Good Read....Singlespeeding the Tour Divide

Discussion in 'Bikepacking' started by mtnbikej, Jul 13, 2017.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    That's OK. Singlespeeders seem to love a long, arduous journey! Tenacious and stubborn bunch.

3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 Times SC, Oh My.
    I couldn't sleep last night, and that made for a really good read at 2:00.

If I ever tried something like the Divide, I can't imagine doing it in race mode. More like snail mode. That guy definitely had the racer mentality from start to finish.

And 32x18 gearing for consecutive 12000 foot days. o_O

UPSed, Old&InTheWay, HBkites and 4 others like this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Racing the Divide and similarly long BP courses has become a game of sleep deprivation. Cool..I guess.

But simply pedaling hard all day every day? After a week it's just another day in the office. If you survived. :eek:

I can't imagine racing it, either. (I'm an anti-racer, tho.) I think being in a hurry through all that excellence would absolutely ruin it. Hell, a touring pace still makes you feel like you're blowing through cool places that deserve hang time. To each his own...

Cyclotourist, UPSed, scan and 7 others like this.
  5. OTHRider

OTHRider Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '14 Giant TCX SLR2 Cross Bike
    I've got a friend of a friend in this year's Tour Divide. He took off with the traditional race start, but with a stated 30-day finish goal. He's hooked up with a Spot so I've been following him.

He's become a slight celebrity among the racers and followers as he isn't the best at directions. He has traveled, backtracked, fell, backtracked, shortcut, skipped trails etc so that it took him over 1200 miles to get 500 miles into the "proper" race course. He entered into the US at an illegal crossing point but the authorities found him - no fine or arrest. He finally made it to Helena, MT yesterday and is back on course......for the moment.

I can't imagine ever trying to pull off something like this, especially at 69 years young.

Cyclotourist, UPSed, herzalot and 8 others like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    700 miles of bonus riding....who's counting?!?!?!?! I really like the sound of your friend's friend. Power to that honey badger!!!!

7. OTHRider

OTHRider Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    I guess it pays to be a "little" off.

He's now at 1800+ miles in with many more episodes of "lost". Northbound racers are stopping him to meet the legend. He still has no idea why people want to meet him and get their picture taken with him. Yesterday, he took a deliberate detour over to Absolute Bikes in Salida for a repair. Seems the owner has raced the Divide and had also heard of Wrong-Way Mark. They chatted like old friends and Absolute sent him on his way for FREE!

You gotta love the MTB community.

kioti, mike, doublewide and 6 others like this.
  8. OTHRider

OTHRider Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    Finally, Mark finished up in Antelope Wells, NM. The winner was a tick under 16 days and Mark persevered for 45. I'd love to see his total miles stats versus the "coarse mileage".

Let's hope we can all pull off rides like this when we're 69 years young.

kioti and mtnbikej like this.