I Rode My Bike Today... with DangerDirtyD (and I liked it!)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    I'm sort of a chameleon. I tend to blend in with what ever the situation is. I'll bring an element of me but I like to what I call "be in kind".

So when it comes to riding with @DangerDirtyD i can tell you for the most part it's not elevated conversations of deep philosophical thesis material. Because we are too focused on just being kids. Dio is the mischevious kid in all of us. If you said the word duty, Dio would giggle and say back, “You said doody!” Thank goodness! I wouldn’t have it any other way. I have to pretend to be an adult all week at my job although i do tend to be the goofball there too when it's safe.

Dio asked if I would come down and ride his neck of the woods on Saturday. He also wanted to ambush @Tom the Bomb after the ride as TtB was sitting out after a little medical action. I liked the idea, so I met him at his house in La Verne at a little before 11:00am for some mid day riding. Met his much better half Jessica and their precious baby. Now I'm not much of a baby dude, but that little creature was precious!

We ended up doing two rides that day... Barrett Stoddard and then Marshall Canyon over to Itchy Scratchy.
    The first was a shuttle. Now don't go thinking this was a non climb ride. Oh it had climbing. In fact we climbed all day it seemed like with short bursts of descent payoff. Barrett Stoddard was the longest descent. Clearly once a fire road sucked back in by nature and narrowed to a singletrack with some nice surprises! My arms took a beating, like they always take a beating and I had blood trickling down my left arm from a million jabs of serrated vegetation. I almost looked as bad as Tom the Bomb does when he gets beat to death using 800 wide bars.

D3.part 1.PNG

We parked at the Barrett Stoddard Trailhead and made nearly a 3 mile climb to the saddle then dropped the fire road which tuned to a singletrack. Fast and fun! A little overgrown like I said so I bled like a hemophiliac. I'm thinking it's time for kevlar sleeves of some sort.

We loaded up the truck and we moved to Beverly... Hills that is. Actually this was where I left my car for the ride back up to the trailhead.
    DSCF1652.jpg

Barret Stoddard Trailhead. Dio Storm Trooper's up.
    DSCF1653.jpg

It's amazing there are canyons still leaking streams and the greenery that comes with it!

DSCF1654.jpg

The fire road we start out on. There are actually residence on this beat up poorly maintained fire road.
    DSCF1655.jpg

Less than two miles into our climb, looking back at the trailhead where we parked.

DSCF1656.jpg

Behind the back shot.
    DSCF1659.jpg

The Climb still ahead...
    DSCF1662.jpg

After the singletrack descent, the blood already flowing... Hey! It's Halloween.
    DSCF1663.jpg

If you are looking for intellectual riding pics... Well that aint going to happen as neither of us are interested.

DSCF1665.jpg

DSCF1666.jpg

DSCF1667.jpg

We finished up this ride and headed back up in my car to get Dio's truck then had a mutual psychic network understanding to head to Rubio's for some fish taco's. We took them “to go” so we could bring Jessica some grub as well. Ate on Dio's back patio which was an awesome and quiet setting. Then we geared back up and rode from his house North up the street to the Marshall Canyon trailhead.

D3.part 2.PNG

Marshall canyon starts out very subtle and urbanistic as a dirt paseo next to a concrete waterway but then gets into some very small short steeps that gradually get bigger until you are climbing some steep fashizzle. Met some horse folks out there. Met a LOT of their horse Sh!t out there on the trail as well. Hmmm, our horses didn't do that? None the less it was nice (the trail, not the horse Sh!t) as we made a lot of stream crossings.

Marshal Canyon.
    DSCF1668.jpg

DSCF1669.jpg

Along the way, we came across this guy. He was probably about 6 inches across. I moved him out of the trail which he/she did not seem to appreciate.
    DSCF1670.jpg

About the 4.8 mile marker on our climb up Marshall Canyon is where my not so good looking team mate decided he literally needed to blow chunks. Apparently the Taco Saturday was not settling in well. I however was not going to take pictures of this event, but Dio insisted stating as always, it will be funny later. Just not right now.

