Hello everyone! I ride an ebike, but I swear I'm not an enemy.

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Frank, Mar 3, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    this seems unfair. I’m prepared to take Frank’s post at face value-an honest attempt at looking for places to ride and people to ride with. But the only honest answer to “where can I ride near Eastvale?” is “Skypark, the bike path, or nowhere.” And saying it that way would probably come off worse than just posting a popcorn meme.

Faust29, Derek13, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  2. Frank

Frank Member

Name:
    Frank Fontanilla
    Current Bike:
    Haibike SDuro, Scott Aspect 29
    Everyone. I ride in Chino Hills, Fullerton Loop, Skyline Drive Trail, Marshall Canyon and Cherry Canyon. All of the locations are ebike friendly. I'm nowhere near an elitist. In fact I admire the Sh!t out of folks who constantly kick that ass on a people powered bike. Until my knees start to behave and I can get in better shape, I will continue to ride my ebike so I can enjoy the trails as well. Mikie, I did not mean to ignore your advice but I wanted to be upfront with who I am and what I do. I'm a big boy. I can take the hits:)

Erik H, ~JB~, konakc and 10 others like this.
  3. Frank

Frank Member

Name:
    Frank Fontanilla
    Current Bike:
    I'm not good enough for Skypark and the bike path is a friend of mine!

Mikie, Danimal, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  4. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    :Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao

Mikie, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Cherry Canyon is not e-bike friendly and it is clearly posted so. Here we go... :rolleyes:

6. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    You need to fix your bike. If you are getting "horrible knee pain" from a non-impact exercise, your bike is set up improperly. I was a long-term distance trail runner who started mountain biking to ALLEVIATE knee pain.

That said, no one here hates e-bikes. What we hate is motorized bikes on non-motorized trails. Like when @DangerDirtyD takes his tame mountain lion back into Whiting Ranch and doesn't keep it on a leash and it starts stealing peoples' backpacks.

Faust29, ~JB~, konakc and 10 others like this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Of course your good enough for Skypark. Everyone is good enough for Skypark. Easy climb, Skill level options. Have you been there? I suggest you have not been there.

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    At the risk of coming off as “elitist" or “hater”:

I don’t like electrified contraptions, no matter where they ride. Thanks to the people who want to make money off irrepressible and entitled convenience seekers, the definition of bicycle has been co-opted and bastardized. But not in my mind. A bicycle, with no exceptions, doesn’t have a non-human motor. The end forever. But the shift in popular thinking has impacted my riding experience – not for the better.

Any devotees of these contraptions: Don’t take it personally. It’s not about you. It’s about anyone who tries to pass off a moto as a bicycle. Or anyone that doesn’t care and rides said contraption where it’s prohibited.

Dear injured, busted up, or whatever your condition or excuse: I can’t relate. I’ve passed on or curtailed activities I used to do avidly because of physical limitations. When I can’t pedal a bicycle anymore I’ll do the same thing: recognize my time is done, move on with dignity, let my fellow enthusiasts take the baton.

Local trail knowledge I will share with those willing to pedal.

This site is about human-powered recreation. That’s why I’m here. Want to talk about motorized recreation? We have a car thread here, so why not a moto thread, I anecdotally ask myself. I digress... New guy puts so-called "e-bikes" in the faces of the like-minded riders here who don’t do motors. That’s an obtuse and self-centered move, to my thinking. You came in here like a troll against the sound advice of the owner and try to justify something we are fundamentally opposed to and prefer to not focus on. For that you are the enemy, not for what you do in your spare time that we don't care about.

Where is the bio that we are supposed to read?

9. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

@mike Elitist? Hater? Nah, I’ve met ya, purist is what comes to mind. Most of the time when I remember I put in this (PPP) in my Strava heading meaning pure pedal power. Something to be said for it and worth mentioning I think.

10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @mike would never take on the title elitist! Agreed, I would say purist. There are plenty of sites out there with rage on battles related to eBikes. I'm not exactly sure why anyone would want to come to a site like this other than for mountain biking.
    I hate that we sound or appear so "snobbish" related to motorized vehicles. But we have chosen our mode of shred, and that shred is bicycles. It's who we be...

11. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Do I have permission to eat popcorn now?

giphy.gif

12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm already on my second tub!

herzalot, tick, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  13. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    IMG_9701.gif

14. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    I doubt that e-bikes are allowed in Marshall Canyon as I believe it is managed by LA Co Parks and Rec.

Per 5.1.4 of the LA Co Trails Manual:

In addition: • Access for motorized vehicles on trails is limited to authorized vehicles, such as County maintenance vehicles and emergency response vehicles (County Code 17.04.370 and 17.04.1170) • Motorized vehicles are restricted to designated parking areas and paved public roads • Unauthorized motorized vehicles are prohibited, including dirt bikes and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) (Ordinance Code 17.04)

Nowhere that I can find does it specify e-bikes but they are clear about motorized vehicles which I assume covers it. Multi-use trails are limited to hikers, equestrians and mountain bikers (5.1.2).

https://trails.lacounty.gov/Files/D... Trails Manual (Revised 06-20-13) RS 2016.pdf

Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  15. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    "It's not a motor, it's pedal-assist!"

Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  16. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Makes me think of this

17. Frank

Frank Member

Name:
    Frank Fontanilla
    Current Bike:
    I have only ridden in the fire roads in the La Canada Flintridge areas. We rode in front of a ranger and he said nothing about my bike. There is no signage regarding ebikes on the entrance we use. Only been there twice.

