Hunting season

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mikie Robin Mcguire, Oct 12, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    A quick reminder to our IMTB family, that hunting season is permitted to start tomorrow Saturday October 13th for a month. Please be aware and recommend wearing bright colored jerseys if you plan on mtbiking or hiking in the Angeles National Forest..Thank you ♡ Be safe

FB_IMG_1539380142717.jpg

mike, Mikie, MrGreedom and 13 others like this.
  2. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I hope a certain someone doesn’t decide to dress appropriately for howling at the moon for the next month or so.

Be careful people!

4. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    You are the one with the big ride.

Mikie, MrGreedom, Sidewalk and 3 others like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Time to break out the blaze orange jersey.

@Faust29 should be safe with his new bike color. :thumbsup:

6. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Mikie, MrGreedom, mtnbikej and 8 others like this.
  8. gunga din

gunga din Member

Name:
    steve villmer
    Ran into bow hunters on the Monroe tt last sunday.

Mikie, Danmtchl, SnakeCharmer and 2 others like this.
  9. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    We did see 3 hunters yesterday with scoped rifles on San Jaun.

Mikie, Danmtchl, SnakeCharmer and 2 others like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    We did run into the game warden on his way off the mountain yesterday... So at least the herds of hunters up there know that he's around.

Mikie, Danmtchl, SnakeCharmer and 4 others like this.
  11. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I'll be riding in Durango next week and it's always on my mind out there. Well, hunters and getting eaten by a bear. I see hunters all the time but luckily haven't seen a bear yet...at least not while mountain biking. Almost hit one on my dirt bike once. Not sure who was more scared, me or him?

12. gunga din

gunga din Member

Name:
    steve villmer
    I was told at one time hunter were not aloud below Blue Jay.

Mikie, mtnbikej, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  13. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Ran across about 10 trucks parks ON the Palm Canyon Epic. Saw a few down in a canyon just below there. Another one on the PCE trail itself with his rifle slung. Lots of hunters driving down from Santa Rosa peak while I was riding up.

Made me glad I was wearing my yellow kit. Not super bright, but bright enough (the kit, not my brain).

Mikie, MrGreedom, mtnbikej and 9 others like this.
  14. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    No hunters in the Santa Monicas. My nephew who lives in Southern Washington bagged a small deer in their backyard on opening day.

FB_IMG_1539611597437.jpg

DangerDirtyD, Rumpled, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The CNF page says for hunters to obtain a list of legal access/hunting trails by contacting the local office... I always thought the single tracks were off limits. Maybe I'll give them a call later and see what's legal.

Mikie, kioti, Dirtrider.... and 3 others like this.
  16. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    As we were approaching the Strawberry peak saddle yesterday, a couple of hunters were scrambling up from the brush towards us.
    We started to chit chat and our talk turned into a cost of a Browning rifle versus to cost of a mountain bike. Just then four hikers and their dog appeared from the single track leading to Redbox. Two were just astounded to see hunters and were questioning whether they should be so close to a hiking trail.
    The hikers continued up to strawberry peak and we began to roll. The sounds of the occasional rifle shot echoing from the canyon below us. The next hiker we came across was a lady and her dog who was also startled by the men with rifles. We explained that hunting season started the day before and will continue for a month.
    For once I didn’t feel like the menace some hikers make us out to be :thumbsup::):laugh:
    Imagine how much ground I could cover hunting on my mountain bike though.
    The rifle the hunter was carrying was about $1200 :geek:

Mikie, kioti, Dirtrider.... and 11 others like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That's one thing I'll never get in densely populated heavily trafficked areas... Allowing rifles. I grew up in an area that was far more rural, and 99% of the hunting was shotgun only, including for deer and bear. 22s were allowed for rabbits and squirrel, but that was it. No 300 yard shots to bag a deer. You sat your ass in a frozen tree and waited patiently while the frostbite consumed you. :D

I also got the first day of deer season off from school when I showed my hunting license... Ah, the good old days. Mmmmm... squirrel and rabbit stew. :inlove:

18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife defines the hunt zones; Santa Anas are entirely within Zone D-15. However, areas on the forest open to hunting are defined by USFS. You can hunt on singletrack, but you can't enter closed areas to hunt.

