Happy Bikesgiving!

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Mikie, Nov 27, 2014.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Thanks Herz, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and to everyone here. We all have much to be thankful for.

We celebrated with a wonderful family dinner on my wife's side this past Sunday. Today, we celebrate with my side of the family. Tomorrow or the next day, weather permitting, we will join other family members from my side up at our family house in the high desert for a short visit. We were hoping for a chance for snow but it appears to have been removed from the forecast for that area.

2. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    Happy!!! Happy Thanksgiving to our IMTB family,, big hugs from us both with much love always ♡♡

Old&InTheWay, mike, Luis and 17 others like this.
  3. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Thanks Herz! Blessed indeed, thankful for you Hooligans!
    We’re staying home to play in the snow today. Tomorrow we host about 15, that is if they can make it up here in the snow.

E3DB5FE8-3C1F-4452-AD94-D37054A30895.jpeg

4. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Great post. Happy Thanksgiving @herzalot and all the the imtbtrails family. Thanksgiving has long been my favorite holiday for the reasons stated above. We have a long standing tradition of visiting my little bro in the burbs of New Orleans for a Cajun style Thanksgiving, followed by what we call Red Friday, where the boys (my Dad, brother, and more recently my nephew) go out into the marsh and flyfish for Bull Redfish. This year little bro's family is going through some turmoil, and we're taking a one year (hopefully) hiatus, and I'm in CO visiting my wife's sister and her family. Driving over Vail pass, seeing snow, and people snowboarding and skiing at Copper and Vail was bittersweet. But my wife lost her mom to cancer on Thanksgiving day 5 years ago, and this is the first time she has been with her sister on this day since. I can see that this is very healing for them, and it's obvious that this is absolutely where we are supposed to be this year. Also got news this morning that a friend and coworker is nearing the end of his second protracted battle with cancer, and won't be physically with us much longer. All said, lots of sobering information coming at me offering good perspective on just how good I have it, and how much I have to be thankful for. We're probably in for a pretty adventurous drive on Saturday making our way over Vail and Loveland passes to the Denver airport, but I actually look forward to that.

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Beeeyooootifull!!!!

6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Happy Thanksgiving iMtb'ers!!

A great day it is. Today will be spent with my side of the family, so will be driving in this rain for some time, but it's an adventure for sure. Haven't seen many of them for months or more so really looking forward to it.

Tomorrow, I'l be cooking at home for the wife's side of the family. Cooking the Turkey and all the rest should be fun!

My plans a couple weeks ago were to ride this morning and tomorrow morning, but that's out. So some yoga to prep the day and I'm good to go! On a side note, the yoga seems to be helping with the torn rotator cuff stretching. But damn does it hurt....no pain no gain :)

Have an awesome day everyone!!

And @buggravy I too lost someone just before Thanksgiving 5 years ago. It truly makes me appreciate every day I have and those I love.

7. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    At home with family and a couple of friends.
    If anyone is alone and wants to join us, send me a message and I'll get you the address. Traditional American style with Chinese accents. Football on the TV, weed and bikes in the garage.
    Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    We typically do Murrieta for Christmas with nephews and their families. :thumbsup:
    And yes, more than happy to do a ride in Santi Oaks. I need someone to show me some of the other trails there. I have only done a few.

10. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
  11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Heading over to Moorpark this afternoon to celebrate Thanksgiving. Jennifer's mother and aunt and ourselves. Far cry from the giant get togethers I grew up with. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Happy turkey day. If you eat too much you can ride tomorrow.

13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    :mad::(:thumbsdown::)

14. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    upload_2019-11-28_8-46-17.jpeg

HAPPY THANKSGIVING imtbHOOLIGANS!

I too would like to wish EVERYONE here at imtbtrails including the lurkers, a very happy Thanksgiving, with safe travels, great food, and festivities! I think this is our 6th imtbThanksgiving and I know I have so much to be thankful for.

Our Thanksgiving has been postponed for today. The Interstate 5 is closed through the the Tejon Pass with no foreseeable change. We go to my Mom’s which is only 40 minutes away. She has about 6 inches of snow while we now have about 18 inches here. Even Lancaster and Rosamond are getting snow right now! We will probably attempt to get together on Saturday if weather allows.

