Hillbilly's Back!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Maddog, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    After enduring some health issues, intense job demands and the purchase of a brand new truck :thumbsup: it's time to declare that Hillbilly is back to his previous riding prowess! He may argue that point but after today's ride I believe it to be an accurate assessment! The most obvious sign was that H^B was being quite the chatter-box on the climbs despite the altitude-induced oxygen debt! I can barely grunt when climbing but H^B was cracking me and @LLPoolJ up with his commentary on a wide spectrum of subjects! On the downhills, he left us in the dust!

Here's the ride. After waking up at the wee hour of 8:30 a.m.:sleep: today, I had a King Arthur and the Holy Grail vision of today's ride. So I texted H^B and told him to bring his tailgate pad and I tossed mine into my truck. That's right; it's shuttle time! Got to Jackson Lake and there was JJ with his truck! For the first time in recorded history I fought the urge to plan out the elusive triple truck shuttle since we were starting a bit late. So we loaded up in H^B's truck and headed to Inspiration Point. We pedaled to the top of Blue Ridge Trail and enjoyed that great descent. Only about 6 hikers so we didn't have to stop much. The trail is in great shape but dusty like every trail in SoCal is now!

Since the forest service has put a big water pipe in the middle of Faultline Trail, we coasted down Big Pine Hwy to the charming Leprechaun Trail. This is where H^B really took off! We saw him briefly at the limbo log and then not until the junction of the Lion's Camp Trail! He was smokin'! Then up the .5 mile shorter and much shadier :cool: climb through the camp back to the lake.

We started the climb up the road from the lake when we met up with @scan and his buddy Ron as they were finishing up their early ride. JJ and H^B continued the climb up Ricky Bobby but I took the easier climb on the jeep road:thumbsup:. It was then I became concerned about the accumulating smoke hovering over the trees; lots of it:gag:! When I left my house in the morning, there was a huge cloud of smoke over the whole valley but it was clear when I started towards the lake off 138. That cloud had engulfed the ridges over the lake when we arrived at the bottom of Boy Scout. I could smell it and when the other dudes showed up we decided to bail on the ride rather than breathe in smoke for the next 3 mile climb. Disappointing but we still bombed down Ricky Bobby to the lake to finish a great but abbreviated ride! Gotta go now but I'll post up some pics later! Thanks for the ride boys!:inlove:
    @scottay discovers our brilliant shuttle plan and wishes he would've thought of that!
    IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG
    H^B working out a cramp in helper finger!
    IMG_1245.JPG
    JJ enjoying the shady, paved climb!
    IMG_1247.JPG
    Some smoky shots. Compare to the 1st pic. The sky was that clear and blue at the lake when we started!
    IMG_1248.JPG

IMG_1250.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    B.D.T.
    ‘Bout Damn Time!

It’s important to understand that the universe has a balance and that balance must be maintained. @hill^billy is a part of that balance. When I joined STR back in 2011 Dougie and I connected immediately in relation to the Acton Trail. We had that in common. That’s when I became a member of the infamous dirtbags led by @Daddy Dirtbag himself!

Glad to get this WONDERFUL news! Way to get him out there @Maddog, and awesome that @LLPoolJ got in on the action! :thumbsup:

Glad you guys connected with @scan and Rocket Ron!

Looking forward to some pics-O-proof! :sneaky:

3. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 7
    Great to see you out there @hill^billy , laughing it up, giving each other a hard time!!! I knew Ron and I would run into you guys, expecting to see you as we were coming down Boy Scout. As it turned out we just saw you as we were about to drop into the J lake parking lot.
    Well the early birds got the clearer air today:whistling:. Always great running into other Hooligans, @Maddog and @LLPoolJ .

IMG_20180804_114800.jpg

MVIMG_20180804_084221.jpg

IMG_20180804_091745.jpg

4. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ Well-Known Member

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    Awesome day. Doug has my pump hostage. He is gonna have to ride with me again soon.

5. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Ahhh, Shucks! Thanks for the report and kind words, fells good to feel good! When it’s good savor every moment, when it goes a south keep the head up and try to make it better! If you are blessed with another chance, change it. And remember you are never out of the woods completely. Savoring yesterdays ride, and trying not to think about leaving my new Bell helmet and perscription reading glasses in the parking lot! So somebody get’s better vision, and get’s a new helmet! :cry:

Tom the Bomb, scan, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  6. hill^billy

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66

7. LLPoolJ

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    Forgetful we were. Had a great time pal.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Maddog and 3 others like this.
  8. hill^billy

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    AAHHH SHUCKS! Again, thank you for the kind words, and for this site that we all know you do a OUTSTANDING JOB on with your personal Mikie Watson touch. I have to hand it to you, that you , and of course all of the posters here have created a desireable vibe to get away from the :poop: vibe we seem to have to endure on a regular basis. Not even a question whether or not you will be on the trail again, and we will be savoring it together with new higher appreciation and stoke! Thanks Mikie!

scan, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  9. hill^billy

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Damn! Now alzhiemers lurks in those woods and is coming to get me?

scan, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  10. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    I was dumbfounded and gobsmacked.....
    I did see a big Bobcat on the climb out of the resort. First time seeing one up there.

And I finally realized why there is a segment named "Santa I need a Margarita".

scan, Tom the Bomb, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  11. LLPoolJ

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    I have that also. Lol

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Maddog and 2 others like this.
  12. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Here's another pic that got left out somehow last night. Must be the alzheimer's:confused:! My 2 riding mates at the top of Blue Ridge.

IMG_1240.jpg

scan, Tom the Bomb, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Love the joy in that pic!
    Thanks for not leaving it out @Maddog !

scan, Tom the Bomb, Maddog and 2 others like this.
  14. LLPoolJ

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    Maddog 100% correct abot the smoke. Yosemite fire was the culprit. Brother was in Vegas Golfing and he said it was the same there.

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, Maddog and 2 others like this.
  15. hill^billy

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    To bad it had to be two separet rides Fran, good to see you.

Mikie, scan, Tom the Bomb and 2 others like this.
  16. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Those are some bizarre wind currents to bring all that smoke down here! And a massive fire as well to produce that much smoke. Hope they can get them all out soon!

Mikie, scan, hill^billy and 1 other person like this.