Gett'n my Mojo back

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by LLPoolJ, Nov 24, 2018.

1. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Well besides a few bike park and assorted group rides I have not had the ambition to ride much for many months. Plantar in my foot took alot out of me the last year or so. It seems to be on the mend.
    Turkey weekend approached I bought a new bike and was excited to ride the surrounding areas around Prescott.
    We left Wed and arrived at my Son's house around 10pm, 9 if without the time bump. Had a Sedona point to point planned for Thu. Dinner was a late pickup so we had time. Had the wife and someday D inlaw drop us at Aerie TH. We would meet them later at the movie theater in town.
    We ended up cutting the ride a bit short due to energy levels dwindling and a call from the G store saying they were closing early. Dinner became priority then. Aerie, Mescal, Chuckwagon, lizard head then the road to town. Lots of fun stuff on these trails. Both of us took soil samples me gettimg the worst of it. Sore shoulder, hip and some slickrock rash. That stuff is harder than concrete. The ladies left the movie early which gave us a few more minutes to drive the 1+ hr drive back to Prescott to pick up dinner. It was delish. 15ish mile ride.
    Fri was a me day with to rides and a lunch date(optional but was in my plans) with the Wife and her Aunt and Uncle who live in Presc. also.
    A few months back I went to the Prescott MTB festival and caught wind of some newish trails that were being built. The shuttle was full that day so I put it on the backburner for this weekend. MTB project had an interesting route through the area. I parked a few miles past the Thumb Butte TH, medium sized gravel parking lot. It was empty at 9am. 14 miles was the intended mileage less than 2000 in ele. West trail was the start, fire water, willy nilly tractor, noodle, juniper gate, westside story, russ t fender, tatanka, javelina then back up west trail. Great loop! Also had a squirrel leap from a rock to a tree less than 2' from my face. That was a hoot.
    Made lunch 2min late tasty taco plater and a bit of chatter with the family. Went back to the boys house he was working the wife snd DIL were shopping. I cleaned his patio and garage while I semi rested for the 2nd ride which was out of his drive way.
    I had done this ride b4 it included a dbl track mostly flat trail to Watson lake. The lake is surrounded by granite and more granite. A trials trail awaited. Lots of puzzles to solve on the 1+ mile masterpiece. Cleaned a few more sections that I had'nt b4. Found a trail map containing info on other trails not sure they are rideable. A hike will happen in the future. Ended up back at the house with a big smile and sweaty clothes. Success!
    Had an hour to relax b4 the boy got home. Dinner was had after he arrived. Wife, the Boy and myself @Rosas. Mmm Italian great place. DIL was working and Jealous.
    Sat morning the Boy and I planned a point to point shuttle from Badger Mtn to the house. Becoming a tradition each time I travel there. 15ish mile ride with 1000'. Good time was had. Took very few pics this weekend like usual. Not a photographer and riding is more important. I put a few up in the One comment photo thread.
    Great weekend and am excited about riding again. Hope it lasts.

2. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Good news James, I hope the mojo sticks around for a looong time:thumbsup:

Faust29, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  3. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Thanks for the report. Keep it up and stay stoked.

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Right on, James. Follow your passions, no matter where they take you. If it's MTB, sweet :thumbsup:

5. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Ahh bullshit, you ain’t going to quit riding! :)

Old&InTheWay, mike, Faust29 and 9 others like this.
  6. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Ha, no plans on that.

Old&InTheWay, mike, Faust29 and 9 others like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Glad to hear you are recovering the stoke. It ebbs and flows. Recognize the ebbs and let it go - do something else for a while. When you come back, it's infatuation all over again. :inlove:

I am speaking about mt. biking. Not such great marital advice. Probably still true, but the "do something else for a while" part is fraught with complications. :confused:

mike, Faust29, mtnbikej and 9 others like this.
  8. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    It's good to have James back!

mike, Faust29, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  9. Grego

Grego Well-Known Member

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Keep your Mojo Risin'

mike, Faust29, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  10. hill^billy

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Of course not, just razzin ya. Especially when you have Prescott to ride around on.

mike, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  11. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    About 60 miles of dirt in 2.5 days. Good numbers for me. Felt strong made some improvements in my tech riding also.

Sidewalk, SnakeCharmer, scan and 10 others like this.
  12. hill^billy

Name:
    Doug Lake
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB-66
    Amazingly, I have never ridden in Prescott, got to change that!

Sidewalk, scan, mike and 5 others like this.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    The people I ride with are the stoke for me. Biblically they say iron sharpens iron.
    For me surrounded MTB stoke sharpens MTB stoke!

Rarely do I ever ride alone. I don’t think I’m all that motivated to do that on a consistent basis. I gotta share the popcorn at the movie!

Mountain bikers + bicycle + dirt = stoke!

scan, mike, Faust29 and 10 others like this.
  14. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    I am a loner at heart.