There are numerous restrictions on where you can fire a rifle while hunting. You aren't allowed to shoot from the road, even a dirt road like Main Divide, for instance. And you must be a certain distance from buildings, etc.

Mikie, kioti, Dirtrider.... and 6 others like this.
  19. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    I get the same "but that is sooo expensive for a bike" from my friends.....as they shoulder a $15K Krieghoff at the trap range.

Faust29, Rumpled, Mikie and 10 others like this.
  20. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    We saw a big deer in the wash at the bottom of KenBurton trail saturday. Probably coulda bagged him with a spear!
    I'll bring this next time....
    hunt bike.jpg

OTHRider, Faust29, Rumpled and 7 others like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Saw him again yesterday.....so he was up there both days this weekend.

Faust29, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  22. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    On my ride over to Motorway i saw several hunters in trucks coming down Maple springs below 4 corners. As i was riding about half way to motorway i saw some deer tracks on the main road... i chuckled hoping the deer were sneaky enough to hide in plain sight! :geek:

Faust29, DangerDirtyD, UPSed and 3 others like this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

The deer are smart.....they know the hunters can't shoot them from the road. So they hang out there.

I saw the tracks as well and made the same comment.

24. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Smoke, drink, play cards.....

Faust29, DangerDirtyD, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  25. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    This happened Friday at my house:

This map shows the canyon I live in. The red circle is the easy access to hunting. It's a box canyon and the deer there are like the deer in Yosemite. You can practically hand feed them.
    upload_2018-10-15_10-7-47.png

So what the hunters do is they drive through the community to get to the box canyon of practically hand fed deer and drive up and down that section of dirt road with their barrels practically hanging out of the windows. As much as I don't like it, I prefer that to them parking and walking off the dirt road as they will often fire across the road at a deer on the other side of the canyon. Sheesh! We ride our bikes up there and down for exercise. That's O'Neil Canyon.

But get this... on Friday, I'm working on my dump trailer fixing trailer light issues for next weekends firewood adventure and it is just before dusk when I hear this KA-BOOM! A high powered rifle went off ridiculously close to our house! Some of the neighbors will fire off a round to scare off coyotes so I thought not much about it.
    Cathy comes storming in the shop a few minutes later and says that one of our neighbors just shot a deer in a community driveway less then 50 feet from our other neighbors house. I said, "What?!?!? Are you kidding????"
    She said, yes, "I just talked to Larry." A third neighbor, a retired cop, and whose house was in alignment to receive a stray bullet, walked up to look at what went on and this major fat guy was trying to drag it off the road and put it in to the back of his pick up. This dude is fat, I mean huge fat.
    So Larry calls the cops, we call the cops. The cop comes to our house. We tell him what we heard and saw, his jaw drops and hits his knees (not literally) and says, "Are you kidding me???" Felony discharge of a firearm in a residential area, hunting with a Long Rifle the day prior to hunting season. He says okay and drives up there. Larry jumps in the car with him.
    Saw the blood where the deer was shot, saw the blood drag marks to the vehicle. No hiding it. Turns out the deer was not of legal size to shoot in the first place. Dude is cited and it goes to the District Attorney.
    Law in our part of town is you must be a minimum of 150 yards from any structures prior to firing a gun. Which I still think is too close, but I'll take it!

Voodoo Tom, mtnbikej, kioti and 4 others like this.
  26. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    What a dumbass. That will get him a slap on the hand and a nice fine.

27. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    But it also lets the offender know that people are watching (and noticing)...

28. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ...and ducking for cover...:(

29. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I'd be very surprised if there were anymore shots fired from that GPS location. The offender would prefer to stay out of jail, me thinks.

That is, unless he is flying a gigantic Confederate flag in the bed of his lifted, beat up, rusted 1980s F-150?

30. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Do many of these guys who walk around on the trails actually bag anything? I assume most are looking for deer right? My experience with deer hunting is more in line with what @Faust29 shared.... many of these trails... which I would assume are well known as day hike/multiuse trails... would not seem like the prime choice for go hunting... simply because of the amount of traffic in these areas.

DangerDirtyD, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?