Greer update from 4/18....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtbMike, Apr 18, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    So this was posted on the Inland Valley MTB Facebook page today. Notice CDFW (Fish & Game) said they didn't post the signs yet they were CDFW signs!!! Somebody that doesn't like MTBR's is probably making their own and going rogue out there!!

Greer Update -
    We have been working closely with the county and the City of Murrieta. We want to extend a special thanks to Michael LaPaglia with Murrieta’s Planning Commission. As a commissioner Mike has been such a huge advocate for us this week. The great news is the City seems to want to help us make Greer a forever MTB home. We have some very exciting things in the works. *CDFW (Fish & Game) has verified that they have not put the sign closures out. Our contacts there are also MTB family which is exciting. We will continue to nurture those relationships. I want to make it clear that we were contacted by the county before this and asked that we please help stop any new building at this site. We did not call them. That’s when we knew the time was right. Currently as always it IS TRESPASSING to ride at Greer. It always has been. Please continue to park off site and ride in whenever possible. Please help by asking anyone you know building to hold off for now. There are some very sensitive areas that have been cut through in the past couple of weeks that have our friends at the conservation level upset. We need them to feel like we are part of the solution. Not the problem. We believe we are fighting a good fight and we are making incredible progress. If you would like more info please feel free to reach out to our President Holly Cass. For now we continue to update daily if needed. Please remember we are volunteers. We spend time away from our families and our paying jobs to advocate on your behalf. We have had some unfortunate responses this past week. So please continue to lift up your local trail angels. They do a job no one else wants to do. Peace , love and Happy Shredding!!

ricke24, MrGreedom, tick and 9 others like this.
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Thank you for forwarding this!

Mikie likes this.
  3. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    sweet!!! i still have a chance to ride there.... someday

4. BurnDawg

BurnDawg Member

Name:
    Bern
    I’m not familiar with the access issues in this area, but it sounds like the land owner complained to the city.

“Currently as always it IS TRESPASSING to ride at Greer. It always has been. Please continue to park off site and ride in whenever possible”

Doesn’t help that IVMTB is sending out mixed signals. Sounds like irresponsible trail use to me and something that goes against their values. Is it OK just because the land owner ignores the trespassing? Should the user groups get written permission before riding/hiking etc on this private land?

A bit a of restraint might be in order because it sounds like Greer may be one jump line away from getting fenced off for good.

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yes.

Mikie likes this.
  6. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    As weird as it may seem and while it may indeed be a grey area....yes its OK if the land owner isn't complaining....especially if it's no secret what's going on there. Right now, there are two private land owners that own 95% of what we ride on and the BLM own the other 5%. Of that first 95%, a housing developer owns about 1/3 of that on the lower area near Scenic View Dr and a lone female owns 2/3 of the land where most of the best riding is. A private land owner did NOT complain or it would have been the jurisdiction of Murietta PD to show up. What occurred was somebody without any authority posted CDFW signage without CDFW's knowledge....and quiet frankly CDFW doesn't show as having any landowner status on the maps I have seen. However, there may be something I don't know.

Somebody posted on MTBR that the County of Riverside Parks recently purchased an unknown amount of the land. According to the post, the Ranger told this MTB rider that the County wants to clean it up, ban the motorized off road activity (dirt bike, 4x4 trucks) and the discharge of firearms that currently occurs back there. They *supposedly* want to make/allow a DESIGNATED trail system in the area, allowing MTB's and hikers. The Ranger specifically told the rider to spread the word that any further trail building needs to stop but they could keep riding the current trails, other than the Rabbit Hole trail. We'll see how that all pans out.

7. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Awesome!!!

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  8. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Burn dawg... related to monk dawg perhaps? Rip

kazindeep, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  9. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam
    Good stuff...TFPU...Insidious and TMB are “ok?”

Mikie likes this.
  10. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Yep, they just said to stay off Rabbit Hole...mostly because it drops into the drainage is the concern

code3, Mikie, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Thanks for this!

code3 and Mikie like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?