DSCF1671.jpg

Views as we climbed. I have no idea what I am looking at other than the L.A. basin.
    DSCF1675.jpg

We climbed to this trail rest stop. Funny. Where I come from if you have a rock, log, stump, or side of hill nearby to kick it on when you rest, it's a heyday. Here, they erect practically monuments for hikers and cyclists and name them after politicians.
    DSCF1677.jpg

It's here we thought to do a Storm Trooper photo shoot for I think @SnakeCharmer...
    DSCF1678.jpg

DSCF1679.jpg

DSCF1680.jpg

DSCF1681.jpg

It is with this last photo that I began to realize we were going to run out of daylight.
    DSCF1682.jpg

Itchy Scratchy was not at all what I expected. It's basically a serious drop down a somewhat burnt in singletrack that weaves between heavy brush down rutted v cuts from heavy rain. You are burning your brakes on the drops and then immediately climbing in low gear to the next serious drop. I tripoded a couple spots as I did not know what was coming around turns, it was great to do... once. I'm a little in for more of the fast and chunky (which we definitely did have earlier in the day).

Climbing back up to the ridge to the pass after Itchy Scratchy we did what we could to bomb down Marshall Canyon hitting some singletrack and fire road. It was so dark it got to the point where I literally could not see where I was going. Dio hammered it pretty well. I was afraid I was going to take myself out on some unseen rocks and fly over the bars. But I didn't. When we finally did hit the street dropping South toward home, we were giggling like school kids under the street lights like we got away with something.

Got to his house and I had to roll. It was after 7:00pm and I still had to call Cathy and had an hour and 48 minute drive home if traffic was kind to me. Dio is such a great host, he has been on every ride he has asked me down on. He Grabbed a couple Ice Teas out of the garage fridge for me for the drive home. I hit up an In and Out Burger in Santa Clarita on the 5 and got home around 9:00pm that night.

Great day with my brothah DangerDirtyD! Biking with the best friends on the planet... imtbtrails.

Thanks Man!!!!

2. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Excellence!!!!!!!! TFPU! :thumbsup:

3. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Awesome, can only imagine how much fun was had. Sucks I missed this. So did you guys ambush Ttb???

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Storm Trooper alert! :eek:

Sounds like a nice adventure. It's relatively close to me and yet I have never ridden it. o_O

Tom the Bomb, DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    We made much attempt towards this but we could not connect and rumor had it he was in San Diego...:(

6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    I like how the pads are white... needs a white helmet and clothes, and could go full on storm-trooper look... would be awesome!!!

7. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Mikie nice of you to come down to OUR neck of the woods!! Glad Dio took his meds, could have been really bad:Roflmao:Roflmao:D

8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    It was a good day. It's been a while since I had an entire day to play with one of my best good friends, and then to throw in lunch with the family at home and two rides, oh man!

We were planning on ambushing the mailman himself @Tom the Bomb, but my intel source suggested he may be in San Diego. Next time Bomb! Get well soon!

Mikie looks out for me. He put the kibosh on an ill advised safety break with a total stranger at the Barrett Stoddard trailhead. He kept a sustainable pace and waited graciously for me at the top of the climbs and while I puked the mixture of fish tacos and tailwinds (mostly tailwinds) from my gut. I was dragging, but I didn't want to give up on Itchy-Scratchy. All in all almost 30 miles and 4,000'. I love you Mikie! Kisses!

9. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Haha I was testing Black belts at my school 12-4 then home. Sorry I missed ya.
    Tues will be 3 weeks post umbilical hernia surgery. 1 more week and I hit the pavement at 6 weeks I am back in the dirt baby! Thanks for thinking if me guys. Healing vibes are working. sorry to hear you puked your Rubios Triple D! Keep them RR's coming!

10. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    I was dragging up Marshall after shuttling Stoddard a few hours earlier. After I puked, I bounced back like a champ in granny gear the rest of the day.

11. Old Skool

Old Skool Member

Hacienda Hgts. (Turnbull Cyn. is My Backyard!)
    Name:
    Rick
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 5.7 C (w/ 650b's)
    I was going to ask if DDD had any "safety breaks" looks like Mikie took care of that! Looks like a great day!

12. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    I ride Marshall Canyon a quite a bit, but haven't heard of Barrett Stoddard... you have peaked my interest, looks like a good time.

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.