Golden Eagle Summit

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Old Skool, Feb 2, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Old Skool

Old Skool Member

Hacienda Hgts. (Turnbull Cyn. is My Backyard!)
    Name:
    Rick
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 5.7 C (w/ 650b's)
    I have been eyeballin the Golden Eagle trail for some time and started seeing some RR posts the past few weeks about the great shape the trail is in right now and how much hard work Mikie and his crew have been putting in up there, so when I saw a post on the Trailhead forum about a ride on Saturday, followed up by a text from Tom The Bomb, I was quickly committed. What turned out was a full on Summit Meeting w/ guys representing the OC, IE, Bakersfield, Lebec & SGV to hook up and sample Mikies little gem (epic) of a trail. I am not too good at remembering names but here is the best I can recall, we had Mikie from Lebec , Mikie McGuire,

Tom The Bomb from Rancho Cucamonga, Rick from Hacienda Hgts, Steve & his cop partner from Bakersfield (I asked him his name at least 3x and still forgot!), Rossage from Alhambra, Nate and his crew of 2 others from Laguna, Lunar Bill from JPL

Total bummer that Danimal could not make the ride as we heard that he had a kidney stone issue, hope you get well soon Dan! We missed you on this one.
    Tom & I rolled into the trailhead area at the ruins of the old Sandberg Hotel at around 9:30 am, after gearing up and introductions made to a bunch of new faces, we were greeted by our most gracious host for the day, none other than the one and only Mikie Watson! a few minutes later we were promptly greeted to the official Rossage ‘crack-whore’ greeting (big white BA)! Once we all stopped laughing and all eleven of us were all suited up and ready to roll, we rolled down the Old Ridge Route Rd. (RRR) You just know its never a good sign when the ride starts off w/ a 2-3 mile downhill section, because you just know what’s coming next, yep…a lot of uphill. We turned up Forest Service Rd. 7N14 and just plugged away at about 4-5 miles of steady fire road climbing that averaged about 6%-7% grade. The best part of GE is the spectacular views everywhere you look. Once we regrouped at the top, we then set out on the Golden Eagle trail. It is obvious that Mikie and his local buds have put a tremendous amount of work into this trail and it truly is a hidden gem! Our group had a great flow w/ Ross providing non-stop narrative for all who happened to be riding next to him along the ride! There are a few sections on GE that get kind of tight and Tom The Bomb was gracious enough to help Mike out and brush back some of these sections w/ his 7' wingspan Once we got to the end of GE and regrouped, we ran into another group of 6-7 riders from the Woodland Hills area and there was so many riders at this point that it looked (and smelled :cool: ) like a rock concert going off. We hung out for a bit and took in some spectacular views and then headed back down GE and bagged some epic single track, with the bit of moisture we have had over the last couple of weeks, the dirt was some serious Sh!t!! Mikie had given us the heads up that the real ultimate payoff was the last DH segment that starts when you get back to the main fire road, Mikie and his crew have really bushed back this section and Tom and I were flat out hauling azzz in tandem no more than 10’ apart, in a complete synchronized flow, not sure I ever had so much fun on a bike before, for this being our first time on the GE, I was surprised how fast Tom & I were flowing, but Mikie made sure we knew who truly owned this trail as he took off and we never saw him again until we got down to the cars. Mikie flat out smoked this segment (Mikie, it looks like you went from No. 8 to No. 3 on the Strava KOM top ten for this segment) way to own it buddy!!
    This was a great trip and really showed how IMTB is working to put so many great guys from all parts of SoCal together and share what we love so much about mountain biking…right on Mikie, we love your site and appreciate all the hard work you put in this site, I can hardly wait till we head up your way again for the Punch Bowl Rim Ride.
    IMG_1629 (2).JPG IMG_1597 (2).JPG IMG_1591 (2).JPG IMG_1599 (2).JPG IMG_1627 (2).JPG IMG_1634 (2).JPG IMG_1631 (2).JPG IMG_1630 (2).JPG IMG_1592 (2).JPG IMG_1602 (2).JPG IMG_1616 (2).JPG IMG_1617 (2).JPG IMG_1607 (2).JPG IMG_1619 (2).JPG IMG_1614 (2).JPG IMG_1635 (3).JPG IMG_1632 (2).JPG IMG_1633 (2).JPG IMG_1636.JPG IMG_1637 (2).JPG IMG_1639 (2).JPG IMG_1640 (2).JPG IMG_1641 (2).JPG IMG_1642 (2).JPG IMG_1643 (2).JPG IMG_1624 (2).JPG

Mikie likes this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    Great ride report - beautiful day and palpable stoke! I rode with N8 on Sunday and he had nothing but good things to say about you guys. He was already telling stories about Rossage - so your legend is growing below the Orange Curtain. He also mentioned something about Mikie not wanting to reveal his identity at first. Not sure what that was about. Nate was impressed with the magnificence of Tom's trademark flowing bandana - and who isn't?! Oh, and for the record, Danimal was with us Sunday and managed our entire loop plus lunch at Wahoos upon completion. He was a million times better than Friday night. Riding with two fit and attractive female riders probably helped his motivation.

