I DIDN'T Ride My Bike Today, Cuzz....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Voodoo Tom, Sep 6, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Because I had to deal with tech issues at home. But tomorrow...

Mikie, jaime and Voodoo Tom like this.
  2. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    You rode UP Radford?

Respect.

That has got to be an ugly task to say the least.

3. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    I think Harding Truck Trail is much easier but yeah, it wasn't fun. I did enjoy the views when I wasn't looking down struggling to keep a straight line from being bounced from the golfball+ size rocks and sh*t. o_O

herzalot, Grego, LLPoolJ and 4 others like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Now, this sounds like fun in a pain-filled sort of way...
    :thumbsup:

5. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I believed the stupid weather report in re: rain. I didn't ride. It didn't rain. Blecccch!!!:(

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Raining hard in Laguna right now. Ooops, now it stopped. Wait, now it started again... During our remodel, we decided to add gutters, based on predictions for an El Nino winter. Glad we did. We also added AC. Glad we did, given that the number of days when it tops 90* at the beach has increased dramatically in the past five years.

Ooops, off topic. Well, the year-long remodel is a large part of my patented "suitcase of excuses" for not riding (and for not traveling, and for not buying a bike, etc).

Faust29, Cisco Roots, Danimal and 3 others like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Duh......rain. :cry:

Then again, OC Parks has not said whether Oaks is closed or not. :sleep:

Maybe I should go for a ride. :whistling:

Mikie, Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  8. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    I rode the last 2 days, but before that I didn't ride since I tend to ride weekdays starting from 4:30 PM until sunset, and it gets dark so soon lately. I tend to get more productive around this time for some reason. Really miss the long days.

Ever since I learned proper eyesight, night riding feels kind of backwards to me and needlessly dangerous (also develops bad riding habits). Still have trauma from crashing at a spot, relying on memorization of the trail, but discovering it was recently altered. Wheel got jammed in a hole, I went over the bar, and my chest landed on a rock, knocking the wind out of me.

Mikie likes this.
  9. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    They have these amazing inventions called "lights." Use them, and don't overdrive them. Just like in a car, you should not be going faster than your lights allow you to react.:devilish:

And I didn't ride today because I got up too late to do so. Dang.

Voodoo Tom and Mikie like this.
  10. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    The place I crashed was a 3' tall boulder that you can ride up and roll the other side, with a few rocks on the backside that acts as a transition. It used to be more of a rock garden. Someone rearranged it to be more of a narrow ramp. My wheel missed the ramp, and went straight down... handlebar lights are useless in that case, and you'd need to pause at the top to get the helmet light to shine down. Another spot, someone turned a roller into a drop, taking the dirt to shape a kicker on the take off. I managed to eject off the bike there, since I knew something was up.

You can only perceive so much and the light just makes everything not in the center of illumination is just unrecognizable, including shadows cast from your own body, due to someone behind you with a bright light. Pretty hard to gauge depth too... there are some boulders I decided to roll over straight and center, and bashed the chainrings really hard. I couldn't gauage how big of a bunnyhop I needed to clear it.

When I was a noob, I was actually riding better at night, since I was often looking further than in front of my tire to where my lights were aimed, but now that I've advanced, it just makes me a worse rider, a portable light doesn't exist that would allow me to scan anywhere as well as I could during the day. I have the Magicshine 880 and 872, which are extremely powerful lights.

11. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Just shows you to never rely on memory; trail conditions, trail alterations is a common occurrence.

Glad you didn't break anything....

rojomas, Mikie, GregMiester and 2 others like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I didn't ride today, because my main ride is getting some new parts. :)

13. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB140 LR
    Yup like Faust^^ gettn some work done on my rig....unfortunately don't have a back up ride[emoji22] ....yet

14. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    2014 Giant XTC Advanced 2
    My mountain bike is down for the count still, waiting on a wheel.

I got home from work today and looked at the road bike hanging in the garage, and hanging in the garage is where it stayed. Decided playing fetch with my dog would be more enjoyable. :poop:

15. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    I asked to much of my legs earlier this week and they are barking at me, need to rest them for the Enduro and XC races this weekend.

16. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I haven't ridden in 9 days because I was traveling and too busy catching up at work this week. Seeking redemption tomorrow morning though!

17. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Because I don't have a bike :(
    but later in the day I'm buying/picking up the Reing... along with some goodies.... Will post pics soon !!

18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I didn't ride my bike today, but she is ready to rock and roll tomorrow... And no more front derailleur!

