Gel shorts...

Discussion in 'Shorts' started by jaime, Mar 21, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    Mikie likes this.
  2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    As the resident fashion consultant, I feel compelled to write something here, but I am speechless. Enjoy responsibly! :wave:

Mikie likes this.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Sorry.... Not buying it.
    Formula: herzalot+speechless= oxymoron
    Examples:
    Jumbo Shrimp
    Military Intelligence
    Herzalot Speachless

Okay!
    Shorts!

Jaime, everyone knows I'm a Lycra shorts guy and I have found no better short in the Lycra style than Pearl Izumi. They have in my opinion the BEST pad on the market. They typically sell retail for around $89 bucks. You can get them on sale often. I wish I knew as I just placed a pearl Izumi order as I get them through a source for literally half price. So that would be top of the line Pearl Izumi's for $45 bucks!

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I second Mikie's Pearl recommendation... I have a couple pair, and they are the best.

I had a source for Shimano/Pearl gear, but he didn't survive their downsizing last year. :(

Mikie likes this.
  5. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Name:
    AKA:Alan
    Another option is Performance Bike's house brand stuff, they have a couple of shorts in your price point. I have a couple pairs of their bibs and I like them a lot.

Mikie likes this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Just get one of these for $9.09!

:thumbup:

All kidding aside, spend for the Pearls. They are worth it (I am told by trusted sources). They're not gel, however...

Gel Cover.jpg

Mikie likes this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Dude,

Gel shorts and gel saddles create more problems than they solve.If you ride so much you need gel shorts-then you probably don't need gel shorts.
    If you ride once a month on the beach path, you might need gel shorts. If you plan on real mtb'ing, and you spend that much time in the saddle then you need to re-assess your riding style.
    MTB "SADDLES" are for riding, not sitting down as you cruise over obstacles like a tank. They are a device that helps you control your bicycle. If you cannot control your bicycle, please ride down in front of me so I can have a good laugh as your seated ass goes over the bars on the first big bump you encounter.
    Shorts will lessen the impact somewhat but sooner or later you will either have to HTFU or move on....
    You cannot MTB while seated or carnage will result.

Mikie likes this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Rossage - you should know by now that I am the consummate smarta**. My "suggestion" was pure sarcasm. I am well aware of the function of a saddle, which is why the gel covers are so hilarious for anything but a beach cruiser.

On a related note, do you remember the URT suspension designs of the early and mid 90s (Trek Y bikes, Gary Fischer, Klein, Schwinn, etc.) They were designed to be active while seated and were virtually locked out while standing. Opposite of what a real rider needs. Then, there was the Allsop softride "beam" the absolutely worst idea in mt. biking. Ever.

rossage and Mikie like this.
  9. Black Licorice

Black Licorice Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nomad

But I get tired going downhill so I have to sit down... :cry:

Izumi Pearl has always had a strong following when I did research for a chamois. Seems to be a trusted and reliable brand.

Mikie likes this.
  10. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    For huggies, Pearl Izumi's are great.
    I think I like Voler even better.
    What I like best is the gripper at the bottom of the legs. They stay in place.
    They also always have stuff on sale, and send discount codes if you give them your email.

Mikie likes this.
  11. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I'll throw in a couple cents, mostly confirm what the other's are saying, gel is not usually the type of chamois/pad you find on high end shorts/liners for a reason. However, a "brand name" does not necessarily mean everything within that brand is created equal (I know this from having to do a "deep dive" :eek: into chamois/pads a while back for reasons you'd rather not hear). Can't speak for every brand, but quite a few have a lower level chamois/pad found on their cheaper stuff, and a high end pad on their high end stuff. If you're not doing 5+ hour rides the lower level is probably fine, but man the high end pads are niiice. Voler and PI are certainly good brands and I've got one of each, but I actually found a high end Fox liner that is my favorite pad at the moment. Here's a link to the different pads Voler has in their different shorts and what they recommend them for. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.voler.com/connect/detail/li/ComparingVolersPads" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.voler.com/connect/detail/li/ ... VolersPads</a>

The other thing to consider is the leg gripper. Some are silicon which pulls my leg hairs out and irritates my skin, some are a double fold of lycra which I find the most comfy.
    Good luck finding what works for you!

PS: Doesn't matter if you go Lycra as the outer or just cut off a pair of old sweatpants at the knee to pull over them, but get a good chamois/pad. Cutoff jeans are too unstretchy for me and that big butt crack seam kinda negates the pad anyway. :angel:

Mikie likes this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I also have a couple pair of the Performance brand. I like them, but the wife strongly advised me not to wear them after about a year, when they became quite see through... I now use the older ones just as liners under baggies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikie likes this.
  13. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    I do use a pair of canari velo gel, but after 2 hours my butt is sore, and going downhill I stand in my bike, I have never fall going seated, more likely when I dont know the trail or when trying dumb things... :)

Mikie likes this.
  14. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    And to all and each one of you... Thanks a bunch for your info, will look on those links !!! I like when you get a bunch of comments when you need info !! This site rocks !! ;)

Mikie likes this.