Holy Jim with the Holy Avengers

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Dec 20, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Well first off . . . It did happen... and a ride like this deserves a real ride report.
    Formula: Distance X Super Heroes X Hero Dirt = Epic Proportions (Yep! Gotta write a report)

The History
    Like a dawg on a leash, I have been "unleashed" from work for like 17 days for Christmas Break.

Mike had posted in Trailheads: "Ah jeez not Joplin again" and although it caught my eye,
    It's a "Long Long Way From Home" - Foreigner,
    for a ride I had already done with mike back at the beginning of February of 2014 (yeah, can you believe it's already been THAT long mike?)

Previous Report: It's Holy Jim and Joplin w/ Mike

But then, @ridinrox posted to come down and ride with her buds (insinuating that she would actually BE THERE! :cautious:) so I said wth, I'm going... (I thought about that "Rox Hug" all the way down there :()

Now understand, I live in Frazer Park which is at the bottom of Central California. When I come across "A Rider" on one of my trails, it's a celebration! So to drive 142 miles through Los Angeles, past Anaheim, past the Matterhorn, to Rancho Santa Margarita, it's an event within the event. But I had not seen mike in nearly 2 years and that's a felony in some states! To top it off, the group kept anteing up! @rossage , @knucklebuster , then @Cougar , @Cisco Roots , AND @ridinrox , with @mike as ride leader?!?! Holy Caped Crusaders, how could you NOT go???

The Event before The Event
    As with anything in life, good things don't always come easy. It's like obstacles are put in our way to test our mettle. The day before, I went out and checked on my bike (pre-ride) to make sure it was up to snuff for Joplin (a Break Burner), and low and behold both my ICE Tech rotors were burning though the stainless into the aluminum.

Swapped out both my Rotors and Pads in preparation for "Joplin the Brake Burner".
    IMAG00307.jpg

Lucky for me I already had two new rotors in the shop and swapped them out and installed new pads front and rear as well. Sorry in advance to those that disagree, but ICE TECH are the best brakes on the planet. In fact, everyone (at least at the end of the ride) had duplicate brakes on their bikes, all ICE TECH.

"When they say your life flashes before your eyes, I now believe it."

The next morning at 5:30am with bike and gear loaded, I discovered I had a very low tire on the mini. So I opened the garage door and fired up the compressor to top of the front passenger tire. As I rolled slowly into the garage, I heard the snap, crackle, and pop of things breaking. My bike was on top of the Mini! I was half asleep and not thinking! I quickly backed up repeating the words, "OH NO!" out loud no less than 25 times as I got out, looked at my bike, pulled it off the Thule, frantically checked it like a trauma patient.

When they say your life flashes before your eyes, I now believe it. Still asleep from the early morning. I thought I wasn't going anywhere, in fact, I thought Kokopelli was out, and riding FOR MONTHS was out as I thought sure I snapped my carbon frame. In a sleepy stupor I checked and rechecked, but it seemed okay. All I had done was mangle the driver side bike rack, the bike was okay. I threw it on the passenger side and headed out and Guaranteed myself this is the LAST roof rack I will ever own. I did this once with my Proflex and swore then, never again...

The drive down was your typical LA extravaganzah. Spun out car sitting on the side of the road facing outward in Santa Clarita, jackwad speed racers cutting you off through LA, people exchanging numbers and insurance cards on the side of the road from rear ending each other in Santa Ana.

the.journey.PNG

Interstate 5.
    IMAG00309.jpg

Sitting in the lower parking lot of Holy Jim, I had thought Dave had mentioned meeting there. But when I pulled up @Cougar 's map link, it did indeed point to the actual Upper Holy Jim Parking Lot. RATZ! I hate that drive up Holy Jim Creek Canyon! Mini Coopers are great on dry pavement but totally suck off road!

