I did 10,000 feet yesterday. Bucket list goal achieved!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Im Livin the Dream, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Im Livin the Dream

Im Livin the Dream Member

Name:
    Ben Norman
    Current Bike:
    Jet 9 RDO
    At Rocky Peak in Simi Valley.

2. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    In one ride? Impressive :coffee:

3. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ Well-Known Member

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    Nice work

Tom the Bomb, UPSed, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    A worthy goal, and one not easy to achieve. Congrats.

Of course, Stravagraphic evidence is needed. :whistling:

Tom the Bomb, UPSed, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Ive never done that one but I hear its brutal.

Tom the Bomb, UPSed, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Awesome goal...

And I’m curious... Were you able to hit the 10k mark on your first try? I ask, because I may have had a couple bailout rides on my way to 10k. :whistling: :oops:

They get a little easier after the first... just a little.

7. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    WHATTT?!?! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

UPSed, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  8. Im Livin the Dream

Name:
    Ben Norman
    Current Bike:
    Jet 9 RDO
    [​IMG]Hopefully, the image shows up. I am not much of a regular forum user so here goes.

35066275_1963725400313055_7431146393995051008_o.jpg

9. Im Livin the Dream

Name:
    Ben Norman
    Current Bike:
    Jet 9 RDO
    So I guess replies just add at the bottom of the thread and not on each person's comment so one reply to rule them all lol.

Luis: Yes in one ride.

Runs with Scissors, image uploaded above. I agree, must have proof. When my Garmin was getting low on battery I felt a sense of urgency to get it done before I ran out of juice in both my Garmin and my legs.

Snake Charmer, it was brutal but weirdly enough not as nasty as I would've guessed. I just had a really good day.

Faust29, THis was my first actual attempt at it. I did not set out to do 10k this day. We set out to do a 40/7500' day so I knew it was a big day. Never thought until we were heading back to the vehicles that 10k was achievable for me yet. When I saw I had 8200" at the end of the ride and I felt good still I knew today was the day to get it done. The most I had ever done in one ride I believe was about 8400' again on the MTB. If you would've asked me before the ride if I could do 10k I would have said nope without hesitation. I have been wanting to do it for a few months now. I do not know how I pulled it off because I didn't train for it specifically. I do like epic long rides but don't do as many as one would think I should to be able to pull this together. I surprised myself honestly this day but I'm super stoked to have achieved something that seemed a bit farther down the road. I also want to do Leadville in under 9 hours but that is a much further goal. Just completing Leadville would be another bucket list item. I am looking at 2019 for that, hopefully.

Oh, and it got hot hot hot! I ran out of water at one point and had to ride about 10 minutes (felt like 30) to a nearby park for more water before hitting the vehicles to finish the scheduled part of the ride. I believe that was the hottest part of the day too, of course, right.

I ate about 2000 calories between 8 bottles of water, 3 honey stinger gels, and a Clif bar.

Thanks for the congrats too. I am actually feeling great today too. It's like being in bizarro land lol. I expected to feel utterly destroyed but I feel like I only put about 4k on my legs. Is that crazy or what?

10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    10k elevation gain will make you feel bizarre, yes. :gag::geek:

And good luck on your Leadville training and attempt. :thumbsup:

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Watch out.....you just stepped out onto a very slippery slope. You now know you can do it.....so now you will want to do it more often. It becomes a sickness. However, I don't speak from experience. :whistling:

12. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    You are ready for the WW50. 12k is not that much more!

13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Hey @Voodoo Tom
    Bout time you came back! Sheesh!
    Ben is a member of the Pedal Mulisha out in the Antelope Valley (These guys hurt me...:thumbsup:)

Congrats on the 10k!

@Voodoo Tom and I did that in a ride out in Ojai once . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . once!
    Ouch that day hurt!

Post up more dood! Don't be such a stranger, and get an avatar dammit before a certain moderator supplies one for you...:whistling:

:thumbsup:Mikie

14. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Occasionally... :whistling: There are some rides posted on here that may interest you.

Lots of longer rides in the Santa Ana’s... lots of fire road type stuff with some great single tracks thrown in- just not at the ratio that most enjoy.

@HBkites mentions the Wrightwood 50. My Garmin has read between 10k and 11k the two times I’ve done it. Lots of absolutely epic riding at elevation. Usually in late October. There are ride reports on the forum. If it’s on again this year, several of us will be there.

