Holy Jim to Trabuco with Extra Credit

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Faust29, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Relive: https://www.relive.cc/view/1426292534

Rolled from the Taco Plaza at 7:00 into the chilly canyon... 32 at the coldest spot. The Trabuco wash was pleasant as ever- 5 miles of washboard. :gag: But, it was over soon enough and we joined the hikers leaving from the Holy Jim parking lot. Passed quite a few people on the way up... All friendly.

The dams have been numbered with spray paint, probably by the demolition crew. @mike . Not sure when that is going to happen.

After the falls turnoff, the trail gets steep and loose. The rut is starting to come back in the center of the tread and it's filled nicely with golf ball sized rocks. One of us had no issue clearing everything. The other was sucking wind for the 4.5 miles that average 485 feet per mile. Yeah... This climb always kills me. Sometimes I can muscle through the switchbacks. Sometimes not. Today was a "not". :p Thankfully it gets slightly easier once above the switchbacks. And even better was the role reversal later in the ride. :whistling:

Main Divide had some hikers, and we did our duty and pointed one of them towards Upper Holy Jim. The sign at the base is gone, and it's really easy to miss if you don't know where it is...

And... Here's where the extra credit comes in. Indian Truck Trail has been on my list since summer 2016, when it kicked my ass on a 10,000 foot death march. 100 degrees, and hunting for shade every 50 feet as I crawled up it. Today, it was 40s at the top, 60s by the bottom, 70 when we started back up, and 40s at the top. :confused: 7 miles total and 2300 feet, but the climbing occurs in 5 miles. :gag: If you were to set me down there blindfolded, I would swear I was in Big Bear.

Apparently the bike of choice for ITT is a 50 pound e-bike... We were passed by 8 of them headed up when we were headed down. Full face helmets and all. I joked that they were doing ITT as an out and back. I was right... We passed them again later on our way back up. Full face helmets and all. o_O

Don't do it! The climb isn't that bad!
    IMG_2098.jpg

Nice beaver...
    IMG_2099.jpg

Looking down on the other side...
    IMG_2100.jpg

About 1/2 mile from the bottom of ITT is a new baseball park with cold water and extra credit... It still amazes me that our first available water stop was on the other side of the mountain. :confused:

Cool park... @mtnbikej in skate mode
    IMG_2106.jpg

ITT is a ball buster... Mile 1 starts out easy with a quick 400 feet. Then mile 2 kicks you in the teeth with about 550-600 feet of gain. We didn't walk, but it was damn close. Miles 3-5 get slightly easier, but there isn't a straight section longer than 100 feet. And around every corner is a ball buster climb. For 5 of the 7 miles back to Main Divide. One of us was feeling pretty lousy at this point. Something about a week and a half off the bike. The other was kind and encouraging the whole way. :whistling:

Looking up at Santiago Peak and Coldwater Trail
    IMG_2118.jpg

Once back up on Main Divide, we made our way for the 6ish miles to Trabuco, including the wall, which has been torn up since we were through there with @UPSed two weeks ago. Unreal... It looks like the Jeeps have been spinning their tires from top to bottom. We were hoping that the water cache was still at the top of West Horsethief. It was... Several gallon jugs as well as a 5 gallon reserve. Thank you, Anonymous Trail Angel. :thumbsup:

Made it to Trabuco at mile 34 and 7400 feet... 4+ miles on rocky Trabuco and then 5 miles of passing cars down the wash. All together- over 3000 feet down. My legs were ready to go downhill. So was my bottom bracket. @herzalot cursed us all. It's time for a replacement before True Grit. It got louder with every pedal stroke today. :thumbsdown:

Trabuco is awesome. Fast and twisty up top, with some rocks, roots and a fallen tree or two. The scree is extra plentiful and deep. No pictures of that section... Go see it for yourself.

Regroup before the scree...
    IMG_2120.jpg

Tacos and burritos at Los Primos.