Just as I started up to the parking lot a car pulled in behind me, I slowed to let them pass and It was @Cisco Roots ! So he followed me at around 7 miles per hour to the parking lot and there... were the men of imtbtrails awaiting! We made it!

Eat my Dust! Cisco Roots following me to the Holy Jim Trailhead parking lot.
    IMAG00314.jpg

Finally, the Frickin' Ride Report!

holy.jim.12.19.15.PNG
    Greeted by mike, rossage, cougar, and knucklebuster in the Holy Jim parking lot, Cisco and I got our gear on and we finally headed out. Yes, Rox was a no show :whistling:.

The last time I was here the lower section of Holy Jim was very wet, slippery roots and rocks and I remembered I had never ridden that type of terrain before. This time it wasn't, and it was a lot more predictable.

Rossage, Knucklebuster, and Mike! Yeah! We are getting ourselves some Epic!
    IMAG00317.jpg

Cougar... "Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight! Get down tonight!"
    IMAG00318.jpg

For what ever reason, rossage was like an escaped detainee, up front with cougar right beside him both slowly pulling away chatting like two school girls. Cisco and I were following about a hundred yards behind with mike and knucklebuster cruising sweep. It stayed that way until we got to the split. One trail heading to the falls, the other to the 17 sacred switchbacks of Holy Jim. Last time I cleaned them all and today was no exception beotches :eek:, ha hah!

It was a cruisin' day up the switchbacks. Rossage and Cisco led, I swapped places with cougar a couple of times, and knucklebuster and mike ran sweep. We stopped a couple of times on the climb up just to regroup for the camaraderie.

Cisco Roots and Rossage led the charge up Lower Holy Jim . . . . rockstahs.
    IMAG00319.jpg

Cougar.
    IMAG00321.jpg

Cougar, again...
    IMAG00323.jpg

Mike...
    IMAG00326.jpg

Mike, again...
    IMAG00327.jpg

Mike! Juan more time...
    IMAG00328.jpg

Rossage & Cisco at a stop point to regroup as we look to the west. IMAG00331.jpg

Cougar.
    IMAG00334.jpg

Mike-ster.
    IMAG00335.jpg

Where we've been. Looking back on the trail from above as we loop around.IMAG00336.jpg

Ah, the views. Who says mountain bikers don't commune with nature?!?! IMAG00337.jpg

Above cougar is the Santiago Peak and the repeater towers. IMAG00338.jpg

When we got to the Main Divide Fire Road we chose to take Upper Holy Jim. Not really sure what to think of that. We HAB'ed 85% of it to the big dirt parking lot just below Santiago Peak. Met a couple of hikers there, the girl named Christy, who was asking about buying bikes which we naturally obliged.

Mike making fun of rossage making fun of how I sit on my bike for just about every pic taking of me...
    IMAG00339.jpg

Knucklebuster and cougar...
    IMAG00340.jpg

IMAG00341.jpg

When you ask Mike and Rossage to pose for a pic . . . this is typically what you will get. The Epic inside the Epic.

IMAG00343.jpg

IMAG00344.jpg

"FINALLY!", I'm sure is what Cisco is saying after the Loooooong HAB up Upper Holy Jim.
    IMAG00345.jpg

The views were . . . ehhh.
    IMAG00346.jpg

IMAG00349.jpg

Cougar.
    IMAG00350.jpg

At the top of Upper Holy Jim, it was there we found out that knucklebuster had turned around. He was not feeling well and just did not want to hold up the ride I guess. That was a big bummer for me as I wanted to spend time with him on the ride and possibly afterwards.

The guys ate, I didn't (Tailwinds), and then we finished the last leg to bag the peak. Man! That's a tough last section! I only dabbed twice pissing me off as I wanted to score the full 100 points!

