Hydration Systems

Discussion in 'Hydration Systems' started by Mikie, Sep 9, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I like Hydration Packs. I just do.
    Not only do they carry all my junk, there has been a few occasions where going over the bars and doing a complete flip on to my back when hitting the ground was more like landing on a water bed.
    Dooooooooood, that was so kewl!

But my Camelbak is wore out. I have two. The Lobos (the wore out one) which I have used 98% of the time and the Hawg which to be honest is just too big.

So I am looking for a new hydration pack. It needs to be slightly bigger than the Lobos.

If you are Hydro Pack wearer... Which one are you sold on?

2. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    2014 Giant XTC Advanced 2
    I use bottles when I can now but I've been using the Camelbak Mule for the last few years. Lots of pockets and compartments... It may be a little smaller than the hawg( I don't recall) but it has plenty of space. Hand pump, tube, tools, chain repair stuff, rotor bolts, foods, wallet and keys... I'd carry out all in there with room to spare!

siata94, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  3. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I use the Mule also. I'm not that persnickety about packs as long as they will hold all my stuff, and this one does, plus it expands enough that I can get extra stuff in it when needed like knee pads, windbreaker, trash found on the trail, etc....

BTW, I did a ride a month or so ago without a pack, first time in a long time. It felt weird, not bad, but I did think about not having spine protection, esp when the guy in front of me went OTB and we were all saying how his pack saved him from something much worse. I also realized the shop I rented the bike from gave me a seatbag with a tube and multitool, but no pump or co2:( Luckily I didn't need it and was riding with others that had all the stuff anyway. Funny how we get used to something and our "safety blankets"...

rojomas, Faust29, GregMiester and 3 others like this.
  4. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I also need a new hydration pack. I've used a mule and recently have been using a dakine model (forgot the name). I think I'm going to try out the new camelbak skyline when it comes out in a month or so. I've been itching to try one of the low bladder placement packs for a while and the new skyline has some features I think are going to be pretty cool.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/06/26...ider-and-palos-hydration-equipped-fanny-pack/

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I switch between two - the Dakine Nomad and the Osprey Zealot. The Dakine has the most functional compartments in the business that I've seen, and it's about the same size as the CBack Mule. The Zealot seems to distribute weight better for my back problems, and it's easier to use the "hip" pockets while wearing the pack. The Zealot has no internal compartments - just one big space. It does have a separate tool bag and a separate place at the bottom of the pack for the tool bag. Both have been durable.

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  6. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I have an old Mule w/ bladder that is in great shape up for grabs if any of you in need want a freebie.

I just switched from Camelbak Mule to Osprey Raptor 14. The Mule worked fine and held all my stuff no problemo. Just had to be a bit strategic to get it all to fit nicely. And, changing the water has kinda a hassle. The Osprey pack has room to spare for all my trail adventures. The water bladder is a breeze to deal with. And, the separate tool pouch at the bottom w/ removable sleeve is icing on the cake.

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I use a Wingnut Hyper 3.0. It holds a lot of gear, has large side pockets, and it sits low on my back.
    Even the big manufacturers are making lumbar packs that sit lower and tend to move around less.
    After 8 years I am finally looking at getting a new one.
    Lightweight, durable, and functional. Everything you need in a pack. It even has an emergency whistle! Toot toot!

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  8. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I've only ever had the one; the Osprey Raptor 10, and it has become the gold standard to which I'll compare everything else with. Not only is the pack got room for everything I need, I love the hip pockets. Additionally, I've had excellent customer service with them as well. When I first got mine, I ended up biting through the bite nozzle sleeve which made for interesting/leaky affairs while riding. I emailed customer service about getting a replacement, and they emailed me two replacement bite sleeves without being charged a dime for it.

That's the type of customer service that converts you for life.

Faust29, Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  9. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I hate hydration packs, they bug the crap outta me! But like Ross said they are starting to place the bladder lower on your back which would help the issue I have with them. I really like the looks and design of this one, but sadly it is not available in the US at this time. I call BS!!

be1_enduro_protect_black_001_640.png

10. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    +1 for the Osprey Raptor 14. Pretty nice size, good organizing, and the "quick" pockets on the belt are nice for carrying a couple bars that are handy without taking the pack off.

I have several Osprey packs, and the quality is very good. I've never used their customer service, but I've heard it's top notch. They are a Colorado company also, which for me is bonus.

