Hydration Systems

Discussion in 'Hydration Systems' started by Mikie, Sep 9, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    My $0.02: If you haven't checked out hydration packs for a while, you could assume that you don't know much about the current models as many are changing and evolving fairly often. I have had several packs over the years from various companies, more Camelbaks than any others though. They (CB) currently have different iterations of a single model. Some have nicer features, and others are a more stripped down version of a particular model. Things like, NV back supports, magnetic hose clips, and insulated hoses might be included on the higher tier models. In other words, all current MULE packs are not necessarily equal.

The current CB bladders have been pretty nice to use. The baffle and current 'lid' make them pretty user friendly.

I only use water in my bladders so I don't have any issues with odd growths occurring.

Something I have learned from working in a shop the past couple years is that everybody has different things they like and dislike about many cycling related products, and hydration packs are considered a very personal choice as to what works for a particular rider. A pack may have a lot going for it, but have that one tiny deal breaker feature that you just might find impossible (or at least annoying to some degree) to live with.

Several nice packs mentioned already. Leatt made some packs for a while that I have seen a few riders really like. If you see one still in a store, I would give it a look. especially smaller riders. The ones I have seen didn't fit Sasquatches like myself too well.

You can save money ordering online, but there is a risk that you may not get the best pack for you. Just depends on your individual tolerance for risk as well as your ability to adapt if you get something that doesn't appear to initially suit you. I see a fair number of people come in thinking they will likely be buying one pack, and end up with something different.

2. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    REI's 20% off coupon works great for cycling packs. :)

DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I have an off brand..."Outdoor Products" and I can't remember the model name if there is one, and it's not stated on the product itself. I've had it for probably 3 years, and used it as a hydration pack maybe once. 100 ounces for the bladder I think. It's great for carrying my stuff for my commute to work and back home. Mucho pockets for tools, etc.

I've discovered that I need less water than is prescribed by the "experts." For example, climbing B* to the golf ball land, over to Sierra Peak, and back down I'll use one small bottle unless it's ungodly hot like lately, and then I don't ride that anyway. If just warmer, say up to about 85 degrees, I'll put two bottles on the bike. But I don't drink anywhere near what everyone recommends.

Danmtchl, Danimal and Mikie like this.
  4. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Just did an epic San Gabes ride today in the heat. I used a High Sierra fanny pack I recently purchased. The pack carried 2 24 oz (.7L each) and another 24 oz bottle on my bike.
    I had plenty of water especially after a refill on top of Mt Wilson.
    The pack stayed put and never dropped a bottle. I was able to carry 2 tubes, assorted tools, food, phone......basically just about everything I usually need, without shoulder straps.

5. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Name:
    AKA:Alan
    Another vote here for Wingnut, been using it for a few years now and I prefer the way it sits low. Camelbak has some new models coming out that have the same effect.

6. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Rode with mybrother today and he had an osprey pack. Looked pretty nice with a system that keeps the pack off your back! It holds about 120 oz, has a little helmet holder that fits between the vents in your helmet . The bite valve is held in a convenient location, magnetically. I would look into one if I ever needed a new one.

7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    That's 100% how I bought mine.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  8. wc_surveyor

wc_surveyor Member

Name:
    Dean
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem SX
    Another vote for the Osprey Raptor 14. I really like the quality, comfort, and the unique features that it has, such as, the helmet holder, the magnet that holds the bite valve, and the strap retainers (so the loose strap ends don't flap around. The internal pockets are well designed. It includes 2 long and narrow pockets, one for a mini pump and the other for a shock pump. The bladder is the best that I have used. Very well constructed and easy to clean. The newest model has a separate tool pouch and zippers on the hip belt pockets which I wish I had.

Danimal, Mikie, Cougar and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mule, great pack.

Danimal, BonsaiNut and Mikie like this.
  10. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I've been rolling with the Camelback M.U.L.E. NV for 5 years now, and love it. May be a little big for shorter rides, but after being caught ONCE in CNF without enough water, I will never make the same mistake again.

Voodoo Tom and Mikie like this.
  11. verdugist

verdugist Guest

Camelbak MULE NV 2014 closeout (green) $67 from REI, a steal and no longer available. Was a major upgrade compared to my Outdoor Products Ripcord (don't get this one: the water bladder is inferior quality, mainly mouthpiece was horrible and wouldn't draw water easily, and the straps would consistently cut/scratch my arms when I put on the pack). The MULE has a rain guard which is nice and plenty of zippers/pockets/compartments to store stuff. Size is decent for me. I've heard very good things about the Osprey packs (esp. Raptor) and in case of defect/damage they will replace them for free due to the lifetime warranty.

Bottom line: you get what you pay for so stick with Camelbak or Osprey.

Mikie likes this.
  12. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    Osprey Syncro here... suspended mesh panel works a treat, awesome bladder/bite valve w/ magnetic.

