Getting Back to the Goods on the Goose

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by mtnbikej, May 13, 2019.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Today was the day I would finally get back out to Gooseberry Mesa....it had been several years. We had planned to head out there after True Grit this year, but the wet winter made the road out there damn near impassable.

We got an early departure, but forget how long it takes to get out to the trailhead....doesn't help when you get stuck behind 3 asphalt trucks doing 15 MPH up the first part of HWY 9. Once on the dirt road, it went a little quicker. you could definitely see where the huge ruts from the the vehicles in the mud had created over the winter.

Geared up and ready to roll.

@Faust29 was getting his first taste out here. After Kokopelli and Zen, he was getting his fill of SW Utah tech.

There was no rush today. Expected the legs to feel heavy and fight me. However once on trail they were happy to be pedaling.

Up South Rim, it takes it time warming you up.....not really, it it pretty much work from the start. Was really enjoying the techy climbs and general line playfulness.

I would take a light tumble....or more of a stall, and shoe stuck in pedal tip over...into a branch that did a good job of ensuring I'd leave a little blood on the mesa as always.

Fun ride out to the View Point. A few of the climbs were not doable on this day. Some of it was tired legs, some of it was the mud puddles at the bottom.

We'd make our way back down South Rim and drop into Hidden Canyon....still probably the best trail out there. It's got a bit of everything, even a tree and rock chute I couldn't get the 820mm bars through.

Across White Trail and over to Windmill Trail. I always get my navigation wrong on this side of the mesa....today was no different. While backtracking near Bowls and Ledges we came across a big group of riders. They were a little lost. I was talking with the guy in front, when I hear this foreign language being spoken amongst the othes.....turns out @Faust29 found his people...a group of German riders. Weird place for that.

Back on the right path the trail seemed to go by much quicker. It warmed up, but never got hot.

Good times out there....I'm glad we were able to knock this one out.

18 / 1285'

IMG_5006.JPG IMG_5007.JPG IMG_5008.JPG IMG_5009.JPG IMG_5010.JPG IMG_5012.JPG IMG_5013.JPG IMG_5014.JPG IMG_5015.JPG IMG_5016.JPG IMG_5018.JPG IMG_5019.JPG IMG_5020.JPG IMG_5022.JPG IMG_5023.JPG IMG_5026.JPG IMG_5027.JPG IMG_5028.JPG IMG_5029.JPG

konakc, UPSed, Danmtchl and 17 others like this.
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    @mtnbikej, do the Hightowers have a 44 OS fork?

Danmtchl, Mikie and Tom the Bomb like this.
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Not sure.....looks like 51mm.

4. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    It looks like 44mm to me, that's why I asked. Is the bike designed for 27.5+/29?

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Yup...but I haven't really noticed it.

6. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    If the label on the fork says "27.5+/29", then I would think that it's 44mm. Makes the bike more lively. I noticed that right away when I switched from 51 to 44. Shorter wheel base does it, I guess.

7. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I agree with you on Hidden Canyon. I really enjoy that trail. Maybe because it has a little flow to it compared to the other Goose trails.
    Nice report.

herzalot, Danmtchl, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.

And this pops up in the picture slot machine... As we're talking about exposure in another thread. It's like the forum is spying on us. :cautious: :eek:

UPSed, Danmtchl, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    Shorter offset calms down steering by increasing trail. It's kind of complicated for my little brain to handle. If you increase fork offset, you decrease "trail" and thus quicken the steering. 29ers automatically decrease trail, so the decreased offset that is now common on 29er forks increases trail and calms down the steering. Increasing offset would make the steering more lively.

At least that's what I've read: “The painful truth is that single crown forks flex more than dual crown forks (a greater problem as you rake out the head angle) and we can compensate for this, and the subsequent nervous steering, by reducing offset, increasing trail and calming that steering down.”

https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/fork-offset-head-angle-trail-342679

or "With increased trail, you get a more stable feeling bike. " https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/fork-offset-basics-and-what-it-means-for-you/

Decreasing fork offset increases trail.

Ooops - thread derail. Let me see if I can re-rail. Ah hem (clears throat).
    "Speaking of increased trail, I would love to increase my time on the Gooseberry Mesa trail!"

DangerDirtyD, UPSed and Danmtchl like this.
  10. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    51 offset feels long and lazy to me. The 44 feels more balanced and it improves turning and maneuverability since it shortens the wheel base. My observations are based on 29" wheels which is all I roll.

herzalot and Danmtchl like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?