Huge and in development

Discussion in 'Bikepacking' started by mike, Mar 17, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    A new route with singletrack as a primary goal: Alaska to Baja via WA/Oregon Timber Trail/CA. Coming to a continent near you!

This will be a big scoping year for the project. It happens to be routing through Downieville/Tahoe, so I’ll have a good chance of getting involved.

Nothing on this scale has been put together for public consumption. Talk about the ride of a lifetime...

Some info is here:

https://www.bikepackingroots.org/orogenesis.html

https://www.instagram.com/orogenesiscollective/

2. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Oh wow.. Quite ambitious undertaking .
    Ride of a lifetime is right! Think it'd be nice if I could ride even part of it when complete.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, mike and 4 others like this.
  3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Like stopping at the Mexico border? Or all the way down to Cabo? Not sure how I'd feel about biking through Mexico... but all the rest sounds awesome!

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3 & FEX
    I hope it goes through So Cal on the coastal half so that I can add the local segment to my riding route collection.

5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Just when I thought I had my retirement bucket list figured out. Bike packing with a backpack and a credit card.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  6. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    What is on our bucket list..?.retire...ride new single track every single day until i cant take it no mo

Danmtchl, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    The chances that I'd ever do something like that (the entire route, anyway) are somewhere between slim and none. And Slim is on vacation.

Danmtchl, mtbMike, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Come on, you only live once. :) Once you get in the groove of living on your bike with re-supplies, you can go indefinitely. All you need is the time off. Hitting it in good conditions could matter. Spend a week or a month on your bike; might as well be 3+ months. One day at a time gets it done. No need to be an athletic prodigy, just make sound decisions and stay on task.

@SnakeCharmer, not sure where it goes down there. Keep you posted. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I get it. I even understand it. This just ain't something I'd be interested in, although I know there are plenty who would. I hope it gets built so those who would, can. It actually makes me think of the girl I saw on the "Ride the Divide" video: "It's so f***ing boring!"

The first few days would be awesome. After that it would be work. I don't want to work on my mtb. :whistling:

10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    That's a fair take.

The GD is a collection of Forest Routes, which might seem redundant to some after 2650 miles. ST-heavy bikepacking routes like the CT and AZT are anything but boring if you like remote experiences on a bike. And if you multiply a route like those a handful of times you'll get something like what is envisioned for this new route. Riding will be nothing at all like the GD.

The first few days of a big job, you will suffer and be plagued with doubt. After that is when you find your groove and it gets relaxed and fun. That's why so may people bail big routes on rock and dirt in the first few days. They don't have the patience to adapt, and adapt you will if you keep pushing ahead. Still, some people are not and never will be cut for something like this, and as it should be.

11. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I couldn’t think of a better partner with whom to smash this! If my wife takes the kids and bails, and my boss gives me a bunch of thousands of dollars, I’m in!

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Not sure, Greg, but I would guess it picks up the existing Baja Divide route down the peninsula.

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  13. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    I’d be in for something like this, especially if the weather was nice-ish:thumbsup:

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Me too! I'm all over this kind of riding - as long as it doesn't exceed 20 miles and doesn't require me to drive too far from home. :confused:

15. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Thanks for posting up Mike.

I spent a lot of time last summer scouting for this project and have a pretty solid route I've recommended from the border at Tecate all the way up to Yosemite for about 800 miles. Nothing is even close to final yet and there are a lot of big and small choices to make between route options based on pros/cons. But a general route through Socal will go up from the border to Cleveland NF toward Idyllwild, down to Banning/Redlands, up SART, then Big Bear, Arrowhead, Wrightwood, Acton, Kernville. Then it might go up west side of Sierras via Camp Nelson or across Kern Plateau and up the east side or Death Valley. There will be lots of forest road and even pavement to connect but the idea is to pick up singletrack whenever possible and where not possible, try to use backcountry forest roads. I found a ton of cool stuff on the scouting trips.

So, no coastal SoCal. But that could always become its own route later. Just need someone who is interested in it to put it together.

I'll post up some teaser pics of stuff I found later.

Walleye, Danmtchl, Redman and 12 others like this.
  16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Excellent!! Thanks for sharing what you’ve done, and for doing the field work.

This will be something very special. I like the sourcing aspect. It really brings local knowledge into the project.

Ride on!

17. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    You can fly to your destination and you don’t have to do more than 20 miles per day if you don’t want to princess...I promise :thumbsup::sneaky:

jimbowho, Stkx66, Danmtchl and 11 others like this.
  18. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    Now THIS... is just another reason why I love this woman! Don't you? Princess? :Roflmao:laugh:

Walleye, jimbowho, Stkx66 and 11 others like this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I like your attitude, Sar :thumbsup: I think most riders would ride in spring S-N to keep in the best conditions. A perk of “vertical” routes?

I’ve come to be intimidated by surface conditions more than any weather. Nasty weather can be negotiated through or even sat out briefly. Getting literally stopped by mud sucks! Tree fall and other winter/avy debris, crikey, you can spend a lot of energy getting through that stuff. Road closures, washouts, yada. So, I say bring the cold and wet spells, just let me through! If I get truly cold, I drink hot water. A stove can be better than more clothes...

Rinse and repeat for a few months. In a week u be a bike-living machine with callouses on your ass and a Sh!t-eatin’ grin, fearing the normal life you must inevitably re-enter. :geek::cool:

Walleye, Danmtchl, Redman and 10 others like this.
  20. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    :D Awe Mikie:rolleyes: :inlove:

21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
  22. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    It sounds like a PCT kind of adventure! And what you said makes more sense re the trial conditions, we’ve had large sections of PCT wash out and the hikers had to turn back for several miles to find another route.
    I follow a couple on Instagram that I met near Golden Eagle last yr, they’re @alaskatopatagonia, and they did just that..on bikes!
    Now if only I could sweet talk the hubby into something like this, he’ll do a coastal pavement ride, but isn’t interested in dirt...yet :whistling:

23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    If I’m not mistaken, this translates accurately to suck it up, buttercup. :):thumbsup:

Okay, you have a little “project” on your hands...nice challenge!

I would be dangling some epic road miles in exchange for trail sections. Give up a whole state if you have to...a PCH road consolation? NTB!! Honestly, on ST-heavy routes I’m always happy to hit some dirt or even paved roads. (I couldn’t care less about adhering exactly to someone else’s route.) Sara, you might be closer to pulling it off than you think!

24. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Why?

25. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    The days of taking a day trip down to Rosarito, or hitting the tourist shops in TJ, are behind us. I wouldn't drive down to Mexico ever again, based on what I have seen, and what friends have experienced. I lived in downtown Chicago for 8 years... and have never felt as unsafe as the last time I was down in Mexico.

US Department of State - Mexico Travel Advisory

Exercise increased caution in Mexico due to crime. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
    Violent crime, such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery, is widespread.

The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in many areas of Mexico as travel by U.S. government employees to these areas is prohibited or significantly restricted.

U.S. government employees may not travel between cities after dark, may not hail taxis on the street, and must rely on dispatched vehicles, including from app-based services like Uber, or those from regulated taxi stands. U.S. government employees may not drive from the U.S.-Mexico border to or from the interior parts of Mexico with the exception of daytime travel within Baja California, and between Nogales and Hermosillo on Mexican Federal Highway 15D.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

Do not travel to:
    • Colima state due to crime.
    • Guerrero state due to crime.
    • Michoacán state due to crime.
    • Sinaloa state due to crime.
    • Tamaulipas state due to crime.

26. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Tanget- Not that it was terribly cold at 4 corners yesterday, but talked to a couple guys who were training for some long (400 mile?) organized ride/route from San Diego-Julian-Temecula-back to SD in Mayish. Anyway, after arriving at 4C, one guy pulled out his mini propane stove and proceeded to make hot chocolate. They had full bike packs and all the gear for self sufficiency. They did say the route they would do in May always had food establishments close so they didn't have to carry too much of it. Pretty cool tho, seeing the stove come out, and imagine doing that riding/camping for a few weeks like I know @mike has done.

mtnbikej, Stkx66, Danmtchl and 8 others like this.
  27. BigTex

BigTex Member

Name:
    Richard
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Les
    When it comes to TJ, my objective is to get through there AFAFP. The rest of Baja? No issues, great people. Now, when I'm down there, it usually has something to do with off-road racing, so that may have something to do with my experience. They love everything to do with off road racing.

mtnbikej, Stkx66, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  28. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    If you are riding with a group, especially if you have some locals with you, it might be ok. I just have an image in my head of @mike and his wife camping by themselves on the side of the road somewhere... no bueno :)

29. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Stagecoach 400 race: https://socalenduro.wordpress.com/stagecoach-400/
    or route: http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/stagecoach-400-bikepacking-route/

30. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    It's great that this is finally coming together, Evan!

mtnbikej, Danmtchl, mike and 2 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?