Nice ride gents. I'll get up there to ride w/y'all sometime, although by then you will all have used that "foes" feature to block my posts. :shifty:

:wave:

Mikie likes this.
  3. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Nice job, good read, Rick. I agree that last segment was off the hook blazing fun. Those shaded forested areas with the green clovers were beautiful! Mikie you have got a sweet one up there! Was really fun meeting the Laguna, S.G.V. and Bakersfield people. Now everyone knows why Ross is in such high demand. He entertains so much we forget we are climbing. We climbed for 1hr. and 45 min. and I swear it felt like 30! This is what I enjoy so much about mountain biking. There is nothing like hanging with good people and haulin tha mail together down epic single track!
    Thanks to Mikie we are all 1. It was a blast. A pleasure meeting everyone and yes I will be back Mikie! So glad to hear Dan is feeling better, must have been the female companionship :mrgreen: If it were'nt for Mikie and you Rick I would not have been going nearly that fast! :eek: That roosted corner may have looked like I knew what I was doing but I a sure you I was not sure how that was going to turn out! Baaaaalllllllz Baby!
    Oh and Mike make sure you thank Robin for the cookies. I thought Rick was gonna steal that cranberry one right outa my hands!
    TTB

Mikie likes this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    What a Rockin' Right On "Godzilla!" Ride Report!
    Man! This was the Supah Summit of imtbtrails!
    What a great day it was for me to put faces to names and to hang out with some who's who of grass roots mountain biking.
    I laughed so hard I'm not sure I'm sore from the ride or laughing.

Looking forward to next time. We should do a Southern California Tour where each region hosts a sweet Epic.

Thanks!
    Mikie

5. T-2

T-2 Member

Name:
    Tom Shaffer
    Current Bike:
    Carbon Stumpy EVO
    Sorry I missed out, your R&R makes me want to do this. Nice write up Rick

Mikie likes this.
  6. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Thanks so much for the kind words and amazing photos.

You drive that extra mile and you get so much more back in return. Love riding up at Golden eagle.

Mikie likes this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Baseball season needs to end! I want my Saturdays back! Sh!t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikie likes this.
  8. abuck55

abuck55 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Wow..! Looks like a great ride! I missed out! (Next time)
    Oldskool, that was a great ride report!! Thank you for sharing...
    T-Bomb, nice of you to donate blood. :)

Mikie likes this.
  9. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Nice report. A fun time with good people enjoying a shared interest. Gets no better than that!
    Appreciate the pics and report so I could be there in spirit!

And yes, the having girls along on the ride w/ Hrz helped. Had to put in a good showing. ;)

Mikie likes this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Finally More Pics...
    It was nice to be on a ride that "someone else" writes the ride report! This is the first time I got to meet Rick and he is a funny dude! What a great job on the report and pics.

As you can see . . . EVERYONE was miserable and we could barely get smiles out of anyone. In fact, the stoke was so high, they found it horrible to have to be stuck in the middle of nowhere, with Mikie, on some Epic trailage... Man, again this was awesome!

Here are some more pics of our commiserating misery! :lol:

IMG-20150131-02918.jpg

IMG-20150131-02919.jpg

IMG-20150131-02920.jpg

IMG-20150131-02921.jpg

IMG-20150131-02922.jpg

IMG-20150131-02923.jpg

IMG-20150131-02924.jpg

IMG-20150131-02925.jpg

IMG-20150131-02926.jpg

IMG-20150131-02927.jpg

IMG-20150131-02928.jpg

IMG-20150131-02929.jpg

IMG-20150131-02930.jpg

IMG-20150131-02931.jpg

IMG-20150131-02932.jpg

IMG-20150131-02933.jpg

IMG-20150131-02934.jpg

IMG-20150131-02935.jpg

IMG-20150131-02936.jpg

IMG-20150131-02937.jpg

I was in heaven getting to share the fruits of serious trail labor and I'm totally prepared to sacrifice myself again to have to ride G.E. with some of the most incredible people on the planet . . . my imtbtrails family!

Bike On!

11. tehnak

tehnak Newbie

Name:
    tehnak
    That was a lot of fun! I definitely need to do this more often. Great pictures too.

Mikie likes this.
  12. Old Skool

Old Skool Member

Hacienda Hgts. (Turnbull Cyn. is My Backyard!)
    Name:
    Rick
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 5.7 C (w/ 650b's)
    Orange is the New Black!!
    I thought you knew :lol: :lol:

Mikie likes this.
  13. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike: