hitch installing

Discussion in 'Bike Racks' started by scan, Oct 16, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Trying to find a good place/price for installing on a Prius. I have a "concealed" type hitch from what I'm told requires some drilling. I don't want to do it myself (don't want to screw it up:gag:). If you know of a good place (not Uhaul) lemme know. I'm in the Rancho/upland/ontario area. Thx!!

Mikie likes this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @scan
    I would try U-Haul before anyone. There prices seem very reasonable. In fact, I have only gone to U-Haul for reciever hitch installations...

3. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Check out the Hitch Depot in Monrovia.

Mikie likes this.
  4. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    hey Mikey I said not u Haul in my original question because you have to buy their hitch, not the one I want .

Mikie likes this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Look on Etrailer.com

They should have an installation video on your vehicle. Then you can see whether or not you really need to pay someone to do it or not.

I installed both the receivers on my wife's VW's. It took some time, the Golf requires most of the rear end to be removed. But at the end of the day, it was still just a bolt in installation.

Have you looked at other reciever options....perhaps there is one that does not require drilling.

Just a thought.

Mikie, OTHRider and rossage like this.
  6. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I used etrailer.com too and got a bolt on hitch for my wife's Sienna. Great installation instructions and I finished the job in about 45min.

Mikie likes this.
  7. Racer X

Racer X Member

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Kona Explosif
    I don't know what year your car is but on the 2013 Prius, it looks relatively easy. It looks like just one bolt is hard to reach but if your have a proper tool, it can be tightened fine.

Like your fear, I didn't want to screw things up to when I installed one on my car (not a Prius). I had to remove old brackets, push the exhaust over to one side and drill to enlarge a hole. I had no help and had to balance the damn thing with my leg while installing bolts. I also installed a wire harness for lights if I ever tow a trailer (came with the hitch kit). It took me about an hour and I surprised myself by doing it and I saved the installation cost.

2013 Prius Installation

https://www.etrailer.com/vm/Toyota/Prius/hitch

When I called around, most places only wanted to install what they sell or would charge way too much for installation.

Look up the installation instructions for the hitch you bought then look for a video. Sometimes, youtube is useful...

Mikie likes this.