Mikie and Redman like this.
  11. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Craig
    I used to wear packs all the time, but last couple of years I've only use them for big rides. personally I like not wearing those sweat generating, shoulder aggravating packs. I've gone through many different packs: unnamed ones, camelback, wing nut & osprey. I find the osprey imo the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Faust29, Daddy Dirtbag, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  12. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    I don't like wearing packs either but I realized I stopped challenging myself on step-ups bc of the fear of falling backwards w no pack to protect my back (I've fallen backwards many times).

Hmmm, maybe I should start wearing them again? I feel so much freer not wearing them, like going commando... :thumbsup:

Oaken, Faust29, LLPoolJ and 5 others like this.
  13. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I use the Mule NV. I needed something big enough for days when I ride to work that let me pack a lunch and some extra clothes in addition to the basic necessities(holds a bunch when you let out the expansion straps). For basic ½ day rides it’s probably overkill. The NV has articulating pucks that hold the pack about 1” off your back and are supposed to improve airflow but I still get major sweaty back. Also when fully loaded up it sticks out from your back too far and can flop from side to side a bit but only when it’s stuffed full. As far as back protection it must work pretty good cause I've landed on it quite a few times(offers zero protection for busting up your ribs though). If we ride together soon your welcome to check/try it out(hint hint...).

I was in Sports Chalet killing time over the weekend and looked at a bunch of packs. The Osprey packs are definitely nice. The storage and tool compartments are well designed and the packs just seem to fit nicely on your back but it’s hard to tell without it being loaded up. I had my eyes on the Osprey syncro & raptor packs.

Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  14. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    After a few road rides a few years ago I got used to not having a pack on my back. I started carrying my tools in a seat bag and was able to carry 3-4 water bottles with a water cage and my jersey pocket. Great for long distance fire road rides but not so much for chunky downhill. Of course I still wear a pack when I am in unfamiliar territory or a long ways from home. Right now I switch between a Mule and a Mule NV. I have always liked Camelbaks however their bladders are a pain. They are tough to install when they are full. I have heard nothing but good about the Osprey and will probably demo one soon. Only need one for hydration, tube and a multitool. Thinking of going with their 70 ounce pack and carrying a water bottle for the longer rides.

15. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    The race cut IMTB jersey will have 3 pockets for bottles on back. I carry spares the same way. And a saddle bag carries the rest. I tend to overheat with my CB on, especially on days like today.

UPSed and Mikie like this.
  16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    My issue with "hydration packs" is the bladder you're forced to buy with certain packs.

I will not use anything but Platypus bladders, and have used them exclusively for 20 years. They resist funk growth, are durable, easily backed up with a secondary "bladder," use a standard cap from a 2l soda bottle, come in various capacities, and are guaranteed for life (I've gotten replacements with no questions whatsoever). I recently bought a new 3l Platy, the one with the cap offset to the side for bladder duty. Don't care for
    the Platy bite valve, but NBD since the hose kit is optional. I use a Cbak bite valve.

So that leaves me with selecting a pack that doesn't include a bladder.

My 18l (pack volume, not bladder cap.) REI Stoke pack has been the most useful year-round. Osprey Talon 22l is good when I've desired more capacity.

My Wingnut Adventure pack at 27l is massive and has worked great as a bikepacking component. I like many things about it, and a few I don't: the one-piece shoulder strap is not contoured effectively and is not comfortable off the bike. The construction seems on the weak side. I will probably still pony up for a smaller size eventually; the concept and, for the most part, execution is great.

Most packs are pretty featured these days with cool mesh backs, hose ports and keeper options. Try a few on, esp if you have a weird body type like mine (short torso).

An externally-accessed tool pouch is one thing I wish for. I think Osprey Raptor has that covered.

If you can barely fit all your stuff in, you probably have a light set up. But for ease of accessing contents, less crushing of snacks and more crash protection, having a little more capacity than needed is good, and may ride more comfortably. I do both, depending on the outing.

rossage, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  17. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Mikie likes this.
  18. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Name:
    Dan Eitman
    Current Bike:
    Trek Superfly FS
    I switch between three, as I only have one water bottle cage and a full 24oz bottle in a jersey pocket moves around quite a bit. Behind the seatpost hasn't worked well for me either...unless I strap it in with multiple bungie cords.

1. Camelbak Octane LR-70 oz capacity, lumbar-style reservoir, minimal storage. Perfect for longer races and 3-4 hour rides where you don't need to pack the kitchen sink and aren't going out forever. Hip zipper pockets. Its marketed as a running pack, but the wider hip belt keeps it pretty stable. I'd say its my go-to for VQ, CC, Grizzly 100, and similar races where you're not doing laps to build up the endurance miles. 5+ years old.

