Holy Jim to Santiago Peak Two-Hour Club

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, Feb 5, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I'm not a racer nor competitive, but I like self-challenges like the Cholla Five-Minute Club. I took that thinking a little farther and have casually been trying to chip away at my time to Santiago via HJ from the trail gate in hope of breaking two hours. (Without much success yet.)

I'm sure there are numerous mutants among us who could do this handily. Probably everyone I've ridden a long ride with. I bring up the rear on every group ride climb, and do not train in any way specifically for this other than having fun riding. A look on Strava would probably yield much depressing data, so I'll leave my cherry intact there. I belted out ±2:12 three different times. More recently I got my trail bike up there in ±2:16. That surprised me because I rode the day before and I was barely moving up the last steeps of fire road. A glimmer of hope?

Those are going to be some hard minutes to shave, but I'll keep trying. A fun aspect on this run is seeing how many switchbacks (and other terrain problems) you can clean going up.

No dick measuring, just good fun against oneself. So far, I'm not winning...

bvader, Faust29, kioti and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hah!
    No posted STRAVA no proof! Ha hah!
    Seriously, we gotta have goals like that to challenge us like that.
    I think it's awesome! Is this always a solo attack, or do you hit with a bud so you challenge each other?

I always do better when I'm competing with a buddy, actually we both do.

Keep driving it Mike! You gonna do it!

Mikie

Faust29, kioti, mike and 1 other person like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Right on, Mikie. :thumbsup:

I don't push myself when I'm riding with others; it's always a solo mission. This could be the season for two hour Santiago...if not, the fun is a decent consolation :geek:

DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and kioti like this.
  4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  5. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I know this is an old thread but it got me to thinking...

The saddest part is that I think it would be easier/faster to hike this route than to ride it. It's less than 8 miles from the gates to the peak... a fast two hour hike. I don't think I could approach two hours on a bike... not by a long shot. The only time I did this ride (peak via the back route via HJ) it was right after the 2010 storm and I was moving at a slow pace taking pictures and having to cross rockslides, etc. It took me three hours! (Though I did start at the bottom of Cadillac and was doing the Joplin loop so I wasn't really interested in trying to power up the climb)

main-divide-1_2011.jpg

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I don't think I could hit 2 hours on that one... My fastest up Holy Jim from the trailhead chasing @mtnbikej is 1:11:xx. 49 minutes from there to the peak... Not likely for me with that rocky section to contend with.

I usually prefer the hike up Upper Holy Jim. It's slower, but the views are the best in the forest.

7. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    What happened to your old Trek Fuel EX? Are the chainstays still intact by chance?

mike likes this.
  8. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, it's in great shape. It's hanging on the ceiling of my garage atm - I normally ride my 29er now unless I am riding Joplin or going to Aliso.

herzalot, DangerDirtyD and mike like this.
  9. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I believe that was the last year they made their frames in the US...

DangerDirtyD and mike like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Well since I hate that segment.....I'll never push to break the 2hr barrier.

Faust29, herzalot, mike and 1 other person like this.
  11. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Are you talking the gate by the houses? Well past the HJ parking lot?

I've only gone to the peak that way once. About three times I've done HJ to Main Divide. Pretty sure I haven't broken 2 hours just to MD.
    That trail is just steep enough to be really hard for me.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?