Sassyquatch, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  18. Frank

Frank Member

Name:
    Frank Fontanilla
    Current Bike:
    Knee pain flares up if I put stress on it especially on steep climbs and descents. It's difficult for me to stand on rough or steep descents as my knees feel very unstable and as I try to correct them, the pain starts.

Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  19. Frank

Frank Member

Name:
    Frank Fontanilla
    Current Bike:
    You are right sir. I have not yet been to Skypark as I have no idea how to even get there. Only what Ive seen on youtube (MTBAlan and The Outsider). I would love to explore for sure if there are trails that I can handle.

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  20. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Body surfing?

Danmtchl, Sasquatch9billion and Mikie like this.
  21. Frank

Frank Member

Name:
    Frank Fontanilla
    Current Bike:
    Well an ebike is still somewhat "human powered" as it certainly won't go anywhere without a human pedaling. The motor is an upgrade to the bike. But I digress. I'm not here to talk technology. Just wanted to see if I can learn anything from vets like yourself about better riding techniques and maybe add to the trails that I can go on. Not here to argue or spew hate but if you want to be a true purist, get rid of your suspension and lighter components as well as your carbon fiber frame and bomb down the trails in your Lawill Cruiser or circa 80's StumpJumper. You know, like a "real" mountain bike was originally built as.

Sassyquatch, Danmtchl, Redman and 2 others like this.
  22. Frank

Frank Member

Name:
    Frank Fontanilla
    Current Bike:
    Yes. You guys are the experts. Thats why I joined. So I can learn riding technique and trail locations. If I am in the wrong place, then please let me know. I will be happy to just read through as an outsider to keep the peace.

23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    :stop:

mike is one of the most accomplished riders here... And would outride just about anyone on a wal-mart bike.

If I were a lurker and not a contributor, I’d start and end with his rides as reading material...

24. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    You are correct. There is several ways to enter the area and only the main entrance off of Hampstead Road has signage with rules posted.

25. Frank

Frank Member

Name:
    Frank Fontanilla
    Current Bike:
    If I offended anyone, I apologize. That is not my intention. But I am still trying to wrap my head around why I am being vilified because I ride an ebike (not exclusively if I might add). I just came to learn. If this is not the right place, I will leave to keep the peace.

26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'll try...

For a lot of us here... And especially those of us in Orange County, we run into e-bikes on every single ride. And they are not legal on county single tracks. They are also not legal on single tracks in the Cleveland National Forest... Plain and simple. The riders pass the signs with nary a care. Local bike shop owners, local pros, and every joe-shmo seems to feel entitled to defy the rules.

If you ride your e-bike where they are legal, that's fine. No issue, whatsoever. That is not what most of us have seen, though, in real life.

The topic has been discussed to death on here... So our nerves are a little frayed.

Edit: For me , it's also a little personal. I'd love to buy my significant other an e-bike to try. I'm not sure she could bike even with the motor assist. :thumbsdown: Every time we talk about it, though, she nixes the idea because of the legality...

27. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Sorry to hear about knee pain. I've been dealing with it for 2-3 years now on and off. It seems worse on one bike than it does on my hardtail so I suspect the geometry may be part of what is causing it. My ortho surgeon also said it is partly caused by muscle imbalance in the knee, some muscles are stronger than others which pulls the knee movement out of alignment just enough that it causes pain after pedalling for a while. Rehab to strengthen the knee would likely help, if I could find the time. I'd recommend checking in with your doctor and or a PT and they might be able to help. As others have said biking should be a low impact activity on your knees. Best of luck.

Sassyquatch, Danmtchl, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  28. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Right now everyone is concentrating on the Corona Virus. Ozone generators make the air healthy around you. Yeah, it smells funny but it kills airborne virus and bacteria. I used to sit next to a Zerox machine (Xrocks to some) and complained. Someone, an old rocket scientist pointed out that chances are, I will not get sick when the rest of the group passes viruses around. He was right, and ever since I am especially tuned into the detection of Ozone. It is very distinct, you smell it when running a vacuum cleaner. O3 is a short lived compound, it quickly turns into O2 and O. O cannot last and it quickly joins other O's and becomes O2. We must like O2 since 1/5 of our air is this magic gas. And no it does not get you high or cure your hangover. The Hangover wants B12. Of course I have only found one E bike on the trail in gosh 5 years. And I ride most days er nights. So if you are feeling cheated by E bikes you should think about single trac less traveled or try the night. Probably never see another one again.
    happy trails to you

Danmtchl, herzalot, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  29. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Yes, sorry about the pain also. Most of the time pain can be managed, but you must be willing to manage it, it’s a hard one to coral! Whether it’s surgery, rehab, bike fit, or mostly diet which is a major contributor to inflammation! It’s all about chasing it down and making the effort.
    It sounds to me @Frank you have the pain whether or not you ride a bicycle or a motor driven bike, effort is what it takes to make it through to the other side of a better quality of life. I did not say it was easy. Not trying to offend, just some advise.

Danmtchl, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  30. Frank

Frank Member

Name:
    Frank Fontanilla
    Current Bike:
    Thanks for the reply. The only OC trail I have been on is Floop. Partly because it has enough sections included that can be somewhat challenging for me especially on some of the descents and also because I heard they were allowed. I am in no means a pompous law breaker. If I can't ride it on a trail, I simply won't. I joined because I was hoping to see where else I can go aside from Floop and CHSP so I can mix it up a little.