Looking up at whats left. The Santiago Peak summit. The summit of our journey.
    IMAG00351.jpg

Mike! Almost bagging the top of Upper Holy Jim. I didn't even try... IMAG00354.jpg

At the top it was very cloudy, cold, and quite windy. No view due to heavy clouds and they were getting darker by the minute. Cougar decide to bail before Joplin (WHAT the...??) All the work with no reward! But he was not feeling it, and you GOT to "feel it" for Joplin. So we said our goodbyes to cougar and I was thankful I got to see him for the time I did.

Cisco Roots at the top of the top. Santiago Peak.

IMAG00355.jpg

...Radar Love.
    IMAG00356.jpg

IMAG00357.jpg

IMAG00358.jpg

So Then there Were Four..
    Mike, Rossage Cisco Roots, and I were now going to fly down to Joplin and tackle that beotch and tackle it we did! They all padded up and I'm thinking, "Da-ham! I ridden this before... I just remember it being raviney and super steep?" I had forgotten about all the jagged rock drops. I brought some elbow wrist pads so I decided to wear those (mainly for warmth, it was cold!).

We dropped Upper Joplin in the cold and blowing cloud cover and began our "run of fun". Finally! Rossage still the crazy banshee off the injury list, with just a little in reserve still healing from his cliff drop, taking off first, then I, then Cisco, and then Mike. Fast and fun! Whooping coming from ahead as Rossage was yelling his glee. Occasionally stopping and swapping ride leader just to keep it interesting.

"I heard his chain slaps and rock smackin'... then a grunt of sorts... then I was alone up front..."

When we got to Lower Joplin Mike led, I followed, then Cisco and Rossage. The whooping and yelling continued. The trail basically follows down a ravine with the occasional diversion of flowy steep singletrack. The stream bed sections seemed MUCH more rocky and treacherous this time since last. If I could have closed my eyes on a couple sections I would have. Mike had let me take the lead by now and we were "Hauling the Mail" on some super techie rock garden drops. Cisco was on my azz, I heard his chain slaps and rock smackin'... then a grunt of sorts... then I was alone up front...

When I get into a groove and rhythm, that inertia and cosmic force is what gets me through the tough technical. Back in the 90's I would never have thought it "possible" to ride the stuff we do today. It really sucks to now be 56 years old discovering all of this.

"Bikes today can do more than any "above average rider", will EVER do..."

So I scan for the best line possible (most often a straight line), place my weight so far back that the front end floats and I steer by braking on the rear. I got to a smooth stopping point and waited for the others. I was getting nervous... It had been too long with the caliber of riders I was riding with. I yelled back up the trail, and kinda heard a yell back. Yelled again, then again... I heard some kind of activity and voices but was not sure what it meant.

Finally, Cisco came blazing around the corner, and then the rest of the posse. Cisco had went over the bars in a nice boulder section and was so tangled up in his bike, he needed assistance to get unraveled. Lucky! Minor scrapeage on his shin? No harm? No foul. We Live another day!

Kicking it for a few at a campsite at the bottom of Lower Joplin to get a little grub.
    IMAG00359.jpg

IMAG00360.jpg

We finished off Joplin. Mike schooled me on how it's done on the parts I WALKED, good job Mike the Joplin Jedi! We stopped at a camp site and met a guy out from Colorado for the Holidays. We ate, then we climbed up and out to do the fast flowy fun over to Cadillac. Mike led down Cadillac and then we huffed it back up the fire road to the vehicles at what I thought was a pretty stiff pace led by Cisco Roots.

Back at the Trailhead parking lot, we hit up some Wild Turkey (yeah we don't mess around....) No! I mean there was really a wild turkey strutting his stuff with his misses in the parking lot!

So to wrap it up, we did just over 17 miles with 95% of the elevation gain in the first 7.8 miles. these guys are animals . . . and, awesome!

