Hurkey Creek in Idyllwild....

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtbMike, May 7, 2018.

1. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    I know many of you live way up North so Hurkey Creek would be too far for a day trip but there are several camping options where you can ride from camp for this system. Prior to a forest fire in 2013, this was maybe my favorite day trip in SoCal. It's been a long haul but it's finally coming back online. Some of the best stuff actually didn't burn but it was difficult to link up with other great trails. Now you can start doing that again. A few areas have become sandy and NEED some moisture and riders to start coming back. Other trails the closed prior to the fire (Exfoliator) have been approved to be re-opened and they've already built some new stuff that we rode today....some very nice, twisty singletrack and the *finally* started using the rock feature as parts of their trails, a very nice addition. If you've ridden there before, GET BACK OUT THERE and help blaze in those trails. For those that haven't ever been out that way, there's also Thomas Mountain (essentially an 8 mile fire road climb with a bomber single track descent) and The Hub Trails aka Alvin Meadows up the road in Idyllwild proper. There is more than enough trails to keep you busy for a 3-4 day weekend. All with forest riding and minimal hikers....as in usually zero based on my experience.

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/480799/27352576/1480182062670/MVTP+Draft+Decision+Notice+MAP.pdf?token=kCMVL644aButKiz/QczZjQEphpE=

P9VrI+ubRpGU1ivKsG+2dg.jpg

chaos, Faust29, luskie and 18 others like this.
  2. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion Well-Known Member

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Just booked a spot at Hurkey last week. It's been a long time since I've been out on the trails behind Hurkey creek so I'm pretty excited. If I were in better shape I'd probably join the Hub for their Saturday ride but last time I did that I was in good shape and they were still hauling.

3. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Because of the newer stuff that's been re-opened, it was actually more fun to spin around and check everything out. As we dumped out on Bonita Vista Rd off of Snakeskin, we saw some brand new trail off to the right so we circled back up May Valley 1/2 mile and found it's an "extension" off of Tres Hombres Uno. We used to climb that up to Snakeskin but this time took it DOWN at a new split and it was blast. Maybe not high speed enough but that will keep people in control. They built in 2-3 ten to 12 foot rock faces (easy rollers but still) into the trail. We then went back out Bonita Vista to Tres Hombres Dos which was our first time since the fire and it needs to be ridden but was EASY to follow. If you enjoy rock features/obstacles, I highly recommend it. It then smooths out the last 1/2 mile into swoopy berms before dumping you back on the road. You can then double back thru the valley to the campground or continue on to Missing Link and the old 24 hour race course to make a 15 mile loop.

4. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer T275c
    Great to see those trails coming back. Back in the day the STR gang had a weekend campout in April every year, was always a incredible few days of riding. May have to venture up there soon.

5. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg

I read on Mtbr that the Hub closed down. You might want to check to see if they are still coordinating rides.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/california-socal/hub-cyclery-idyllwild-closed-when-why-1070121.html

I rode Hurkey last week for the first time ever with some friends. It was amazing and yes, it looks like they are building or rebuilding a bunch of new stuff. There certainly seemed to be trails all over the place.

Cyclotourist, herzalot and pperrelle like this.
  6. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    Sounds like someone needs to organize a group ride.

Cyclotourist and DangerDirtyD like this.
  7. SoCal_Rider

SoCal_Rider Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Sounds like I need to go check out Hurkey again. Last summer I did a ride there and was hugely disappointed. Erosion, sand, brush, and closed trails.

Hurkey used to be my go to out of town ride, so I know it well. It made me sad to see the state it was in. The Hub trails just offer more bang for the buck now.

8. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    There's still some sand issues in the last 2-3 miles (that last about 1/2 mike) To be honest, I blasted thru them on the 29er better than my buddy on his 27.5 who also wasn't going near as fast. We didn't go up and do Logpile (the stuff on the left side of May Valley Rd) this time but it *looks* like it may be rideable on Trailforks. The Tres Hombres stuff was in great condition as was Snakeskin overall.

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    What is this "STR" of which you speak? :whistling:

10. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    You will likely see some hikers out there these days. PCT is still partly closed above Hurkey so thru-hikers are coming down Apple Canyon Rd. I saw around twenty thru-hikers when I rode Hurkey a few weeks ago. Some are hitchhiking from the campground to Idyllwild and others are hiking up the Hurkey Creek trails. I think they are going up Exfoliator, then some stay on May Valley Rd and others go up Southridge. I don't think they'll go on any of the side trails as those aren't on their maps and aren't signed. But definitely keep an eye out if you shuttle Southridge or ride Exfoliator.