DangerDirtyD, Voodoo Tom and Mikie like this.
  13. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Camelback Mule is old and tired and stinky and dirty. Just bought an Osprey 14 for longer slogs. Great fit. Good quality. Smart pockets that you can access while pedaling. Going back to bottles for rides where I will be able to fill every two hours or so. Just bought an Osprey 10 for my friend for his BD. I liked the Osprey reviews and the Troy Lee shop in Laguna carries them. I try to buy all my stuff from the local Laguna shops, so tat was a deciding factor.

14. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
  15. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I've been using Source bladders for years. Pretty much indestructible and have a lifetime warranty. It is impossible for it to leak when closed unlike Camelback bladders that can cross-thread or not be fully screwed on. Plus it is easy to put ice in it, or a beer can, and easy to clean as well. I use a Camelback hose with it, not a fan of the cap that comes standard. Check them out... They used to come with Deuter packs.

http://sourceoutdoor.com/en/source-reservoirs/129-ultimate-hydration-system.html

ultimate-hydration-system.jpg

For packs I use an Osprey Manta. 4 years and still going strong. Love it...

Prior to that I had the Wingnut Hyper 3.0. I liked it - awesome capacity and very light, but it fell apart on me after ~18mos.

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  16. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard

Looks cool. Seems to be a very similar design to the Hydrapak but twice the price. I do like the easy cleaning design. I hate cleaning CamelBak bladders and never feel like they ever really get clean either.

I had a Wingnut and really liked its fit as well. But it fell apart on me too and I hated that it had strap or loop inside to hang a bladder.

Mikie likes this.
  17. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Platypus makes some good bags. Lots of options. Easy to clean. Good warranty.

Mikie, Erik H and Runs with Scissors like this.
  18. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    Nice @rossage.. I didn't realize Platypus was still at it.. their new Big Zip looks great.. I like how it designed wider to spread out on your back and not so thin. I might give that one a try. $27 on Amazon. The "zip lock" closure concerns me a bit but it might be worth a try. I'll either go for that one or the Hydrapak.

Mikie and rossage like this.
  19. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    The Osprey bladder has a stiff spine so that it's not just a shapeless bag. And the refill cap is quite large for cleaning.

Mikie likes this.
  20. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I ended up purchasing the Camelbak Volt 13. I really like it. I have never had a more comfortable pack. carries 100 oz of water all stored in the bottom. I thought it was going to be a real pain to fill/refill the bladder, but it really has not been a challenge. This model has way more space than my Lobos or my Mule, (but not nearly as my Hawg!)

As far as cleaning the bladder, I have NEVER had to. I buy food grade hydrogen peroxide and periodically use an eye dropper to apply 12-14 drops of H202 into 100 ounces of water in my CB bladder. I consume the H202 while I ride which only adds oxygen to my blood stream. Trust me, I've written on this in the past. It's a win/win situation and my Camelbak bladder is always squeaky clean!
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

21. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
    I went with the Platypus Big Zip. I like it so far, the zip is easy to use and I really like the clear bladder. So much easier to see the contents and how clean/dirty it is compared to the blue Camelbak material I'm used to. The drinking valve is taking a bit of getting used to though, as I had a hard time getting it to flow well at first. Just a different design than the Camelbak and Osprey ones I have and requires a slightly different technique.

abuck55 and Mikie like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I've always wanted to try carrying my water lower, but honestly, I couldn't stand the look or the feel of the Wingnut. I may have to give this one a try. Thanks for posting!

Mikie likes this.
  23. abuck55

abuck55 Member

Name:
    Mark
    I just bought a Acre Pack (The Hauser 14L)
    I saw Eric H - MWBA had one on the San Gabes ride a few weeks ago and I had to have one!
    It's a bit pricey at $215.00 without a blader but it is by far the best pack I have ever owned. American made. Water proof. 3- different adjustments at the waist for a perfect fit. My favorite feature is the roll-out tool back.
    Check them out at: Acre-Supply.Com

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

herzalot, Erik H, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I am replying to my own post. I bought the Camelback Volt 13, and I like it. My back issues have not magically disappeared, but after some five rides or so with it, it's a little better on my chronic back issues.

Contrary to some reviews, I definitely like it better downhill! The cinch straps that are made to keep the lumbar water reservoir snug to your body work wonders at securing the load when the going gets steep and rough. Compared to my Dakine Nomad or my Osprey Zealot, the Volt doesn't ride up or move around at all going down hill, and the lower center of gravity is mo' funner.

The reviews say the pack isn't very tough, and the bottom and sides wear out quickly. Given that it appears that they wanted to make the lightest 100 oz pack ever, I can see where the pack is vulnerable to premature wear on the bottom and sides.

That Acre Hauser looks cooler though! :thumbsup: And I am certain it is quite a bit tougher.

Mikie and abuck55 like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:

Oops, I meant this one above ^^^

Mikie and abuck55 like this.