Just us. Well, and some wild turkey...
    IMAG00362.jpg

Okay NOW, just us...
    IMAG00365.jpg

...and now just the Wild Turkeys.
    IMAG00367.jpg

Here kitty kitty kitty.
    IMAG00369.jpg

The two kings of trail talk . . . . talking.
    IMAG00371.jpg

Cisco shows his medal for the day. Could have been WAAYYY worse!
    IMAG00372.jpg

The 7 mph drive out.
    IMAG00374.jpg

Mike asked if we wanted to hit up a beer, but I had such a long drive ahead of me (more than I could have imagined) so I changed clothes, said my goodbye's, and headed out at a rippin' 7 to 8 mph down the fire road in the Mini Cooper to Trabuco Canyon Road...

Stopping at Carls Jr. for a "Soda for the Road"
    IMAG00375.jpg

The Drive Home...
    ...was literally, hell!

Rain varied from light sprinkles to pouring, dark skies and backed up traffic from lower Anaheim all the way passed San Fernando. Averaging 18 miles per hour for nearly 3 and a half hours. It's true I smacked my steering wheel a couple of times and shared vocally and openly to the other victims of the freeway my mindless rant thoughts.

The 18 mph drive home from Anaheim to Santa Clarita... Holding the camera up out my Sun Roof.
    IMAG00377.jpg

But, in the big picture... I have new memories that no one can take away from me.
    ...Of being with my MTB soul brothahs. When I see my buds I go for the handshake, but I also go for the hug, coming AND going, as these are the people I cherish on this planet the most. Yes... more than my immediate family. I risk my life with my imtbtrails family. I share with them more than anyone other than Cathy.

Would I go again? For that kinda friendship? Absolutely!
    Drops the mic...

Bike On!

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    A+ report! Another knockout, Mikie. Salute, Capitan!

hill^billy, Grego, Voodoo Tom and 6 others like this.
  3. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I was really excited to get to ride with a bigger group from here, even if I really didn't want to be out 6 hours or so. The wife kept giving me absolutely NO flack at all for the time, so I signed up late Friday and off I went.

I'm a bit of a weather weenie, mostly because one of the things with only starting MTB in 2014 is that I don't have a deep playbook as to how to deal with all the various elements. I had a jacket on in the parking lot, had a balaclava in my bag in the truck... and took neither with me on the ride. It had JUST started to warm up in the parking lot right before we started out, Rossage and I were debating jacket or not. Other than that, I had decent colder weather gear on... I just wasn't prepared for the actual cold and the wind. My research the night before said the peak was going to be in the 50s with a low chance of rain.... rolled the dice.

It was pretty uneventful for me up to MD. I'm becoming more and more familiar with LHJ, and even if I don't clean it, I walk less and less each time up. Usually I walk to conserve some energy for the later sections of the ride in some of the early rocky stuff. My lower back was tightening up some and 'yelling at me' a bit earlier than usual, so that caught me a bit surprised.

When we chose to HAB up UHJ, I thought that would be interesting as I've never gone up that before. It was a miserable HAB. It wasn't as steep as some of the other stuff I went, but with all of the ruts and the slippery DG, trying to get your footing was challenge enough, let alone get your bike up too.

12366287_10153746235436257_930694144193945163_n.jpg
    Hiking up UHJ, the clouds and threat of rain were starting to creep in.

After the break, we started up that last section of MD to the Peak and this is the section that usually breaks me. I've done a few solo trips to the peak, and I walk a big portion of this section each time - this was no different. I quickly fell to the back of the pack, and after the right turn after the big steep rocky section was on my bike more than not. However, I was starting to get really cold at this point. We were on the East side of the range, there was frost on the ground in places, and I was just cold. I had leggings, armor, arm warmers and the like... good for early mornings in the 40s that warm up. But this true cold was starting to seep in. My Garmin had dropped into the low 40s at this point, and the wind was moving pretty good.

I've only done Joplin once, and I didn't have a great time. I was on my hardtail, but it was very challenging. Usually I like challenging myself and getting better, but I was starting to second guess my decision making at this point. In my solace of riding to the peak behind the pack, I had a good amount of time to think about what I should do. In the end, I decided that I should turn around at the peak and go back down the way I came. I know that route, I've ridden it solo before a number of times. Bypassing UHJ means that there is very little risk of injury, and I knew that the sun had a better chance of warming things up on that route than Joplin.

