Golden Eagle Trail . . . my Old Faithful

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Mikie, Jan 3, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Had to stick around local this weekend and got a great ride in the day before with a master plan by none other than Maddog who put a simple twist on 5 Deer which made it Legen . . . . wait for it . . . dary!

So today I went over to cruise my local favorite, Golden Eagle Trail.

20 minutes from the house I cruised over to hit the trail at 9:30 in attempt to get SOME kind of warmer temp. When I got to the trailhead it was 42 degrees but with no breeze, so I headed up the trail.

I have written about Golden Eagle many times before and just amazed that more people don't come out to ride it more. I was also bummed that more So Cal Mountain Bikers don't get out more to do trail maintenance. I'm thinking this as I'm climbing the trail and I start seeing trimmed branches on the trail....hmmmm.

There was plenty of Moto tracks, but I saw only one set of mountain bike tracks on the hero dirt and I just know they belonged to Maddog because I know his current front/rear tire configuration so I'm thinking, "That awesome dood has been up here doing more trail maintenance!"

I continue to climb and continue to see small branches cut, then come around a corner to see a major branch cut and I'm thinking hmmm, that's a chainsaw. Maddog does not carry a chainsaw... I keep going.

All the while I'm seeing about 3 pairs of footprints so I'm confused a little. Turns out it was three hikers with 3 dogs just out for a Saturday hike (I NEVER see that on Golden Eagle).

I cruised up to the end of Golden Eagle and went no further today as I was by myself, so no SOT for me today... :(

Moved several branches off the trail, there are a bunch of trees down across the trail on the very upper section, but in all honesty the trail was in EXCELLENT CONDITION...! Dirt was HERO, Only some real minor trimming needs to be done to have it in really good shape. The upper trail needs more traffic but was much more rideable than the last time Scottay and I did it.

So I start heading down. Cleaned the boulder section (yay!) Met back up with the hikers in the mid section (now they know why I had a bell on my bike :) ) Got to the last (Lower) section and hit it for the fun run back to the Mini.

Just as I got to the last 1/4 mile of singletrack I see a guy with an IBIS shirt on trimming on the trail! What the . . . ? Despite how much I wanted to finish my STRAVA time, I stopped and talked to him. Turns out it’s Kirk a rep for IBIS out doing some maintenance. Turns out he is a Frazier Park local. He had set up a group ride for tomorrow (Sunday) and had been trimming on the lower section for the last two days. NICE! I told him I had other plans (but I have already re-arranged them as I write this). I told him that I have been interested in the new IBIS HD Series and he says, “I got the IBIS van and have a few in there, you want to take one for a spin?” ………………………… :|
    IMG-20150103-02797.jpg IMG-20150103-02795.jpg IMG-20150103-02794.jpg IMG-20150103-02793.jpg IMG-20150103-02792.jpg IMG-20150103-02791.jpg IMG-20150103-02790.jpg IMG-20150103-02789.jpg IMG-20150103-02788.jpg IMG-20150103-02787.jpg IMG-20150103-02786.jpg IMG-20150103-02785.jpg IMG-20150103-02783.jpg IMG-20150103-02782.jpg IMG-20150103-02781.jpg IMG-20150103-02780.jpg IMG-20150103-02779.jpg IMG-20150103-02778.jpg IMG-20150103-02777.jpg IMG-20150103-02776.jpg IMG-20150103-02775.jpg IMG-20150103-02772.jpg IMG-20150103-02771.jpg IMG-20150103-02770.jpg IMG-20150103-02769.jpg golden.eagle.01.03.2015.jpg

I said not now as I was spent from riding several days in a row, but, I’m now going to the 10:00am meet time at the trailhead tomorrow with a set of pedals in hand. Suhweet!
    I took off and finished my ride back to the car. Weather ended much closer to the perfect range and I putted home…

Would love to invite some folks up to ride Golden Eagle with me some time, it’s really a classic!

2. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Great pics! I gotta get up there some time!!

3. Old Skool

Old Skool Member

Hacienda Hgts. (Turnbull Cyn. is My Backyard!)
    Name:
    Rick
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 5.7 C (w/ 650b's)
    Mikie,
    I would love to come up your way soon and sample some of the dirt in your 'hood, Golden Eagle has been on my 'to-do' list for quite some time. I will set something up maybe w/ Tom The Bomb, yeah?

