Heart rate monitors

Discussion in 'Health' started by verdugist, Jan 19, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. verdugist

verdugist Guest

just bought wahoo tickr hrm with minimal time of research. Will update thread after usage in a few days. Does everyone use strava via Bluetooth with these devices or other apps?

UPDATE:

Wahoo fitness app logged 1388 calories burned, avg. HR 152, max HR 169 for a 10 miles ride at 10% grade. Standing HR (laying down last nite) 68. Burn is 145 BPM (target required for max fat burn) and Burst is >170BPM (target for short durations to improve speed & performance). I did attempt one ~0.25 mile all-out sprint (low-gear spin) uphill to try to nail max HR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Armstrong

Interesting thing is after importing to Strava, the analysis section for the imported data shows max speed 41.8mph but the Strava app data shows 27.5 mph. This is obviously with the same GPS/iPhone device.

Please post up your resting, avg. and max HR's out of curiosity. thanks.

2. verdugist

verdugist Guest

3. saki

saki Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    bill sakatani
    verdugist you are funny in a good way but your thoughts are all over the place slow down. Iam old ,slow and weak (those are my good points ) but dont worry just ride unless you think you will win the big race

Mikie and verdugist like this.
  4. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    I use that same HRM. Love it. My max HR at age 51 is 194 BPM. (Sad to watch this max go lower over time... Father freaking time).

Resting HR mid 60s. Edit: mid 50s... mid 60s is just sitting around and doing stuff... mid 50s is relaxing and lying down.

Avg HR for 3 hour, 20 mile, 3-4,000 foot ride is 150.

Avg HR for a short (slightly over an hour) training ride at 8 to 9 / 10 effort is 160.

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Ok....that makes me feel better. @ 43 years old, I won't allow my HR to hit 190. Doctor says it's ok to do so, but I don't want it to.

My average HR tends to be on the high side because of the SS, but on less steep rides I can keep it down. However rides with lots of steep climbs just blows it up.

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  6. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    @mtnbikej I went over this with my friend last week (a heart doctor and heart medicine researcher) and he confirmed what your doctor said. Namely, not a problem going to your max as far as heart health is concerned... it will, however, impact your performance on the rest of that ride... and you should allow a bit of recovery for a few days if you spiked to your max a few times during a ride. Recovery does not mean doing nothing, it means keeping your heart in the fat burning zone.

The way that I deal with spiking and recovery is: Wednesday ride has has some max spikes but is shorter (1-2 hours) ... Sunday ride has some max spikes but is longer (at least 2 hours, sometimes 6). Mon, Tue, Thurs rides I keep at or below 130 HR (those are on the trainer, so it is easier to keep the rate constant). Saturdays I usually surf or paddle.

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Wow... You guys run hotter than I do! My average was 130 on last week's 100 miler, with a peak of 175. If I hit 180, it feels like the gaskets are going to blow. I back off when I hit mid to upper 170s. Maybe this is a side effect of all the years being so grossly out of shape?

I got tired of my Garmin chest strap, and picked up a Mio Link last week. It pairs with the Garmin easily, and is a lot more comfortable than the strap. It also works with the iPhone, so I can use the phone to track heart rate when I run on the elliptical...

Edit: The Mio Link is good for about 7 hours, so it did not record the entire ride last weekend... 7 is usually more than enough.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I avg. 142 and maxed at 187 on the Strada. I spent 36 mins the whole day going anaerobic and 3:30 hours at threshold.

I don't have a problem getting into the low 180's.....I just control my breathing and it comes right back down. Maybe I am just used to it....but I don't feel that it drains my battery. I still had plenty of power and energy the last 20 miles on Saturday.

9. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Yea it sucks that my max HR has gone down over the years in addition to recovery time. I wear one just to see where my HR is during a sustained climb, but mostly to keep and eye on my "redline"

10. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Damn, you guys all have hearts like hamsters or something.
    I'm 50 and have been riding and running with HR for a couple of years now.
    Highest I've ever gotten is about 163. (Not too far off from the totally WAG of 220-age for max)
    I don't really pay attention to zones while riding, I'm just recording what happens.

In a 40 min to hour race like Over the Hump or Cyclocross I'll average 148 ish with a max of 153 ish.

On normal road rides I'll average 110ish with some 130-150 depending upon hills.

Most of my running, 136 seems pretty hard, though my last half marathon averaged 144.

Mikie, Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    :confused::confused:
    I noticed... I couldn't figure out why we were picking up the pace at mile 96. o_O:confused::sick:

Of course, now I'm wondering how much farther I could have gone.... What's next? :sick:

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Well that happens towards the end of the rides regardless. :whistling:

I'll have to take you one of my 100 milers. :sneaky: :thumbsup:

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  13. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I'm 50 and average 150 on a hard ride with a max of 190 (hit many rides).

I'm using Apple Watch for my HRM. Very convenient.
    TA

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    @AKAKTM - Is there a way to sync the apple watch HR data with a Garmin?

Mikie likes this.