Guerilla Gravity

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by herzalot, Jun 25, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That is a thing of beauty. It may become my new wall paper.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    That is spectacular!!!! Love the coil shock too. It says "hey bud, let's party!"

3. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    drooling.jpg

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    This is all music to my ears, Matt. You speak a lot of good sense. And for sure, when you pulled that frame out of the box, I can dig that all the ruminations and gyrations got kind of blown away... And you haven't even ridden it yet! Enjoy the process – cheers!! If I make it down, we have to hook up with @Sassyquatch for a Smash party. AYE! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam

Love that color!

6. Sassyquatch

Name:
    Sam

...like it’s 1999, baby!

7. Sassyquatch

Name:
    Sam
    I feel pretty lucky I got one of the last XXLs and one of the last Al frames...I’m a little bummed they are going CF, although if the strength claims are half as good as they say, it could work for me if need be. I feel no urge to upgrade...loving mine the way it is!

I am disappointed at how the size 4 reach is shorter than the old XL by a bit (8 mm I think), not that 515 is ideal for me either...hopefully they end up making a size 5 if and more likely when Smashy breaks....

8. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Lookin' good!!! That color really compliments it perfectly!

9. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    The FrameMaker 3000 shown in the photos looks like its a resin transfer mold. And there’s been some very recent work on coating dry fibers with thermoplastic to help them stick together while being laid down robotically, followed by resin infusion in the mold. That matters because one of the unintended side effects of this process is an increase in toughness, some papers say up to 300%.

A big downside of RTM has always been the low fiber volume percentage- more plastic for the same amount of carbon, hence more weight. But for a gravity oriented bike it’s possibly worth it. And this process is undoubtedly cheaper than hand layup of prepreg. I’m tempted to order one for research purposes.

Time uses a similar mold (see link) but the automated fiber placement is a better way to make preforms than braiding, for this purpose.

https://www.time-sport.com/tme_int_en/bikes-technologies

10. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Pulled the trigger and put down a deposit on a GGTP, so a few months to get the stoke on! :sneaky: :thumbsup:

11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    That's awesome... ready for some spring riding!

12. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Nice! Feel like sharing specs, or is that still a work in progress?

13. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Yeah, just in time for Spring/Summer!

Going for the race version with a couple changes, but it is a work in progress as I have 2-3 months to decide. That GG can put carbon wheels on at that price point is pretty awesome.

14. Sassyquatch

Name:
    Sam

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Congrats @Danimal. Hopefully that toe will be back in commission before your bike arrives!

PS: Carbon hoops are overvalued. MtB wheels need a little compliance. :thumbsup:

16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Dan, you might be the first rider here on a CF GG. :thumbsup::geek: Trail Pistol, YEA!!!! Next-level build/bike. Really excited to see it unfold. I guess we can include you at the Smash Party. ;):)

17. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Blasphemy.....admittedly, the prices can definitely get out of hand but *at least for me* carbon wheels are something no bike of mine will ever be without. The 37mm ID Santa Cruz Reserve wheels are the best I've ever experienced and I've tried and/or own most of the major brands.

Aside from my SC Reserve wheels, I really loved the 1st generation Easton Haven carbon wheels but they had proprietary hubs that were not that great. By far, the worst riding carbon wheels I had were the 2nd Gen ENVE wheels...too stiff and I actually cracked the beads on both of them in the span of 8 days. ENVE refused to cover the warranty so there was that as well. Based on the posts over at MTBR, I'd say that thousands of people are happy with the "bargain" Light Bicycle wheels as well.

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I don't believe GG would spec a product that does not enhance the build. They are pretty damn selective that way.

I've had carbon wheels on a carbon bike that created a terrible ride, did not work at all. I had another CF bike/wheels that was the most incredible vibration-free ride I've ever experienced.

19. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    That bike jumped pretty high on my N+1 list. Cant wait to hear your review

20. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Hardest part was sizing. The new sizes are 1 thru 4 instead of S thru XL. Putting my info into their size picker i got a size on the Shred Dog of 2 with short headset orientation in all around and 2 long on Full Throttle.
    On the Trail Pistol it gave 1 and long on all around and 2 and long on Full Throttle.
    I chose a size 2. Reason for this is my height on the TP ( 5'-6.5" )puts me right between the 1 and 2 so went size two.
    I'm not an all out rider but it says right on the Headtube "I Like Goin' Fast", who am I to argue with that!

21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Your thinking seems sound to me. The standover is even lower on the CF bikes.

A size you can grow in length is awesome. My Smash is 5” longer than my previous FS 29er, but I could easily repeat every tight maneuver I do. I handily got every switchback on Los Pinos, which I had never done before, and a few others. Confidently maintaining just the right speed to move the back in a tight turn is how I would describe it. And what initially felt like a big bike has become so normal, that I wish my bike had a 10mm flip chip in the headset and I could make it slightly longer. I honestly think an even longer bike will be negligibly impeding as far as tight turns, and will make everything else more fun.

Anyway...you will adapt to your bike and it will be your new normal from which to experiment.

TFPU, D! :thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Faust29, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  22. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    NBD pt. 2. Assembly complete. I’m officially armed and dangerous again. I think my pants moved a little just looking at it.

FD7306D8-B2D4-43C5-95F5-494661570A43.jpeg

MrGreedom, Danmtchl, mike and 17 others like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Mine did. :oops:

MrGreedom, Danmtchl, mike and 4 others like this.
  24. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    She’s/he’s pretty sexy! Congrats!!!!!!!!!

Danmtchl, mike, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  25. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Happy New Bike Day!!!

Danmtchl, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  26. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    That's a good looking bike!
    And I'm sure it's ready to party....;)

Danmtchl, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Thanks, and that’s it. This is post 113 for me since joining this forum, and hopefully somewhere between now and 120 will be my first post about me actually riding a mountain bike.

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, mike and 8 others like this.
  28. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Ho, man... that thing looks like a pretty bomb about to go off.

Congrats, Matt!!!!! Double congrats...new bike and new body day, coming up!!!!!!! Prepare for domination... :sneaky::thumbsup:

29. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Thanks, Mike! Good times all around. And yeah, I'm a sucker for blue & black (and Van Halen/Hagar). Luckily I have a truck to tote the bike, because my other car is the EXACT same color scheme as my bike, and I'd look like I was trying super hard if I showed up with a perfectly matched car & bike.

30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    LOL!!!!!! Right, save the trying hard for the rides :cool::thumbsup:

Seriously, Matt... Enjoy the adventure of a newly capable tool. I think back to my starry-eyed self 18 months ago, ready to smash everything and thinking I had a sort of a mini DH bike. I hadn’t begun to tap the bike’s potential. Now I get that it’s a XC bike for people that like black and harder XC. :sneaky: Words can’t perfectly articulate how the Smash pedals and climbs all day and longer. To me and some others, this was the ace in the hole for this bike. And to yet another subset of GG devotees, we are bummed to see metal FS bikes no longer on the GG menu. Classic comes to mind... I’m super stoked for you...enjoy the ride!!! :thumbsup:

PS: SD Coil, YESSSSS!!!!!!!!

Mikie, Cisco Roots, buggravy and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?