Guerilla Gravity

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by herzalot, Jun 25, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Absolutely beautiful. Congrats! Can't wait to see it in person, and glad to hear that you're stoked on it.

Dayum.jpg

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    The 29er Rekons alone will make that thing feel 3x faster than your Rocky!

Congrats on finally getting the new steed. I know you will enjoy it for years to come. Beautiful bike and nice spec. SRAM rotors with XT brakes - only a small group like GG would do that!

Wanna go ride right now?

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    That was a long gestational period... congratulations on the delivery!

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Congrats, Dan! Thanks for the run down and pics. Next up...scratches :sneaky::thumbsup:

5. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Thanks!
    Yeah, that first scratch will happen I'm sure. Gotta pop that cherry then all will be right with the world.

6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    After 4 rides on the GG, interesting what happens in that short amount of time.

Bike is a couple inches longer, need to get used to that. Especially on the switchbacks.

Hopped on my Rocky Mountain, and the 720 width bars seemed sooooo skinny now....:laugh:....think I'm still going to cut the 780s, but just a tad.

I really like the Shimano 12 speed :thumbsup:, shifts great and is smoother than the SRAM. But the 51 granny seems just too low for a 30 chainring. Probably switch to a 32 up front. I'll make that decision this weekend after climbing to Old Camp.

7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Climb out of Old Camp, then decide. :eek:

mike, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I think the idea behind the massive 50+ tooth rear was to help extend the top end range by using a bigger chainring. I've got a 30 cranking my 42 and that's plenty low for most things - Willow, Mathis, Cholla, etc. Maybe not low enough for Dreaded - never tried, probably never will.

A 30 driving a 51 is stupid low - like climbing a refrigerator door low. Go to a 32 up front at least. Do you have Race Face Cranks?

9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I would leave that 51 tooth as a rescue gear only. Don't even consider it as being there unless you are climbing a wall. I agree that the super low combo is a bit odd but wait until you see what it does for you when you actually need it. Think of it like this, your drivetrain is an 11 speed with a rescue gear.

mike, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  10. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Yeah, the 30 x 42 with 27.5s very seldom got used. So a 30x51 with 29" wheels is pretty darn low.

I have e13 direct mount cranks. I don't know if uses the same Chainring as the Race Face but if it does opens options for sure.

@SnakeCharmer , yep that's a thought. Figure do some climbing this weekend and see. But a 32 would give me more top end! I dunno.....have to see.

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

With a 51t cog....34t is the way to go.

The 34/50 combo was really low. 34/42 was rough from time to time.

Cyclotourist, mike, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  12. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Can ya’ll recommend a good side-load water bottle cage for a metal smash?

Thanks!

Cyclotourist, mtnbikej and mike like this.
  13. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    You tweak a wheel on your first ride with this bike and you want to use a bottle cage?

DangerDirtyD and mike like this.
  14. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I wanted to start using a bottle cage on the TP to do short rides w/o a pack.
    Bought the Zefal side load from Amazon, under $8 delivered to my door, no profit on that one! Anyway it works great for a 21 oz bottle and was good for a 13 mile ride in the evening heat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BWPKYQ/?tag=imtbtrails-20

15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I got mine from GG. Not sure what brand it is, but it has met all expectation and was not too spendy IIRC. It's reversible. Ping Jubal and the lads? :)

PS: Mine looks like this one:

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at   6.41 PM.png

I see a few different branded versions of it which appear to all be this exact cage.

DangerDirtyD, Danimal and mtnbikej like this.
  16. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Yup...in conjunction with the pack of course. I’m no camel.

mtnbikej and mike like this.
  17. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
  18. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    mtnbikej, mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  19. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Lol. That’s what I use. Camelbak Podium bottles.

mtnbikej, mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  20. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    They're great bottles because they don't leak Tailwind juice everywhere, but they don't have the indentation around the top portion that lets the cage grip really well.
    My son and I have bounced a few out of the cages.
    prod117296_IMGSET?wid=586&hei=498.jpg

vs.

THWB-2.jpg

mike, Redman and DangerDirtyD like this.
  21. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @Cyclotourist haven’t lost one yet. Now I’m gonna stress about it. Thanks :rolleyes: lol

SnakeCharmer, DangerDirtyD and mike like this.
  22. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I'm here to help!
    FWIW, the smaller ones don't seem to get bounced off, but the taller full-sized ones definitely do.

DangerDirtyD, Redman and mike like this.
  23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @DangerDirtyD is in the clear seeing only a small bottle fits in his frame. :thumbsup:

24. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    This may or may not help for @DDD, but for anyone that wants to use a Podium on a Revved frame the 21oz version with the standard issue side entry Bontrager fits like a glove. I originally ordered the Lezyne, not realizing it was more of a side angle entry than actual side entry. I was easily able to shake a full water bottle out of it holding it like it would be when suspended from a Revved top tube, and I feel confident I'd have quickly jettisoned a bottle when riding.

6AAF780D-E11D-4D77-8F00-BF3D80F721F2.jpeg

Danimal, DangerDirtyD, mike and 6 others like this.
  25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for that, Matt. Do you think any cage will securely hold a larger bottle like the one you show?

Depletion training may be the answer... :geek::cool:

Cyclotourist and DangerDirtyD like this.
  26. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Thanks Bug! I ordered the Zefal as shown (but not sold a la carte) on the GG website via amazon per @Danimal’s suggestion. It should arrive soon. If it does not work for me, i’ll look at the bonty cages next. The mount on the ‘18 smashed SquiggleBug orients the cage upright on the down-tube, rather than upside down on the top-tube as seen on your revved pistola.

27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    It held just fine today. Some may put it through tougher paces than me, but I had one ejection moment today (me, not the bottle) where the bike ended up laying on the same side that the bottle would theoretically eject from, and it held. I'm gonna call it good until it shows me otherwise.

28. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Now that I've got a few weeks on the Trial Pistol, I think this bike really suits me. For the few things I was going to change initially...

The bars at 780mm I'll keep as is. Now that I'm used to them they really are nice and not too wide.

For the chainring, it actually came with a 32, not the 30 I thought. Even at 32 I think it could be too low but works. Haven't used the granny but for a minute ( it's just too low and slow), and even climbing mustard and STT I'm typically in 3rd and often 4th gear. Still might go to 34...

The Pike fork, most I could get on travel is apx 100mm of the 130. The fork truly feels great on most trails, better than any fox I can recall.
    But as soon as the trail get rougher, like the Luge, it ramps up and ain't fun. So took a spacer out of the fork. Now it feels pretty good, but not much more travel, maybe 105mm. I'll hit the Luge this weekend and see how it does.
    Question, is it OK to remove all the air spacers from the fork? there's one left.

Rekons are awesome tires. Now that the trails are getting looser, might be best to get something with more grip, but these things rock!

I'm getting PRs on segments that I haven't had PRs on since 2015. Now that i'm used to it I just love this GGTP! Rear is a little poppy, and that's with the rebound slow. Might be better with the Pistola shock, but I've adjusted to it and love the climbing ability. Point it DownHill and it just goes....!
    Guerilla Gravity !! :inlove:

29. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Nice, glad to hear you're vibing with it so well! I really couldn't be more stoked on mine either.

Voodoo Tom, Redman, mike and 2 others like this.
  30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    TFPU, Dan. Great to hear! :thumbsup:

Your Pike feels like mine; down to one token and just acceptable performance. Can't advise on no tokens but assume do-able.

Satisfied IMTBGG customers appear to outnumber the unsatisfied. :geek:

DangerDirtyD and Danimal like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?