How much is too much for an alloy frame?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derkderkall, Apr 20, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    With Pivot unveiling an alloy Switchblade at Sea Otter, the question comes to mind. The lowest specced model comes in at $4099. The new Knolly Fugitive, begins at $4300. Many companies have their high specced alloy models in the mid $3000's, while the above rival some carbon builds.

That being said, do you have a limit on how much you would spend on a alloy frame? Or, are you most interested in the components. Bit of a and b...?

mike, Danmtchl and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    The most expensive part of a new bike is always the frame.....at least with full suspension. So always get the best frame you can.

Parts are going to wear out over time, and you can always upgrade as you go along.

Personally for me, most of the players in the game these days have carbon frames that are down where only Al bikes used to reside. I'd have a hard time dropping $4000 on an Al full suspension bike, knowing that I could get a carbon frame for the same price.

mike, Danmtchl and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  3. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Depends on your trust. Do you ride a lot of rocks? Do you trust that resin bike when you drop it on aforementioned rocks? Carbon gets damage that you cannot inspect. Aircraft Al Aly dents. Al Aly breaks under high cycle fatigue, carbon snaps. If you do not drop the bike hard on rocks you will be ok with cheap carbon. If you do then it is expensive carbon, which weighs more than the cheap stuff. Good carbon frames start above 3K. This makes your high end build at least 5K, but you will not put cheap stuff on your dream cycle so 7-10K

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Don't forget that you can always get a newer used bike or frame for a big discount. You can even find same year used stuff for great discounts.

mike, mtnbikej and Danmtchl like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Aluminum frame and shock? I'd pay $1500 for a good one. Full bike? $3500...

But if you work hard enough, you can get almost any bike you want at or under $4k unless you insist on carbon wheels. Not talking top-of-the-line drivetrain, but who needs that?

mike, jimbowho, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  6. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I would say anything over $2500 is too much for an aluminum frame. Good carbon frames start at the same price. Maybe a good handbuilt frame would be an exception i.e. (Foes, Ventana).

mike and Grassblade23 like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Are you talking frame or full bike?

mike, Danmtchl and Runs with Scissors like this.
  8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Important distinction...thread title says alloy frame, but goes on about full build. o_O

You can get a good titanium frame for $2K.

mike, Grassblade23 and Faust29 like this.
  9. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Frame

mike, Grassblade23 and herzalot like this.
  10. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Agreed. For me a special blend Ibis is just north of 4k. Hard to beat that with an Al. frame.
    I'm thinkin' Speedvagen road frame...full Shimano Claris drivetrain!

mike and Danmtchl like this.
  11. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Ok, to clarify. The values i was talking about in the original post were full builds. My question was just curiosity really.

mike, Sasquatch9billion and Danmtchl like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    $3500

mike, Sasquatch9billion and Danmtchl like this.
  13. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
  14. However much you are willing to pay for it is what it’s worth. $1200 or $12,000? it’s what you value it at.

But consider these factors. A good aluminum frame, designed and built for abuse, made from certified raw materials, properly cut and fixtured, properly welded and heat treated, machined to high tolerances. major crashes avoided.... With regular weekly hours logged should last 5 years. Longer if use is infrequent. I’m saying that’s worth $2k or more easy:)

If any of those critical steps are missed(like a Walmart aluminum bike) expect much less than 5 years. And at that level it’s worth $0.00 to me.

The new Canyon aluminum bike is $2,300 and it’s built with a Pike!!!! Deal

mike, Faust29, kioti and 4 others like this.
  15. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    im still rollling on a 2011 alloy frame!

mike, Faust29, kioti and 4 others like this.
  16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    mike, Faust29, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  17. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    That's a beautiful build. I love the details like the clear over brushed finish. I can't imagine spending that much on an alu hardtail, (But I 'm not calling it overpriced, either.)

It's hard to say what I'd spend on a build other than to lump $1300+ on to the price. (That's about as cheap as I can get a full group the way I want.) I used to go frame up because I was poor. Now that there is some discretionary income to play with, I'm usually so displeased with a complete spec that it's still easier to go frame up.

I'd have a hard time spending more than $1,000 on an alu hardtail, because that's getting into North American-made steel territory, (Vassago, Cromag, Reeb, GG, etc.) For full sus, I'd have trouble going much past $1,600 because there are plenty of good alloy frames at that price. $3,000 is right out the window, because the carbon frames I drool over are about that much. If I can afford to drop 3k on a frame, I can afford to roll the dice on snapping it over some rocks and dealing with warranty issues.

If I couldn't indulge the diva tendencies and had to buy a complete, I guess more than $3,500 would be too much for an alloy, (roughly the price of Pivot's Mach 6 alu or a carbon Salsa Pony Rustler.) $2,400 would be asking too much for an alu hardtail complete, (You can get a well equipped Chameleon or Honzo for less.)

mike, Faust29, kioti and 3 others like this.
  18. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    FWIW, my last two frames, that I am currently riding cost (retail) $675, 2016 Santa Cruz Highball, and $750, 2018 Specialized Chisel.
    Both are Aluminum hardtails. Both built frame up, by me, including wheels, Al of course.
    I have nothing against carbon fiber. I love the look. Clean lines. Outrageous shapes. Outrageous prices-rightfully so.
    I just like the cost to fun ratio of the Al.
    Aluminum: Cheap, Light, and Strong....pick 3

Danmtchl, mike, UPSed and 8 others like this.
  19. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    My Kona Sutra LTD qualifies as an alloy frame....steel alloy. Only $599. :cool:

Danmtchl, mike, Grassblade23 and 2 others like this.
  20. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    I'm looking at pulling trigger on aluminum SC Tallboy frame at $1899 (minus discounts). I really liked the bike I have demoed and all my current components would transfer straight over to get me started. From what I read above $1800 might be a little on the expensive side. I'm not completely tied to the SC Tallboy if there are other similar options I'd welcome a look and possible demo. Thanks

Danmtchl likes this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    What size do you need?

For $2029 you can get a TB CC frame, in XL.....go through Active Junky and get 8% cash back.
    https://www.backcountry.com/santa-c...ke-frame-2017?skid=SNZ009Q-YEL-XL&ti=Ojo6Njo=

Also check with the local SC dealers....they may have last years model on sale.

22. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    I ride a Large frame. 6,0 190 lbs. I've only shopped at The Path and it is where my Chameleon came from. Thanks for the link and help. I've still never met any imtbtrails guys yet. :( Hard to identify anyone when out riding. Need identifying mark. A member sticker perhaps. (another thread...)

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
  24. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    It's easy........most ride SC Cameleon?

25. Grassblade23

Grassblade23 Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Going to one of the rides posted under Trailhead could help. Although, other than the folks I already know from the Floop, I only run into forum members when I'm working an event or hiking. :unsure: Guess I should take my own advice.

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I'm the only guy out there riding an Intense Tracer 275c DVO edition with no DVO on it (presently). :confused: And if not, definitely the only one on such a bike who is also 6'4" tall. I'm in Aliso and/or LCWP almost every weekend morning, and I ride the legal trails. I should be pretty easy to spot.

Say hi if you see me!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?