How did you select your bike?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by herzalot, Dec 8, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    22C6133C-12F3-4568-B0AE-DED54E3C89F8.jpeg Where else would you see a Superlight, Blur, and Blur LT at the same place at the same time these days?

When the two on the right finally get on the XC 29er wagon, I might as well show up just for breakfast after the ride.

Luis, Faust29, mike and 5 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I’d say probably a pic on STR from about 2005?

Redman, Faust29, mike and 4 others like this.
  3. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker
    I once owned a Santa Cruz Roadster. Sweet bike, but ultimately not my thing. :whistling:

2014-05-26 15.25.27.jpg

Danmtchl, Faust29, mike and 3 others like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Yup....they made a Road/Track bike in the early days.

5. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker
    I was interested in a road bike, but I didn't know much about them. This bike was only able to take 23mm tires and even the Gatorskins were a tight fit. I got a good deal on it, so I made most of my money back when I sold it. Luckily. Haha

6. redwoods

redwoods Well-Known Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Current Bike:
    Ridin' heavy
    Brand reputation matters a lot.
    Warranty matters a lot. Even the wording of the warranty...I've decided to ignore a couple brands that I was otherwise interested in based on what I'd call anti-customer wording in the warranty.
    Even colors. I wouldn't buy a bike based on the color options, but I might NOT buy one based on the color options.

Personally, test-riding bikes is fun, but also essential to my decision-making process.
    Yes, I read/watch all I can (specs, geo, reviews). But, I also generally distrust others' reviews/ride reports enough to not base a decision on them because there are too many variables and subjectivity.
    Even across multiple rides on the same bike (not just the same model, but the exact same bike), there could be differences. Hell, I'm not the same rider from ride to ride, so multiple test rides is a good idea.
    I gotta feel it.

With that said, the feel of the bike isn't the only factor that matters, of course. Especially when the one that feels right is the least budget-friendly on the list.
    Budget may require a compromise on parts spec, which of course could affect how the bike rides to the point of too much trade-off.

Ultimately, within my budget, can I find a bike from a brand I trust, with a component spec I know will meet my needs, in a color that I like...and that I look forward to riding?
    Without that last part, none of the rest really matters.
    Gotta be stoked!

Varaxis, mike, Old&InTheWay and 10 others like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I am 97.46% aligned to this decision making process! Especially the closing statement.

mike, Danmtchl, redwoods and 4 others like this.
  8. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I was looking to buy a new bike and was looking for something within my budget. I was at my local shop checking out some closeout deals with the owner. He says "why don't you buy the bike I have been riding". He quoted a price that matched my budget and was huge discount off the sticker. So - $$$ made the decision for me. I'm more than happy with it.

mike, tick, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  9. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I bought my last bike purely based on online reviews and Instagram clips...... it is such a sweet bike!
    The $250 loyalty discount and the no sales tax were the cherries on that cake.

I did test ride it once before ordering the frame.

mike, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 7 others like this.
  10. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Saw a KILLER deal on Craigslist and dove right in.

mike, Danmtchl, SnakeCharmer and 5 others like this.
  11. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Sorry, missed this. AIR, I procured the Heckler in 1997 as a frame only and built it up. Red color may help define it. My son loved it until he purchased a Tallboy about five years ago, but the "red beauty" is still in the family.

mike, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  12. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    I liked the color.
    Sold!

mike, Faust29, tick and 5 others like this.
  13. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    All my bikes were basically me wanting to experience as much as possible while stretching out my finances. I wanted to verify a lot of my theory crafting, which ended up opening me up to new things beyond that. I learned much of what I wanted to know about the bikes within 500 miles, but the bikes I enjoy most are the ones I repeatedly pick to ride. Generally, I enjoy learning about stuff that interests me, on a deeper level. I like to share all these findings, but I've come to accept that a majority of others find it to be way too deep. I get no responses to my walls of text that indicate that people read/comprehended it, so I am left asking what am I to do.

I don't post here cause I went ahead with an ebike purchase, which I had for 2 years now (since Dec '17), and wanted to avoid the conflict that the intolerance shown here would cause. I'm too sensitive to the jabs in what seems to be a cultural norm in cycling, some sort of warrior culture promoting spartan-like ideas. I've heard it called various things, from elitism to toxic masculinity. Makes me think back to that one guy I called a special snowflake, who gave me the guilt-trips by upvoting my Strava postings in which I had mechanical failures for a while. Went under the radar elsewhere too, but I suppose that'll change depending on the reaction to the upcoming Santa Cruz emtb.

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Glad to hear from you. Sad to see you going the way of the motor. To each his own, unless it gets parks/trails closed to bikes (which I believe is likely where I ride).

15. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Dan! Yay! I miss you Froind!

16. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    So you’ve switched hobbies from suspension design to critical bike theory?

If you ebike is for commuting to work or riding Skypark, you do you, it’s all good.

but yeah, I tend to not tolerate selfish behavior from children or adults. Riding an ebike in an OC Park is selfish and you should be ashamed of yourself if you do so.

mike, Faust29, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  17. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Fatalistic much?

18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Before I throw verbal stones at e-bikers in the parks, I read the posted speed limit signs and wonder if I ever violate those laws in a selfish way...

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    No - I'm optimistic, hopeful and above all grateful for what we have today. Will these trails and current levels of "tolerance" survive the current and future levels of use, especially if motor-bikes are allowed? Probably not.

20. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    That’s reasonable. But someone just dropped in after three years away and called everyone here immoral. Intolerance being the only modern immorality. I just thought I’d let him know that I noticed the insult.

mike, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  21. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    What’s the line on how long until access gets yanked after the e-pocalypse? I’m gonna say 8.5 months for Laguna. 17.5 months for the rest of the county.

There has to be some time for the traffic to build up, I don’t think we’ll all rush out and get electric but dealing with Lizard climbers and folks lining up behind me on Chutes will get old, (I’m not pulling over...) and we’ll all end up considering it just to stay sane.

On-topic: I choose a bike that I think will improve my sanity.

mike, Danmtchl and mtnbikej like this.
  22. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    No. That's kind of a rude oversimplification. I think I simplified it well enough by just saying that I enjoy learning about my interests deeper. I'm told that I'm a very detail-oriented person.

Highlight if you want to read the personal message, else ignore since it's off-topic. tick doesn't allow conversation from me, and I don't know how to PM otherwise:

This is what I wanted to avoid in the first place. By "fighting back", I make the fight real, rather than a delusional fight based on principles, as you can make things personal with me acting as an opponent. Conflict doesn't solve ignorance and intolerance. Arguing doesn't work either; I can lay down evidence, facts, etc. and they'd likely make one's beliefs stronger due to the phenomenon called the backfire effect. I know that people can't simply tolerate everything; one must at least be intolerant of intolerance, for tolerant society to survive. Can't just simply kill Nazis or terrorists and expect there to be fewer; more will rise in their place and all you have done is disrupt stability. The best method I know of is to convince people personally, about why their reasoning is flawed. The story that inspired me to change how I deal with prejudiced intolerance, is NPR's story on Daryl Davis, if you want to look it up. The difference is how the two people are invited to talk openly, and listen, rather than just each laying out their perspective/side and arguing which is better.

You're declaring what should be the norm to conform to, that fits a personally acceptable level of tolerance. Shame and guilt-tripping works against me, but not when I'm ignorant of the relative damage I am causing. Convince me of damage that can be done by my behavior, and I'd reflect. I used to be one to argue semantics, like wondering what your definition of selfish behavior is, to wonder if you're not being a hypocrite or being contradictory, or something else like lacking vocabulary, but I'll ignore that for now.

I see your post as one in which you want validation for you beliefs. It's as if you want some compromise between my habits and your beliefs. You don't want to personally come off as hating me personally, but you have a thing against ebikes, and want me to respect that by staying out of your world and triggering you. I like to build more trust with people before agreeing to any deals, so forgive me for not agreeing to anything that requires blind trust.

I measure things in time investment, since I consider life to be short. There's so much I have to learn, that I don't want to waste time with such drudgery. Please excuse my "psycho-analysis". It's just how my mind works. I lack the ability to empathize with feelings (AKA mind read), something related to alexithymia I was told.