I can’t tell you all enough or how much I so appreciate all of you! This place is so often oxygen for my soul. Gets me through tough times, brings shear joy when I get to ride with any of you. I love how we put differences aside. That can’t even happen with relatives around the dinner table at Turkey time!

Please pray for the amazing men and women far from home serving our Country as they do not get to hold hands and say grace at their own family tables.

Happy Thanksgiving Hooligans!
    Love you all!

Mikie

15. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Happy Thanksgiving y'all!!! :D

16. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Except for hanging out with my mom (I will see her tomorrow), and my beautiful girls (today), there’s no place I’d rather be except for @rossage ’s garage.

17. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    This Thanksgiving I’m also super grateful for foosball. Some mean games already going down. This new table is going to get a workout today

35EE800D-81E6-4099-98D2-8E1D1C598D40.jpeg

18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
  19. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    download.jpeg
    Happy bird day everyone... Looks like there's gonna be lots of leftovers around here since the majority of the family is snowed in up in Canada.

20. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    This year, for whatever reason, there seems to be a fair number of people who want to re-write history and describe the first Thanksgiving as something not to be celebrated... or that native Americans didn't participate... or whatever. So in the spirit of slaying "fake news" wherever I find it, here's some historical perspective for your 2019 Thanksgiving Day festivities!

*****************************************************************************************************

The most detailed description of the first Thanksgiving comes from Edward Winslow in Mourt's Relation: A Journal of the Pilgrims at Plymouth, written between November 1620 and November 1621 (first published in London in 1622):

"Our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that so we might after a special manner rejoice together after we had gathered the fruit of our labors. They four in one day killed as much fowl as, with a little help beside, served the company almost a week. At which time, among other recreations, we exercised our arms, many of the Indians coming amongst us, and among the rest their greatest king Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five deer, which they brought to the plantation and bestowed upon our governor, and upon the captain, and others. And although it be not always so plentiful as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want that we often wish you partakers of our plenty."

Foods That May Have Been on the Menu

Seafood: Cod, Eel, Clams, Lobster
    Wild Fowl: Wild Turkey, Goose, Duck, Crane, Swan, Partridge, Eagles
    Meat: Venison, Seal
    Grain: Wheat Flour, Indian Corn
    Vegetables: Pumpkin, Peas, Beans, Onions, Lettuce, Radishes, Carrots
    Fruit: Plums, Grapes
    Nuts: Walnuts, Chestnuts, Acorns
    Herbs and Seasonings: Olive Oil, Liverwort, Leeks, Dried Currants, Parsnips

What Was Not on the Menu
    Surprisingly, the following foods, all considered staples of the modern Thanksgiving meal, didn't appear on the Pilgrims' first feast table:

Ham: There is no evidence that the colonists had butchered a pig by this time, though they had brought pigs with them from England.
    Sweet Potatoes/Potatoes: These were not common.
    Corn on the Cob: Corn was kept dried out at this time of year.
    Cranberry Sauce: The colonists had cranberries but no sugar at this time.
    Pumpkin Pie: It's not a recipe that exists at this point, though the pilgrims had recipes for stewed pumpkin.
    Chicken/Eggs: We know that the colonists brought hens with them from England, but it's unknown how many they had left at this point or whether the hens were still laying.
    Milk: No cows had been aboard the Mayflower, though it's possible that the colonists used goat milk to make cheese.

21. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Turkey and Stuffing sandwiches on King's Hawaiian bread for the leftovers :thumbsup:

22. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Ohhhhh yeah!

23. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Might need some tailwindzz endurance fuel to eat em all...:)

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Happy Thanksgiving to all of you... :inlove:

Easy day for us... Both kids are home, the wife will do some cooking, and the relatives are all 3000 miles away. :inlove::ninja::laugh:

@Danimal - You're finally making some progress with the shoulder? :thumbsup:

25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Is she making........Chicken Nuggets?

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Happy Turkey Y'all.

Short drive to family lunch......

Suz is currently peeling apples for a pie. :p:inlove:

27. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Maybe Turkey Nuggets given the holiday?

28. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

There are no substitutions for the original.

29. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Happy Thanksgiving to all, even those in Canada

Old&InTheWay, Faust29, mike and 7 others like this.
  30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :eek:That’s imtbCanada you hoser!
    Happy Thanksgiving cagey! :thumbsup: