I rode my bike today... special edition!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by BonsaiNut, Oct 25, 2016.

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    whiting-ride.jpg Normally this post wouldn't warrant it's own thread, but it is a special day for me! I headed out to do my "7 Hills of Whiting" ride (3000 feet of climbing from hitting EVERY hill in the park) when I found out that they had closed my normal parking spot down by Saddleback Church. Bummer.

So scratching Edison Trail (and some elevation) off my list, I headed to the official Whiting Ranch parking lot, paid my $3, and headed out...

To climb Dreaded Hill, crisp and clean, for the first time EVAR! I've been up that hill tons of times, but today with the cool temps, tacky soil, the stars being aligned, feeling some MOJO from Mike, no mountains lions dropping from tree limbs, I made it up to the top without a dab, a pause, a bobble. To paraphrase one of my favorite quotes from my son "I set a new BonsaiNut World Record!"

After that, Vista Lookout was just an afterthought. Up Mustard, down Cactus Hill / Sleepy Hollow, Up Whiting Road, down Cactus Hill, Up Vulture View, down and out via Serrano…

Sadly only 2425 feet. Had I been able to tack on my elevation south of Glenn Ranch Road, it would have been an even 3000. But still… Dreaded Hill has been a nemesis of mine for a long time…

whit1.jpg

whit2.jpg

Fresh tracks to both Dreaded and Vista. Come on, peeps! One day of rain and everyone stays home?!

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    The loop around for Line Shack would have added some elevation.

Also, at the intersection of Whiting Rd and Concourse, there is a road that goes right....it's about 1 mile and gains about 350'. It is an out and back as it just dead ends into a powerline tower.

You can also add in the drop down to the Water Tower instead of making the switchback to go up to the bench.

You can do it.

3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Dreaded Hill is a bear! Nice job...

I used to give it a go once per month, but haven't tried it since switching to the single speed. I'd either break the chain or me on that bottom third...

There is only one climb around here that's worse... The full Oso climb in Caspers, which gets almost no traffic.

4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Maybe one day I will knit them all together. I have tried to create a "loop" where I climb as many hills as possible, while not hitting the same trail twice (as much as possible). Riding an out and back to an electrical pylon in the middle of a field (aka Edison Trail) doesn't make me happy. Riding an out and back to a rarely visited hill in the park with a great view (the 2nd highest by a mere 21') makes me VERY happy. So I hit the tallest peak, the 2nd tallest, the 3rd tallest, etc. I climb the 3rd tallest twice - just because I can via different routes.

To be honest... Whiting is looking a little scraggly. I know it is a combination of the time of the year and the drought, but it is looking very sad. Plus - not sure how they get away with this - but it seems like they LOVE the bulldozers in Whiting Ranch. For a "wilderness park" they don't seem happy unless all trails are 15' wide and bulldozed semi-annually.

5. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    At some level I think it is amusing that... the #1 and #2 hills in the park... and very few people visit them. 90% of riders in Whiting do the lazy loop. The park has so much more to offer.

SnakeCharmer, pperrelle and Mikie like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Yet....you do Harding out and back on a regular basis? o_O

Edison Trail, yes is an out and back...but it gets very little traffic, and you forget you are in Whiting. Plus it give you a different view of the canyon.

SnakeCharmer, Mikie and kioti like this.
  7. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    I need to explore Whitting more. I zoom thru on my way to the luge and jump back in back to the car. Not sure I have ever explored it.

8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Congrats on the Dreaded Hill victory! Sounds . . . Delightful?

SnakeCharmer and herzalot like this.
  9. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I agree, Edison trail is like being in the eye of a hurricane. Quiet and peaceful, with activity all around. The trail is different on the way back, and the descent down to Whiting Road is a blast. And you can hit it after blazing down Dreaded or Whiting Roads, if you like fire road descents. Under-rated and seldom ridden, which is probably why I like it.

SnakeCharmer, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  10. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    My favorite is the ride up to Vista Overlook. Never a soul there... alone and by yourself on the 2nd highest peak in the park. ...and there's a picnic table in shade! Every time I get there I feel I could take a nap on that picnic table, sleep an hour, and I would wake up and not a soul would have been there.

SnakeCharmer and Mikie like this.
  11. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2003 Giant Rainier
    What parking area was closed?

SnakeCharmer likes this.
  12. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    This one on Aliso Trail. I usually park here when I do Whiting. (1) It's free. (2) You take Edison trail over to Whiting and it has some nice up and down along the way, plus adds a couple of miles to your ride.

parking.jpg

13. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Harding has a completely different feel for me. First, it's in the National Forest, so not a house to be seen. Second, they might run a bulldozer through there once a year to clear rock-slides, but then they don't touch it. Most of the way (particularly above the springs) there is a single line of bike traveled path, and the rest is loose and undisturbed. In many sections, you have weeds growing in the middle of the trail. And the views can't be beat - it is one big panorama the entire ride up until you make the final turn around the back towards Four Corners. Plus, there are many days during the week where I can do an out and back... and not see another soul. 18 miles of biking nirvana in the mountains (with 3300 feet of climbing). It's not Trabuco or Joplin or Holy Jim, but it is a fast, easy way to get in the miles and the exercise without the crowds. Oh and lest I forget - the elevation helps a ton on hot days when other lower elevation trails will have you cooking.

I will say however that I did the first half of my ride in Whiting yesterday without encountering anyone. Up and over Dreaded, down Mustard - not a soul. I was wondering if they had the front gate closed for some reason. I finally bumped into a group of bikers taking a break where the trail turns up towards Cow Pond (though I left them behind in 50 yards when I turned towards Vista Overlook). But hey! On the way back I actually surprised three deer on Mustard as I was climbing to Four Corners, which was kinda cool.

14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    By the way, the normal route for many bikers through Whiting (what I call "the lazy loop") is 6.8 miles and 730'. My route yesterday was 11.2 miles and 2425'. My full "7 hills of Whiting" ride is 15.0 miles and 3000'. You can definitely do the miles in Whiting if you put together the right route.

whiting_climber1.jpg

tfitz, SnakeCharmer, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Add in #8 for a couple hundred feet.

Add in #9 for a couple hundred feet.

Add is #10 for several hundred feet.

Chances are you will see no one on these trails, and it is very likely that you could push your climbing closer to 4500-5000'

whiting_climber1.jpg

16. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I've done 9 and 10. 10 I actually enjoy but it makes me sad when you hit the gate and have to turn around. Plus the trail is so seldomly ridden that there can be some sections of tough going because you are breaking a new line the whole way. There isn't really a hill there... more like some ups and downs as you do a traverse across the shoulders of some hills. Some nice views there.

17. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    Closed permanently, or temporarily? I sometimes use that lot to ride the bike trail with the road bike.

Mikie likes this.
  18. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I think just temporarily. They need that one lane access road to get to the vehicle lot about 150 yards to the West (just north of the trail). There looked at be some big branches down - and though they didn't block the road they may have wanted to get a truck in there to clean things up.

Mikie likes this.