I consider this the first step in curing my derailleur addiction. :thumbsup:

IMG_5094.jpg

MCB2K, Oaken, GregMiester and 6 others like this.
  19. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Drank the 1X Kool-Aid, I see:geek:. You must ride large, and report back on the differences.:thumbsup: And is that a Wolftooth 42T on the back???

Faust29 and Voodoo Tom like this.
  20. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Was going to ride my bike this morning till I heard some BS about me loving my bike more than the family(ouch that hurt)... So we decided to beat the the heat, get up early and go for a hike before it gets too hot (hmmm if we hurry maybe I can sneak in a ride...). Well we didn't get to hiking early enough so no ride for me but the hike was still fun. We got a little exercise, there was a crash(wife tripped on a rock & tried to cushion the fall by landing on her iphone screen which didn't go so well).
    IMG_2901.jpg

So she gets up dusts herself off and as we were hiking along she about jumped out of her shoes and claims to have seen a snizard (you know a snake with two front legs) zip across the trail in front of us(sorry not fast enough for a pic of this mystery creature). Then we came across some folks riding their bikes(well half a bike anyways).
    IMG_2887.jpg

Yep unicycles with fat tires, disc brakes and suspension seatposts (these people are plain bat Sh!t crazy ass nuts). Full body armor is absolutely required to ride one of these and I even got someone to stop so I could snap a picture.
    IMG_2890.jpg

So the person that stopped turns out to be a lady and I don't care she totally deserves the big balls award for the day. I wish I would have been fast enough to video this cause these people have some serious skills. The pictures don't do any justice for the terrain they were riding these death traps over. So the rest of the hike was uneventful and it totaled about 4 miles which Rusty seemed content with.
    IMG_2898.jpg

And I learned that not only are bikes fun but so is spending time with the family...
    IMG_2894.jpg

21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I drank the Kool-Aid... I've been thinking about it since I bought the bike last fall. I'm sure Mtnbikej will say the 42 in back is a crutch, but I still consider myself fat and handicapped, anyway. :confused: By this time next year, there may be a single speed hanging in the garage, but baby steps for now!

mtnbikej and Runs with Scissors like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

Ok... This is the best non-ride ride report on the forum!

And, I can empathize with the broken phone... My wife was testing her new "bath caddy" last weekend. iPhone 5 and iPad mini did not survive the maiden voyage to the bottom of the tub! These gizmos aint cheap! :bang:

23. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Electronics and water. Not a good combo. And I totally agree about the non-ride report being the best.

herzalot, Faust29 and Voodoo Tom like this.
  24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    1x10 is a gateway drug.....before you know it, you will drop the rear derailluer and just go 1x1.:thumbsup:

Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Spent the day with the wife instead, so I can do the rides I want to do tomorrow and the near future.:thumbsup:

ridinrox, Faust29, jaime and 4 others like this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    ...I rode a fairly flat foam and glass object instead...

Danimal, ridinrox, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  27. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    I didn't ride today because was too hot and decided to pimp out my ride instead... along with some 805's..

28. rojomas

rojomas Member

Name:
    Oxx
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Intense Tracer 275
    You're absolutely right! Yesterday was the first time I've been to Summit in a year. Like usual, I take it easy on the first run to warm up and to make sure nothing's changed. I get to the ladder drop, last year there was a run out ramp on the back side of it but this year it was gone. Good thing my buddy warned me because I was just going to back side it. He told me that is where a rider died earlier this year, I can totally see how.

I didn't ride today because it's TOO DAMN HOT!! and I gotta go to work...:(

Runs with Scissors and ridinrox like this.
  29. ridinrox

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    I'm glad I'm no longer a wife - I hate the idea that my husband feels "obligated" to spend time w me or his house projects.

Not knocking the married life but I'm diggin the freedom I have now!!

Suckers.....:p

Luis and Runs with Scissors like this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Longboard, Trail 5. 2' waves, warm water, mid tide, no wind. One other person in the water. I was right - man my ribcage hurt from yesterday. I caught like 15 waves in an hour (I consider it a good session if I catch 6 in an hour). Oops, see, I am comparing one session to another. Next thing we will have is a STRAVA for surfing - measures waves caught, length of ride in seconds, length in distance travelled, waves ridden-per-hour, # of turns per wave, relative speed, wave height, comparison to your previous sessions, comparisons to other surfers at the same break and internet based competitions and leaderboards.

Dare to dream!

HBkites and Runs with Scissors like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?