I also wondered how I was going to break the news to the guys; but in the end I'm probably too honest for my own good and just told them the truth. The weather was breaking me, I'm not prepared enough for the cold/wind, and if something goes wrong on Joplin, I'm going to be in a bad spot. Yes, we were in a group and everyone would have helped, but ultimately my own safety rests on me. Why would I want to endanger the group because I was under-prepared for the weather. Oh ya, and the threat of rain was growing by the minute.

12392032_10153746235396257_4415136828815615351_n.jpg
    At the peak; it was colder than it looks, but it looks pretty cold all the same.

By the time I said goodbye to the guys, I was bitterly cold everywhere but my legs, heh. I started back down MD and had JUST enough feeling in my fingers to still feel the brake levers, but that was about it. Decending LHJ on the weekends is fraught with traffic, and it was no different with 3 or 4 different groups of people (all above the falls, oddly enough). So I went at a very safe pace and just enjoyed the feeling coming back to my extremities and the trails :)

I got back to the truck, was verbally assaulted by a Turkey, and then off I went.

Ultimately, I'm glad I went, and I'm glad I bailed when I did. I missed spending more time with the guys who came out, but I was happy with the time I did have.

mtnbikej, herzalot, abuck55 and 21 others like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Couple of things:

1. Santiago Peak is always colder than it is supposed to be
    2. Main Divide IS quicker and easier than HAB up UHJ
    3. Cold Weather tolerance is different for everyone....but layers are the name of the game. Since you carry a pack, you can always bring more than you think you need.
    4. Know your limits....nothing wrong with taking the safe way out.
    5. I can't clean that last section of MD to the Peak either.

Other than that....nice ride.

5. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Where do I begin??...

It was the most difficult decision I had to make; ride w my IMTB brothas or ride w my man and our DH buds? I had to chose my man bc that's what I do.

I knew I'd be missing making memorable memories but I also knew how HARD that ride would be - neither Shitty or I were up to such a ride. Last time I rode Main Divide from Holy Jim to the Peak was w my BFF Royster. Had I not loved him I would have KILLED him!! That was the first ride I came close to sitting down and crying it hurt so bad...

I applaud ALL of you - you make me proud to call you my brothers!!

Mikie, I especially feel badly bc I let you down and I knew I would and for that I AM TRULY SORRY. I love you man, you know that. :inlove:

Mike is another man I cherish. We don't always see eye to eye but the respect for one another is tenfold.

Ross and Cisco: I really wanted to meet you and show off my skills for being a "girl". :laugh:

I will make it up to your end of town before the year ends. I look forward to your hospitality ...

6. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Excellent reports from Mikie and Cougar!
    Cougar-good call on your part. If you ever have any doubts, there's always another ride.

mtnbikej:
    1. Yes!
    2. I know that now...
    3. Brought my rain jacket-did not regret it
    4. Yes!
    5. I stomped those baby heads like they were grapes! ( get plenty of practice on the Mt Wilson Toll Rd)

Don't forget Knucklebuster-Dave. He hung tough until UHJ got the best of him. Good to meet you Dave! Hope to ride with you again sometime.

Nice ride, indeed.

hill^billy, mike, UPSed and 6 others like this.
  7. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Yes indeed but Dave knows it's a given - I've ridden w that boy more than I can count. I am aware of his issues, I applaud him too!!

