I crashed...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 45acpguy, Jul 3, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer Enduro
    Got the new G2 RSC brakes installed, along with bumping up to a 200mm front rotor and a 180 rear. The stopping power sure gave me a false sense of security, lol. Headed up to Tapia yesterday and came bombing down Kona. Front wheel washed out from underneath me and took a good tumble. Unfortunately, my knees took the brunt of the damage. I’ve have knee problems for some time now, looks like I’m going to have to pad up once my skin grows back :thumbsup:

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    No damn good! Heal up quickly.

Pads are a good idea. Take care out there.

3. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer Enduro
    Mike, can you recommend some good pads? Anything out there with good, breathable materials?

mountaingirl sara and Mikie like this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I have loved my Poc VPD Air knees. Not the cheapest, maybe not the coolest, but easy to wear on the calves when not needed and durable as anything. Small and light with reasonable protection. I’ve found one gets what one pays for with pads.

I’ve used the Poc elbows, but I prefer GForm elbows for the convenience factor, super small and light. Minimal protection as you’d expect.

5. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    ixs Flow Evo +.

6. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Bummer on the crash but easy to understand as Tapia is really dry and loose now and Kona has several blown out corners . Pads are tough to get used to and everyone has a preference. Assuming you’re local to SCV I’d suggest stopping by Incycle (gulp I can’t believe I just said that) and trying a few pairs on while dressed in your normal riding kit.

7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I wear the minimalist style Fox pads when I feel the need to wear pads at all. Slip-on, minimalist cushion. Can be worn all day.

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @45acpguy Sorry to hear about your skin donation and bruises.

There are hundreds of knee pads on the market, and very few riders will agree on the "best" or most comfortable pads. Trying them on is probably the best idea, but not sure how keen bike shops are right now to let you do that. And for God's sake, if you try them on at a store and like them, don't put them back and buy them online. They deserve a few nickels for your convenience.

Popular pads include Troy Lee, Race Face, POC, iXS, 7iDP, Alpinestars, Leatt, G-Form, etc etc Good luck on the hunt!

9. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Sorry about the skin loss glad that was about it.

Another big plus on IXS Flow super comfy and they work :) I have tested.

10. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    All XLNT points right there by mr @herzalot ^^^^ I don't wear them myself but based purely on my observations, it seems the G Form stuff outsells everything else combined. I have 7iDP (wear on park days only so maybe 5 days a year), 661 (10 years old and falling apart but the most comfy...haven't worn them since getting 7iDP stuff)) and lightweight iXS knee pads in my garage at the moment. Like @Voodoo Tom stated, they are hard to get used to (especially on pedally trails) in my opinion so I rarely deal with them. My knees have been paying the price since I started walking :notworthy:

11. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I just picked up some g form knee and elbow pads. First time trying then this morning. Knee pads around my calves on the climb, and I put the elbows in my pack until the descent.

They stayed in place well going down. El P was a good test. Lots of little drops and rough stuff, and punchy climbs. On a hardtail. Didn't even know I had them on.

I ordered off the site (they had a promo going). Followed the guide for sizing and pretty happy with the results so far.

12. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Did you say “riding kit” ? :geek::laugh:

UPSed, Obsidian, mike and 1 other person like this.
  13. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    What an imtbtrails jersey some black shorts and a pair of big balls socks isn’t a real kit...? I’ll let @herzalot be the judge...:Roflmao:rolleyes::gag:

14. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I ordered 5 different sets from JensonUSA 7 years ago and took back the 4 least comfortable sets.

PATKOUG and mountaingirl sara like this.
  15. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Once I started riding triple crown I would never wash out. Now I am on a double crown but have bigger diameter down tubes so the washouts almost never happen. Watching my old bike I saw the washout came from the shock tubes dancing with each other. This is why the triple crown is invincible, but I observed the forks tube diameters and that mitigates washouts almost as well. Almost
    Happy rapid descents

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  16. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Haha, I thought only roadies used the term “Kit” that’s all ;)

17. NinjaDon

NinjaDon Member

Name:
    Don
    Current Bike:
    2018 Honzo
    I have the Dainese Trail Skins 2 on when climbing & descending. Light & comfortable for all day pedaling, but minimal protection. I wouldn't use them at the bike park though.

18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yes. Black shorts (not lycra) and any jersey - well almost any - will do nicely. IMTB blue and black jersey? Can't beat that. Big balls socks? If you have to claim it, then maybe it's not....

never mind. :whistling:

Voodoo Tom and DangerDirtyD like this.