Has anybody ridden bikes at Jackson Hole?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtbMike, May 7, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Assuming my Whistler trip gets cancelled, we're looking for options and Jackson Hole is on the radar. I've been there several times to snowboard but have never been during the Summer months. Based on my limited research so far, there seems to be plenty of shuttle runs, a small'ish bike park on the mountain and some backcountry rides outside of town over towards Wilson. Day trip over to Targhee/Driggs/Victor are always an option as well.

If you've been there to ride....pipe in with your thoughts. Is there a solid weeks worth of riding to be had? Another bonus for me is rafting is an option there as well. :thumbsup:

Cyclotourist likes this.
  2. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    It has been 20 years and bicycles are much more popular now: the Snake is like the Merced in the Gran Teton, I did a lot of riding in the park. The grassland is very tall and there are many Bison, but they are taller. You end up at some historic cabin that is in many movies. There are many horse trails to ride. All trail riding needs to be steathy. There are trails along the Snake as it turns east at the park south entrance. This end of the park is empty, everyone want to go towards the lakes. There is a lot of national forest south of Jackson. Everything north is a park or wilderness so ride smart. I found the Gran Teton much easier to ride than Yellowstone, Yellowstone does not have lots of animal trails and is crowded near real trail heads. Great fishing south of town on big creeks which are rivers to us.
    happy stealthy park trails

Cyclotourist likes this.
  3. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I rode there on a trip back in 2012. I'll point you to the TR though it looks like I never got around to posting the Wyoming portion https://www.imtbtrails.com/forum/threads/tr-montana-wyoming-trip-2012.7706/#post-144924

We rode a couple days off Teton Pass which is mostly DH-ish trails. Some trails are natural with steeps and rock gardens and some have big jump lines. Also rode Shadow Mtn up near Teton Nat'l Park and Cache Creek near Jackson. The riding was fun and had good scenery. I'm sure there is more there now but I've never really had the urge to return.

With nearby Grand Targhee resort and other trails I'm sure you could fill a week if you go. A day trip through GT/Yellowstone parks would make for a good rest day.

I'd also highly recommend a side day trip to the Lionhead near West Yellowstone. Some of the best backcountry riding in North America IMO that could be shut down to bikes soon.

Cyclotourist and mtbMike like this.
  4. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Did you carry bear spray? I'll definitely be dragging in the rear with the group on this trip. :confused:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?