Old&InTheWay, Mikie, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  15. Im Livin the Dream

Name:
    Ben Norman
    Current Bike:
    Jet 9 RDO
    @HBkites Sweet! I have heard of that one but before this, I had never entertained the idea of actually attempting it. That's changed. I'll be looking for it. I am doing the Grizzly 100 this year , Sept 29th so that would be great to throw in after it.

@Mikie Avatar, check! I'll be checking here for rides and such. You know my riding has progressed so now I am progressing my ability to find MORE rides and by MORE I mean bigger badder MORE epic rides. This seems like a great place to do that. #nextlevel lol.

@Faust29 I do not mind FR and I do not have a formula for FR to ST ratio to go ride my bike, thankfully I never learned that disability but I do understand it. ;) I just enjoy riding my bike and challenging myself to new and different levels.

Thanks for the welcome to the forum. Seems like I may have found a happy place. :)

konakc, Old&InTheWay, Danimal and 7 others like this.
  16. Im Livin the Dream

Name:
    Ben Norman
    Current Bike:
    Jet 9 RDO
    Hey is there a website for the WW50? I googled it but it only came back with trail forks route from last year (also how to you download the route to follow on the Garmin? I didn't see a .tcx or .gpx file or option to D/L) and nothing for the info on it for this year.

HBkites, Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  17. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Umm Voodoo Tom didn't ride 10K yesterday... But he worked a 10hr day and rode to & from:Roflmao...May need a small edit there @Mikie.

Yeah that hurt, thanks for the reminder.

Mikie, UPSed, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  18. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    I’ve done 10K in a day 100’s of times. They were all on ski lifts, gondolas or in an automobile but still....my goal was to do 100K in one day Heli-boarding in Canada but that never materialized.

19. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    The Wrightwood 50 is an unofficial ride... "hosted" by a Wrightwood local. No support, no trail markings, no charge! He has a page on Facebook, but usually only puts out the info and the signup page a week or two before the ride.

The ride report thread from our first year: http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/wrightwood-50-the-butt-kicker.5199/

Year 2: http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/wrightwood-50-2017-edition.6642/

20. Chevrolegs

Chevrolegs Member

Name:
    Steven
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    You sir, are an animal! Congrats!

21. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why Cycles S7
    Look it up on facebook...
    By the end of summer, a list of interested participants will be formed, and the info sent via email.

BTW, I'm not sure I'm up to it this year (I'll know @ the end of Sept.). It was a hard ride.

Mikie, Faust29, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  22. Im Livin the Dream

Name:
    Ben Norman
    Current Bike:
    Jet 9 RDO
    Thank you sir, I'll check those out. Is it the same course every year? Also since there's no support do you do a drop bag somewhere or something similar to that or carry it all with you? We had looped back to our parking spot so I was able to refuel that way.

Mikie, Faust29 and UPSed like this.
  23. Im Livin the Dream

Name:
    Ben Norman
    Current Bike:
    Jet 9 RDO
    Ok will do.

Mikie likes this.
  24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Carry what you need.....water is available at different campgrounds and local spigots.

Mikie, Faust29, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  25. Im Livin the Dream

Name:
    Ben Norman
    Current Bike:
    Jet 9 RDO
    Ok I found the Facebook group and requested to join. Now I just hope the scheduling works out.

Mikie, Faust29 and UPSed like this.
  26. Im Livin the Dream

Name:
    Ben Norman
    Current Bike:
    Jet 9 RDO
    Ok thanks!

Mikie likes this.
  27. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Nice to see you made it back to the forum. Great ride yesterday, wish I could have finished with you but I definitely did not want to climb Rocky Peak again in the heat. Congrats on your 10k. I may be headed that way on Thursday.

28. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Nice one @Ben Mean Green :thumbsup:
    Interesting route you took. I'll logon to STRAVA to see in what direction you headed. :geek:
    I've been in a lot of sections of Rocky Peak but never thought about hammering out a 10K elevation ride :eek:

29. Im Livin the Dream

Name:
    Ben Norman
    Current Bike:
    Jet 9 RDO
    Then you would have really not liked this lol! I not only went back up and over then back to the bottom but I was at 10,023 and I was not about to let Strava short me like it does at times and ruin it for me so I went back up again but only to the second climb then turned around and finished with 10,100+.

@Luis Send sounds good. For the record, I never would've thought that was the place I would do it if @UPSed and this Tony fella had not planned this big arse ride out there. My feet hurt the worst...still.

herzalot, mtnbikej, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  30. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Any good pics of Rocky Peak trail??

Im Livin the Dream and Mikie like this.