I "Road" My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Grego, Oct 29, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    100% so! I don't even mind the cars, as they're going pretty slow around me on these downtown errands.

Today's errands revolved around riding over to get beer and Mexican food!
    IMG_20190608_151946_487.jpg 20190608_123854-1.jpg

2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Is it time for another beer cruise yet?!?!

I'm asking for @doublewide .

3. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Now that I'm getting the spouse in on this, I have less need for you guys!

4. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    I road my bike today and I liked it :oops:
    Mt Gleason from Acton. For not being a fan of road riding, this was a fantastic route with beautiful canyon roads and minimal cars:thumbsup: In fact the top section is closed to vehicles, win-win!

F556803B-9988-42D1-BC61-2D32F84AEFC9.jpeg

6032D2CC-089E-4BC3-986E-DE8E9B16467E.jpeg

ACFD17BC-BE5E-4292-A355-1BBF5B7BEF29.jpeg

5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    This place is pretty cool to ride too...

20170715_085816.jpg

20170718_102535.jpg

ricke24, Cyclotourist, bvader and 7 others like this.
  6. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Love those forested rides:thumbsup:

7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    During our ride yesterday my buddy Tony said he was doing a century this morning for recovery. WTF? For recovery? After a major bonk I was not sure I wanted to do 100 miles. Of course I set my alarm for 4:30am just in case and when I woke up I decided why not? Simi Valley to Santa Clarita and back. Our initial plans were to go up to Bear Divide off Sand Canyon but realized that was much more than a century and by the time we got to Santa Clarita it was already 95°! At that point we changed the route and headed towards home. We were both glad we decided to cut it "short". It was a nice recovery spin.

20190701_153208.jpg IMG_20190701_152427_665.jpg

ricke24, Cyclotourist, bvader and 8 others like this.
  8. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Geez man..a RECOVERY ride?!?!:gotnothing::eek:

ricke24, mtnbikej, Voodoo Tom and 3 others like this.
  9. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Those are the best! :thumbsup::laugh:

ricke24, UPSed, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    You are a sick human being...:sick: o_O

ricke24, mtnbikej, Voodoo Tom and 3 others like this.
  11. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Masochistic perhaps;)
    Although I think some of us are masochists to some degree:whistling:

mtnbikej, DangerDirtyD, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  12. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    I still need to do a century ride!
    Maybe we can put something together for the skinny tire imtbtrails peeps!

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    I'm in!

...in denial, that is.

14. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Where’s the eye rolling emoji?

15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I'll say it again...Cool Breeze Century. There are few better. And it starts in Ventura, just down the road a piece from you. :thumbsup: August 17th.

http://www.cibike.org/information.html

16. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    I’m adding this to my calendar!
    @herzalot you have time to train buttercup :sneaky:
    :D

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    On it!

18. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    I got some motivation to get back on my Road bike. If my Strava stats change and my mileage drastically increases you see why.

20190701_194600.jpg

20190701_194521.jpg

ricke24, Cyclotourist, bvader and 9 others like this.
  19. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    Took the cruisers to the beach, and did about 20 miles on the Marvin Braude trail from Will Rogers to Marina del Rey with my lady. Ate tacos, dodged weirdos, and talked life. Nice little day.

ricke24, Faust29, MrGreedom and 8 others like this.
  20. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Rode the commuter to Target for 196 diapers (yay bungee chords)! Then rode said commuter to Bed, Bath, & Beyond for a sound machine to try and gimmick some sleep for ourselves. 15 miles of urban happy.

21. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    In first year or so of parenting my wife and I referred to the Target run as a Tarcation. It seemed like the only way to get out of the house without cashing in a hall pass.

22. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Had to burn some calories this morning in preparation for this afternoon's festivities...
    strava3766502284928526245.jpg

23. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Dropped Truck off at dealer for oil change and rode commuter bike home. On way home, I encountered a roadie on a carbon Felt with matching kit trying to patch a tube. I stopped to help out and counted six patches on said tube already.:eek: He didn’t have a spare tube, and it turns out his pump is broken, and my tubes are 26x1.5, so no help there. He barely spoke English but knew enough to express appreciation when I flagged down some roadies riding in opposite direction who were gracious enough to offer a spare tube gratis while citing karma and reciprocation when they were offered a few dollars for the gear. Back to the amigo...he was using a paint can opener to pry his tire off the rim, :confused: but at least his kit matched his rig! We both commented on at least half a dozen pendejos who just rode past us without asking if we needed help or offering SAG during our ordeal.:rolleyes: I left him with a plastic tire lever and a handshake. Yay hooligans!

ricke24, Faust29, herzalot and 11 others like this.
  24. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Paying it forward!

ricke24, Faust29, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  25. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    I knew there were some good hearted Chicken Nuggets out there:)
    Nice work Mr :thumbsup:

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    REPRESENT!!!!