2. Camelbak Volt 13LR-100 oz capacity in a lumbar-style reservoir, fairly good storage in a couple of different compartments makes it easy to keep things separate and organized. Useful for longer rides where water isn't readily available. It was my go-to pack for all-day rides. Now its my 'tweener pack for long fire-road days. 3+ years old. At this point, I'll add a shock-pump, carry (3) tubes, add a first-aid kit, SPOT, and emergency mylar blanket to my standard tool/tube/CO2-pump kit. Plenty of room for a jacket, vest, arm/leg warmers, and armor can be strapped to the exterior. The overall carrying capacity is divided up into 3-4 smaller pockets, so a packrat will have to make some decisions.

3. My newest, and favorite, Camelbak KUDU 18-100 oz reservoir in the standard shape, but with the integrated back protector. I opted for the 18 as I thought the 12 would basically do the same as my #2. It'll carry the full trailboss setup for trail maintenance (Rogue Rake, Axe/Mattock, and McLeod attachments) and nothing moves while riding. For whatever reason, it keeps the reservoir more insulated than the others...packing the 100oz with ice and then filling it up with water will keep it cold for 3 hours...long enough to have some ice left to refill it with fresh water for another couple hours of water. Integrated rain fly, a bunch of options for strapping and carrying things like pads and helmets. If I did enduro, this would be the race-day pack. But since I'm getting older, its also the pack I use on all-day trips in El Moro, the Santa Anas, dropping the full-length of SART, and that all-day cyclocross epic in Denali. The back protector can be removed, but I've also found that it helps the pack act like a lightweight, flexible frame for day-hiking. I've had it since it became available, and really like it.

For all three, if you're going to ride in weather where the tube might freeze up, I swap out the insulated tube from my snowboard pack...does the trick nicely. I've literally beaten the snot out of all of them, and aside from customizing some tube lengths and how they attach to the straps for access on the Octane and Volt, I've had very little to complain about.

I've never had a problem with any reservoir getting funky. As long as you keep the contents water and make sure it dries out if you're not going to use it on back-to-back days, nothing should grow. And if it does, their cleaning tabs do the trick.

In any case, for anyone looking at a pack for the first time, wherever you buy it should allow you to load it up to its max capacity so you can make sure it fits/moves/doesn't move appropriately.

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Don't listen to me....I am so not a hydration pack expert. I only own one because every so often I actually have to use one. :gag:

This used to not be the case....but have always stayed with Camelbak. MULE/HAWG/MULE

Now I have a Camelbak Capo. Only own it because I won it at a raffle, and at that it is easily 5 years old. Works for when I need it, but I don't use it as it was intended. Flap for Full Face helmet and armor goes to waste on me. :ninja:

Everything is internal....not really any external pockets....save for the mesh one where one would normall put the FF helmet. Items tend to fall out of that section. Back panel has the raised pads to aid in air flow...but it always feels hot. Shoulder straps are comfortable....but I still don't like them.

Plenty of storage inside for a couple of tubes, pump, shock pump, jacket, zip ties, tape, bug net. Small storage is great for multi tool, knife, levers, patch kit, tongue depressors, caliper shim, keys, wallet.

The bladder works just fine....then again, I am still using the same bladder I have had for the last 6-7 years. It goes into the fridge after each use...never cleaned, never any funk, never any science projects....then again, water only. :sick: :thumbsup:

Like I said, I hate wearing a pack...but sometimes, you just have to. I don't want to invest a new pack with better bells and whistles for the 2-4 times a year I use it.

So for what it is, it works....does it do it well? That is up for debate.

20. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I switch it up pretty often. I used hydration packs a lot when I was riding and racing dirt bikes, so I probably have 10 in the garage for different purposes. I mainly use my CB Mule NV for longer rides, or rides where I know I'll be drinking a lot. I also have a smaller Fox pack with a 70l bladder, and not much storage for rides where I need water, but don't need to carry the kitchen sink. For shorter rides, I go with a Jandd seat bag and a 24 oz water bottle or 2(depending on the bike). If I were to use a pack all of the time, it would be the Mule NV hands down. Plenty of storage, good fit, tension straps to keep everything snug and it's easy to get the bladder in and out. The NV back panel works pretty well for airflow, but I still get sweaty back.

