Hunting season in our ANF

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mikie Robin Mcguire, Oct 11, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    To our IMTB family, please be aware .We were notified by our Forest Service. Angeles National Forest. Hunting season is going on from October 10 thru Nov 8th Please be safe Thank you! Hugs

Grego, Voodoo Tom, rossage and 4 others like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thank you for the heads up!
    Bells bells bells! You GOTTA use bells. Who cares if you sound like Santa's sleigh!? And do not, I repeat do not wear that helmet with the antlers on it!
    image.jpeg

Faust29, rojomas, Grego and 5 others like this.
  3. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Does that apply to the CNF as well? We ran across a couple of hunters on Santiago Truck Trail yesterday morning.

Mikie likes this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yes, it does.....

rojomas and Mikie like this.
  5. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Perfect that means the gate at Guffy down into Alpine will be open. Well until the snow starts. Different hunting seasons start and ending at different times. Coyote season is all year round.

6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Yes it is hunting season. Saw two hunters on STT today on their way out. Then when at the flag above the Luge heard a gun shot.
    I've never actually seen a deer on STT, and very little wildlife in general. And I've been there a lot. A mountain lion was spotted on STT a few years ago though.

Point being, there wasting their time in that area. Not much up there, and what little there is deserves to live. In my opinion....

7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I've hunted both CNF and ANF. It is extremely rugged country (news flash to this group, eh?) and the success rate is very low.

Be careful out there and stay on the more established trails. Some of those hunters are straight outta Deer Hunter, if'n y'all ketch ma driff.

Mikie and Grego like this.
  9. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I feed and water the deer literally in my backyard.

Runs with Scissors and herzalot like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Can I come over and shoot one? Sounds like fun! :confused:

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    You sick Bambi killin' bastage! :Roflmao
    I never did "get" that.
    My Dad was a great white hunter.
    I tried it several times. One time I was out with him and we came across a sweet buck. I raised the rifle and concentrated to squeeze the trigger. When I pulled the trigger, looked, and saw that I missed . . . I was relieved. That's when I knew it was not for me.

I come across hunters on Golden Eagle Trail this time of year. Yeah, I pick up their empty beer cans and trash.
    I live in a box canyon right off Interstate 5. There are houses right up to that last 2 miles then National Forest before they run out of road. They have been busted many times driving up and down the road with their rifle barrels stuck out the window. It's like a McDeer's Drive Thru or something!

For the most part (and I know this does not include everybody), but I have very little respect for the "California Game Hunter" who hangs around California to do their hunting. It's like they are hunting in my neighborhood and thinking they are in the wild. Sheesh! :gag:

12. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Just as with mtb, it only takes a very few scumbags to make every participant look bad.

herzalot, mtnbikej and Mikie like this.
  13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Agreed! I am certainly not including the good guys, which I know that there are...

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  14. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    Saw a deer on the top of a hunters truck a few years ago doing the Blackstar Motorway loop. Every once in a while the hunter wins.

Runs with Scissors and Mikie like this.
  15. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Does anyone know what they allow in CNF? Any firearms at all? Or just bows?

Mikie likes this.
  16. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Firearms are allowed in all National Forests, at least here in CA. As long as the hunter haS the proper license and tag, and isn't spotlighting, baiting, or shooting too close to roads or buildings all's fair.

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  17. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Me too! My dad was all into hunting and I just never got it.

Mikie likes this.
  18. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

image.jpg image.jpg Ran into these guys today.

19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    ^^^Awesome. They got a deer just little bigger than a dog^^^

20. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Oh that had to be fun...

21. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Hiked it down from the top with no trail, they came down sort of where we hiked Mikie looking for the trail that one day. Yah, wasn't very big , there smiling cause they got something I guess.

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  22. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    The young, small, ones taste better. Mmmm...venison.

23. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    But that deer is WAY tastier than any dog. I don't care what the Koreans say.

That is at least 3 months of venison steak, sausage, butterflies, etc.

I'ts not only tasty, it's actually good for you.

Mikie and rossage like this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The first day of shotgun season in November was an excused absence from school... I just had to show my hunting license. I was really into it when I was younger, but I don't think I could do it anymore. But, I wouldn't turn down a venison steak, or maybe even a rabbit/squirrel stew... :thumbsup:

That was a shock for the kids when we visited back east one Thanksgiving. I didn't think anything of the deer hanging from trees in front yards, but the kids thought we had gone back in time to the caveman days. You gotta love outdoor refrigeration! The beer is always cold... Except when it's too cold, and it freezes upon opening. ;)

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I went to high school in rural CO, but I was no hunter. I was a skier, skateboarder. Pretty much the first week of rifle season was a school holiday. I accompanied a friend once to try to understand their obsession. Elk season. I enjoyed the adventure aspect of it - loading the truck, finding a campsite, slogging through the hills including some fresh snow, primitive camping, etc. Fortunately, we never actually found any elk. I am pretty sure I would not have enjoyed the killing, gutting and hauling out part.

I have had some awesomely amazing elk roasts and steaks, however. As long as meat comes on a plate and not on the hoof, I can ignore the process of transforming a living beast into my dinner.

26. dstepper

dstepper Member

Name:
    Dean Stepper
    Current Bike:
    2014 Turner Czar
    Packing out a kill like that sucks. As the deer cools down all the ticks and lice start looking for a new home. Surprized that don't have a game bag.

Dean

hill^billy and rossage like this.
  27. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Yah Dean, didn't get a close up shot but that dear was leaking all over the guy :gag: . I stayed up on the mountain for a good while, by the time I got to the bottom was about two hours, they where just loading it into the truck

scottay likes this.
  28. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Near as I can tell from the pictures, they had not field-dressed that deer. They will regret that.

I've heard people complain that venison is "gamy." Well, kids (this is addressed to the stupid hunters, not you mtb-ers), would you throw a steer across your hood for a 5 hour trek out of the woods and drive home so you can have fresh steak? No? Then you probably don't want to do that with an un-gutted deer, either. Or even a gutted one.

The gamy taste is incipient rot. Even carrying a deer for two hours from place of kill to the garage in 80 degree heat is asking for spoiled meat. It's just one reason I don't hunt here in Socal anymore - temps aren't cold enough in season. When I lived in Salt Lake City, it was different. Shoot, gut, field-dress, and it's frozen by the time you get back to the truck.

Oh, and the best place to shoot a deer, an elk, or a moose?

In the back of a pickup truck.:sneaky::)

hill^billy, Voodoo Tom and Mikie like this.
  29. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    As a kid all I can remember is being with my Dad and him field dressing right where the buck dropped. He said it prevent a gamy taste and why carry back to camp the extra weight of what you aren't going to eat.

I got to be honest with you venison always tasted gamy no matter what. I quickly did not like the taste of venison... :oops:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?