Logpile is good to go.

Mirkwood (#30), Meadow Tr (#29), Secret (#26) aren't even visible on the ground anymore. Looks like Mirkwood is adopted so that will reopen at some point.

Exfoliator was in really bad shape - massive ruts up top and people are making a mess by riding wherever above the rut. I'd stay off this one until it is worked on. From the map looks like it will be completely rebuilt. Missing Link/Rage/Tunnel of Love are a bit rough, but ridable.

Grindstone (#25) looks like all new construction that is only half done (the west side). Not ready yet. I didn't check out anything off Lower Southridge.

Some of the trails that are not adopted in the trail plan are still there in varying condition. Ride em while you can, I guess.

11. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dennis (AKA Dio)
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9 (26er)
    I haven’t been up there since 2012 when I met Kenney, a fit older gentleman with Zinc on his nose and a Cannondale Jekyll. That man was a beast, and I appreciate his hospitality. If you read this, Kenney, thank you.

12. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    One other thing to consider up in Idyllwild is when it's warm, the flying insects are out. In my opinion, it's 5X worse at The Hub trails (probably due to the longer, grinder climbs) but Hurkey Creek has it's share. Once we cleared Johnson Valley the other day, we had a 5+ mph breeze all day that was a savior. Our group used to ride up there once a month or so from October thru April for the most part. If you want to camp and ride during the Summer, just go early or late after the breezes pick up.

13. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    By chance, I am heading up to a cabin in Idyllwild this weekend with a group of friends for a birthday. It isn't a riding trip, but I was thinking of bringing my bike if the trails are nearby. I'd bring my wife's bike too if there is mellow single track for her to ride.

I think I saw a trail map linked here in the last week or two, I will dig around.

Can anyone suggest:

a) an intermediate 2 hour loop for when I sneak away from the group
    b) a mellow hour ride with the wife
    c) a 3-5 mile hike for the collective group?

Thanks so much!

14. doublewide

doublewide Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    I guess we were pretty lucky, we saw no one on our late Saturday morning ride. Trails were fun, meadow was nice, cow pies were big and the bugs weren't an issue! Oh and the beer was tasty back at our camp!

P.S. We did have to sheet in the woods because the campground is required to shut the water off some time during the day, why they chose to do it on a Saturday morning makes not a lick of sense to me, but who am I???
    Next time, yellow post site for me.

15. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Here's what I posted (see below) on MTBR when a guy asked....if you skip climbing all the way up to do Logpile and just take Lazybonz to Tres Hombres Uno going UP to Snakeskin, it's a 13 mile ride.

You can basically camp right at the bottom of the trail system at Hurkey Creek Park – (v2) RivCoParks.org The trail going right out of the campground is Keen Camp and it is about 1.7 miles up to the road. You'll see the trail continue across the road and it's a fats a flowy mile down to Johnson Meadow to the right (you can only go one way). Follow that about a mile and go back up to the dirt road (FS05...we always called it May Valley Rd but I guess thats not correct) and then start climbing. Make sure you have Trailforks downloaded and you can pick your trails.

Our standard route back in the day was to climb up the road spur on the left (FS21...you can't miss it) for a mile or so until you see a trail off to your left which is the top of Logpile. It's the 1st left AFTER you climb past the gates on the road and clearly visible on Trailforks app. Ride down that which will intersect with the road again, directly across the road (unmarked by obvious on Trailforks yet again) is Lazybonz. Wind your way out on that and go UP Tres Hombres Uno at the Y/split. It's a twisty, windy smooth singletrack that you climb all the way up until it dead ends at Snakeskin. Take Snakeskin down, down, down, down to Bonita Vista Rd (5S05 again) and go left for a bit until you see a turnoff to the right that leads across a creek. Cross that creek, go up the road 200 yards and you'll see the Missing Link Trail straight ahead. You can miss it but if you do....Trailforks. There are a few downed trees to go over or around and just follow that on Rage in the Sage (sandy right now) and then down Tunnel of Love where it will eventually dump you back out on a paved road which is Apple Canyon Rd. Take that to the right is it will take you right to the campground. All told about a 15 mile ride.