:thumbsup: :cool:

27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    1 lap around Central Park today with my two girls. Forgot to take pictures, and no STRAVA, so I can’t prove anything. 90 degrees. 5 miles? 80’ of climbing? No blackouts tonight, so we got that going for us.

Which is nice.

28. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Mtb in the shop so had a chance to get the Roady out today for the first time in almost a year. Good ride, cars considerate, Roady's I passed and that passed me were, well, typical roady..... :gotnothing:. In the last mile while riding Santiago Canyon saw probably 25 Mtb all together heading the way of the Luge. Something is/was going on.
    Was really glad to get out on the Road bike though, gave me a good chance to sit and spin, think and enjoy some alone time. maybe 65 deg at the start, and 75 deg at the end, absolutely perfect! Started STRAVA a little into the ride, so I got about 37 mi and 1950'. A perfect amount of road for me, as the boredom of the asphalt was starting to creep in.
    Think I might go again tomorrow..:rolleyes:...

On a side note, my tires are bright blue, so pretty sure I look the dork. :cool: But hey, they are Conti 4000's and given to me new for free. The person that gave them didn't like the blue, I didn't care! :thumbsup:

29. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    Nugget Proflex 657
    Have had a raft of things happen lately which has made me cross anything offroad related of the list. Local routes are all overgrown with a mixture of stinging nettle and blackberry, attempting to ride on them leaves you returning home looking like you've popped out for a spot of flagellation. We welcomed a new little one into the world three weeks ago so getting in the car and going somewhere decent is definitely of the cards. Oh and Chain Reaction have absolutely screwed me on a warranty claim which has left me with a non operating Whyte for the foreseeable future.

The solution..... bust out the retro roadie :D:rolleyes:

Been pounding round the local lanes on it for the last few weeks and whilst its nowhere near as fun as going offroad it hasn't been as soul destroying as I remember it being. I have a few local loops I can do which has me out in the countryside about 5 minutes after leaving the house. I'm always genuinely surprised how friendly the other roadies are round here, all but the most hard core TdF types will return a wave or greeting.

Todays ride was a touch under 38 miles and typical of the area pretty flat with only 1600ft of elevation. Managed an avg speed of 19.8 mph. Its a pretty nice ride though. I head out of my city and down the road to a place called Kenilworth, do a lap of the local abbey fields past the castle (not my photo btw)
    kenilworth-garden-hero.jpg
    From there I cut across to a little village called Stoneleigh which is that super quaint English village everyone imagines, thatch roofed houses, a stream through the middle etc etc. From Stoneleigh I drop south through farms which are mostly in some sort of crop right now, harvest is just starting so tractors and combine harvesters are out in abundance. Then I start heading back towards home. Hunningham has the Red Lion pub right by the local stream which always tempts me to stop and have a cold frothie, beer garden out the back is always bustling at this time of year. Through Bubbenhall (its another super quaint village) and back into the farms. One of the coolest roads I end up on for a very small portion is the Fosse Way, its an old Roman road thats nearly dead straight for 182 miles of its 230 mile length.
    IMG_0575.jpg
    Have to say the retro roadie has been quite fun to build, the bike was a very neglected columbus steel framed Peugeot Competition I bought from a local stoner for a pittance. Threw some carbon forks on it after I couldn't save the originals and gave it a new 105 groupset. Probably could have got something much better for the money I've ended up spending on this but I find a strange satisfaction from passing others on their flashy carbon everything featherweight machines.

30. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley V4 & DV9
    Very cool. The wife and I did a 3 day cycling tour through the Cotswolds two years ago. The riding there was fantastic. We're actually heading back over to the UK next month, but only spending a couple of days in London and probably Oxford with the rest of the trip being in Belgium. We thought about trying to squeeze in a cycling day back in the Cotswolds but couldn't fit it in. :(

Want to donate to imtbtrails?