I Rode My Bike Today (UK edition)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Lost Kiwi, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    Nugget Proflex 657
    Thought you guys may be interested in seeing what riding is like on the other side of the pond.
    *Note: Riding in Coventry is not representative of the rest of the UK (Its pretty shite round here off road)

First a bit of geography/ history. Coventry is in the Midlands, called the midlands cos its in the middle innit.
    Capture.JPG
    I'm the blue dot just south of Coventry, Birmingham is the UKs 2nd biggest city and about 4o minutes to the west and the edge of London (M25 ring road) is about 1.5 hours south east down the M40 - commonly referred to round these parts as the english autobahn, you can comfortably cruise @ 90 without to much hassle from the fuzz. I was hoping to head to Cannock Chase (the red pin) which has a dedicated bike park as around here its easiest the best riding but the missus had stolen the chariot for the little man so I had to make do with a local run I have found. Anywhere on the map you see a big green splodge is generally a good spot to go riding, note the very obvious exception of any sizeable green splodge near me :(

Coventry actually has a pretty big bike history, bike manufacturing started here when sewing machine manufacturers diversified in the late 1800s (https://oldbike.wordpress.com/7-bicycles-manufactured-in-coventry/)
    The local transport museum has a cool collection of some of this old stuff. I have an illogical want to get an early 1900s machine to park in the garage and play with but anything that comes up locally usually gets snapped up by the museum for restoration and display...

Anyway onto the ride, the weather was a barmy 6 degrees (43f for you lot) up from the overnight low of -3 (26f) whilst we hadn't got any snownear us places within an hour had. I'd managed to patch up my leaking brake MC so rugged up and headed out. First stop is the woods at the top of my street, probably the best single track on the whole ride.
    IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0220.jpg
    From there its a pretty cruise up the local bike/dog walking path beside a stream (round here they call it a river :cautious:)
    IMG_0222.jpg
    crossing to the wrong side of the tracks
    IMG_0221.jpg
    Out past the hospital and along a local bridleway through some farmers fields
    IMG_0225.jpg
    From there I can get into the back of Coombe Abbey, its a Downton Abbey abbey rather than a churchie one. Probably the most scenic part of the ride.
    IMG_0226.jpg IMG_0227.jpg
    After dodging some angry swans (I kid not, seen one of those fiesty buggars take on a Bull Terrier!) its back onto more bridleway for the run home....
    IMG_0228.jpg
    There is one more wood for some more singletrack along the way
    IMG_0230.jpg
    Dodging mole holes heading across the park
    IMG_0231.jpg
    If you've been left with the distinct impression that things are rather flat around here then give yourself a gold star, nearly 14 miles of riding and less than 500 feet of elevation!

Anyway, hope you enjoyed, time to start packing my bags for a return to the OC on Monday for another 9 days. Looking forward to some warmer weather and a decent climb / descent or three :)

IMG_0229.jpg

littlewave, mike, Rumpled and 23 others like this.
  2. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    That was a fun jaunt! Thanks for sharing!

3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

4. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Great ride report! Love the greenery.

Spent 10+ years of my life in the UK and the one thing i truly miss is actually the road biking. I had outfits for every temperature. I miss the small country lanes, it surely beats biking Jamboree. Yes weather is not that good, but i could bike for so long and loved it.

Some cool pictures! Have you been MTB-ing in the Lakes District too? That is the MTB-ing i did do (rental bikes). That was fun..

5. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    Nugget Proflex 657
    Road is 100x more popular than MTB round here, purely because anything decent off-road is a car ride away. In my younger years I despised the road as it was so bloody boring compared to off road but I've come to realise that living in NZ meant I was truly spoilt for choice. For example this place was at the bottom of my suburb https://makarapeak.bike/

However a few years back I got given an old hybrid from a friend (wahoo, free bike, spend a stupid amount of money on it) and turned it into a mongrel flat bar hybrid/roadie creation thats really comfortable. Over this summer I spent more time on that out on the local country roads than on the Marin. 5 minutes of riding and I'm out in the countryside riding quiet back lanes barely seeing a car. Its actually really enjoyable and for the most part (ignoring TdF wannabes) the others out riding are friendly and up for a chat.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to go further afield with bike in tow. Places like the Lakes district, Peak district and North Wales are all on the wish list. However my work travel schedule can be punishing - my record this year was 7 days @ home in a 2.5 month period - so when I am actually home I tend not to stray far so I can spend as much time with the family as possible.

6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Outstanding!! Someday I want to check out my origins around Warwickshire (my surname originated there roughly 1,000 yrs ago) and if possible check out the riding conditions. :whistling: Maybe even pay a courtesy call on the Bard since Stratford-on-Avon is just down the road.

Wife will make me go to Spain first.:rolleyes:

7. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    Ride report of the day, that's for sure! Probably better than what those hooligans will bring us from Palm Canyon! :p:D

8. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    @Lost Kiwi great report and thanks for sharing Simon. Always interesting to read of other riding locales especially when they’re in a foreign land.

9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Thanks for sharing. That was fabulous!

Tom the Bomb and Danmtchl like this.
  10. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    Nugget Proflex 657
    I did that! Its actually quite humbling to trace back your history, I'm a bit further north, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyland,_Lancashire (I'm so famous they named a town after me :p)

BTW I hate to say this but listen to your wife and go to Spain first. That place rocks! Awesome food, sweet lifestyle, great weather and Mondraker bikes. I would live there in a heartbeat.

herzalot, mike, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  11. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Brilliant! Lost kiwi..love ur ride report! We dont get too much carpet wet track round here.. but recent rains has made things good.. once a year!

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  12. ULEWZ

ULEWZ Member

Name:
    Lew
    Current Bike:
    2015 Intense Tracer Pro Carbon
    I was in your country back in the 80's as a strapping young lad. Was in Cambridge for 2 months doing contractor field service work at Marshall's of Cambridge (British Airways Sunset III mod), and have actually been to Stratford-Upon-Avon. Thanks for sharing the pictures and please, keep them coming.

herzalot and DangerDirtyD like this.
  13. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    UUUhh maybe!