Mikie likes this.
  4. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Ya I am in on that. We will get Fran up there too. Nice RR Mikie. Wish I coulda made it. P.c.e. Is coming in a couple weeks!

5. Maddog

Maddog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Greg Madison
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer 275
    Great RR Mikie! Yah, not me working on the trail this time but probably my tracks from last Thursday I think. Who else runs the classic 2.1 WTB Velociraptors :crazy: ! Still have 2 sets stashed away from past sales at $20 bucks per! :thumbup: . When I'm out of those, I'll buy a new bike!

6. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Beautiful pics!!

I'm coming up soon to ride - be ready!!

7. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    YAY! :cool: :D :)

8. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Nice RR!
    I've got to get up there and try Golden Eagle! Soon, yes, soon.... :)

9. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Come on up and I promise some ice cold 805's with an amazing view! :cool:

10. surftime

surftime Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    luke
    Current Bike:
    Yelli screamy Stump Jumper FSR
    thanks for the writeup, wish that trail was closer to the OC! Looks like it has a lot of flow and some great views

11. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    That is what I run... rear only. :thumbup: :thumbup:

12. DaveO

DaveO Newbie

Name:
    David OSullivan
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem
    Mikie,

Great meeting you and the guys yesterday. What an awesome ride. So close for me and I've NEVER done it. Sorry I couldn't stay and help and BTW, I'm testing out one of the HD3's as well...

DaveO'

Mikie likes this.
  13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    DaveO!
    It's such a stoke to meet someone that is a member of imtbtrails! It was awesome to meet another great rider on a local trail, hope we ride again soon!

14. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Newbie

Name:
    Mike Fitzgerald
    Current Bike:
    trek ex 5
    anyone wanna do this today

15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I'm in. What time? I live 20 min away from the trailhead.

16. BBJohn

BBJohn Member

Name:
    John
    Lucky.

I know in your head you said that in your best Napoleon Dynamite voice. :)

17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Golden Eagle Update...
    Rode G.E. yet again today. It's hard to get tired of with the views and spectacular trail ending. There was a breeze today and a bit on the chilly side. Was going to ride with Mike Fitzgerald but he had to bail due to traffic.

No secret I hate riding alone, but I forced myself to. Climbed the fire road and jumped on the singletrack at the first crossing. Went out to the end of G.E. didn't hit any SOT.

Trail is just on the slightly too moist side in some small sections. Against my better judgement, I hit the last DH with STRAVA in mind to see how the heavy trail maintenance from last weekend would flow. It was awesome!

After 2 years of effort I finally nudged past Tom Rogers on the final descent. However, J-Chap smoked us all as KOM this last week. Nice job Josh! :eek:

Trail is the best it has been in years right now. Very exciting!

STRAVA: <a class="postlink" href="https://app.strava.com/activities/241930982" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://app.strava.com/activities/241930982</a>

18. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Craig
    Mikie, looking at yours & other Strava riders of the GE trail. I notice some take the fire road up & some go straight up GE. Is there preferred way? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

19. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I like taking the singletrack up, however there is a lot of people who prefer the Fire Road. The Fire Road adds some miles and does have some steep-ish sections and does add some nice views to include a great shot of Quail Lake.
    Last couple of times I have taken the road up just to change it up some...

20. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Craig
    Good & bad news! I'll start with the bad news, sorry I knocked you down the Strava totem pole. My Strava name is the same here mtbbiker. At least this can give you another goal to get in front of me:)

I did this trail today & it reminds me a lot like the San Juan trail but smoother. I chose to go up GE trail instead of the fire road, so that I could recon the DH!

Some how at one of the road crossing I got lost, but continued up the road. Luckily for me as I was climbing the FR I spotted my mistake & could see the sweet SS on my left & soon was back on the trail. I loved how this trail starts you out with bushes & soon in the trees. The views were spectacular & I'm glad I've bagged this trail as there's nothing like riding new trails!

Thanks again for the suggestion & if you're ever around Temecula, hit me up for a ride. We've got tons of good stuff!

Mikie likes this.
  21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Double Dahmeet :lol: . Never hit my trail again! :D

Awesome buddy! Glad you enjoyed my side of town...
    I hope we DO get to ride together soon...
    ...and Oh, I WILL redeem myself, oh yes . . . . I will.

Bike On mtbbiker!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?