If spirit of that one story: tell me, why do you have such prejudice against ebikes? I have 2 years of experience riding one, as someone who previously rode normal MTB and rode OC parks such as Whiting, Santiago, Bommer & Irvine Ranch Conservancy, and seen some of the crowds. I should be able to offer some perspective.

23. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    I only did one demo ride. No brand loyalty. I asked a bunch of questions, I rode a few models, the price was very important, I read a ton of reviews, and I wanted a white-colored bike. I did not find the bike I wanted in white.

After all my research, the 2019 Salsa Timberjack in Anaheim Ducks orange hit the spot. The discount from the lbs was nice too. It felt light enough for me to work with and had a solid backing on here from other riders.

That is all.

Varaxis, mike, Old&InTheWay and 10 others like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Your process evolved right before our eyes - and it was cool to see. Looks like a great result too (and I like the orange frame). :thumbsup:

25. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    How did I choose my bike? I listened to @mtnbikej and pulled out my credit card :)

26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The geometry numbers have come into scrutiny much more than before for me. A little while ago I got pretty close to perfect bikes for my needs, so from that point, comparing numbers and features is the only realistic way to fine tune it. A replacement bike has to fix a shortcoming of the previous.

But I will buy a bike for one ride if it's a badass enough ride. And sell it right afterward.

27. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Dan (@Varaxis ) routinely rides his eBike with my group and is a welcome and respected rider, without question. He is the PERFECT example of what an eBike rider SHOULD be. He is welcome to ride with me anytime, anywhere.

Yeah...I have an issue with eBikes due to the behavior I have witnessed with eBike riders. I personally don't have an interest in riding one myself, for specific reasons that most people don't understand.

I had saved some money for a bike, and my LBS had an entry level version of the Specialized Enduro on the showroom floor. I had special pricing back then. I just looked at it, and had to have it. I absolutely loved it. So when they started to clearance the high spec version a year later, the Enduro Ohlins coil model, I picked that up. It had everything I wanted in a bike. Slack enough to destroy downhills, still a great trail bike (if you don't mind the weight), the SWAT box, lifetime frame warranty, coil suspension, etc. NO REGRETS on that bike. I plan to ride that bike for years to come.

28. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Just need to get that fork going!!!

29. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Hopefully my warranty replacement arrives soon...

If not, that's a lot of coin to drop...

30. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    It's a shame that you judged me in such a negative way, as a person that would come to simply shame.

I openly invite you, and any others, to have an open discussion with me about how you feel about ebikes or any other topic.

I've done this for types who some would call anti-vacc, flat Earthers, addict, climate change denier, etc. These are subjects that fascinate me lately. I'll give you the short of it: these people are sensitive to security and trust. They're not insane. They are ironically more cognitive, admirably so, than more common people. Their reasoning is off, and they don't know why, and want to honestly know the absolute answer, but are reluctant to make irreversible decisions, so they remain defensive (some would say closed-minded or conservative, but defensive is more accurate). Emphasis on "absolute"... I don't offer such, since I'm much more of a "relative" thinker. The ones offering absolute answers are ones who can claim certainty and have some sort of authority, like being a doctor, billionaire, or popular celebrity, which demands some level of respect and trust.

I consider myself more of a learner, than lecturer. I simply love learning so much that I get excited to share such love. With bikes, I did the Grim Donut before pinkbike did it, although with a more usable head angle, and have gone well beyond that in theorycrafting (you heard it here first: fixing drone rotor array to axles of emtb, utilizing the space above/beside the wheel, that can "lighten its feel" and act to stabilize the bike, so you don't go over the bars, like a hybrid hoverbike). I'm not fun to talk to about bikes, because I think 99.9% of them are bad (Sturgeon's Law taken to 3rd degree), with the amount of detailed knowledge I have. I just point out the least sucky ones in whatever category now, happy when people acknowledge the amount of science and technology that goes into stuff in general and choose based on it. I also acknowledge personal choice too, that overbiking is a real thing, just not in the way people think it is.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?