Cougar!!: We will ride together if you'd like. I talk :poop: but it's all in fun - never take me serious. I was looking forward to riding w you for the first time, however, I would have been sweeping w Dave bc we just hang together that way, since day one. :thumbsup:

mike, Faust29, Cougar and 2 others like this.
  8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Fantastic ride and RR! I mentioned elsewhere I was thinking about it, but sickness got in the way.
    Maybe it's good, as I think I would have been in over my skill set a bit!

mike and Mikie like this.
  9. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Dave IS the Man. Love that guy and his humor. I don't know any details, but I can say this, to climb Lower Holy Jim healthy is one thing...
    ...but to climb and NOT be feeling spicy, is a true mountain biker. Knuckle's is a true mountain biker.
    Feel better fast my brothah! It was so awesome to see you and steal a handshake and a big hug, my friend!

10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I am a dum-azz.
    I brought my GoPro on a chesty and didn't wear it. I hate wearing it there. I need to get a good helmet mount on the side of my new helmet. Joplin is an eye opener for a lot of folks. Especially if your goal is to clean it and not walk it. If you love the supah-chunk steep and fast you will love Joplin. Capturing it on a GoPro without it looking like some jumbled static is another thing. It's rough and fun!

11. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Mikie gives the BEST bearhugs! And not bad at RRs either, you raised the bar again on this one:thumbsup:
    Ross and Cisco, it was great meeting you, Ross you had me laughing from the start, hope we can ride again soon. Good to ride with Craig again too, but I think I've been seeing too much of Mike lately :eek:

I was really looking forward to this ride, but dang, something just sucked all the energy out of me. Thought I'd do fine having felt good on the Trabuco/Yeager ride with Mike the other day. And felt good at the start but headed downhill the farther uphill we got. For me the hike up UHJ is way harder than main divide, felt like one step up, and slide 2 feet back, throw the bike up 2 feet, fall down... I was pretty done about half way up and when the weather started in I knew it safer for all to let you guys go and me head home.

Good times guys, and thanks for the props, but I do want a re-do one of these days! :thumbsup:

herzalot, Tom the Bomb, mike and 8 others like this.
  12. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Man really sorry I missed out on this adventure but I had to say farewell to a very long time friend yesterday. Sounds as though I may have been in a bit over my head but there's only one way to find out. @Mikie breaking your bike on the trail is one thing but breaking it by driving in to the garage door is a whole nuther thing and I'm sure glad you didn't scrunch it. Next trip down we'll carpool and I can teach you some new 4 letter words in the LA traffic. Great ride reports and pics guys.

herzalot, hill^billy, mike and 3 others like this.
  13. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Post some stuff out in your neck of the woods, and I might make the drive depending on the wife :)

mike, ridinrox and Mikie like this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Great reports... Sounds like everyone found some fun, even if they cut it shorter than planned. @Mikie - The Carl's you stopped at is about 100 yards from my house. Shopping sucks, but I couldn't ignore the wife on this one. There would have been no living to ride another day. :thumbsdown:

As punishment, I went and climbed Cadillac this morning- mostly on foot. Only 18 fools have done it this year! :bang:

15. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    That's a good ride and looks like you all had a lot of fun. Thanks for the report/pictures and the invite. Cursing Jim!!! I wanted to go to this but already had overlapping plans. If it were Sunday I might have joined you. I took a crew up Joplin down HJ once just for bragging rights. My friends hate me.

16. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Good job Mikie, Big elevation in such a short ride , you guys rocked it. Hope Dave and Cougar are ok. I feel the same karma Mikie. Nothing like trusted friendship!

17. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Sweet report! Sure is alot of apoligies and explaining about stuff. Goes to show this place has alot of respect, and does feel like family, feels good ! Coug> while reading through your report I was thinking there is no apology needed, when somebody turns around, it is usually for good reason, some days are good and some days are not so good, mostly everybody here has experienced it, whatever that may be, nothing short of falling off the edge. One thing I learned real fast though, when you ride with Mikie and the likes of Ross, or anyone else they roll with it ain't gonna be easy, in the end its always fun! Sorry I missed it!
    Rox>I don't have to meet you to know you can roll with the best.

