How I went packless...but not full endurBro.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Redman, Aug 27, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    So.... I had been kicking around the idea of losing the hydration backpack. I had been wearing an Osprey Raptor 15 for the past few years. And, I loved the pack overall. Best fitting pack I've ever used, I had everything in there including the kitchen sink. Loaded up before a ride, it was probably close to or over 20lbs.
    I wanted to see what all this fuss was about riding packless. "You get so much freedom", "you don't sweat nearly as much", "no pack to slide around", etc., etc.
    I did some research and took notes from all the great info on this forum and came up with my own solution.
    By going packless, I no longer carry the following items on rides.
    1. rear der cable
    2. rear der hanger
    3. (1) set of extra brake pads
    4. (1) roll of elec. tape
    5. (1) roll of gauze
    6. misc. bandaids
    7. shock pump
    8. psi gauge
    9.extra snack bars
    10. small tube of sunscreen
    11. misc. zip ties, and a bit of duct tape

Here is what I did to get to riding w/o a pack. Item #1 is the most crucial step (I am sure you will all agree).
    #1. purchased a big bag of Tailwind.
    2. (2) Camelbak Podium waterbottles. (1) 21oz. & (1) 24oz. The 24 BARELY fits. I only use one bottle on the bike.
    3. Purchased (2) collapsable 24oz. waterbottles.
    4. (1) Lezyne side mount bottle cage.
    5. OneUp Components EDC tool.
    6. OneUp Components 100oz. pump
    7. RaceFace Stash bib shorts. The back of the bib has (3) pockets on a flap that you can tuck into your shorts or not. And, they also have a small pocket on the top of each thigh.
    8. (1) Tire Plug Kit w/ extra bacon strips.
    9. (1) Velcro strap (for spare tube & CO2 cartridge)

The bike gets (1) water bottle, straight water. The OneUp pump w/ the EDC tool inside. And, the velcro strap goes underneath the top tube. I fill the collapsible water bottles w/ Tailwind and put them in the outer back pockets on the stash bib. Roll up the collapsible's when they're empty and shove them back in the pockets.The middle pocket gets my phone.

Wah-LA! Packless I am.

I have done a few rides with this setup and still tweaking things a bit. I did a 25 mile ride a few weeks ago and the amount of water and tailwind was spot on.

This setup is good for 3-4 hour rides, up to 25 miles. I think any more than that, I will need more agua.

P.S. I still sweat just as bad without a pack.

Nomad.JPG

2. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Hats off Redman! I too am working on going lighter. I joke a lot about rolling with an American Express card and cell phone. Fixes everything right? Wrong. My backpack weighs in at 14.3 lbs. I hope to distribute safety items around my bike and consolidating my tools to go lighter. Over and over again I see riders with a bottle of water, cell phone and maybe other smallish items but not much else for their ( what I assume ) is their daily rides or sub. 25 ish mile rides.

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I'm pretty sure that I have posted this elsewhere, but I dislike wearing a pack on my body and I avoid it whenever I can. I have a standing agreement with my wife when I am off riding from home. She is my rescue if I have a bike failure, just a phone call away. On those local ride days from home, I bring my ID, CC, Heath Ins card, a few dollars, a pocket knife, a small mini-tool, and my cell phone. All of that stuff fits into my pockets. That's my idea of freedom.

My pack is slammed with goods and it's heavy. When I do wear it, I try not to use a bladder because that makes it even heavier. I stuff a bottle of water and other sports drink in there instead. I use the bottle cage(s) on my bikes for hydration on every ride. So for medium rides ((15-20 miles), I usually do not use a bladder in my pack. Only on longer rides will I use it.

Kudos to you for minimizing @Redman.

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Riding on sand gets tiring.

I've actually never used a pack, even on 6+ hour unsupported rides. That said, on those types of rides I usually know there is water available for a refill along the way. All my stuff goes in jersey pockets, seat bag and shorts pockets. Two water bottles on the bike because, well, I can. :p

And yeah, Tailwinds for the win!!:thumbsup:

kioti, mike, Danimal and 4 others like this.
  5. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    The last few weeks I wouldn't have survived 10 miles with that little amount of liquid. I've been drinking a lot with all this heat. Only one of my bikes has a water bottle holder and it won't fit a 24 oz. I tried the hip pack thing and that was a complete bust; totally uncomfortable for me.

6. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @Stkx66 I don’t think the average MTB’ers rides are anywhere close to 25 ish miles. From my experience talking with folks on the trail. Most folks barely go more than 10 miles for a ride. I used to think, how can anyone ride for more than an hour with just one bottle of water.

7. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Ahh, you're one of those guys... (no pack slammed with trailside failure goods)

"I'm not going to worry if something on my bike breaks, somebody in our group will have what is needed to get me up and rolling again".

:D

kioti, mike, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  8. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @mtbMike with my current setup I carry 76 oz of water. I didn’t think that would be enough for 3-4 hour rides. But, it’s worked for me a few times. The key for me is to ensure I am properly hydrated before my rides.

9. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    For the longest time I was the guy carrying everything and bailing out those who dont carry. With my current setup I can fix/change a flat or puncture. And, perform basic wrenching with the multi tool.
    In all my years of pedaling I have only needed the extra stuff I USED TO CARRY one time. And, I was less than 2 miles from my car. It was a short walk out.

kioti, mike, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  10. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I guess that's more than I initially thought....even though I would be limited to the (2) collapsible water bottles....and have to buy the bibs which I previously priced. Not a huge fan of bibs either though I know others swear by them.

11. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Exactly. I really don't get why someone would carry a spare derailleur cable or hanger on the bike with them. What are the odds??? If you properly maintain and preflight your bike, your derailleur cable won't break while you're riding. If you bend the hanger, well, you've probably got more serious issues along with it.

