Happy Christmas 2021

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by herzalot, Dec 24, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Alright you Hooligans, before you go too deep rehashing the 2020 thread, let's post up our Christmas Merriment on a brand-spanking new thread!

What are your Christmas Eve rituals? We are cooking up some chili, then we will be baking and decorating Christmas cookies. Egg nog consumption will occur.

Not traveling to see anyone tomorrow, just the three of us hanging around together.

Wishing you all a safe and Merry Christmas!

Here's our 4' table top Charlie Brown tree...

Christmas Tree 2021.jpg

2. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    We go to Applebee’s and go look at Christmas lights after that. We have been doing that since our kids were little.

Merry Christmas to my Imtbtrails familia!!

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    This will be the second Christmas in a row that is ruined by covid. We cancelled our plans last minute. Usually, we'd be celebrating with the inlaws tonight. Christmas Day is spent with my side if the family. My mom had a big Christmas dinner planned for us which she will still cook. I asked them to enjoy their dinner and then call me so that I can stop by to drop off gifts and pick up some yummy ham dinner for take-out. In closing, not all is lost but there has been some exposure scares this past week within the extended family, and also for us. :facepalm:

Stay safe everyone. Merry Christmas!

4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Had a nice Eve, going out to Heroes in Riverslime, then walking around looking at the Mission Inn lights. Usually we just stay home and do stockings, but this was nice!

Happy Christmas, 'arry!

5. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    I'm reminded how awful it was last year at the hospital. This year much better around here anyway.
    Our youngest home from her first semester away at college, and our first empty nest experience......sooooo good to have her home!
    Hope ya'll have a great evening and Christmas tomorrow!

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Pretty mellow day around here... A few homemade treats, and just hanging out. :thumbsup:

Although I did find some time to finish the new wheel, and get a tire mounted. :laugh:

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    We are at a get together with our extended family. Food, family, gift exchange…..and only 5 mins from home.

8. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Kind of different these days. Christmas Eve used to be a very big deal with the extended family, but with so many of them moving out of town it’s just us and the kids having tamales tonight, and prime rib tomorrow. But like Scan, having my brood back from school has been wonderful.

mike, UPSed, SnakeCharmer and 11 others like this.
  9. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Have to mention: we chose to not travel to TX for the in-laws Christmas, and we’re glad to be missing it. One brother-in-law flew in and immediately tested positive for Rona. He’s stuck in quarantine in a hotel room. Father in law woke up with a sore throat and cough. Another sister-in-law tested positive today.

There’s a reason I stay home for Christmas…

mike, Oaken, Danmtchl and 11 others like this.
  10. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Between super expensive flights, covid test costs and new variant I opted not to go back to BC for the holidays. Even driving wasn't appealing with current storms all the way up the coast. So instead I get a free week to do trailwork and ride hero dirt. Maybe try the trip home again after omicron has (hopefully) peaked.

Walleye, mike, Danmtchl and 13 others like this.
  11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    The end of my Christmas Eve....

FB_IMG_1640394670504.jpg

Merry Christmas IMTB family!

Walleye, mike, Oaken and 16 others like this.
  12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I got new short liners and a few pair of new socks.

What did you get (bike related) from Santa this year?

64DC063A-49B0-4BA6-98C4-E0F185313F6C.jpeg

mike, Danmtchl, bvader and 9 others like this.
  13. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    A weird one here, for sure. I've been in quarantine upstairs since testing positive on Tuesday. I ate Christmas Eve dinner in the office on facetime with the girls downstairs. I'll go down briefly to open presents with all the windows open, and me sitting in the next room, but within sight. My neighborhood did a dog parade last year since so few people were traveling, and it is apparently now an annual tradition. The girls will do that, and I'll watch it pass from the driveway. Not a very Christmasy Christmas, but still much to be grateful for and reflect on. Merry Christmas to all you Hooligans.

Walleye, Cyclotourist, mike and 18 others like this.
  14. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Merry Christmas all! We weren't able to get together with my lifelong friends and make the tamales this year because I had the flu. They did a drive by on Thurs and dropped off 3 dozen and bags of rice and frijoles and that was really nice. So we had tamales Thurs and last night for dinner. Plenty more for today but I may need a break; am thinking chicken chile verde since I still have a bunch of fall veggies from the garden, peppers, garlic, onions in cool storage and there is still a ton of rice and beans! :thumbsup:

Walleye, Cyclotourist, mike and 14 others like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    :( :(

Sounds like you have a positive attitude though. Good on ya! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Cyclotourist, mike, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  16. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    s
    :thumbsdown::thumbsdown: That’s rough man.

Cyclotourist, mike, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  17. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Bummer Matt but at least your family is right nearby.

Cyclotourist, mike, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  18. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Merry Christmas to all.... This is a non standard xmas. I started with an at home Covid test on the 23rd. Went to my daughters home (1st time) and had lasagna (a long standing tradition). Went to late candlelight service. Unrapped presents this morning. Now ready to bake the rib roast (Another tradition).
    Happy trails to you, this Christmas Day

IMG_2014.jpg

19. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    don't make this a tradition. get well soon. merry Christmas

20. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    In some ways, for sure, but could certainly be worse as well. Daughter loved her gifts, and had a great morning. That's the win, and everything else just kind of falls away.

21. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

mike, buggravy and Danmtchl like this.
  22. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    We gotta schedule a Bug ride ASAP to turn (I mean rail) the corner.

Cyclotourist, mike, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  23. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    The following is probably self indulgent. You can read it if you have a minute to waste. The following is true as far as I remember correctly.
    And, yes, I really am old and I am really from Canada not the imtbtrails Canada.

A Christmas story.

Alberta, Canada. December 1963.

At this time of year my thoughts often take me back to that Christmas.

Some of the details of that holiday season have faded but some of the feelings and memories are as vivid as yesterday.

I had just turned 8 in November and was really looking forward to Christmas. I was the "baby" in my family and my three older sisters liked to act like they were my mom. This was both good and bad as they looked out for me but also nagged me to death. My brother, the oldest, was out of the country and wasn't there to stick up for me.

Winter came early that year and our pond was frozen and prime for lacing up the skates. We had some good fun slipping and sliding on our old skates. It was a really cold day and we were soon ready to head back to the house to warm up. As we took off our skates I noticed that my feet were pretty numb and I couldn't feel much. Not frostbite cold but they felt like stumps. I decided to "skate " around on the ice with just a pair of wool socks on my feet. This prompted my sister Marianne to tell me to cut it out and put my boots on or I would catch pneumonia.

Well, the next day, Sunday, I wasn't feel well at all. I barfed a couple of times and had a high fever. Off to the doctor we went. The diagnosis? Pneumonia. My skating with socks and being cold of course had nothing to do with my bacterial pneumonia – but I remember Marianne feeling really bad about what she had said.

I guess I was in rough shape because I was admitted to the hospital that night . I believe the reason was to try and get my fever down and because they needed to give me large doses of penicillin. The oral penicillin back then was not strong enough I guess so they had to give me a huge shot each day in the old butt cheek. I remember that hurting – a lot.

I was feeling sorry for myself because I was going to miss school. It was the last week of school before Christmas vacation. It wasn't the school work I was going to miss that bothered me but the fun activities like the Christmas concert, the school assembly with a movie, and our class Christmas party and gift exchange. I wouldn't be sharing the excitement with my family and friends.

They put me in a room with three other boys. One had been hit in the eye with a snowball. One of the other guys was constantly being poked as they took blood samples every day. I'm not sure what was wrong with him but he was not happy with the nurses.

Every afternoon the nurses would wheel a girl into our room for a visit. She was a cheerful kid and she lifted our spirits. We looked forward to her visits. As I said they wheeled her in. She was in a crib-like bed with both legs in traction and casts. The nurses told my family that her Dad had come home drunk and thrown her down the stairs and both of her legs were broken.

After a day or two the kid that took the snowball to the eye was discharged. The boy who was having blood taken every day was told that he would not be going home for Christmas. He was really upset and crying and wouldn't cooperate when they would come to take his vital signs. I remember the nurses telling him that if he didn't open his mouth so they could take his temperature at they would have to roll him over and take his temperature “the other way”. I remember feeling really bad for him. I kept asking when I could go home but it was looking like I might not make it home for Christmas either.

After a week in the hospital my condition improved and the Dr. told my parents that I could go home – just in time for Christmas.

I vividly remember walking into our home and seeing the Christmas tree all decorated and the Christmas lights in our big window. But, even more than the excitement of Christmas “things”, I had an overwhelming feeling of love and peace. I was home. I had parents and sisters that loved me. I realized how lucky I was.

Merry Christmas imtbtrails family. May you be blessed to spend your time with the ones you love.

CBone

Walleye, Oaken, da big hills and 14 others like this.
  24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Happy Christmas to y’all.

Low key here as usual; a nice ma-in-law visit this week and snug as a bug. Intermittent snow showers getting me piqued for my new career as a fat bike musher.

@buggravy, hang in there and good wishes for recovery.

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Thanks for sharing that tale. Helps us remember to be grateful when everything is fine. Merry Christmas to you @CBone!

mike, Cyclotourist, buggravy and 2 others like this.
  26. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Merry Christmas

mike, herzalot, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  27. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Merry Christmas all! Good day with family, makes me feel blessed.

No ride today but have been doing yoga for the last few days. Makes me realize how much I missed it. As the trails are a mud fest tomorrow most likely will be a road ride. Cold, but that's ok.

28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Who are you, and what have you done with Dan? :confused: :laugh:

29. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I know...wtf... I'll have to re think this. .....:confused:

Old&InTheWay and herzalot like this.
  30. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    We had a fairly low key year. It's been hectic with the youngins, daughter is 10 moths old and into everything.... Balanced by an active 4 year old.

Christmas Eve we laid low,. Same as Christmas day, we even skipped cooking and got Indian take out for Christmas dinner.

365 days later, on Christmas Eve, my son finally pedalled his bike. (For more than a short burst).