Mikie> you get the suffer award for that commute! OUCH! Yah I guess you ARE A REAL MOUNTAIN BIKER!

rossage, Cisco Roots, mike and 8 others like this.
  18. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Joplin one of the best out there!

mike, rossage and Mikie like this.
  19. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    That was beautiful Mikie....

Mikie, rossage, mike and 1 other person like this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    Great report Mikie - well worth the wait! Perhaps the coolest thing about the adventure is that each rider assessed his state of being and made the most responsible decision for himself and for the group. Usually, peer pressure - perceived or otherwise - causes the individuals in a group to do dumber (and braver?) things than they would by themselves. Sounds like everyone pushed his limits, yet still knew when to roll off the throttle, pull the ripcord, come up for air or (insert your own cliche).

@rossage - it's only been a short period of time since you went ass-over-tea-kettle down the mountain into the helicopter. Major props to you for recovering enough to do this ride, and for metering out your recovery to get to this point.

@Mikie, I am glad your Yeti survived your morning brain-fart, even if your roof rack looks a little worse for wear.

So what's my excuse for not joining this ride? My present state of fitness and commitment limits me to under 3500' of climbing. No sense being an anchor from the start.

21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Thanks for the good words, herz.

I'll throw this out there... I think it's totally legit to join for just part of these big up-down ST affairs. It's a no-lose situation; wherever you turn back, you're gonna be getting the goods. The only issue might be breaking the buddy system, but most everyone who considers heading up these trails can behave enough to get back to the car in one piece. It's only a sentimental loss when a team member turns back. Everything else about it is all good....riding bikes with friends and having fun.

If it's a ride I've posted, there will be no dropping or sandbagging. If there is a need for any pace for safety reasons, I'll state that at the onset. Otherwise, anyone is welcome to join up for as much as they want to do, because I know y'all know yourselves well enough. Just hit the brakes a little, dismount, head back down – whatever. It's not very tough to stay out of trouble unless one starts thinking there is actual safety in numbers (which is human nature).

Stay psyched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Is the top mount no good?

Mikie likes this.
  23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Hey Scottay,
    I found the most stable camera position is the side of the helmet right at eye level. I just put a camera mount on my new Bell full face and it works pretty smooth...

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  24. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Cool, but did you try the top?

Mikie likes this.
  25. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yes Sir. I found the vid to be a bit more shakey. It could be that my helmet fit too loose...

Tom the Bomb and scottay like this.
  26. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Or your bobble head!

ridinrox likes this.
  27. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Dang. So sad I missed this ride, but we were having a party that day and I was getting set up. Last two weeks of December are always tough... I had to limit my rides to sneaking away for an hour or three at most.

Thanks for sharing the great RR! My first summit of Santiago I took this route... and was alone with the ladybugs on Joplin :)

Mikie, Cougar and herzalot like this.
  28. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Whenever I am having a bad day at work, I read this ride report. :) Today is one of those days. Thanks for the site Mikie!

Oaken, mike, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    @StrandLeper Here's to better days! Like this weekend when you're on your spokes :thumbsup:

StrandLeper and herzalot like this.
  30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    @StrandLeper Pssst...Holy Avenger solo run tomorrow AM. Same route as described here: HJ parking > up HJ/Main Divide > down Upper Joplin to MD to Joplin to Cadillac to HJ parking.

Driving out to the parking area is optional. You can start at the wash and pedal up to HJ parking, then have a quicker spin on Trabuco Creek Rd ("the county road") back to the wash from the bottom of Caddy.

The light precip intermittently today will make everything just right tomorrow. Anyone welcome to join this medium-tough ride – have bike repair essentials, some lungs/legs, and tech descending and/or dismounting skills. A snack before the descent and safety check at Old Camp is my plan. Optional summit tag on Santiago, just a short distance from the top of UJ.

I'll be starting at the lot – yellow Santa Cruz, white/orange helmet (as in Mikie's pics above). Time negotiable, but thinking 8am.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?