I'll admit, I'm part camel. I don't tend to drink as much water as most people for a given distance or temperature.

kioti, mike, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  12. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    So far (knock on wood) I haven't had to be that guy. Except for once, for a tire boot. :whistling: Which I now carry with me.

kioti, mike, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  13. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I solute your service to rescue those around you, and I happily support your readiness to retire from that position and let someone else carry the torch. :thumbsup:

kioti, mike, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  14. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Agree. Mostly my weekday rides are 10-15 ish with half of that being easy ( up and back ) . Recently I left my back pack behind on at least 3 rides in Chino Hills. I got some new cool PR's on Strava. My daughter said what about a flat? I said you have tools. ( and I stuffed a couple of cold ones in your back pack. Thanks. {{ Joke }} ) but she knows I'm not kidding, but mostly.

15. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Well, your conservative way of thinking is somewhat commendable. I expect that you be carrying whatever part fails you, one part at a time, as the years roll on. Therefore, your "pack" will grow slowly over the years. By the time you retire from riding (about aged 90), your pack could weigh in excess of 100 pounds. Because $h!t happens (eventually).

kioti, mike, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    But you were the guy headed to Motorway with no sidewall protection. :p

29D10256-9466-4A7D-B3DF-AED1A5E95D3F.jpeg

kioti, mike, herzalot and 8 others like this.
  17. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Was that the day that @Runs with Scissors was yelling out commands on how to fix his broken bike while it was being fixed by someone else? :rolleyes:

kioti, mike, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  18. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Cable I've never needed or see somebody need one yet but hangers? It's rare but I've bent one (I carry a spare) and had friends bend 8-10 over the years. Most don't carry spares. I guess it also depends on where you ride and how aggressively you ride. You're probably safe on death march fire road climbs but I've had two friends (actually 3 since one of them was a tandem bike) bend hangers on Gooseberry Mesa, both multiple miles from the TH.

kioti, mike, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  19. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I admitted it, didn't I? :oops::cool:.

And you'll recall I did have more than one with me when that freakin' branch went through my tire on the Old Camp ride. :thumbsup:

kioti, mike, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  20. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    That's when you toss the bike over the side and walk out. :Roflmao

kioti, mike, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  21. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    No bottle on your bike?
    I wasn’t a fan of bibs either. Then a roadie friend wouldn’t shut up about them. So I gave them a try and never looked back. For longer rides and or more desolate rides I will carry a pack w/ the kitchen sink.

kioti, mike, Stkx66 and 8 others like this.
  22. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Let it be known that if this backfires on me. And, I need something I don’t have and far from any help. I will undoubtedly be carrying a pack AGAIN from the next ride forward. That 100 lb pack can still be a reality.

kioti, mike, herzalot and 8 others like this.
  23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    That's awesome. It is freedom. The longer you do it, the harder it is put the pack on for longer rides.

The need for more water......just plan your route to refill. At the Oaks, that means dropping into park/school at the 3rd B or into Irvine Park. Allows you to extend those rides.

Sidewalk, kioti, mike and 5 others like this.
  24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

It's a calculated risk.

LLPoolJ, kioti, mike and 3 others like this.
  25. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    On my Kona Hardtail, I put a Revelate Tangle frame bag that will hold everything you can put in your pack, but you will lose one bottle mount and have to use a Wolftooth B-Rad setup to keep one. I also have put one bottle in the bag as a spare.

Once I was doing a large group ride in Demo Forest and one of my friends somehow loses his cleat. I asked Shimano, Crank Bros or Time? He responds Shimano and BAM!! I pull out my kit with spare cleats and bolts. When we got back to town he bought my beers all night. So it does pay to be prepared.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/frame-bags/TangleFrameBag

26. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    And that’s really the deciding factor isn’t it? Riding with @UPSed down in his area you have “water fountains” to refill at. I felt like I needed to hold up a pinky when I say “Water Fountains”. :whistling:

Where @Voodoo Tom and I mostly ride, you got to pack it. At least I do...:( as I am no camel like others here. Gots tah have my aqua!

I do on occasion especially in cooler weather ride an hour or two with just a bottle and I love it!

27. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Had to Double Like this! :thumbsup:

28. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    X2

29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    After picking up a road bike several years ago and doing every ride with two water bottles and a seat bag I figured there has to be a way to not wear a CamelBak even for longer rides. Unfortunately there aren't many roadside stores or drinking fountains in the dirt so I continued to use a pack when I rode. As I lost weight I was becoming more efficient meaning I wasn't consuming as much fuel or drinking as much water so I started experimenting. I consolidated my trailside tools and put them in a pouch that fit in my jersey pocket. Two water bottles seemed to be enough for most rides so one on the bike and one in another jersey pocket. The third pocket holds my cell phone. As far as nutrition goes, you guessed it. Tailwind. I plan all of the big rides I do from home around known water sources so this setup works great. For any away rides I will always bring my CamelBak. It just makes more sense to be prepared when you are away from home. If only there was a way to carry one more bottle.

30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I've broken my derailleur cable at least three times (Shimano). I preflight my bike, and it's properly maintained, but that generation of Shimano rear d did not like cables. I have bailed out my friends with broken cables thrice. A derailleur cable is light, and takes up no space. I've also replaced a hanger on a ride. But unless you ride in really rocky terrain, or routinely make your chain too short (on a rear suspension bike), a hanger shouldn't be a necessity.

Hardtail bikes are easier on cables, chains and derailleur hangers. Bikes ridden gingerly down hills with no rocks also need less repair. :sneaky: :whistling:

littlewave, Danmtchl, kioti and 9 others like this.