The other day, we circled back up May Valley Rd (the 1st road climb) to Lazybonz again and took that back to Tres Hombres Uno but went back DOWN to Bonita Vista Rd again before heading over to the creek. That downhill trail is brand new and super fun. We then added on Tres Hombres Dos. Those two trails added 3 miles as well.

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Your companion was OK with that? :whistling:

17. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    This route seems good for me!

I'm looking at Trailforks and a little lost at the part above, where you head south on Logpile. It doesn't look like it ends at Lazybonz. Do you maybe incorporate Buena Vista to get over to Lazybonz? Although even that doesn't seem to end across from Lazy. Once you're on Lazybonz, I can follow you all the way back to camp!

Cyclotourist likes this.
  18. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    If you take Logpile all the way down it brings you back to the road. Lazybonz (unmarked) is almost right across the road. Just walk over and look for 10-15 seconds and you’ll see it. It goes down/across to the right

Cyclotourist likes this.
  19. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I had a great time! I did most of the route above. I went straight across Logpile exit to Snakeskin and eventually Missing Link and down. It was absolutely gorgeous out, I can't wait to go back (and go camping with the family).

20. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Awesome, glad to hear you had a great time. It's only supposed to be 71 for a high (which means minimal flying gnats if any) up there this weekend so I'm trying to get my friends to go on Saturday. It will probably be in the high 50's/low 60's when I start the 1st climb. We didn't do Logpile last Monday so I'm looking forward to seeing how that has recovered/been re-done. They did such good work on the other stuff.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  21. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    What time you planning on going? Keeping my options open for a ride:thumbsup:

Cyclotourist likes this.
  22. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Not going to happen at all at this point. Too many people out of town, hurt or on call for work. :mad:

23. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    We went back out there today. Logpile was a blast but were you aware you *could* have popped out on to the road, went down about 1/4 mile and picked up Buena Vista? It was great as well. It does have some minor climbs but overall, it has a little more variety than the top section. We then climbed back up to Snakeskin. We found another new trail they are building out there and decided to explore. It's a big ol' loop that goes down for quite a bit and then comes back up almost to where we started in. It's 100% singletrack and very different than anything else out there. While you're looping it, you feel like you're in a canyon and if you would have dropped me there with my eyes closed, I would have never guessed I was on a Hurkey Creek ride. My assumption is it's not officially open yet so I won't put the details out on social media for now.

We then went down and popped in on good ol' Exfoliator. I've heard it's technically open and if so, it's needs some love. It was a still fun with plenty of "obstacles" to pay attention for vs a wide open speed gully/wash like in the old days. It's definitely the quickest and easiest way to get back to the campground once you get to the bottom of Snakeskin.

We had crazy weather. We left Oceanside under a light drizzle and it stayed cloudy until we got above Anza on the 371. It was perfectly sunny but 50 degrees on Apple Canyon Rd by the campground. By the time we climbed up Keen, it was in the low 40's, drizzling and we were in what appeared to by a cloud storm. The plants were soaked and we were as well by the time we got to the meadow but it made for great dirt. Our entire ride of 9 miles and 2400 ft of climbing was in that cold, cloudy mist until we got to within 1/2 mile of the campground at the end where it was still sunny & blue skies.

no worries, herzalot and kioti like this.
  24. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    If I'm looking at the map correctly, Trailforks calls that next bit "Buena Vista". I considered that after upper log pile, but since it had gotten no mention here and I was a bit short on time, I didn't try it. I will next time!

I hope the new trails get added to Trailforks, the app was super useful for a noob like me exploring out there.

mtbMike and doublewide like this.
  25. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    You're right, it is named Buena Vista. I corrected my post. I don't know why I thought otherwise. Thanks. We're going to brave the crowds and go out this Saturday morning.

scan likes this.
  26. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    What time you going up there?

27. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Hope to arrive about 8:15 and be rolling by 8:30. You’re welcome to join us if you’re okay climbing on the slow side as I spin along in no hurry.

28. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Hmmm, I need to leave there by 1pm. Will get back to you

29. chaos

chaos Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Rodel
    Current Bike:
    Turner RFX v4
    Thanks for this post. Will be camping out in Hurkey Creek this weekend. First time to ride this area. It's been on my bucket list for a long time!

30. mtbMike

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer & Primer
    Its not going to be crazy hot but I’d bring some bug spray as they will be out as the days warms up. They are definitely worse on The Hub trails but they exist down at Hurkey as well

chaos likes this.