Nerdball Stuff:

Unknown.png

Untitled 2.jpg

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    When I do Extra Credit, it's Cattle Pond in Whiting (75'?) or one of the side trails off the main fireroad in Aliso (50'?). Maybe Mark's Bench. Figures your extra credit would be a substantial single-day ride for me. 7 miles. 2300'. Really...
    I hate you both.

And nice little ride. :confused: :bang:

3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Stout ride and nice report. :thumbsup: Good work, guys. :notworthy:

I posted all I heard from FS on the dams on the CNF conditions thread. Nothing new in awhile. Thx for the field info. :thumbsup:

Mikie, HBkites, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yeah, so we went out for a morning ride in the Santa Ana's today. After dealing with temps in the mid 20's yesterday, we agreed on a bit of a later start.

I'll preface this by saying I have been working 2nd shift the last 2 weeks which means (1:30-10:00pm), but I have also been working normal 6-1:30pm jobs....so I hadn't been riding my bike. Throw into that getting sick, I wasn't able to ride on the weekends. It sucks. I swept the last lap at Non Dot Casper's yesterday and thought I was gonna die. Committing to today's ride was pushing it.

It was cold as we dropped down to Trabuco Creek Rd. We weren't fast going up, it was cold, and I was trying not to sweat until it would warm up. Ditched the jacket at the HJ trailhead. Again, heading up we weren't quick, but we did just keep moving.

After we passed the turn for the Falls, it did warm up a bit. Yeah, one of us cleans all the switchbacks. I'll admit I wasn't feeling great even early on. We have been up LHJ enough times, while not an easy climb....it does go by in not too much time.

Once on Main Divide, it's only a few minutes to Indian Truck Trail. Now I have been up ITT a few times, I have never ridden down it. Decided that since we were just doing an out and back, I'd leave my extra bottle at the top and lighten things up a bit. It was brisk, so threw the jacket on. ITT is not straight....anywhere. Plus I don't know the trail, so going down I never could really get into a flow. It didn't take long to reach the bottom, where it was much warmer. Water refill at the Sports Park. On the way out, I did spot the skate park and since it was open and empty, we rolled in. Couple of fun little features to play on.....definitely not designed for 29" wheels.

From there we started the climb back up ITT. Now it was warming up quite a lot. Not hot like the last time, but since you are completely exposed...toasty. It didn't take long for my lack of riding to rear it's ugly head. It doesn't help that the road is steep. @Faust29 would pull away from time to time. I backed off and just tried to settle into a comfortable pace. By the time we got up into the tree line, it had cooled back down, and my legs were pretty toast.

Once back on Main Divide, yeah...I wasn't looking forward to the ride over to Trabuco. I knew how I felt, and how far we had to go. I was glad when we reached the Wall, as I was able to walk and not feel bad about it. However, even this wasn't easy. One foot in front of the other....the walk up the Wall felt like it took forever.

Once past the Wall I was able to get into a comfortable pace. Main Divide did seem much more torn up than usual. Maybe I was just tired. We made it to the top of Trabuco...I was happy that I didn't have to walk any of the other climbs. About this point everything was hurting and my back was tightening up.

We dropped into Trabuco....again, I just couldn't get any rhythm. Trabuco is still fun...I was still having a blast, but I was much slower than usual. Trabuco as well also seemed way more chunky than usual.

Strong headwind heading out of Trabuco Creek Rd. Put your head down and pedal. It is over before you know it. Short road spin back to the start and tacos.

So yeah, not one of my better outings, but I needed it.

Good times.
    IMG_3551.jpg IMG_3553.jpg IMG_3554.jpg

5. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Nice one guys!:thumbsup: That's a great loop.

Ever consider going down Coldwater and up ITT?

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Tree on a mountain... :thumbsup:

E9DA8C93-E185-484C-B927-FA77A9244FFB.jpeg

7. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Nope. Never. :whistling: :oops:

Mikie, mike, mtnbikej and 1 other person like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I've done Coldwater a few times.....I have no desire to ride it again. There is also an access issue at the bottom.

Mikie, doublewide, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    CW terminates at private property, so no way to connect it with ITT legally. I've been loose in the past, but I'm going Fight Club. :)

Mikie, littlewave, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.