NV_180_3.png

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  21. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Things I liked better about the Camelbak Charge LR over the Osprey Raptor 10:
    - less than half the weight, empty
    - soft airy back padding that created an air channel between pack and back, with a channel for spine
    - straps were softer, and excess strap lengths were tamed
    - next-to-body material glided better on my clothes
    - weight was better distributed and didn't cause instability when throwing my weight around, didn't feel a need to take it off if I went climbing on top of rocks or whatever
    - had large secure hip/wing pockets

Things the Osprey Raptor 10 did better:
    - material toughness extra strong, including bladder
    - much better craftsmanship on the pack construction
    - more appealing looks
    - nicer organization of storage area

The bad and ugly:
    - the Camelbak Charge LR busted on me. Bladder burst at a seam and the elastic overflow pouch got snagged and tore. Physical damage such as tears not covered under "guarantee"
    - the Osprey next-to-body material caused abrasion damage on my jerseys
    - the hard stiff back of Osprey rubbed on the spinal protrusions of my bony back
    - the Osprey excess strap lengths are annoying to tame.
    - 2L/70oz LR bladder needs suction at the bite valve to deliver fluids. Needs constant squeezes at the reservoir, even if the bite valve is lower than the bladder, if needed for irrigating wounds
    - Camelbak LR pack somewhat tall on my short torso, if I actually had it resting on my lumbar. Can't undo a shoulder strap and swing around to the front and access the contents easily, since it's so tall.

Before these two, I used a Deuter Race EXP Air. Might just get another one... only thing that has changed on it really is that it's less ugly. Only tried the others since they got excellent reviews, but they only revealed how solid the Deuter was. :D

Mikie, UPSed and MnMDan like this.
  22. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have used mostly Camelback's and currently use a Mule. I every so often buy a different brand. I have used Deuter, Fly and Osprey. I noticed a lot of people used an Osprey, and I noticed that my Osprey with just water, weighed more than my Camelback full of gear and water.

I personally like Camelback bladders, the parts are readily available and are easy to clean.

23. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I currently use the MULE, find it fits the description listed above and works just fine.
    I'm glad the Camelback KUDU was mentioned. I've thought about buying one, but have yet to see it in person. With a couple experiences where the
    Camelback acted as a cushion, figure the added protection would be nice. MnMDan, thanks for the review on it, I'll probably pick one up next time the CB needs to be replaced.

There is another option for packs and protection, the EVOC. Heard good things about them, but never seen one;
    http://www.evocusa.com/collections/fr-protector-hydration-backpacks

Started a thread on the KUDU some months ago;
    http://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/camelbak-with-a-twist.1903/

Mikie, Faust29 and MnMDan like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Going commando leads to some pretty low hanging artillery... (see Trail 6 for evidence - shudder)

But I agree - it feels so much better riding without a pack!

25. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    A friend of mine has an EVOC and swears by it. We thought about becoming a dealer for them but people just don't know about them. So when customers start asking we will try to be dealer.

Mikie and GregMiester like this.
  26. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Point of Order... the Osprey Raptor has been through 2 design iterations... the newest one is quite a bit different than the 1st generation. The waist and shoulder straps now have "keepers" on them to manage the extra strap length. The drinking tube now routes through a cleverly designed zipper pocket, that runs from in front of the right shoulder all the way to the left side of the packs water storage compartment.

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  27. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    I have an EVOC saddle bag I'm very happy with. They have some nice looking products after looking at that website. I think it's just a matter of exposure and availability and people will likely opt for their products. I happened to find EVOC by doing a Google image search for saddle bags.

Danmtchl likes this.
  28. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Generally, I don't like drinking form hydration packs. I find it hard to keep track of how much I'm drinking during the ride.
    The fear of running out of water causes me to drink less then I should, and most times I end up with a semi full bladder at the end of the ride.

Now a days, If I do ride with a pack, I just use it to store the extra water bottle. That way I know exactly how much water I have left, and drink accordingly.

Some riders can tell (how much water they have left) by the wight of the pack. I have that fear of trying to drink out of the tube and realizing I'm out of water.

29. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I have a Mule and a smaller CB model (forget name). I usually just use the small one as I don't need a bunch of stuff, but occasionally use the Mule and like it a lot as well.
    But wow, when did the prices on these things go so high???? $150 for many of them, that's crazy talk!

Faust29, Mikie and GregMiester like this.
  30. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    The Mule is definitely smaller than the Hawg. The Hawg is great for high school students who don't have lockers.

I'm not sure how much stuff you lug around, but I'm typically the only guy on my group rides that has all the tools to save my non-pack wearing friends.

jaime, Mikie and MCB2K like this.