was headed down, plus a few bombers in full armor down MTT.

upload_2016-3-26_13-18-1.png

But this is MTT at its best, when the rains have been recent.
    20160326_100128.jpg

20160326_100134.jpg

The FLoop was...well, the FLoop.

I got about 3,500 feet and 29 miles in today. Good day, good fun.

BeckTrex, Grego, Mikie and 15 others like this.
  11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    I rode my bike today and I am exhausted. I have been fighting a cold all week and I had already committed to a Suicide loop with Kevin and Randall. I actually felt pretty good on the climb but not too confident on the descent. It was still a great ride over all. Time for some nachos!20160326_130438.png
    I post on my phone 99.9% of the time. Right now I'm on the computer and just realized how obnoxious the screen shots are! So sorry! :(

BeckTrex, Grego, Mikie and 12 others like this.
  12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Might need to invest in an EMP!

Doc Holliday, BeckTrex, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  13. Marty657

Marty657 Member

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    I could not agree more.

Doc Holliday, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  14. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Ride today, 11.9 and 1800. Basic whiting loop, but from the house so adds some dirt.

Got three thanks from hikers today. They move, say thanks, and my flow continues w/o interruption. Oh the joys of a bell on weekends in OC.
    Although I do think hrz put a note on all the large visored hikers vehicles in Aliso pointing them here! I'd like to thank you for that. :/

BeckTrex, Grego, Mikie and 10 others like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2 of the 3 e-bikers I have seen seemed perfectly capable of pedaling a bike. Not overweight. I will assume they had a medical condition that leaves them no option other than not riding. Somehow, I doubt it. They are just lazy and are choosing a different way of enjoying the sport. Unfortunately, we don't need any help getting trails closed to mt. bikes, but charging up a hill at 20 mph is certainly not going to win any points with hikers or horsey people, especially if it's on singletrack.

And "Amen Brother" on external speakers.

16. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    OTBers Hans, Igor, and Alex are training for a Colorado Trail bike packing trip so yesterday they headed up from Millard, to Mt Wilson, into Chantry and down to Valley Forge or Switzers to camp, animals!

Since I cant do the bike packing thing,I thought I'd join them for their ride back down to Millard today. Their plan was to hit Strawberry, up to Eaton Saddle, down the Merrills to ElP so this is what I signed myself up for. Was originally just gonna take the SCOA shuttle for the ride up but mid week Jose called me and said he wanted in, yes!

So this morning we headed up to Switzers to meet up w Hans and co, and never saw them lol. So we decided to head out w out them. We climbed up Josephine, completed the Strawberry Loop, minus Gabrielino, headed up to Eaton Saddle from Red Box and hit Mt Lowe, Middle Merrill, Sunset, and El P. Jose was not in the best of ride shape and he suffered bad. This is way out of character for him b/c he is normally a STRONG rider and smokes me on most climbs. He manned up though and pulled off the whole ride. Its a great route and still a decent amount of climbing even though it was technically a "shuttle" ride!

image.png
    Strawberry!
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    Jose on Middle Merrill
    image.jpeg

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
  18. TheBennyHillSlow

TheBennyHillSlow Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Ben
    Current Bike:
    Bike
    That would be great. I rode it today, parked at towne and climbed mountain ave. Stopped halfway to take a breather on my big bike. Then went up all the way to Claremont loop and dropped down Marshall cyn. Climbed back up to the gazebo and down Webb. Not sure where itchy scratchy is.

image.jpg

BeckTrex, Grego, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Mikie and TheBennyHillSlow like this.
  20. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    Today's ride was Santiago Oaks after I no showed on @herzalot & @shawndoh in Aliso.
    18 miles & 2900'+ climbing. Up chutes, down mtn goat, across bumblebee and up coachwhip, over to and down deer, climb out and go right to do the weir canyon loop for the first time. Decent loop, nothing gnarly, short climbs, nice views. An easy way to add some miles. After that I climbed all the way out of deer loop, up to the flag for a snack. Then headed back down and out of deer loop backwards. From deer I went down coachwhip across bumblebee, up mtn goat and down chutes ridge line, and back out to jamboree.

image.jpeg

image.png

BeckTrex, Mikie, Voodoo Tom and 11 others like this.
  21. TheBennyHillSlow

TheBennyHillSlow Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Ben
    Current Bike:
    Bike
    Yeah an 08, freeride ain't dead! Haha
    It's a fun bike. Got it not too long ago, just something to mess around with.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  22. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Quick last minute ride/shuttle today. Hit some STEEPS coming into the canyon.Easter Eve Ride.JPG

Grego, Mikie, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    So that's either Waimea or T and A - both are challenging as hell.

Mikie likes this.
  24. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Got a text from my youngest daughter Fri night: Can I bring my bike?

I almost fell over....

I took her to Santa Rosa Plateau yesterday. I was blown away how far she's come on a MTB and a SS no less. The things I thought she'd walked, she just plowed through. I was one proud mama. Now I know how you other parents feel - I've been waiting a long time to experience it. Yew.....

After our ride I took her to a lil dive Mexi restaurant called Los Molcajetes in Wildomar where she devoured a bean burrito the size of a loaf of bread. Yep, I'm proud at that too!! :thumbsup:

25. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Love the stories and pics :thumbsup: What a great thread...
    Gotta admit, the screen shots of stats are like ads to me. Ignored and blown past as quickly as possible. Some prolly think the same about the youtube links I post, so it all evens out. :cool:

Anybody catch the 50-mile runners in the Santa Anas yesterday? What a case study observing the field from the front back. Some of those leaders looked so casual, others tenuous; a few, grim. One poor lass back a ways had the full technicolor yawn going...we offered what we had, but what she really needed was for it to be done. This was around mile 29 : 0 Quite a contrast to us, whooping, giggling, sledding along with gravity, heading for the nearest cold beer. Props to Jonathon, Moria and Knuckles for crushing the Jims...and Main Divide from HJ to UHJ, which is in the worst shape evah.

Super nice day out, some cool breeze everywhere and not many flies. A great day to share the trails with a million SoCalers in all modes of transpo.

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    What it does do is offer a visual of the route/map especially for those who are not familiar with the areas being ridden. The stats are also a nice reference for time vs. distance.

But no, they are not for everyone.

Ride on. :thumbsup: :Barefoot:

27. Postal Pat

Postal Pat Member

Name:
    patrick
    Current Bike:
    kona hei hei
    Wait, these are annoying now, great just when I figured out how to do one. Anyways I rode my bike today

IMG_20160327_142033.jpg

28. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Put a new rear tire on the Bronson. Determined to give it some love. 100 yards from house, dropper dies. Stuck at the low position. But I really want to ride the B son. So ... F it. It will just be a funky leg workout. Mentally, five oaks twice, climbing cholla with seat all the way down. Fun ride. Attitude is everything. As I was cruising down mentally, the new beefy rear tire made its presence known. A blast.

Beautiful day!

https://www.strava.com/activities/528403208

29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Quickie (MTB) in our backyard with Jennifer. 4.3 and 644' Happy Easter everyone!20160327_095130-3200x2400.jpg 20160327_092504-3200x2400.jpg

30. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Another STRAVA Advertisement :sneaky:
    My bike rode me yesterday...
    Bike for Bender out of Pioneertown.
    B4B.Pioneertown.PNG