Sidewalk, mike, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    :stop: Stop it.
    You will have more stoke and passion for the sport. Promise!
    Shred sharing, is caring! :laugh:

scan, mike, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  16. Luis

Luis iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    So what did you do for the plantar @LLPoolJ ?
    I went out and bought new riding shoes to replace the worn out ones. Also went back to Shimano SPD trail pedals for the added foot support.

UPSed, mike, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  17. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Well not sure. I don't think it was the cycling that caused mine it was work. I put inserts in my shoes, they were uncomfy and still are but the worst foot is now healing, the other foot healed quuckly. I stretch it every morning b4 I put it to the ground. Less irritation when its warmed up. I also took and take a nap most every day to slow myself down. I tend to over do life. One other thing is driving, my right foot the bad one hurt during and after. I now make sure to adjust my foot often and stretch it also. It took well over a year to solve. And I aint done yet it still flares up from time to time.

Luis, UPSed, Sidewalk and 9 others like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Somewhere in this fun forum, I think we discussed that you (@Mikie) get your energy from others. The more, the merrier. Ironic for a man who lives out in the sticks. :p
    Some of us are wired a little differently.

I LOVE riding with 1-4 friends - waaaaaay better than riding alone, but when groups get much bigger than that, I have the opposite experience. Big groups feel lonely to me, and frustrating. Lonely in that I am not the fastest or best rider, nor the most gregarious person, so I sort of disappear off the back. I don't "join the race" that invariably happens up front. Big groups are frustrating in that the overall progress is slowed about 5 minutes per person in the group over a standard 2-3 hour ride. A lot of that is fun banter. Some of it is mistaken navigation, mechanical problems, discussion over route options, nursing a cramping rider (most likely me), etc.

I think @LLPoolJ and I may be wired similarly - there is a sweet spot of stoke that varies by rider. :thumbsup:

mtnbikej, UPSed, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  19. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    True for me. I will do group rides. Thu is my regular one but they are short not much time to put me in a mood, although it does happen from time to time. My brain opts to the negative(often and uncontrollably) during small talk, politics, bike parts and weights, work and movie talk. I like sh!t talking and goofing off, some people can hang with this and I know who they are and will seek them out for company. On group rides I lead or follow in the back as to not have to talk to others much. Everyone does it there own way. Makes this world go round. Hope everyone had as good of weekend as I did. Now off to work and then to San Diego to camp with the Wife and Pup near the beach for a few.

mtnbikej, UPSed, Sidewalk and 8 others like this.
  20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Count me in for group, couples and individual therapy. Herds not so much. :geek:

mtnbikej, UPSed, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  21. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    How is the teardrop trailer build coming along? Maybe you need to have more quick overnight getaways to switch things up?

Sidewalk, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  22. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    It will resume soon, it was put aside during the recoop process, 8-10hrs of work plus 2-3hrs working on it made my foot worse. Regarding get aways I get many of those. We have a life size trailer that I use. I think the injury was putting me in depression because it was feeling more permanent with each day it went on. Now that its healing a more positive outlook is on the horizon. Finally

23. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9
    The race is the gravy. Why invite others along, be it 2 or 20, to hold anyone back?

mtnbikej, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    James, I hope you've tried a PF foot wrap. It's helped my PF a lot. Just a simple one that wraps the mid foot, cheap and easy.

25. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Wow hang in there J! I had Plantar about a year ago and I believe it sent me into a bit of depression also. I had no idea what was the problem, not sure how it healed either.

26. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    You got your Mojo back?!

APGB287.jpg

27. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    I did and do. Not sure if it helps or not. Stretching has helped the most along with the insert.

DangerDirtyD, Luis, mike and 3 others like this.
  28. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Like @mike said, Group, not Herd.
    For the Epic stuff I’m in with up to 5 or 6 guys max as it’s a long day usually fast paced, big climbs, and often technical. Large groups take all day, often have some guy with shifting problems, a snapped chain...:rolleyes: or a clunky head tube...:oops: that holds others up.

The herd rides are the socials. I have no expectation other than to pedal my bike and meet and greet as many as possible. Those are fun in themselves but a different kind of ride.

My normal everyday rides are usually 1 to 3 guys max.
    But I rarely ride alone...
    “One is the loneliest number that you ever knew....”

29. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    One is not lonely IMO. I like to ride and run solo, but then I was a stay at hm mom for a very long time.:eek:
    I like all kinds of rides, group is fine, small group is even better, large group could be fun I guess but there is a lot of waiting around, and I can be socially awkward in large groups. I guess it’s good to step out of our comfort zones once in a while tho:thumbsup:

30. Sidewalk

Sidewalk Well-Known Member

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I tend to prefer riding solo most of the time. I force myself to be social and do group rides, but still tend to find myself charging out front or sitting way in the back doing my own thing. So...I get it.