I Need A New Saddle...

Discussion in 'Saddles' started by SnakeCharmer, Feb 26, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hey, old man...Er, little bro :unsure::bang::cautious:

My low back and hips get more solid with more riding, (problem back for decades), and cycling helps keep the muscles toned around the problem disks. Hips, though…they seem like they need periodic stretching, especially the IT bands, no matter what. Any knee or hip pain, and I go for the IT band stretches. If nothing else, it’s a cheap and convenient way to potential relief. A good IT band sesh...will make you feel almost like puking. You can feel the hip joint literally opening up. They're huge...

itband_605.jpg

Good stretches are all over the www.

Back stuff is trickier, but my guess is your back might be compensating for tight IT band(s) and related alignments. The more I work at a desk, the worse it can be. Light stretching, ice and some kind of de-compression can work wonders. I've done all that on my own with good results. During my worst back issues I used PT, which included heat, ultrasound/analgesic gel, electro-stim, massage, ice. Light indoor climbing can be really good (decompression, light stretching and twisting). I came back from bedridden for a week by using the aforementioned.

I hope you get some relief...that stuff is torture, and it affects all ages. Good luck! :)

2. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Or just go see a chiro in a strip mall, I’m sure they would suggest only 86 times a week at first. :geek:

herzalot, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    LOL!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

4. Ride age appropriate trails instead of what you are riding, switch to a 27.5+ bike, Use a gel saddle cover, switch to ergonomic grips with bar ends. That is all :)

5. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I can totally relate. My right hip and lower back are a mess.
    It is never an issue on the bike, but I know something is off.
    My focus is off the bike stuff (stretching, ect). maybe I need to look at my saddle.
    I got a few bikes I'm rotating through.....I don't think it is the saddle shape. Maybe more of an overall fit issue.

........I'll just try spending more time off the saddle (standing).

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I hate you... :mad: :stop: :(

And I mean that in the kindest possible way. :confused:

7. Before you take my advice, i need to follow you on stair steps, i have not tried it in years.

herzalot likes this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I need to get my entry to the waterfall dialed. I take the less-direct right line for some reason. If I were to go direct, I can't decide whether to huck into it or roll it. I need to see a few riders and commit to a tactic. I have no problem with the Car Wreck huck, or the Ash Hill huck (although it's been a while on that one).

9. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Stairsteps huck is harder than either of those imo.

herzalot likes this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Hmmmm, then roll? I've seen a few do so without any hesitation. It doesn't look rollable to me, but I know it is. Gary @sir crashalot rolls it on his 27.5 super slack Blindside. I've also noticed a slight wall-hugging line on the far left, but that feels a little like pushing the trail out.

11. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    My buddy Rolls it too. Nuts!

herzalot likes this.
  12. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Let's know when the waterfall session is I'll come over and join. I am still rolling right, think mini Huck try is in order to left.

I am lucky my back issues are pretty straightforward do my core exercises
    ..I am good ...don't do them not good.

Also it turns out riding a bike is mostly bad for your posture as it typically rounds your back.and shoulders forward/ inward (excaberated by poor position). To counter it, core plus back and shoulders AKA pulling exercises are needed.

IT band on foam roller .. it hurts so good

Finally huh ... Rocket V is 130 now?

herzalot and littlewave like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?