Heart Rate Question

Discussion in 'Health' started by Cornholio, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Cornholio

Cornholio MTB Addict

Name:
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Could have been something you ate....perhaps something with more salt than you are used to.

Could have been the weather....too hot, too humid.

Could be not enough rest/sleep.

Could be stress.

I have had days like that....usually because of one or more of the above.

If it starts happening on a regular basis...is get it checked out.

Sidewalk, bvader, Voodoo Tom and 7 others like this.
  3. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Sounds like an off-day to me. Yesterday I did what I thought was a mild ride yet I suffered and lost 6 lbs of water weight. That is a lot for me. Today I did a similar ride and felt great the whole time and only lost a couple pounds of water weight. To add to what J said the humidity can definitely affect your numbers.

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Agree with @mtnbikej and @UPSed above ^^. At 36, probably just an off day.

However, and not to freak you out, at age 54 I found out I have a bicuspid aortic valve. My heart rate will go higher than it should easier than most, because it's just not as efficient. Personally, if I were you, I'd not worry too much but I'd discuss it with my doc, and let the doc decide whether a referral to cardiology is warranted.

The dizziness/fuzziness was due to lack of oxygen; your heart wasn't able to pump blood fast enough to distribute it.

5. Cornholio

Cornholio MTB Addict

Name:
  6. dustyyoungblood

dustyyoungblood MTB Addict

Name:
    Dustan Baker
    Current Bike:
    Foes Mixer Trail
    First thing I thought reading this was maybe you have a mechanical issue on the bike and were experiencing a lot more resistance then normal but you were trying to carry the same speed on a normal day.

At 41 last year I went in to a cardiologist for a stress test just to be sure. Because getting back into riding, what you described above was a usual occurance for me for 2-3 months. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Turns out nothing was wrong and doc said I way healthy and to reduce effort to "moderate" for a while.

Voodoo Tom, kioti, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  7. UPSed

UPSed MTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    To add since you posted you have psoriatic arthritis it could be a side affect. I have cardiomyopathy and am on a couple of medications. I am not supposed to have a sustained heart rate above 150. I'm 53. Anything heart-related I would definitely recommend seeing a cardiologist.

8. Marty657

Marty657 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    Agree with the above posters. I am coming up fast on 65 and have had similar days like this and it does freak me out. For peace of mind (and make sure you are ok) I would definitely check with a cardiologist. It will make your family happy too. Recently had all the test including stress and every thing checked out so now I do not freak out as before when it happens. Hydration to INCLUDE electrolytes is crucial and easy to overlook. Good luck.

Cornholio, UPSed, Voodoo Tom and 4 others like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 MTB Addict

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    High heart rate, shortness of breath, dizziness... Sounds like a normal day on the single speed. :p

In all seriousness, I'll echo the others and say that off days are common. Medicines, different foods, lack of sleep, caffeine can all have an effect. I think it's a rare day that the stars align, and I feel 100%. Sometimes you just have to deal with how you feel on a given day and adjust accordingly. Back off the pace, walk, throw in the towel, etc...

Also... Any chance the HR monitor wasn't recording accurately?

10. herzalot

herzalot MTB Addict

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    My solution is I never monitor heart rate. Or much of anything else. Probably a bad idea, but it's who I am.

11. Cornholio

Cornholio MTB Addict

Name:
  12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors MTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Here's to it being nothing. ;) I'm pretty sure you just had an off day.

Faust29, mtnbikej and Cornholio like this.
  13. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer MTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    Many variables come into play (many of these have already been mentioned):

*what you ate
    *when you ate
    *how well you slept the night before
    *been sick recently?
    *time of the day
    *moon phase
    *air temp
    *humidity level

...and the list goes on.

Personally, I think today was an "off day" for mankind. Call me crazy if you will. I woke up at 12:30am this morning having just had an acid reflux attack. It actually came up into my mouth and I had to get up and rinse. That messed up my sleep pattern for the rest of the night. I hadn't had an attack in months and that is saying a lot considering the past year or two for me. The amazing thing is that one of my close friends in AZ (and riding buddy) had an attack at 12:30am last night too! :eek: WTF?!

I rode like crap this afternoon. Just wasn't feeling it. Yet, my ride the other day was outstanding. Felt great that day. Every day is different...

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Could be that your body is fighting some bug.....cold/flu/etc.

Faust29 and Cornholio like this.
  15. Sidewalk

Sidewalk MTB Addict

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I'm pretty much with the general consensus. You confirmed your HR with your RPE (how you actually felt). So it wasn't just some number, you actually felt off.

But a lot of people mentioned a lot of potential causes. If it was me, I would give it a day and see how I felt. If I didn't feel bad, then just monitor the condition, take a few days off, then try again. If things don't improve, call the doctor.

As far as the Spot, I do have one. Remember it isn't flawless. It gives you a bail out, if you are conscious enough to use it. Or someone can track and notice you aren't moving, but that can have false alarms, or no alarms. Not a cure all, but it can come in handy. I carry mine any time I am riding solo and people may not know where I am.

16. Cornholio

Cornholio MTB Addict

Name:
  17. dino

dino Member

Name:
    john
    Current Bike:
    ibis mojo 2009

Bad idea.

Before I was only slowing down when starting to see stars while riding. Now I drive with HRM as close to 150 as I can, going below 140 I start pedalling harder, going above 160 slowing down unless it is on a steep climb, getting to 170 I look forward to see if I can get to the top before reaching 180; if I cannot I get off and walk till I get it down to 150 again.

Runs with Scissors and Faust29 like this.