GoPro 7 Hypersmooth

Discussion in 'Video Cameras' started by no worries, Oct 13, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    I borrowed a neighbor's GoPro Hero 7 Black, as I'm thinking about picking up the new 8. I really wanted to see how the Hypersmooth digital stabilization worked. I'm super impressed! It requires a bit of cropping, but in the widest view there's still plenty of action on the screen (at least from a chestie mount). Take a look!

(click through to Youtube and select 4k for best quality)

2. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Fast looking trail, looks like a double track mostly.

Obsidian, Mikie, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Nope - the stuff on the video is all singletrack. Wide in places, but not fireroad wide. There are roads that connect the trails in Whiting, but none of them made the video. The trails in there are grin inducing - slight downhill pitch, but the kind you still want to pedal. If we still had triple cranks, it's a big-ring ride. Twisty, turny with dips, little kickers and tree canopy for much of it. Also very crowded at times.

As for the 4k - my computer didn't like it. It wouldn't load completely and was constantly buffering. You were hauling the mail though. Looks like the Jeffsy agrees with you, @no worries

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I just got a Hero 7 Black and I too am impressed with it. Which video editor did you use before it went on youtube?

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Unless you have an external 4K monitor hooked to your MacBook Pro, there’s no point... You ain’t got enough dots. :D Most PCs are the same...

That’s why I stick to 1080 for uploads... plain old 2K.

6. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I wouldn’t call it double track either, but it is not a single track as if there is one line. I’ll call it a 27.5 plus trail, the kind with options.

Obsidian, MrGreedom, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Brad, that’s awesome! Nice vid and ride! Poked super smooth!

8. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Thanks! Brings back some good memories of Whitting, especially when the deer crosses in front of you...

Obsidian, MrGreedom, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  9. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    I meant to mention that. I downloaded the free version of DaVinci Resolve 16. It's free but it's a full featured editor. I'm loving it.

Obsidian, MrGreedom and SnakeCharmer like this.
  10. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    The issue is that Youtube gives a video bandwidth based on the resolution. First when you upload it, but also when you download it. So you should always upload a 4k rip, and if you're watching a video you should always click the 4k option, even if you're watching on a smaller screen. Even if you shoot in 1080p, when you render, render 4k just for the Youtube upload. It's silly, but its been that way for a long time.

Obsidian, MrGreedom and Faust29 like this.
  11. no worries

no worries Member

Name:
    Brad
    Current Bike:
    Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    If I'm not sharing too much, here's another video of Camarillo at El Moro that I shot on today's ride while I still have the camera on loan.

This vid is not fast :) But I did clean it! :)

12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I didn’t know where to plop this…
    @SnakeCharmer you suggested a GoPro to get, I really don’t want to buy new. I want to stick to a handlebar mount that I have.
    Anyone selling a used GoPro? It has to have video stabilization as a feature.
    Maybe I’ll toss this on the Classifieds. Thanks in advance!

13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

I was looking at used ones on KEH (reputable photog site…), but the wife intervened and said, “buy the newest one, dummy. You don’t upgrade often.” :laugh:

So I did… Went from a Session 5 to the new Hero 11. I’m in love with it, even if I’m not in love with GoPro’s software…

Honestly, I would have loved anything from an 8 on…

Obsidian and Danmtchl like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I'd buy a new one but a recent past model for a discounted price. Look for a model 7 BLACK (not WHITE or SILVER) or newer. Model 7 (and up) is when GoPro got it going on.

Mikie, Obsidian and Danmtchl like this.
  15. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    If all you want to do is record rides and you're not going to start vlogging (put it away no-one wants to see that anyway) then you don't need the latest and greatest. I'd look for an 8, good stabilization, easy to use. I'd expect there will be big discounts on 8s shortly as they run out the stock. I picked mine up earlier this year for well under $250, they will be close to $200 soon enough and you get manufacturers warranty if anything goes wrong with it.
    I wouldn't waste your time buying used, most floggers out there seem to think their worn out junk is worth close to new prices.
    Just an fyi, handlebar mounts are ok but you will get a lot of noise coming back through the bars. I started with my camera on the bars but now run a chesty for the best shots (and least feedback noise), theres also the added bonus that the chesty makes your saggy man boobs look pert again :thumbsup:

16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I bet you lunch he ends up with a 10. :whistling:

mtnbikej, Mikie and Lost Kiwi like this.
  17. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    :laugh:

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  18. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    You are a cheap date so I'll sign up to that wager.

mtnbikej, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  19. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Mikie likes this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    There's a really fun little drop off to the right at 1:25. Hit it next time!

There's also a sneaky upper line between the rocks on the left at :38 - not faster, but fun to try. :thumbsup:

Mikie and Obsidian like this.
  21. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I have a 7 Black, almost never use it. I love the OG Session I have. I just use it for still photos here and there, sometimes just taking screenshots from a video. Just use the helmet mount, and the Session is light.

22. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I have the Hero 8 Black.

Feedback on it....the thing bricks on me almost every ride (using quick record, it won't turn on until I pull the battery out and put back in.) Sometimes it will do this when the battery is still above 50% and won't work with that same battery period until it has been fully re-charged. So you're SOL unless you have second battery on hand.

Other weird glitches...If the batteries are left in it, the go pro will randomly turn itself on. It's only done that and actually started recording once far as I can tell. When I hit the quick record button, sometimes the camera will power on but not record. At least it beeps 3 times again when that happens. Usually happens once or twice every ride.

23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    And a bonus to the Chesty is you don’t need a heart rate monitor as the world gets to hear it on your vids. I know… I have an old Chesty. :rolleyes:

Obsidian and Faust29 like this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have the Session 5, and love the size. But after seeing the quality from the newer models, I got the upgrade bug. Impressed Hero 11 owner for the last few weeks...

And now I'm looking at the chest mount for my USWE backpack... Damn upgrade bug. :laugh:

Lost Kiwi, Old&InTheWay and Obsidian like this.
  25. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Sounds like yours is possesed! :eek:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?