How do you transport your bike?

Discussion in 'Bike Racks' started by Derkderkall, Jan 27, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

?

How do you transport your bike on your vehicle?

1. hitch rack

27 vote(s)
    62.8%
  2. roof rack

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. trunk rack

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. truck bed

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  1. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    It's a tad beefy but it's actually rated to hold a dirt bike. Which, one day may come down the line...I'm sure you could get one of your friends to help you put it on or take it off if you asked them. ;)
    Kuat makes one that'll only hold up to 250lbs. It looks almost as beefy as mine. but it might be lighter.

kioti, Mikie, mike and 5 others like this.
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I have a T2 four spot on our SUV, and the only down side is that it's hella heavy. The 2X T2 is pretty easy to install/remove/store, but the 4X... not fun. As it's a pain to have installed when not in use, I have to take it off and put it back on twice a week.

32879216253_d4e534752c_c.jpg

I have roof racks on my car which work really well permanently installed. If it's just a single bike, I throw it in the cargo space.

37759887735_9068a32e89_c.jpg

Here's our over the top crazy option for when we transport the tandem. It's not fun to get the racks or the tandem up there:

37535564346_d27a38df8e_c.jpg

I wouldn't mind getting a Draftmaster, but they're crazy expensive.

kioti, OTHRider, Old&InTheWay and 8 others like this.
  3. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I use tiedowns. Easy peasy. I would like to pick up Yakima Bedrock. It sets the bikes above the bed. It would be great for multiple bikes and gear storage below. Have had many hitch racks. We sell the Thule T2 Pro which is a sweet rack, also have looked into a EVOC Tailgate pad.

kioti, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Another Thule T2 dude here.

5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The main advantage of a van is you, legitimately, can sleep with your bike. :sneaky:

Shitty and David: :thumbsup:

Redman, kioti, Old&InTheWay and 7 others like this.
  6. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Haha! I bet they were lame! They probably missed out on that epic Harding Truck trail shred-fest too. Those dumb monkeys...probably wasted their time driving up the mountain only to drop some actual trail back to the truck. :thumbsdown:

kioti, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  7. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Until two weeks ago I just rolled them inside my Honda Element. Easy. Could fit two bikes without removing wheels.

Finally sold the Honda after 13 years though and the new car won’t fit a bike inside without removing a wheel. Installing a hitch so I can mount a hitch rack. Gonna go 1up or quikrack.

8. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Like this, works works out well. :)90DC05CE-25A6-44AF-B5B1-1F5289D778B7.jpeg

9. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    A bit of derail...
    What did you get for it? Mileage, 4WD, year? I'm asking cuz I'll be putting mine up for sale soon.

Danmtchl, kioti, littlewave and 5 others like this.
  10. wc_surveyor

wc_surveyor Member

Name:
    Dean
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem SX
    Who needs a rack? I was behind this guy awhile back. Bars attached to the top of the windshield and seat tied off to the headrest. Good to go.

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

MrGreedom, Danmtchl, kioti and 9 others like this.
  11. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I als have an element, with a hitch rack so lots of options. I generally have the rear seats out so can fit bikes in back too. With one rear seat in I can fit 3 guys and 3 bikes. But since I usually ride solo I just put it in the rack.

12. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
  13. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I take both wheels off and put it in the back of my car, as there is no viable rack for my car other than roof suction cup one. It is a pain, but also a good thing ... I got rear ended on the freeway about a year ago on the way to the trails, and if my bike had been on a hitch rack it would have been destroyed.

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and kioti like this.
  14. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    2003 EX (AWD) with 196K miles.

Listed for $3500, sold it to a nice family for $2500 on the first day. Maybe could've have bargained/waited for more, but mine had some cosmetic issues so I took it and was done. I miss it though! What are you looking at to replace it?

15. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I'm looking at the Tacoma or the 4Runner both in 4WD, Leaning towards the 4Runner tho. Better drive train, 4 wheel disc, more comfy. We want to be able to go further out into the woods/desert without much worry of getting stuck.

toyota-4runner-trd-off-road-n280-100_qoj6mv.jpg

16. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    The 4Runner would be best.photo 1.jpg

17. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Got my (2011) 4Runner in 2012 and have only had to get new tires, new cabin air filter, recharge my K&N air filter, a new battery (original Panasonic was still fine but 5+ years old) and new brake pads. I like the truck on chassis design and don’t need my SUV to drive like a car (my wife’s does that). The rear window is an awesome perk too but reliability and function is hard to beat (for someone like you, not a soccer mom who will never take it off a paved road).

I’m running Good Year Wrangler DuraTrac tires and didn’t notice a gas mileage drop and they are awesome off road, not a bother on road but as stated I’m not looking for a car like ride.

Family picnic up Maple Springs:
    E4B8B68D-F1AE-4C31-904B-CFC0273976FB.jpeg

18. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I LIKE IT!

mtnbikej, Cornholio, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Heaven forbid, it's turned into a vehicle thread. Unimogg photos in 4, 3, 2...

20. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Well....the thread is called "How do you TRANSPORT your bike" LOL

21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Fair enough. But when the camping tents show up, all hell breaks loose. Trailers, RVs, mobile homes, prefabs on wheels...

:bang:

22. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I kinda like the way my friend Ash has her Tacoma set up for transporting bikes. She's one of the promoters of the Sturdy Dirty Enduro races. She gave me a lift up to my volunteer post at one of the races and it gave me a chance to check out her set up. :thumbsup: I don't know what the law is regarding the rack up front tho, anyone know??

IMG_20171015_081425_777.jpg

23. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    You're right. This is how I used to transport my bike.FB_IMG_1497383625293.jpg

24. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    My brother swears by his 80 series Land Cruiser. Quiet, comfortable, goes places Jeeps have trouble with (or give up on), and camps anywhere with a Wildernest on top. He did extensive exploration in Death Valley and all over the Rockies and never got stuck.

25. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I'll second @Cornholio on the 4Runner. I have a 2016 Trail 4WD. The truck is bulletproof. And like @Cornholio, it has made it's way up MS. The picture below is before climbing up SJT. The only changes I have made to it is the BFG All Terrain TA's and the OPOR rock sliders. And, I have a OneupUSA rack on in the picture, so it does fit with the thread......:) The One Up is by far the best hitch rack out there. I should get a commission from them. I have 4 buddies that picked up the rack after seeing mine.

4 Runner.jpg

Old&InTheWay, mike, kioti and 7 others like this.
  26. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Land Cruisers and 4Runners are built in Japan for the international market. Tacomas are built in the US for just the US (maybe N.A.???) market.
    The Cruisers and 'Runners are considered better vehicles.

mike, kioti, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  27. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    It works for the metro buses!

mike, kioti, DangerDirtyD and 2 others like this.
  28. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Been looking at 4Runners in the Trail premium trim. Test drove a used one last week and they wouldn’t budge on the price. It was 5K more for a 2018 model compared to the 2014 I looked at.

mike, kioti, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That's the good and the bad with Toyota. They hold their value. We ended up getting a new Tundra because the ones 2-3 years old were just as much.

mike, kioti, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  30. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Seems that is the way to go. Ventura Toyota has a 2018 Trail Premium in stock. Maybe on Wednesday I will take a trip down there.

mike, doublewide, kioti and 4 others like this.